HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Old
09-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack101 View Post
Jussi Rynnas' play, in the first game in North America was very well (other than the Delay of Game penalty, which can be understood). He played very well with only 3 Goals allowed against and a couple of flashy saves. Does he seem to be the next 'monster' for the Leafs to be right behind Jonas Gustavsson? is he capable of surpassing him?
comments?
A decent game considering it was his first in NA, but I wouldn't get carried away either. He could be the next monster since he is surprisingly similar to the guy in many ways and sure he has potential to surpass Jonas even, but can't say anything is certain since Jussi's journey there has just begun.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:08 PM
MSP4LYFE*

vCash: 500
First period analysis,

Nazem Kadri was incredible that period, throwing his body around whenever the opportunity presented itself, and drove the net hard on a few occasions. When he had the puck on his stick, he was clearly a step above the rest of the competition.

Simon Gysbers was equaly impressive, intercepting passes, getting in the shooting lane, and jump starting the counter attack with crisp passes. Also let off a bomb towards the end of the first period.

Gregg Mckegg...IMO the best player on the ice, when he had the puck, made crisp passes and scored an absolute beauty in the first, really showed of his hands.

Sondre Olden, quick shot with a nice release, very raw, but the skill set is evident.

Brad Ross, Marcel Mueller and Jerry D'Amigo did some nice things as well, but to a lesser extent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second period analysis,

Pretty boring period overall...Not a ton to report.

Nazem Kadri didn't do much of anything, tried to be a little to fancy, and as a result turned the puck over.

Brad Ross is playing as advertised, hard worker who hits anything that moves and tries to get under the oppositions skin, made several passes that lead to good goal scoring opportunities.

Simon Gysbers...Still playing awesome.

Korbinian Holzer looks out of place, he's working hard, but has ignored the puck on a few occasions trying to take the body, might be trying to hard to demonstrate his physical play.

Jackson is doing some nice things on the pp, hard shot, and some passing ability, outside of the offensive zone he is pretty useless though.

Marcel Mueller was probably the best player in that period, he is a workhorse, and defensively is a man amongst boys. Doesn't seem to have a ton of skill with the puck on his stick, but he possesses all the tools to become a stand out third liner.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:12 PM
javier

Lol at some of the amatuer scouts on this thread, I didnt see anything to give me an impression good or bad. It's a rookie tournament game and means almost next to nothing. Keep in mind at last years tourney James Reimer looked awful and then proceeded to have a great year in the AHL. Its just fun to see the uniforms!

javier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:13 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
Lol at some of the amatuer scouts on this thread, I didnt see anything to give me an impression good or bad. It's a rookie tournament game and means almost next to nothing. Keep in mind at last years tourney James Reimer looked awful and then proceeded to have a great year in the AHL. Its just fun to see the uniforms!
I wish they wore the blue ones tonight

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He was good but he still has a long way to go. Love that he is our prospect. And It's only his first game so we can't exactly make a decision yet.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
BlackSuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
A decent game considering it was his first in NA, but I wouldn't get carried away either. He could be the next monster since he is surprisingly similar to the guy in many ways and sure he has potential to surpass Jonas even, but can't say anything is certain since Jussi's journey there has just begun.
Im not saying anything to be set in stone, but i do strongly believe that Jussi Rynnas has the potential to be one of the top 10 goalies in the NHL. but then so did Carey Price right? but i agree with you, he could go either way. i guess its a waiting game from now on

BlackSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:15 PM
Jordan

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:16 PM
disgruntleddave

vCash: 50
Kadri scares me.

It's just one game, but from what we've seen he's still doing the things that will hold him back and make him relatively useless in the NHL. Not playing with his teammates.

He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot.

He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.

disgruntleddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
stoney

Quote:
Im not saying anything to be set in stone, but i do strongly believe that Jussi Rynnas has the potential to be one of the top 10 goalies in the NHL. but then so did Carey Price right? but i agree with you, he could go either way. i guess its a waiting game from now on
Temper those expectations a little bit

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LeaffanDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javier View Post
wrong. for them it means alot. for them it could mean going to AHL or going back to junior or back overseas.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Impressed with Olden, Mueller and Gysbers. Rynnas looked shaky in the first half, but settled in towards the end of the game.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Sondre Olden is going to be a good one if this is how he plays most nights. For the youngest guy on the ice he made a lot of nice plays. Confident with the puck considering he's playing on NA ice.
Seems very impressive to me, i love this kid already more after seeing him play today.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:18 PM
thatshype

He had two good hits and two good chances in the first period...one of which he proved he was willing to pay the price physically for scoring opportunities. He had a good first period, in my mind.

The whole team came out flat in the 2nd, and Kadri probably most of all. He was awful in the 2nd period, and tried to hard to rebound from that in the 3rd.

My opinion, anyways.

thatshype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:19 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Impressed with Olden, Mueller and Gysbers. Rynnas looked shaky in the first half, but settled in towards the end of the game.
Agreed, I thought Ross was impressive as well, he showed off a solid two way game.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

You must have been watching a different game than me. Tons of rebounds, lost the puck a number of times and awkward positioning add up to a very raw looking goalie.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Expectations ever so slightly raised for Olden.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
Quote:
I obviously love the guy (watched a game of a rookie tournament from 3 am to 5 am just for him) and would love to see him as a top-10 goalie in the league, but if he turned out to be a pretty solid started in the best hockey league in the world I would say he reached his potential.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
BlackSuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricTicker View Post
You must have been watching a different game than me. Tons of rebounds, lost the puck a number of times and awkward positioning add up to a very raw looking goalie.
I am an optimist, otherwise following the Leafs would be very straining

BlackSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Jerkini

That Simon Gysbers kid was pretty solid. I thought Jessie Blacker was brutal.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:
5 posts in already made THE most over the top, leaf fan like comment I've seen in awhile.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
jughead42

I was pleasantly surprised by the play of Olden, the kid looks to be a keeper. The goalie played an excellent game as well, he was clearly the difference in the game making some difficult saves that his Blackhawk counterpart could not.

I don't get the Kadri comments, I've seen him play a lot and he looked pretty good to me. I honestly think the hype machine has done a number on the fans who criticized his game tonight, he's not a superstar who is going to dominate this tournament. Getting criticized for being unspectacular tonight says more about the unfair expectations on the kid than it does about his quality of play. He was great on the forecheck, showed some great speed and was making things happen. Hogging the puck isn't really a surprise to anyone familiar with him, that has always been a criticism of his game and isn't anything new.

If anything tonights game should make the chicken littles who cried about giving up Paradis and Didomenico for Versteeg think twice about their belly aching. Both players were average for the Hawks, and the Leafs had plenty of players who performed better than they did. No big loss at all.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:29 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If anything tonights game should make the chicken littles who cried about giving up Paradis and Didomenico for Versteeg think twice about their belly aching. Both players were average for the Hawks, and the Leafs had plenty of players who performed better than they did. No big loss at all.
It's not losing those two as much as it is losing Stalberg. Stalberg was looking real good at the end and played very well with Bozak. He's going to have a good centre next with Patrick Sharp so he'll produce nicely.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
holzer and gysbers were really good

Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
Gysbers stood out for me as well as one that exceeded expectations.

Jordan

Quote:
I am an optimist, otherwise following the Leafs would be very straining

I think "delusional" might be a better description.

Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote