HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers - Bruins

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
  #51
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPaulie View Post
There all expiring contracts. It allows the rookie to develop with some skill and veteran players around them. It's not the worse scenario for Edmonton.
Except for Ference. Who would probably be our worst Dman in the line-up.

Trading away one of our better, more promising players, in Cogliano to allow "the rookies to develop with some skill and veteran players around them" is very counterproductive, to say the least.

We don't need to bring in two veterans who know they're there for 1 year then gone. Can't expect much more than a Nilsson or O'sullivan-esque effort out of them. One year rentals work on contenders, not rebuilders.

We have plenty of veterans on the team, and plenty of players to step in if the rookies start to bomb.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 05:17 PM
  #52
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 7,583
vCash: 500
What about....

To EDM: Sturm, Ryder, Ference, Thomas (total hit 14.75)

To BOS: Souray, Cogliano, JF Jaques, Khabibulin, 2nd '11 (total hit 10.765)

Player value the Oil come out ahead. The B's get cap compliant with an additional 900,000 in space which may be enough room for a quality rental player at the deadline. Souray and Chara at the point leave the rest of the North East division in a full body cast (if anyone's brave enough to get in front of those blasts).

Roof Daddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 05:49 PM
  #53
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
What about....

To EDM: Sturm, Ryder, Ference, Thomas (total hit 14.75)

To BOS: Souray, Cogliano, JF Jaques, Khabibulin, 2nd '11 (total hit 10.765)

Player value the Oil come out ahead. The B's get cap compliant with an additional 900,000 in space which may be enough room for a quality rental player at the deadline. Souray and Chara at the point leave the rest of the North East division in a full body cast (if anyone's brave enough to get in front of those blasts).
That trade takes Boston from one of the Cup favorites to 7th or 8th in the east.

This may surprise you (and most Edmonton fans) but most Boston fans have zero desire to trade Thomas. His 'off year' was still good enough for 18th in GAA and 16th in Save %. He's been a top-5 goalie since the lock out and most of us expect Rask to have an off year and Thomas will regain is starting position.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 06:51 PM
  #54
HemskyToHall*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
That trade takes Boston from one of the Cup favorites to 7th or 8th in the east.

This may surprise you (and most Edmonton fans) but most Boston fans have zero desire to trade Thomas. His 'off year' was still good enough for 18th in GAA and 16th in Save %. He's been a top-5 goalie since the lock out and most of us expect Rask to have an off year and Thomas will regain is starting position.
then why do they keep including him in trade proposals?

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 06:55 PM
  #55
nycbruins*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
That trade takes Boston from one of the Cup favorites to 7th or 8th in the east.

This may surprise you (and most Edmonton fans) but most Boston fans have zero desire to trade Thomas. His 'off year' was still good enough for 18th in GAA and 16th in Save %. He's been a top-5 goalie since the lock out and most of us expect Rask to have an off year and Thomas will regain is starting position.
Speak for yourself. As much as I like TT, any chance to get rid of his K is a good bet....unless you're taking by Khabibulin, haha.

IMO, and I think many other Bruins' fans as well, Rask will lose the starting spot if he gets hurt. I know B's fans are wary because of Lacher/Raycroft/Toivonen syndrome, but Rask is the real deal, IMO, and Thomas will be the strict back-up.

nycbruins* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:14 PM
  #56
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
What about....

To EDM: Sturm, Ryder, Ference, Thomas (total hit 14.75)

To BOS: Souray, Cogliano, JF Jaques, Khabibulin, 2nd '11 (total hit 10.765)

Player value the Oil come out ahead. The B's get cap compliant with an additional 900,000 in space which may be enough room for a quality rental player at the deadline. Souray and Chara at the point leave the rest of the North East division in a full body cast (if anyone's brave enough to get in front of those blasts).
Done. I don't think many other Bruins fans will like this, but I think it is a great deal for Boston. We ditch Ryder and Sturm's contracts. We then upgrade Ference to Souray who could greatly help our PP with Chara. Cogliano could make it into our top 6 and would be our fastest player. Then we lose some salary in dealing Thomas for Bulin. I think this is also a great deal for Edmonton due to the fact Ryder and Sturm only have one year left on their contracts and they get a solid starter.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:16 PM
  #57
BruinsNeedaRussian
Registered User
 
BruinsNeedaRussian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 6,812
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by internetdotcom View Post
Add a 2095 2nd going to BOS or no deal! LOL
Nah, 2095 is looking like a weak draft.

BruinsNeedaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
  #58
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
He doesn`t have negative value - he`s just not worth hsi $5.4M price tag.
definitely this is the definition of what negative value is... if a player is on waivers for free and no one will take him then his contract/baggage is greater then his benefits and thus the term negative value.

this is clear and defined proof that no team will take Souray unless edmonton takes back something unwanted from that team.

the term negative value was coined to define a situation like this.

Personally feel if Souray is healthy he is worth close o his salary if guys like Gonchar are being paid the same. I think 20 goal scoring dman that have a nasty physical edge are worth more then 4 mill when we see who got 4 mill this year being far less quality then a healthy Souray is.

5.4 is alot for a guy that is injury prone over the last 3 years though... definitly negative value when you consider just how valuable cap space is

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:07 PM
  #59
Akonite
Registered User
 
Akonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
definitely this is the definition of what negative value is... if a player is on waivers for free and no one will take him then his contract/baggage is greater then his benefits and thus the term negative value.

this is clear and defined proof that no team will take Souray unless edmonton takes back something unwanted from that team.

the term negative value was coined to define a situation like this.

Personally feel if Souray is healthy he is worth close o his salary if guys like Gonchar are being paid the same. I think 20 goal scoring dman that have a nasty physical edge are worth more then 4 mill when we see who got 4 mill this year being far less quality then a healthy Souray is.

5.4 is alot for a guy that is injury prone over the last 3 years though... definitly negative value when you consider just how valuable cap space is
I disagree, but Only because our definitions of negative value differ, so I won't argue with your opinion.

I do believe that Souray has no place on the Bruins considering the cap, and that he will most definitely start the season with the Oilers. If he can stay healthy and productive, he will be traded sometime during the season for a hopefully decent return.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:16 PM
  #60
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
I think Souray and Chara on the same team would be a bad move. The games would take to long with the glass behind the net constantly having to be changed

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:22 PM
  #61
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
I disagree, but Only because our definitions of negative value differ, so I won't argue with your opinion.

I do believe that Souray has no place on the Bruins considering the cap, and that he will most definitely start the season with the Oilers. If he can stay healthy and productive, he will be traded sometime during the season for a hopefully decent return.
I don't know how you can possibly think that this might happen. I think Tim Thomas is an elite goaltender, but I'm not foolish enough to think that he can yield a decent return. Souray is in the same situation.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:24 PM
  #62
Akonite
Registered User
 
Akonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
I don't know how you can possibly think that this might happen. I think Tim Thomas is an elite goaltender, but I'm not foolish enough to think that he can yield a decent return. Souray is in the same situation.
Not sure if you read it all but a "decent return" is assuming he stays healthy and puts up points. Then is moved sometime before the deadline for something better hopefully better than his current value. I don't mean he'll command something decent right now.

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:03 AM
  #63
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,080
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akonite View Post
Not sure if you read it all but a "decent return" is assuming he stays healthy and puts up points. Then is moved sometime before the deadline for something better hopefully better than his current value. I don't mean he'll command something decent right now.
His cap hit is $5.4 million for the next two years, he's 34 years old, he's recently battled a myriad of substantial injuries, he recently asked for a trade, and he completely cleared waivers just a few months ago. I'm not sure what your expectations are for a potential trade return, but I'm going out on a limb by saying that they're higher than what the reality says.

I think it's important to point out that trade value is a completely different variable from actual value to a club. I'd take Souray on the Bruins in a heartbeat, but that's because I still think he's a decent defenseman. But he's old, injury prone, and makes too much money to justify giving up anything other than a salary dump or late pick for at this point. You're going to be very disappointed if Souray stars the season out decent and you get your hopes up in terms of how that effects his value. It's not going to change.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:20 AM
  #64
Nugent93Hopkins
Welcome to the
 
Nugent93Hopkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nail Yakupov Show
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,033
vCash: 500
Boston would probably need to add another contract like Ference to make that work.

Nugent93Hopkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:35 AM
  #65
Akonite
Registered User
 
Akonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
His cap hit is $5.4 million for the next two years, he's 34 years old, he's recently battled a myriad of substantial injuries, he recently asked for a trade, and he completely cleared waivers just a few months ago. I'm not sure what your expectations are for a potential trade return, but I'm going out on a limb by saying that they're higher than what the reality says.

I think it's important to point out that trade value is a completely different variable from actual value to a club. I'd take Souray on the Bruins in a heartbeat, but that's because I still think he's a decent defenseman. But he's old, injury prone, and makes too much money to justify giving up anything other than a salary dump or late pick for at this point. You're going to be very disappointed if Souray stars the season out decent and you get your hopes up in terms of how that effects his value. It's not going to change.
I think that in assuming, you've made an ass of you and me

No, I don't think that Souray value will skyrocket if he busts into the season on all cylinders. I simply believe that "proving" (at least for a short while) that he can stay relatively healthy and contribute, teams will be more inclined to take a chance on him, but I'm not expecting a large amount of interest or an unrealistic return. But with Sourays value at an all time low, he seemingly has nowhere to go but up.

A salary dump or a late pick? Thats Fine, cause I still want Souray for Commodore!

Akonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.