HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

60-70 point player?

Old
09-02-2010, 11:12 AM
lightning_legwand*

vCash: 500
60-70 point player?

most NHL winning/successful teams have "at least" two players that can get 65-70 points. Every team that has won a cup for the last 30 plus years has had two at least.

Do you guys think with our current roster we have any guys capable of this?

My best bet would be Horn and Wilson.

Would love Legwand to do it! Or Erat!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:09 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
most NHL winning/successful teams have "at least" two players that can get 65-70 points. Every team that has won a cup for the last 30 plus years has had two at least.

Dumont has done it recently, Legwand and Erat have come reasonably close. I don't know that Hornqvist can do it simply because he'll never rack up many assists.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:42 PM
lightning_legwand*

Every team currently in the NHL right now has at least one guy that will guaranteed get 70 points except for us, Florida, St.Louis and Atlanta...

Out of those four teams, we are the only playoff team from last season as well.

Old
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

You're just dying to see a big name come to Nashville huh? Maybe if you send the team a check it'll happen

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 09:46 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
You're just dying to see a big name come to Nashville huh? Maybe if you send the team a check it'll happen
But you get the point right? We were the only team in playoffs without at least one or two 65-70 point guy(s).

Just knock off the depth a bit and bring in that type of player! lol I am sure that it woudl benefit Horny and Wilson's playability a ton as well to!

Old
09-02-2010, 10:03 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
But you get the point right? We were the only team in playoffs without at least one or two 65-70 point guy(s).

Just knock off the depth a bit and bring in that type of player! lol I am sure that it woudl benefit Horny and Wilson's playability a ton as well to!
60-70 point players like the four we had in 05-06 did so much good. 07-08 the team had two 70+ point players.

The Caps had three 80+ point players last season and were eliminated in the first round.

Your cause/effect relationship is faulty.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:31 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
60-70 point players like the four we had in 05-06 did so much good. 07-08 the team had two 70+ point players.

The Caps had three 80+ point players last season and were eliminated in the first round.

Your cause/effect relationship is faulty.
Im not saying that we will not make playoffs, because we did last season. I am just saying that there has not been a team that has won a cup that did not have at least 2-3 players with 65-70 points on their roster during regular season.

Winning a cup is the main goal, not just making a playoffs appearance...

Sure, the caps hit a hot goalie and got beat out! obviously! that happens! but in the end, the team that won it all had "4" players over 65 points! You need at least one or two of those big game breaking players to succeed in post season, not to mention a hot goalie (which we have).

My point of this essentially is, if we are not going to bring in that type of player, can Horny and Wilson do it ya think? Maybe a deadline deal gets us a big game forward?

Old
09-02-2010, 10:42 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Im not saying that we will not make playoffs, because we did last season. I am just saying that there has not been a team that has won a cup that did not have at least 2-3 players with 65-70 points on their roster during regular season.

Winning a cup is the main goal, not just making a playoffs appearance...

Sure, the caps hit a hot goalie and got beat out! obviously! that happens! but in the end, the team that won it all had "4" players over 65 points! You need at least one or two of those big game breaking players to succeed in post season, not to mention a hot goalie (which we have).

My point of this essentially is, if we are not going to bring in that type of player, can Horny and Wilson do it ya think? Maybe a deadline deal gets us a big game forward?
The Preds had four players with 60+ in 05-06 .... first round exit. The Caps led the league in points and FOUR 84+ point players ... first round exit.

You cause/effect is still wrong.

BTW ... the Flyers had just TWO 60+ point players in 09-10. Only four 50+ point players. Reality doesn't support you here. We won't get into the fact that we had the eventual Cup winner on the ropes and failed to seal the deal in game five with turnovers and multiple defensive lapses.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:11 PM
hockey diva

I've said it before and I will say it again. Secondary scoring won the cup for Chicago. That is what we needed in addition to avoiding the mental lapses that cost us game 5. We needed Goc, Ward, Wilson to chip in a goal here and there as well.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:26 PM
rocketxav9

it is a team game and the preds are the best to play as a team

not sure they will have a 70 pts player this year but im sure they will make the playoff !

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:58 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:

Rick Nash: 67 points (33 goals, 34 assists) scored. Normally does much better.
Antoine Vermette: 65 points (27 goals, 38 assists) scored. Career high playing with star wingers.
Kristian Huselius: 63 points (23 goals, 40 assists) scored. Frequently does higher than that as well.
Also of note but outside your 60 point range: RJ Umberger (23 goals and 32 assists for 55 points) and Jakub Voracek (16 goals and 34 assists for 50 points).

Result: "With the fourth overall draft pick, the Blue Jackets are proud to select..."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:00 AM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Rick Nash: 67 points (33 goals, 34 assists) scored. Normally does much better.
Antoine Vermette: 65 points (27 goals, 38 assists) scored. Career high playing with star wingers.
Kristian Huselius: 63 points (23 goals, 40 assists) scored. Frequently does higher than that as well.
Also of note but outside your 60 point range: RJ Umberger (23 goals and 32 assists for 55 points) and Jakub Voracek (16 goals and 34 assists for 50 points).

Result: "With the fourth overall draft pick, the Blue Jackets are proud to select..."
"Well, at least we're better off than Columbus"

I think it's a legitimate question. Having a 60-70point player isn't going to guarantee us anything, but teams that advance in the playoffs typically have players who can put up points (among other things). If you look at the teams in the West who made it past the 1st rd, SJ had 3 players score over 82points, Vancover had 4 players score over 67p, Chicaco had 4 players score over 66p, and Detroit had 2 at 70p.

Scoring plays a big part in hockey. Deep, I know.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Instead of arguing the logic of the question at hand, I'm just going to answer it. In the next year I can see two Potential 60+ point players. Lombardi if hes given first line minutes, and Erat if he can have a consistent season. But those are two fairly big ifs. Horny is borderline, I think he will come back down to earth in terms of points a little bit. Id love for him to surprise me though. Steve Sulli, I love this guy, if he doesnt get injured and stays productive he has a shot. Wilson has the potential but he needs another year or two to hit that mark. The top two lines are fairly interchangeable so it will all depend on who gets the icetime and capitalize obviously. My guess is still Lombardi and Erat though, possibly Sullivan, with alot of ifs ands or buts mixed in.

Last edited by Everlong: 09-12-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:57 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
Instead of arguing the logic of the question at hand, I'm just going to answer it. In the next year I can see two Potential 60+ point players. Lombardi if hes given first line minutes, and Erat if he can have a consistent season. But those are two fairly big ifs. Horny is borderline, I think he will come back down to earth in terms of points a little bit. Id love for him to surprise me though. Steve Sulli, I love this guy, if he doesnt get injured and stays productive he has a shot. Wilson has the potential but he needs another year or two to hit that mark. The top two lines are fairly interchangeable so it will all depend on who gets the icetime and capitalize obviously. My guess is still Lombardi and Erat though, possibly Sullivan, with alot of ifs ands or buts mixed in.
I think Erat has more of a chance than Lombardi. Lombardi has only hit the 50 point plateau once.

Old
09-12-2010, 04:09 PM
dulzhok

I don't expect anyone to reach 60.

Lombardi had first-line minutes last year, and scored 53. If everything goes right for him and he continues to improve at age 28, then it's possible.

Erat hasn't hit 60 before. If everything goes right for him and he improves at the age of 29, it's possibe.

Sullivan has injury concerns and looked old at times last year. If everything goes right for him, it's possible.

Wilson has scoring line potential, but doens't project to be a big-time scorer. If he progresses and everything goes right for him, it's possible.

Legwand scored 10g last year, and was eventually demoted to part-time scoringline player. If everything goes right for him, it's possible.

Everything went right for Hornqvist last year. If the same happens this year, and he continues to improve, it's possible.

I consider all of the above low percentage possiblities. But, ff you say each of them has a 20% chance, maybe one does it.

Weber may have as good of chance as anyone. If he had some other PP weapons to work with (like Green does in WSH, or Kimmo in Philly), I think he'd be probable for 60. But for now it remains a low percentage possibility.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:25 PM
glenngineer

No one considers Dumont a possibility? He's average over 60 a year since he's been here. I find it funny that many people have written him off because of one bad season. I also think it's funny that no one considers Wilson as a possibility in this conversation either. Given top line minutes and PP time, he should hit 60+. Also, if Hornqvist is given more minutes, he averaged in the 15 per game range last year, should add to his totals as well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:06 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I honestly think Dumont is our most likely candidate for 60pts this season. Wilson, Legwand, Erat, Sullivan, Lombardi, SK, Hornqvist and Weber all have a chance.

Old
09-12-2010, 09:55 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I honestly think Dumont is our most likely candidate for 60pts this season. Wilson, Legwand, Erat, Sullivan, Lombardi, SK, Hornqvist and Weber all have a chance.
I just think Dumont's role has be minimized with the Preds, Trotz gave him barely any ice time last season and said when the season ended that next season would be no different...

Besides, with the top two lines looking like,

Hornqvist Lombardi Erat
Sullivan Wilson Kostitsyn

where does he fit in there? Maybe play him with Ward and Legwand?

Old
09-13-2010, 05:55 AM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

First of all, Dumont's ice time was reduced last season. His role this season will depend largely on training camp, preseason, and first ten to fifteen games.

Second, I don't see how anyone can assume that the top two lines are locked. We have too much forward depth, and this is a Trotz team. Of all seasons this is going to be the least predictable.

I think Dumont will float around the top three lines for the first bit of the season, but he'll end up on one of the top two for a good portion of the schedule.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:09 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
I just think Dumont's role has be minimized with the Preds, Trotz gave him barely any ice time last season and said when the season ended that next season would be no different...

Besides, with the top two lines looking like,

Hornqvist Lombardi Erat
Sullivan Wilson Kostitsyn

where does he fit in there? Maybe play him with Ward and Legwand?
way, way too early to say for sure what the lines will look like, and also no lock at all for kostitsyn to secure a spot on the roster at all much less on a top line

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:46 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

God Damnit, you made me do it, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU! You HAD to make me do a goal assessment analysis of the top 3 scoring lines of the Central division.

Ok, let's play.

In a world where the top goal scorers all played the top lines and down let's see where the Preds stack up in the division.

First three goal scorers

DET 75 Goals
CHI 80 Goals
NSH 70 goals
STL 68 Goals
CBJ 83 goals

Second tier of goal scorers

DET 47 goals
CHI 58 goals
NSH 47 goals
STL 49 goals
CBJ 48 goals

Third tier of goal scorers

DET 34 goals
CHI 18 goals
NSH 32 goals
STL 31 goals
CBJ 21 goals

For those keeping tract at home the differential in goals per line of production.

DET -5 / 0 / -2 Total -7
CHI -10 / -9 / +14 Total -6
STL +2 / -2 / +1 Total +1
CBJ -13 / -1 / +11 Total -3

Nashville spreads out the scoring and with the additional depth unlike the other competitors who have tapped out their depth because of the salary cap and age Nashville can make call ups which easily make up the difference in goals. Because of the 3rd line, Nashville doesn't NEED a top goal scorer to make up the difference.

And incase you were wondering about the defensive scoring?

First pairing

DET 15G +7
CHI 21G +2
NSH 22G
STL 18G +1
CBJ 13G +9

second pairing

DET 11G -4
CHI 6G +1
NSH 7G
STL 11G -4
CBJ 9G +7

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 09-13-2010 at 09:52 AM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:35 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
God Damnit, you made me do it, didn't you? DIDN'T YOU! You HAD to make me do a goal assessment analysis of the top 3 scoring lines of the Central division.

Ok, let's play.

In a world where the top goal scorers all played the top lines and down let's see where the Preds stack up in the division.

First three goal scorers

DET 75 Goals
CHI 80 Goals
NSH 70 goals
STL 68 Goals
CBJ 83 goals

Second tier of goal scorers

DET 47 goals
CHI 58 goals
NSH 47 goals
STL 49 goals
CBJ 48 goals

Third tier of goal scorers

DET 34 goals
CHI 18 goals
NSH 32 goals
STL 31 goals
CBJ 21 goals

For those keeping tract at home the differential in goals per line of production.

DET -5 / 0 / -2 Total -7
CHI -10 / -9 / +14 Total -6
STL +2 / -2 / +1 Total +1
CBJ -13 / -1 / +11 Total -3

Nashville spreads out the scoring and with the additional depth unlike the other competitors who have tapped out their depth because of the salary cap and age Nashville can make call ups which easily make up the difference in goals. Because of the 3rd line, Nashville doesn't NEED a top goal scorer to make up the difference.

And incase you were wondering about the defensive scoring?

First pairing

DET 15G +7
CHI 21G +2
NSH 22G
STL 18G +1
CBJ 13G +9

second pairing

DET 11G -4
CHI 6G +1
NSH 7G
STL 11G -4
CBJ 9G +7
I'm going to refer to this next time someone kvetches about our offense, so I can point out that our first line scored more goals than any of the other first lines in the Central Division, including the Cup winners. Because "five guys with fifty points or more" doesn't seem to register with folks.

Now all we have to do is learn how to do that without, y'know, conceding even more goals to the opposition.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:41 PM
predfan24

Lombardi- Not likely. I didn't see him much last year in PHX but I watched him a lot in Calgary. One of the fastest skaters in the game and a good two way player but I see him as a consistent 50 point guy.

Erat- He has the ability to do it for sure but one has to think if he hasn't done it at this point in his career it's not likely.

Legwand- No

Sullivan- Still has good offensive awareness and great hands but simply doesn't have the great speed he used to have which made him a very dangerous player. I'd be happy if he had another season like last year.

Wilson- At his prime I see him as a consistent 60+ point guy but not this year.

Hornqvist- 30-30 is very possible for him but not guaranteed. Possible

Dumont- He could do it if a few factors go right. He gets swagger back and Trotz gives him more ice time.

Weber- It won't happen on the Pred but on a very good offensive team with a good PP he could hit 25 goals 60+ points easily.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote