HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers' Drury, Lundqvist and Torterella on NHL Tonight

Old
09-11-2010, 08:33 PM
FromTheSide

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Rangers' Drury, Lundqvist and Torterella on NHL Tonight

It's on right now, didn't see a thread for this so i thought i'd go ahead and let the people know

Torts is on right now.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Torts on Redden: "Everything about his game, I think it's slow."

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:44 PM
MSG the place to be*

holy crap. is it just me or did torts just promise us brad richards?

he seemed awfully suggestive.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG the place to be View Post

Yeah, he seemed pretty optimistic.

Old
09-11-2010, 08:46 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Boogaard was 288 lbs. when the Rangers signed him... He's now 273.... Torts wants to see him get down to 265...

Old
09-11-2010, 08:49 PM
DA 17

Glad Torts is making Redden work for a spot, hopefully he doesn't get it but that's just me.

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

Details please on what he suggested or inferred..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:

Can we get an exact quote?

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 08:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Torts did not mention Richards specifically, obviously... But they asked him about our situation at Center and he optimistically and confidently suggested the Rangers could/would go out and acquire a player if they needed to, either at the trade-deadline or in the off-season.... Looks like this is going to re-air at 2:30 AM... I'll record it and post what he said word for word at that time...

EDIT: It's re-airing right now, 10 PM... I'll put the quote up in a bit.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Torts comments:
  • Biggest point of emphasis this season : Consistency, need to be better at home
  • Most excited about kids and Ranger's good core, need to keep building core
  • Frolov interesting acquisition to add offense, will get a chance with Gaborik right away
  • Spoke with Drury throughout summer... wants the players input on what they (coaches) can do to make things easier for them
  • Says he doesn't watch any of these informal practices
  • Says the young guys are going to get a "long-look"... Mentions McDonagh/Stepan/MZA, says he's anxious to see MZA play
  • Assessment of Marc Staal: big part of our core, still a young man at 23. Last season: thought he was inconsistent thru first half of the year, had a streak where he came along, last 2 months he "really got it"... Exit interview Staal said he finally felt comfortable using his instincts in terms of decision making (joining the rush, pinching, etc). Last couple of months Torts said he was a "stud"... Says Marc is a "huge part of this organization"... Re: contract situation - Torts says he doesn't think young players should try to hit a home run right away... Wait your turn and it will come to you... Marc can't afford to miss a day of camp because it will hurt his development
  • Re: Redden - His game is too deliberate in everything he does... His game has slowed down... Needs to speed up his decision making, his reads, getting his shot through.... Everything about his game, Torts think it's slow... Thinks he's been given a real fair chance being put in the line-up every night... Says he has to earn his ice time back.... Blue-line is going to be shaped on merit... Says Redden looks in great shape...
  • Christensen would play 2 great games, then you wouldn't see him for 5 games... Says they need help up the middle... At Center ice position there isn't a bunch of creativity... Rangers have to be patient, use our kids, grow them, and then when there's something out there, said he believes there's going to be something available, maybe at the end of camp or at the trade deadline but he believes someone will be available who can help the team...
  • Says maybe Stepan steps up.... Says during the rookie camp you can see his offensive awareness.... Says he's still a kid out of college though.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 09-12-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old
09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i think the key with stepan is that his biggest asset is his hockey iq...by far and away. its like Anisimov, AA's hockey IQ is without a doubt his best aspect...so you gotta give them time to let their physical skills catch up to their mental skills. a guy like Stepan wont hurt you playing in the NHL today, because hes just so damn smart that he wont make bad plays, but, it probably isnt best for his growth to do that. i think you put him in Hartford with Grachev, and MZA, and create an absolute monstrous top line with those 3, and let them all grow together.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:22 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Sounds like the Rangers management expect MZA to make the team out of camp though...

Old
09-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sounds like the Rangers management expect MZA to make the team out of camp though...
perhaps...i need to see him in the preseason, but it may seem like more forcefeeding by the Rangers...like they did with Gilroy.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
perhaps...i need to see him in the preseason, but it may seem like more forcefeeding by the Rangers...like they did with Gilroy.
I think with Gilroy it was a lack of depth... We didn't have any good alternative options.... The same situation won't apply with MZA and the forward line-up... We have a surplus of forwards....

Old
09-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
I think with Gilroy it was a lack of depth... We didn't have any good alternative options.... The same situation won't apply with MZA and the forward line-up... We have a surplus of forwards....
yep, hopefully they put who is ready in there, even if it means holding back a prospect to let them grow in favor of a poorer choice option today.

lets face it, we arent competing for jack this year, lets not screw up the future because of that.

Old
09-11-2010, 09:36 PM
Ke11y96

I agree that it sounds like Torts can't predict when we'll get brad Richards but it sounds like that's who sather is putting on target to work a deal with. I mean let's face it it's not Ribeiro he's been available and Savard I don't think they'd go for if so had a chance this offseason..

And other then those two who else? Thornton?? Extension probably. So I think if a deal is reached then it's for B.Richards if not he's an offseason signing. Based on all these roster options what do u guys think a package could be?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:42 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke11y96 View Post
I agree that it sounds like Torts can't predict when we'll get brad Richards but it sounds like that's who sather is putting on target to work a deal with. I mean let's face it it's not Ribeiro he's been available and Savard I don't think they'd go for if so had a chance this offseason..

And other then those two who else? Thornton?? Extension probably. So I think if a deal is reached then it's for B.Richards if not he's an offseason signing. Based on all these roster options what do u guys think a package could be?
I hear there might be a guy named Prucha hitting FA and some say he's better than Crosby maybe we are targeting him...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:44 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Quote:
Torts comments:
  • Biggest point of emphasis this season : Consistency, need to be better at home
  • Frolov interesting acquisition to add offense, will get a chance with Gaborik right away
  • Spoke with Drury throughout summer... wants the players input on what they (coaches) can do to make things easier for them
  • Says the young guys are going to get a "long-look"... Mentions McDonagh/Stepan/MZA, says he's anxious to see MZA play
  • Assessment of Marc Staal: big part of our core, still a young man at 23. Last season: thought he was inconsistent thru first half of the year, had a streak where he came along, last 2 months he "really got it"... Exit interview Staal said he finally felt comfortable using his instincts in terms of decision making (joining the rush, pinching, etc). Last couple of months Torts said he was a "stud"... Says Marc is a "huge part of this organization"... Re: contact situation - Torts says he doesn't think young players should try to hit a home run right away... Wait your turn and it will come to you... Marc can't afford to miss a day of camp because it will hurt his development
  • Re: Redden - His game is too deliberate in everything he does... His game has slowed down... Needs to speed up his decision making, his reads, getting his shot through.... Everything about his game, Torts think it's slow... Thinks he's been given a real fair chance being put in the line-up every night... Says he has to earn his ice time back.... Blue-line is going to be shaped on merit... Says Redden looks in great shape...
  • Christensen would play 2 great games, then you wouldn't see him for 5 games... Says they need help up the middle... At Center ice position there isn't a bunch of creativity... Rangers have to be patient, use our kids, grow them, and then when there's something out there, said he believes there's going to be something available, maybe at the end of camp or at the trade deadline but he believes someone will be available who can help the team...
  • Says maybe Stepan steps up.... Says during the rookie camp you can see his offensive awareness.... Says he's still a kid out of college though.
Not going to get a chance to watch this. Thanks for the update Wolfy~

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont see how on earth the rangers are fitting Richards under their cap unless they trade Rozsival and another big contract...his cap hit is almost 8 mil.

Old
09-11-2010, 10:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Not going to get a chance to watch this. Thanks for the update Wolfy~
No problem!

Old
09-11-2010, 10:54 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i dont see how on earth the rangers are fitting Richards under their cap unless they trade Rozsival and another big contract...his cap hit is almost 8 mil.
Much like with kovie any hit above 7 for me is too much with him. Years wise nothing more than 5. That's probably unrealistic which means if it's unrealisitc to sign player to a deal that won't cripple the team long term than don't make the deal.

I feel Richards is going to be injured more. If he goes through this year without injury I'll be a lot more comfortable with the team signing him for 5 years 35 mil.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 10:58 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

The more I think about it, the more iffy I am about Brad. Trust me, I would not be disappointed AT ALL if we signed Richards, but with Anisimov and Stepan maturing it looks to me like we'll have 1st and 2nd line center solidly covered in a few years. I love what Richards and Gaborik could very likely create, but is it worth it to blow the money now instead of waiting for Derek and AA to mature into the roles of top 6 center?

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:00 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Torts comments:
  • Assessment of Marc Staal: big part of our core, still a young man at 23. Last season: thought he was inconsistent thru first half of the year, had a streak where he came along, last 2 months he "really got it"... Exit interview Staal said he finally felt comfortable using his instincts in terms of decision making (joining the rush, pinching, etc). Last couple of months Torts said he was a "stud"... Says Marc is a "huge part of this organization"... Re: contact situation - Torts says he doesn't think young players should try to hit a home run right away... Wait your turn and it will come to you... Marc can't afford to miss a day of camp because it will hurt his development

Thanks!

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:13 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Torts comments:
Thanks for the breakdown Wolf..

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 11:43 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Torts comments:
Very nice. Thanks.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote