HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Garnett Exelby

Old
08-16-2010, 04:28 PM
RangerFan10

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Del Zotto's only going to get better in his own end. He doesn't have the type of flaws that aren't going to go away as he gets more experience.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

XLB played 51 games for the Leafs last season. He was a healthy-scratch for 31 (And no, he wasen't injured)...

That's how crappy he is.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Celestial Black

As much as I would like a physical defenseman, I would pass on Exelby. The only guy I even like out there is Mitchell and I don't see us picking him up.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:43 PM
pwoz

Just sign Staal already!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Del Zotto's only going to get better in his own end. He doesn't have the type of flaws that aren't going to go away as he gets more experience.
Eventually yes, but not sure about this year..He got worse as the year went along to where he was a huge liability and I didn;t see the Rangers teaching him anything to help..It was all about postioning and choices with him..I hope to god he gets more instruction and mentoring thise year, but I have zero faith in the Rangers coaching staff and the vet D-man to help him out..Wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up in hartford for a little while, and that might not be the worst thing..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk View Post
Eventually yes, but not sure about this year..He got worse as the year went along to where he was a huge liability and I didn;t see the Rangers teaching him anything to help..It was all about postioning and choices with him..I hope to god he gets more instruction and mentoring thise year, but I have zero faith in the Rangers coaching staff and the vet D-man to help him out..Wouldn;t be surprised if he ends up in hartford for a little while, and that might not be the worst thing..
It's very hard to teach a prospect basic aspects of the game during the NHL season. There just isn't enough practice time available given the scheduling (especially with the Olympics last year) and travel involved. Del Zotto has to keep it simple on the defensive side this year. He seems like he can learn, so I'm hopeful, but I would be shocked if there wasn't a bump in the road here and there.

I don't think--no matter how justified--he will end up in Hartford. The Ranger defense is just too thin--especially given the lack of ability on the point on the power play--to keep Del Zotto out of the lineup for more than a game here and there. It might help his game, if there are bumps, to sit in the stands for a game and see the big picture though.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:03 PM
Orr Nightmare

The right move would have been to trade a 3rd pick for James Wisniewski...we made two trades with the Ducks and Sather never once asked for this kid or was he offered him for a 3rd pick, what the Islanders got him for.

I like Wisniewski..he has grit and offensive..hate that the islanders got him

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 07:10 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
The right move would have been to trade a 3rd pick for James Wisniewski...we made two trades with the Ducks and Sather never once asked for this kid or was he offered him for a 3rd pick, what the Islanders got him for.

I like Wisniewski..he has grit and offensive..hate that the islanders got him
How do you know Sather didn't make inquires about him? Plus,
all things considered, a 3rd round pick from the Isles is a better deal than a 3rd round pick from the Rangers. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Wisniewki comes with a pretty high price tage (cap-wise). It's possible that the Rangers didn't have the room to fit him under the cap.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:43 PM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
yeah, I'm sure we could've built a package for one of the best physical d-men in the league with Bobby Sanguinetti as the centerpiece

And contracts out the window, Sanguinetti isn't really an upgrade over Redden from what I've seen. He looked terribly uncomfortable at the NHL level, and I actually wish we just got rid of him sooner. Would've increased the likelihood of retaining Ilkka Heikkenen.
completely disagree

Sangs cap hit versus Redden alone makes him viable. You cannot put contracts out the window, thats a non sequitur. You might as well draft water polo players with that kind of mindset or herd cats for that matter.

As far as Calgary goes, lets see this is the same team that made some really horrible trades, not to mention having no significantly important draft picks in the last draft.

lets see here
Jokinen and Prust for Kotalik and Higgins
Dion Phaneuf Fredrik Sjostrom Keith Aulie for Matt Stajan Ian White Nick Hagman and Jamal Mayers
Stralman for a 3rd round pick, having previously traded a 2nd rounder to get him

So if you want to base your conclusions on a 5 game NHL experience you are certainly entitled to do so, but I think that kinda thinking is out to lunch.

As far as Regehr goes, the flames have cap issues and are already dressing
Bouwmeester
Giordano
Sarich
Pardy
Staois
and
the aforementioned Ian White

In fact they are about 2.4 million megabucks OVER the cap

so they can spare Regehr who with his 4 million dollar cap hit is probably available despite being assistant captain for the flames.

would sangs get Regehr ? no obviously not but its not beyond reason that it could happen for the right offer.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure View Post
He had a 1.4M cap hit on his last contract and is a UFA. He is a sand paper type of guy. if we can get him for under 1M should we do it? Need at least one physical D. very much lacking in that department.
A couple of years ago this kid was a factor in games for Atlanta. I remember the wars he had with Ryan Hollweg. What I had admired about Exelby, was that Hollweg absolutely crushed this guy with a hit. Whether or not it was dirty I just don't remember. But...in the next meeting, not only did Exelby go right after Hollweg, he also put Petr Pruca on his ass every time he saw him. It was deflating to watch. My point...He was a factor in those games, and in the games to follow he just had that knack of putting people on thier ass.

Now I keep hearing that his game has tallied off, and I guess it has some being he has worked himself out of the lineup. But...you do have to wonder. At one point, he was able to not only compete at this level, but he was a factor in the games he did. Could he be that far gone that say for 750-1mil per that he could actually he a bad experiment? I mean, he did it once. He's only 28. And like you say and I wholeheartedly agree..."Very much lacking in that department"

Could he at the relatively small hit be worse a decision than Redden at 6.5 mil? OK bad example, nobody could carry a worse hit for the return. Maybe a Paul Mara is a better example. Could Exelby carry more worth with a similar cap hit than the guy that was labeled a pyhsical, but really wasn't keeping anyones heads up.

Personally, if there isn't another move to be made to acquire this type of a player, then I think a guy like Exelby is worthy of the experiment.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 10:41 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Exelby sucks. He can lay big hits (though misses more than he connects on) but does nothing else.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 04:51 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Exelby sucks. He can lay big hits (though misses more than he connects on) but does nothing else.
Jason Strudwick would have been a better option but he resigned in Edmonton.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Jason Strudwick would have been a better option but he resigned in Edmonton.
I was a big fan of Strudwick leadership, and charachter. I Loved that he stuck up for his teammates. But Strudwick minus the handful of fighting majors in just not a Physical defenseman.

And again, maybe Exelby has talled off some but even so, if he could be had at say $750k per year, is it a bad idea to experiment there?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:28 AM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

good call on my part starting this thread. i posted this 1 month ago. we have no physical D. either Exelby or Valabik (who might be the extra guy in Atlanta now) would be good here. as 6th or 7th D. exelby will go nuts in camp, will hit anything that moves, ala kaspiritis (before he signed with NYR of course)

OleOleOleOleBureBure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Exlby can go as nuts as he wants, but that won't change the fact he absolutely sucks in every aspect of the game of hockey. He's a spastic trainwreck on skates.

I can't imagine Torts wanting him unless XLB spent the summer working intensely on every aspect of his skating and got a brain transplant, to make him a smarter hockey player.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote