Notices

Shields

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 05:21 PM
BostonGrl819

vCash: 500
Shields

Don't know if this was mentioned...if it was, sorry...but Shields won't be returning to the Bruins even if he's not taken in the waiver draft.

Here's the link to the Globe article:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/...er_draft_list/

Old
10-02-2003, 05:25 PM
scotiahockey

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
man, sometime oconnell's brilliance outsines the sun! addition by subtraction, cool mask or not.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Rumpy

Thank You

Well guys every wish has came true all of the dead weight is gone Sheilds Oliwa and Mcinnis are you guys sure O Connell doesn't read this site??????

Old
10-02-2003, 05:41 PM
neelynugs

great news for sure. the one thing that i need to correct OC on is the playoff comment. yes, potvin has a pretty good track record in the playoffs, but so does shields. in fact, shields has won 2 7th games in his career. but i'm pretty happy that he's gone, gone, goodbye. see ya stevie!! nice work again by OC

Old
10-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Still a Bruin fan

I'm glad that got taken care of.
Potvin/Raycroft and Toivonen getting fine tuned in Providence.

I'm so pleased by this, I had to let the main board know the good news.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:46 AM
bb74

Say goodbye to "Sieve Shields" - too bad they didn't do this last year and buy him out during the season as opposed to sending Grahame to TB (who's being slotted as a potential starter for a decent team above Khabby.?) Maybe on the negotiations they would have had a bit less leverage that with him but at least that would have cleared 04 payroll to sign another player - 800K buyout for a pre-season tryout is pretty steep in my book! OC should have know he was getting a backup when he signed Sieve - and he should have seen it coming when Shield's first "reported" comments after signing were that he was going to enjoy his summer on the west coast and try to spend as much time as possible surfing - now, I'm not suggesting that these guys should get into a monastery or anything, but 2M per annum is 40G's a week - that means you work on getting better in every possible way - strength, technique, etc.

On another note, if anyone saw Grahame & Shields play in Boston they ALWAYS went down too soon and left huge holes up top - this went on all season and when Grahame went to TB, he corrected this (with the local goalie coach?) and put up some good numbers. I know that they are pro's but what's up with the goalie coaching not being able to correct this fundamental error - when one looks at what "Alaire" (sp?) has done with guys under his wing one may think that this is a pretty critical coaching job on the team that the B's should have more focus on - how about getting Roy on a consulting contract for our guys - I bet that would be a better investment than the 800K buyout on Shields..

Thought on the matter?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:57 AM
sagginb

This just had to be expected by Shields.
I have to say IMO it's the right way to go for this team.
I am not sold on Potvin much more so than Shields but think Potvin would seem to be a better guy to keep around and not make waves the way Shields does.
How do you think Potvin would react if Raycroft started to get more of the starts?
IMO it's Raycroft who the B's want to step to the plate more so than Potvin.
He is just the veteran here, so not to put so much pressure on young Raycroft.
Sounds to me like Potvin is a good guy and should kinda see his role...he at the same time must see this as what could be a last chance to show he is still a #1 in the NHL.
There looks like there can be a balance between these 2 more so than the Grahame/Shields duo of last year...who are both set in their ways of thinking.

I think Potvin will do his usual good game here and there but we well want his head at times as well...it's Raycroft I want to really get a chance to play.
I hope they give Andrew close to half the starts...say 30 or even 35 this season.

BTW...Who thinks Potvin will still be playing for the Bruins at the end of the season?

Old
10-03-2003, 04:13 AM
bostontrevor

As typical with this management, they think they hold better cards than they do. So we hold and hold and hold until the moment to move is past and then we get crap all for our assets.

And yes, I think Grahame was hung out to dry. It's true that he wasn't getting it done, but during that slump NOBODY was. None of the goalies, not the defense, not the forwards. Nobody was doing jack out there. Grahame has been around for a while in and out of the big time and he hadn't shaped up yet, but damned if I didn't think he was a better choice than Shields. Boo. (I guess I'm still a little bitter)

Old
10-03-2003, 04:15 AM
bb74

Potvin is here to stay for at least this year - the bruins don't have any other choice with their fiscal approach.

Additionally, Potvin is supposed to have good character, should get along well with the team and has enough experience where the team should trust him to make the saves - something that the B's have been missing for the past 2 years in Goal. A 50 / 32 split should be enough to keep him happy - they can ride him on his streaks and try to get Raycroft in when things get bumpy - Then ride either who is hot in the playoffs - if Potvin can get hot as in the past he can carry the team deep (deeper than anyone the B's have has in net the past 5 years plus) This should keep everyone happy about putting in the nightly effort...

Keeping Toivenen in Providence allows the B's to sign him to a 2 way contract thu next year giving them some flexibility during the potential lockout season as well.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:19 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
No surprise at all. I think this move has been coming since Mike O'Connell spelled out his displeasure with the goaltending last spring. He more or less singled Shields out. If that wasn't enough to see it coming, in the latter weeks of the summer, he openly discussed the Joseph acquisition while at the same time having Raycroft be a starter in Boston. I think all along it's been more a matter of when, not if.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:38 AM
Stock Rocks

One comment that says it all was O'Connell's remark about Toivonen. That if an injury occurs, the team has confidence in his ability to come up and perform.

Toivonen was the wildcard. As O'Connell alluded, if Toivonen had looked shaky and completely out of place, they probably would've kept Shields around as insurance. Once Toivonen displayed the ability and poise, that was pretty much the end of the line for Shields.

I was one of those last year who really thought he would elevate his game here, and I was completely wrong. It's too bad. Then again, Bryan Murray knew exactly what he had in Shields when he traded him. You don't get top goalies for third-round picks. So, I can only hope that Raycroft and Potvin can get it done, or it's going to be another long, frustrating year in Boston.

Picking up Brian Boucher would be an intriguing move... I'm not as sold as some on his upside. He strikes me as a guy who has been overrated for a long time- and is still living off of his good performance in the 2000 playoffs. But, I do know that he and Bryan Berard grew up together and are best of friends. There was an awesome article in ESPN the Magazine on them about three years ago, but aside from that, I'm not chomping at the bit for the Bruins to try and land him.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:55 AM
pei_bruins

Send a message via MSN to pei_bruins
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74
On another note, if anyone saw Grahame & Shields play in Boston they ALWAYS went down too soon and left huge holes up top - this went on all season and when Grahame went to TB, he corrected this (with the local goalie coach?) and put up some good numbers. I know that they are pro's but what's up with the goalie coaching not being able to correct this fundamental error - when one looks at what "Alaire" (sp?) has done with guys under his wing one may think that this is a pretty critical coaching job on the team that the B's should have more focus on - how about getting Roy on a consulting contract for our guys - I bet that would be a better investment than the 800K buyout on Shields..

Thought on the matter?
Actually the Bruins signed Bob Essensa as goaltending consultant last month. He's replacing Cheevers who had held that position. From what I've read/heard, it's not a full-time goalie coach, but it's better than nothing, even if it is Essensa, who wasn't exactly the best goalie in the league when he played. Maybe we can steal Andy Moog from the Oilers this offseason. At least I think it's the Oilers that he goalie coaches for...

Old
10-03-2003, 06:37 AM
Stock Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei_bruins
Maybe we can steal Andy Moog from the Oilers this offseason. At least I think it's the Oilers that he goalie coaches for...
Nope. Moog is assistant and goalie coach for the Dallas Stars.

Another former Bruin, Pete Peeters, is goalie coach for the Oilers.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:51 AM
ThorntoNeely198

Send a message via AIM to ThorntoNeely198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock Rocks
One comment that says it all was O'Connell's remark about Toivonen. That if an injury occurs, the team has confidence in his ability to come up and perform.

Toivonen was the wildcard. As O'Connell alluded, if Toivonen had looked shaky and completely out of place, they probably would've kept Shields around as insurance. Once Toivonen displayed the ability and poise, that was pretty much the end of the line for Shields.
Completely agree. Isn't that funny, though? The obvious, intended wild-card was Andrew Raycroft. I think Hannu was one of those situations where they were just going to give him a cursory look, let him mess around with the big boys for a few weeks, then get him down to a lower level so he could mature.

But Shields is gone.

I'll be dancing in the streets should anyone require my services.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:31 PM
BroonBabe34

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There really is a Santa Claus.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:15 PM
DArnold850

Shields

Don't know what the future may hold, but Steve Shields is on the current 27-man roster released by the Bruins today. Travis Green is also on the new roster. There are currently 3 goaltenders on the list... at least for now.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:48 PM
sagginb

Give it time!
I can't believe Shields will play a game for the B's.
I always feel kinda bad when a goalie (or any player) seems to hit the wall but IMO Shields has little left to offer the NHL.
The goalies seem to show faster than the skaters probably because there is so few on each team but when it goes bad for a goalie...it can go down hill fast.
Maybe there is a team out there who needs a cheap backup but Shields has to see his chance at a #1 has slipped away and I can't see another or better chance than he had here in Boston to show his stuff.
Let's hope he finds a job at this level...again.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:59 PM
Gee Wally
Grumpy

Awards:
I have to think that it's just a question of negotiating abuy-out.

I can't see them carrying all 3 for more than a week or so.
It not only causes uneasiness in the locker room but also makes practice tough...

I wish him luck wherever he ends up.

Maybe Florida.. I still can't figure out what Dudley did today with his goalies.

BOSTON STRONG !!!
Closed Thread