HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Game #1 - Leafs vs Blackhawks

Old
09-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Dayjobdave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Steady View Post
LeafCrusader is clearly a troll.

You're only defending because he's the only one that agrees with you.
He's only defending him because he is a troll as well.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:53 PM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegedude84 View Post
Agreed 1000%. I like the guy as a hockey player but damn he's got a poor attidude. Dude hasnt even made the NHL yet already thinks hes the best thing out there. Skill wise sure I guess you could say he's ready for the NHL but mentally hell to the no, the guy needs to go down to the AHL. Once he realizes hes a good but NOT great player and learns to play a team game only then should he be called up.
Unreal.

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:56 PM
TRP

I was at the game last night and a couple of observations. Most likely rehashed.

It was probably the first time these guys were playing at this intensity in a few months, so I cut them a break in the sense of criticism, although they looked season ready for the most part. Kadri looked like his old-Knight-self. Playing hard for the puck when he wanted it, but evident that he likes to fight for the puck if there is a scoring chance, rather than a chance to save a goal. He did lay off a little in the second, but not as much as everyone was saying.

I really like Olden's game. He really needs to fill out, but he definitely has the hockey sense to be a good player. He had wavy flowing blonde locks and had a smile on his face quite often, it was pretty humorous to see.

Despite what people are saying, Irwin played a decent game. If he would have scored on the two on one a lot of people would probably say that he had a good game. He was definitely the largest NHL ready body on the ice. He has filled out pretty good.

I liked what I saw from Dale Mitchell in the sense that he could be that 'Steve Downie mental case' that people are looking for around here. His game reminds me of Tucker's for obvious reason, but with a little less drama. He is just straight intensity and could provide the team with a Max Lappiere type character. I didn't really watch him for his defensive and offensive game, rather to see his intensity. I can't really comment on his 'skills.'

I was really impressed with Rynnas, albeit he is playing against players that are slightly less than what he is used to in my opinion. He needs to learn the puck control thing like Gusto, but overall is very well positioned and fast for a man of his size.

I didn't really notice Mueller until 2nd period, maybe because I was so busy looking for Olden. Gyspers was fantastic and Holzer looks like he could step in and compete for an 6-8 spot.

Great to see hockey again. It will be interesting to see how each of the players adapt to other teams scouting against them and their strengths and weaknesses as they develop to see who actually has what it takes.

I was bummed to see Dido and Paradise in Hawks jerseys, but honestly the team on the ice has far better prospects than they did 3 years ago, so losing those two plus Stalberg doesn't bother me as much.

The guys that stood out to me the most for the Hawks were obviously Beach (who is NHL ready) and Danis-Pepin who is a Lerch. The skinniest/tallest guy I have seen on skates since Manute Bol. If he fills out to a Chara then he could be an effective player at some point. He was so tall and lanky, gahh

TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:04 PM
jughead42

Who cares if PMS beat Kadri in some poll? Anybody with an account is allowed to vote in these polls, and for every well informed and intelligent fan who knows what he's talking about on HF, there 20 simpletons who have no clue. I'm sure among the 73% who voted for PMS, a quarter of them were Edmonton fans drinking copper and blue kool aid, a quarter of them were Swedish fan's who have a boner for their native prospect, a quarter of them are Leaf haters and the remaining quarter are tools who haven't seen either guy play, but picked PMS because he sounds so impressive with his 3 fancy boy names.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:20 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Napster View Post
I didnt see him like that at all. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, I thought Gyspers was our best D and Jackson and Smith did very well.

Agree with everything else though.
Really? I agree with Gysbers being very good but Jackson and Smith were not. Smith was okay, improved from last year but nothing special still and Jackson handled the puck like a grenade, as another poster said.

Not noticing Holzer is a good thing considering he's primarily a defensive d-man for the most part with a bit of puck-moving ability (he didn't show it much tonight). I watched him very closely though and he was very good, he was always in position, broke up many rushes and stick-checked the puck away from opposing forwards, and he won like 99% of one-on-one battles. He was quite good.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
TMLeafer

Devane was decked from behind head first, with his face hitting the boards. He didn't stay down at all, but I didn't see him on the ice after it.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
He was caught flat-footed numerous times throughout the game which is why I think he was pretty bad. Jackson was pretty bad too, though his puck-handling skills are ok. Most of Smith's hits, if not all looked like they were in slow-mo. I guess for a 7th rounder he is not bad but he did not impress me at all. Wasn't intimidating, didn't play good defense but landed some decent hits. His offense or well whenever he tries is pretty lol so that's not really worth talking about.

God, thank god I didn't see him last year then. If his speed and his play has improved a lot compared to last season, then I really wouldn't want to see how bad he was.

My expectations aren't much of him and rightfully so, he was afterall a 7th rounder but I'll wait a few games to see how well he can play.
Uhhhh, no, he wasnt caught flat footed. I just rewatched. He gave the puck away once in a dangerous zone but recovered. Everyone gave away the puck just about. Only one or two players didnt. First game though. Everyone will improve. Why cant you just admit Smith had a decent game. They are allowed you know to play well occasionally, doesnt matter where they were drafted. All in all, I am very impressed with the prospects from this years draft. Burke and company hit one out of the park there. Olden, it looks like was an absolute steel...would you agree with that?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Really? I agree with Gysbers being very good but Jackson and Smith were not. Smith was okay, improved from last year but nothing special still and Jackson handled the puck like a grenade, as another poster said.

Not noticing Holzer is a good thing considering he's primarily a defensive d-man for the most part with a bit of puck-moving ability (he didn't show it much tonight). I watched him very closely though and he was very good, he was always in position, broke up many rushes and stick-checked the puck away from opposing forwards, and he won like 99% of one-on-one battles. He was quite good.
Just like I just said above, I just re watched and will agree with you about Holzer. No one can watch every player in one game and get a good take. Holzer was solid. Gyspers was better though. McKegg may have been better than Ross and D'amigo on second viewing.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Who cares if PMS beat Kadri in some poll? Anybody with an account is allowed to vote in these polls, and for every well informed and intelligent fan who knows what he's talking about on HF, there 20 simpletons who have no clue. I'm sure among the 73% who voted for PMS, a quarter of them were Edmonton fans drinking copper and blue kool aid, a quarter of them were Swedish fan's who have a boner for their native prospect, a quarter of them are Leaf haters and the remaining quarter are tools who haven't seen either guy play, but picked PMS because he sounds so impressive with his 3 fancy boy names.
Agee with this...

"Simpletons" ROFLMAO!!!

Old
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by peasey View Post
I was at the game last night and a couple of observations. Most likely rehashed.

It was probably the first time these guys were playing at this intensity in a few months, so I cut them a break in the sense of criticism, although they looked season ready for the most part. Kadri looked like his old-Knight-self. Playing hard for the puck when he wanted it, but evident that he likes to fight for the puck if there is a scoring chance, rather than a chance to save a goal. He did lay off a little in the second, but not as much as everyone was saying.

I really like Olden's game. He really needs to fill out, but he definitely has the hockey sense to be a good player. He had wavy flowing blonde locks and had a smile on his face quite often, it was pretty humorous to see. Despite what people are saying, Irwin played a decent game. If he would have scored on the two on one a lot of people would probably say that he had a good game. He was definitely the largest NHL ready body on the ice. He has filled out pretty good.

I liked what I saw from Dale Mitchell in the sense that he could be that 'Steve Downie mental case' that people are looking for around here. His game reminds me of Tucker's for obvious reason, but with a little less drama. He is just straight intensity and could provide the team with a Max Lappiere type character. I didn't really watch him for his defensive and offensive game, rather to see his intensity. I can't really comment on his 'skills.'

I was really impressed with Rynnas, albeit he is playing against players that are slightly less than what he is used to in my opinion. He needs to learn the puck control thing like Gusto, but overall is very well positioned and fast for a man of his size.

I didn't really notice Mueller until 2nd period, maybe because I was so busy looking for Olden. Gyspers was fantastic and Holzer looks like he could step in and compete for an 6-8 spot.

Great to see hockey again. It will be interesting to see how each of the players adapt to other teams scouting against them and their strengths and weaknesses as they develop to see who actually has what it takes.

I was bummed to see Dido and Paradise in Hawks jerseys, but honestly the team on the ice has far better prospects than they did 3 years ago, so losing those two plus Stalberg doesn't bother me as much.

The guys that stood out to me the most for the Hawks were obviously Beach (who is NHL ready) and Danis-Pepin who is a Lerch. The skinniest/tallest guy I have seen on skates since Manute Bol. If he fills out to a Chara then he could be an effective player at some point. He was so tall and lanky, gahh
I know....hehe. Talk about a kid so happy to be here. Hope he keeps that smile. He is one talented SOB.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:41 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Just like I just said above, I just re watched and will agree with you about Holzer. No one can watch every player in one game and get a good take. Holzer was solid. Gyspers was better though. McKegg may have been better than Ross and D'amigo on second viewing.
Yeah, it's true you can't, especially a quiet d-man like Holzer. And yes, I agree that Gysbers was better all-around. I think McKegg and D'Amigo were about par, but McKegg was better than Ross. Ross somewhat disappeared after the 1st period.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:43 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
Yeah, it's true you can't, especially a quiet d-man like Holzer. And yes, I agree that Gysbers was better all-around. I think McKegg and D'Amigo were about par, but McKegg was better than Ross. Ross somewhat disappeared after the 1st period.
I thought D'Amigo and McKegg dissapeared after the 1st. More impressed with Ross than Jerry and Greg, to be honest (not a bad thing though. I was surprised by Ross' skating)

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:44 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Holzer's supposed to be a bit more than just a "quiet" dman, though.

He's supposed to be physical, a good puck mover, and have a rocket shot.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:45 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
REally looking forward to seeing Crensenzi play again tonight.

The big guys to watch tonight will clearly be Kadri, Mueller, Olden, Gryspers, Holzer, McKegg, Ross and D'amigo. I think Kadri had a decent game yesterday, nothing to speak of but a few nice hits and few nice plays. He should be outstanding tonight though. He was frustrated by games end, you could see it in his face and demeanor.

Also looking forward to seeing Scrivens in net.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:47 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
Quote:
REally looking forward to seeing Crensenzi play again tonight.

The big guys to watch tonight will clearly be Kadri, Mueller, Olden, Gryspers, Holzer, McKegg, Ross and D'amigo. I think Kadri had a decent game yesterday, nothing to speak of but a few nice hits and few nice plays. He should be outstanding tonight though. He was frustrated by games end, you could see it in his face and demeanor.

Also looking forward to seeing Scrivens in net.
Kadri is injured and will probably be replaced by Stefanovich. Also looking forward to seeing Scrivens and Olden play.

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:51 PM
JL17

Kadri looks much stronger then last year. But he looks a tad bit slower to me. He wasn't bad and he wasn't good. He did some good things in his own end which for me was something nice to see from him.

McKegg, Ross, Crescenzi, Mueller, Olden, Gysbers all looked to have had good games for my point of view.

Boy do I wish the Knights iced a forward line up with that size...

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
Uhhhh, no, he wasnt caught flat footed. I just rewatched. He gave the puck away once in a dangerous zone but recovered. Everyone gave away the puck just about. Only one or two players didnt. First game though. Everyone will improve. Why cant you just admit Smith had a decent game. They are allowed you know to play well occasionally, doesnt matter where they were drafted. All in all, I am very impressed with the prospects from this years draft. Burke and company hit one out of the park there. Olden, it looks like was an absolute steel...would you agree with that?
He didn't play well though.

MLHS Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Kadri is injured and will probably be replaced by Stefanovich. Also looking forward to seeing Scrivens and Olden play.
Thats ok. I wont mind seeing what Stephanie can bring.

Old
09-12-2010, 03:06 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
Kadri is being replaced by Brayden Irwin who wasn't supposed to play today.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:17 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Holzer's supposed to be a bit more than just a "quiet" dman, though.

He's supposed to be physical, a good puck mover, and have a rocket shot.
Let him get adjusted, he hasn't played any NA hockey aside from the Olympics (where he was pretty good considering how bad his team was) and this rookie game.

He did show a bit of his puck-moving skills yesterday with some nice passes, but Blacker and Gysbers did most of the puck-moving though. I do want to see Holzer's shot though.

Old
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
MSP4LYFE*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
A friend of mine called MSP4LYFE lol
embracedbias knows who im talking about
Haven't heard of him, sounds like a cool cat though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
collegedude lives in his own little world.
A few on here to seem to.

MSP4LYFE* is offline   Reply With Quote