HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Old
09-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Antropovsky

vCash: 500
I'm probably in the minority, but Kadri still managed to impress me tonight. All the creativity in the world, which has always been somewhat of a rarity in Leafland over the past little while. Some of the stuff he does with the puck, most other players brains wouldn't even have time to process so quickly, let alone have the skill to complete them. He also is surprisingly strong on the puck, and on his skates. A few times I was expecting him to lose the puck in a crowd, and somehow he'd appear with the puck still on his stick. AND of course his aggressive style... anyways his combination of skill, grit and balance is just a very uncommon thing in the NHL. Overall I liked his game.

Otherwise, I was really impressed with Olden and I liked Mueller's game, and Holzer quietly impressed me. Holzer physically reminds me alot of Phaneuf, they both got that hunched kind of look and similar faces. Anyone else?

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:33 PM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Gysbers stood out for me as well as one that exceeded expectations.
Agreed. But its probably because I had none for him lol

09-11-2010, 09:34 PM
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntleddave View Post
Kadri scares me.

It's just one game, but from what we've seen he's still doing the things that will hold him back and make him relatively useless in the NHL. Not playing with his teammates.

He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot.

He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.
I liked a lot of what I saw from Kadri. He has a skillset that will make him a player in the NHL. He does have adjustments to make but I saw nothing that would make me believe that he is incapable of making these improvements to his game

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:35 PM
Joey Hoser

I'm kinda drunk now so I'll try to formulate some more thoughts later, but I was at the game tonight and just gotta say that Olden was extremely impressive tonight. Those that thought he might be a steal in this past draft should certainly be satisfied.

He looked quite poised and, to my surprise, very athletic and fast, not lanky and awkward like you'd expect from his height vs. weight. Scored a beauty I'm sure most of you saw and was blowing past people all night. I really wish we'd get to see more of this guy throughout the season than we most likely will.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Kadri scares me.

He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot.

- See this is the thing that bugs me about Kadri. With his selfishness where does he really fit on this team? He wouldnt fit on the 1st line because Kessel is on it, and it will reduce each others scoring chances beacause BOTH are puckhogs. Can't put him on the 2nd line either, because all 3 players (Kadri-Grabo-Steeger) are all danglers/puckhogs, its going to wind up with a lot of turn overs. Can't play him on the 3rd line because hes not defensively responsible to warrant being a checker. Isnt a fighter or energy guy, so can't put him on the 4th line either.

He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.
Agreed 1000%. I like the guy as a hockey player but damn he's got a poor attidude. Dude hasnt even made the NHL yet already thinks hes the best thing out there. Skill wise sure I guess you could say he's ready for the NHL but mentally hell to the no, the guy needs to go down to the AHL. Once he realizes hes a good but NOT great player and learns to play a team game only then should he be called up.

Collegedude84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Gysbers stood out for me as well as one that exceeded expectations.
what can you tell me about Jackson. I know nothing about him but at times tonight I thought he played ok

Old
Leafan519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antropovsky View Post
I'm probably in the minority, but Kadri still managed to impress me tonight. All the creativity in the world, which has always been somewhat of a rarity in Leafland over the past little while. Some of the stuff he does with the puck, most other players brains wouldn't even have time to process so quickly, let alone have the skill to complete them. He also is surprisingly strong on the puck, and on his skates. A few times I was expecting him to lose the puck in a crowd, and somehow he'd appear with the puck still on his stick. AND of course his aggressive style... anyways his combination of skill, grit and balance is just a very uncommon thing in the NHL. Overall I liked his game.

Otherwise, I was really impressed with Olden and I liked Mueller's game, and Holzer quietly impressed me. Holzer physically reminds me alot of Phaneuf, they both got that hunched kind of look and similar faces. Anyone else?
I noticed the similarities in stature of Holzer and Phaneuf aswell.

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
If anything tonights game should make the chicken littles who cried about giving up Paradis and Didomenico for Versteeg think twice about their belly aching. Both players were average for the Hawks, and the Leafs had plenty of players who performed better than they did. No big loss at all.
Dido was all over the place tonight. Probably Chicago's best player. Yous crazy.

<--- Obvious bias is obvious.

Old
Bobo Fett*

1 somewhat decent game? The next Hasek imo!

Ahhh this place is good for a chuckle

Bobo Fett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:38 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I could see Gyspers and Holzer playing some NHL games this upcoming season. Holzer particularly made some pretty smart plays in his own end.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
TheProspector

Analysing *nothing else, who is a better stick handler: Kyle Wellwood or Nazem Kadri?

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
I could see Gyspers and Holzer playing some NHL games this upcoming season. Holzer particularly made some pretty smart plays in his own end.
I dont see how with the D we have: Phaneuf, Beauch, Kabs, Komiserak, Gunnarsson, Schenn. These guys all have jobs locked in on the leafs. Do you really see Holzner outplaying one of these above guys and taking their job? Plus Burke has already said he wants the top 4 D in the Marlies to be Aullie/Blackner/Mikus/Holzner.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Kadri scares me. It's just one game, but from what we've seen he's still doing the things that will hold him back and make him relatively useless in the NHL. Not playing with his teammates. He reminds me kind of grabo, although he's a bit grittier. Tries to be too flashy, rarely uses teammates, and ends up turning the puck over a lot. He has a lot to learn. Hopefully it happens quick.
It's too bad, and in that case he's hurting no one else but himself and his development..

Wilson and Burke will not think twice about sending him down in AHL if he continues the habit.

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Leafan519

Kadri wasnt that bad tonight he showed some nice hustle on the forcheck and threw his body around. I think he was playing a little out of character becuase his line didnt seem to have much chemistry at all so he was trying to do it all himself and put on a show for his hometown fans. Hopefully the coach shuffles the lines up a bit tomorrow

Leafan519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
Analysing *nothing else, who is a better stick handler: Kyle Wellwood or Nazem Kadri?
They're pretty similarly skilled. There's just a world of difference in things like effort, going to the net, etc.

Wellwood's skill is world class. He's just a fat lazy *******.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
BozakMyProzac

Holzer was real solid out there, i got high hopes for this kid. kadri was a beast, kinda scared me . mueller was a stand out played real solid, threw some good checks in the corners high expectation for him. GO LEAFS GO BABY.

BozakMyProzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
naturalnumbas

Gysbers did play really well, although I watched without sound so I dunno how to even pronounce that one.

Kadri was good nuff. He wasn't bad, just didn't stand out all that much... offensively. One beauty hit in the first. Drew a penalty. Could use that on the big squad.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
I dont see how with the D we have: Phaneuf, Beauch, Kabs, Komiserak, Gunnarsson, Schenn. These guys all have jobs locked in on the leafs. Do you really see Holzner outplaying one of these above guys and taking their job? Plus Burke has already said he wants the top 4 D in the Marlies to be Aullie/Blackner/Mikus/Holzner.
Injuries, bro.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadasTeam50 View Post
It's too bad, and in that case he's hurting no one else but himself and his development..

Wilson and Burke will not think twice about sending him down in AHL if he continues the habit.
Agreed! Burke will not settle for selfish big ego one way dont play into the team system kind of players. Odds right now ARENT on Kadri's side. Burke already has a deep history of burying his young guys in the marlies to start off their careers (Getlzaf, Perry, Ryan, Bozak, Gunnarsson), he'll have no problem doing the same to Kadri if he doesnt get over his big ego and smarten the **** up.

Old
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

vCash: 50
Anyone else notice that Kadri and D'Amigo barely played at all? I saw Kadri 3 times in the Second. I wasnt disappointed in his play. Stats are not everything. He played confidently, hit hard and looked solid. Had a dirty dangle between the legs. Sondre Olden also had a flithy deke at the blue line.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsandSharksfan View Post
Injuries, bro.
Even when that happens, Lebda and Finger will be the first people called upon. Do you really think hes going to not use depth guys who are making $1.45M and $3.5M a season?

Old
09-11-2010, 09:47 PM
BozakMyProzac

meh, rynnas wasent all that good tonight. his rebound control was god awful and he had a hard time tracking the puck. he needs more time to develope IMHO.

BozakMyProzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Collegedude84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitch154 View Post
Anyone else notice that Kadri and D'Amigo barely played at all? I saw Kadri 3 times in the Second. I wasnt disappointed in his play. Stats are not everything. He played confidently, hit hard and looked solid. Had a dirty dangle between the legs. Sondre Olden also had a flithy deke at the blue line.
Not sure but I heard Kadri took a puck to the kidney, so maybe he was benched or had his ice time limited as a precaution?

Old
Joey Hoser

Kadri had a heckler(some toad who was actually a Leafs fan... figure that out...) going at him pretty good from behind the bench all game. Saw Kadri look at him once. Not sure if it affected his game, but he wasn't getting enough time with the puck to do anything anyway.

Old
sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Blacker will have to return to Junior because of his age so it is very doughtfull that Burke said this