HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kabanov already getting in trouble

Old
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Kabanov already getting in trouble

According to http://twitter.com/KatieStrangNYI/status/24387411132

If it was anyone else it wouldn't be a big deal and we wouldn't have noticed.

He's just late but with his history he has to be smarter than that. I also wonder whether the other players are going by the same rules or is Kabanov getting the "short leash" treatment (which he should imo).

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:58 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
According to http://twitter.com/KatieStrangNYI/status/24387411132

If it was anyone else it wouldn't be a big deal and we wouldn't have noticed.

He's just late but with his history he has to be smarter than that. I also wonder whether the other players are going by the same rules or is Kabanov getting the "short leash" treatment (which he should imo).
Perhaps and its necessary if this kid wants to make it eventually. No one thats committed should be late for anything team related. With obvious exceptions withstanding..(health, etc.)

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

I was gonna post this, but didn't think it was up to me. Teams should avoid this player at all costs. I'm from New Brunswick (province) and Kabanov was always in papers being a ****. He's ACTUALLY psychotic. Absolutely PSYCHOTIC.

Really think Islanders should trade him to a gullable team for another pick or as a package if need be. ffs this guy is nuts I can't stress it enough.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluske View Post
I was gonna post this, but didn't think it was up to me. Teams should avoid this player at all costs. I'm from New Brunswick (province) and Kabanov was always in papers being a ****. He's ACTUALLY psychotic. Absolutely PSYCHOTIC.

Really think Islanders should trade him to a gullable team for another pick or as a package if need be. ffs this guy is nuts I can't stress it enough.
So far he has come off as a real good (although cocky) kid. But that could have all been an act.

He's not killing puppies but I'm assuming being late does not mean 2 minutes or anything like that. Maybe his true self is finally trying emerging.

All I know is that it will become a circus if it keeps up (I mean the Islanders will already "address" this later on in the day).

But just out of curiosity can you share some stories from up there that we may not already have heard?

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:06 AM
KH1

No need to overreact to the guy showing up late once, but let's be honest with ourselves here: there's a reason that the guy slipped to the 3rd round.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:09 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Not a good way to get noticed by the coaching staff.

09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
So far he has come off as a real good (although cocky) kid. But that could have all been an act.

He's not killing puppies but I'm assuming being late does not mean 2 minutes or anything like that. Maybe his true self is finally trying emerging.

All I know is that it will become a circus if it keeps up (I mean the Islanders will already "address" this later on in the day).

But just out of curiosity can you share some stories from up there that we may not already have heard?
In Moncton he was injured and when he came back he wasn't fit and didn't get the minutes he wanted, so he held out from playing. Instead of sucumbing (sp) to his demands the coach quietly made him a healthy scratch for the rest of the year and he went mental. Coach sent him to Russia and they didn't want him because he disrupted the team.

Basically: Kabanov went mental because another player was playing better than him.

He left Russia in contraversy too before signing in the QMJHL.

This won't be the end I fear...though the media exagerrates (esp Moncton's which is comparable to Montreal-type reporting) I think there's always some truth. Bottom line: He's disruptive and throws tantrums.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:14 AM
1 Timer

My kid got to his game 45 min. before the start instead of the team rule 1 hour arrival time so he missed the pregame stretch... he was so upset that we were late... I guess a 12 year old has puts more stock into being on time. I have a bad feeling about this player.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
the sweetener

if no jr's team will take him cant he play in BPT? maybe hes trying to get booted off the squad.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:18 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Best comparison is Kabanov = a loud mouth version of Yashin.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Le Golie

Kid just doesn't get it. After what he's done over the last two years, this shows how serious he is about change and commitment. Not only is he absurdly overrated as a player, he's a POS who all his teammates are going to hate. No matter how much fans see his behaviour as 'having so much fun out there!!!1!', the guys in the room are going to want to knock him out on a daily basis.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:31 AM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH1 View Post
No need to overreact to the guy showing up late once, but let's be honest with ourselves here: there's a reason that the guy slipped to the 3rd round.
This. Isles are certainly handling him the right way - no tolerance for breaking simple rules. Kabanov will either grow up and follow the rules, or the Isles will trade/bury him. We don't know what the chances are of either result, but it's worth the risk of the latter for the possibility of gaining a very productive player with that 3rd rounder.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:32 AM
1 Timer

Quote:
Best comparison is Kabanov = a loud mouth version of Yashin.
I hope not, I never want to see someone be their own worst enemy, that tears at my gut.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Mountainside

Quote:

Where have you read that? I am also originally from New Brunswick, and follow the wildcats and all sports coverage regularly and haven't seen anything quite that extreme.

The kid's got some problems no doubt, I just haven't come across any these psychotic articles you speak of.

If any of you have ever gotten a chance to talk to Kirill for a few minutes you'll be amazed of how he can get himself into so much trouble. He's a really nice kid who loves hockey and would never skip an autograph. By talking to him in person I dont find he's even cocky at all.. His behaviour at the rink sometimes suggests otherwise though.

EDIT: I just read your story and it's false in some parts, correct in others and exaggerated throughout.

Why some people have such a hard on to hate this kid I dont know.

Mountainside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:21 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainside View Post
Where have you read that? I am also originally from New Brunswick, and follow the wildcats and all sports coverage regularly and haven't seen anything quite that extreme.

The kid's got some problems no doubt, I just haven't come across any these psychotic articles you speak of.

If any of you have ever gotten a chance to talk to Kirill for a few minutes you'll be amazed of how he can get himself into so much trouble. He's a really nice kid who loves hockey and would never skip an autograph. By talking to him in person I dont find he's even cocky at all.. His behaviour at the rink sometimes suggests otherwise though.

EDIT: I just read your story and it's false in some parts, correct in others and exaggerated throughout.

Why some people have such a hard on to hate this kid I dont know.
Google it or wiki it. Never said the papers called him psychotic, I said he IS psychotic. I've talked to members of the local media who've echo'd this opinion. I'm just saying he got scratched from a team for not wanted to play on the third line, sent to russia, cut from that team for being disruptive, and then suspended from skating for not showing up to physicals...I highly doubt all of these CONFIRMED REPORTS (nhl.com, globe and mail, etc.) are lying.

EDIT: Here's a nice one: http://www.russianhockeyfans.com/pro...-fall-198.html

Jumps on ice after being benched and has teammates screaming at him mid-game, then his agent quits and tells him to seek different representation partly because his dad's a **** too.

Last edited by GM17*: 09-13-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
Not a good way to get noticed by the coaching staff.
Actually, it's a great way of getting noticed. But for all the wrong reasons...

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
IslesNorway

Isn't Kabanov staying with Eric Cairns? In that case I find this a little strange.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Lets be real, who hasn't been late to work? Flat tire, traffic, power outage took out your alarm clock and a million other excuses. Had this not been Kirill it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Quote:
it was anyone else it wouldn't be a big deal and we wouldn't have noticed.
It's not good and he should be extra careful given his reputation. But he's young and **** happens. So the question really is. Is this an honest human mistake or a sign of bad things to come? Only time will tell. I'm cheering for him. At 18/19 I was still a snot nose. Tough to be in his spot, but a great chance he shouldn't take for granted.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Mountainside

Quote:
Google it or wiki it. Never said the papers called him psychotic, I said he IS psychotic. I've talked to members of the local media who've echo'd this opinion. I'm just saying he got scratched from a team for not wanted to play on the third line, sent to russia, cut from that team for being disruptive, and then suspended from skating for not showing up to physicals...I highly doubt all of these CONFIRMED REPORTS (nhl.com, globe and mail, etc.) are lying.

He got scratched from the team because he took a bad penalty in the playoffs. His father thought he was wasting his time having to earn his ice time and sent him back to Russia for the u-18's. He wasn't getting quality ice time after returning from injury and in the end both sides decided that if he wasnt happy with his ice time maybe it was best he went back for some prime ice time.

Quote:
"He's missed so much time, he's coming back from a significant injury and he needs to play a lot in key situations," said Flynn. "He needs to be on the top two lines and be on the power play to maximize his potential. We just felt he wasn't going to get that in this series against Cape Breton given that both teams are going with older experienced lineups. We thought the opportunity for him to play in the World Under-18s and get a lot of ice time would help in his development."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=522434

Once in Russia, it's up in the air the real reason why he was released there. Some people believe he really was disruptive, others believe it was one last chance for the Russian hockey federation to get back at a star young player who left them high and dry.

As for this physical stuff.. if this was anyone else it would have never been reported.. but he has a checkered past so of course it is. I'm fine with that. The Islanders have to do stuff like this for the best of Kirill Kabanov.

I think you've got a lot of the right idea and there has been reports on all this stuff but none I've seen/heard have depicted him I would depict as psychotic.

He definitely has his baggage. It's hopefully a matter of the maturity light turning on, but who knows, maybe it never will..

Mountainside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:46 AM
redbull
game on

Thanks to Gluske & Mountainside for your input. I think you bring a unique perspective being from the east coast and having much more access to information at many levels compared to most of the hockey world. Let's face it, youtube is rich with slick moves but how teammates treat a player or how he's perceived among his peers, in the community, are not things that anyone typically cares about.

I'm not suggesting "psychotic" or "hated by teammates" is even true, not at all, but your input is welcomed.

----

I think with KK we simply have a player who's very immature.

This is a hockey message board in early September, this is maybe a non-story. Maybe.
You hear comments like "I'll rip up my passport" and he comes across as somewhat aloof, maybe not focused - he's a kid.

Contrast that with a guy like Tavares who's not much older. Tavares acts like a veteran, speaks with respect (to the media), is thought very highly of in terms of his work ethic, commitment to the game, his teammates. You talk about character, that matters a HUGE deal in the culture of an organization (sports and non-sports). I heard Tavares interviewed at a Blue Jays game and the question was asked about playing in Toronto one day - he said "I grew up a Leaf fan but I'm not one anymore. I'm an Islander, I love playing on Long Island and we have a great thing going there." (paraphrasing)

Maturity and class.

I'm not expecting KK to be like Tavares nor do I mean to compare them. But Kirill should really strive for that, especially in the short term. YOu can coach that to some extent, but at some level, it has to come from within. (Don't trust me on that, I heard the same from Lindsay Lohan whom I follow religiously on twitter - as many of you do I'm sure)

Sure. It's just one day, one lateness incident, happens to everyone. Quite possibly true.

But players earn the benefit of the doubt based on their track record, not the other way around. If Doug Weight is late for practice, probably not a big deal. Maybe the same for other players. But for KK, I'd say it's VERY IMPORTANT he stays away from that kind of press.

I'm not suggesting the Islanders shouldn't have drafted him or that this is some colossal disgrace. Far from it. I'm just saying he has a lot to overcome (on and off the ice) before he's penciled into any line-up or even praised as a top prospect. He still has a lot to prove before I get excited about him as a serious NHL prospect and a guy who can be a difference maker, a contributor to a winning team, in a prominent role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Kid just doesn't get it. After what he's done over the last two years, this shows how serious he is about change and commitment. Not only is he absurdly overrated as a player, he's a POS who all his teammates are going to hate. No matter how much fans see his behaviour as 'having so much fun out there!!!1!', the guys in the room are going to want to knock him out on a daily basis.
I agree with you. If anything, this kid has agents, team reps/mentors, at the very least, his goal for this season is to stay out of the news for anything off the ice. Come to work, play hard, hopefully get some on-ice results. Don't say anything stupid, don't do anything stupid, become a valuable member of your team, be respected by your coaches and your teammates and win something. Start to prove the naysayers wrong.

I'm curious what you see from a hockey player perspective. I haven't seen him play so I cannot comment (scrimmages don't count) - how do you feel he's overrated? Do you mean the way some posters talk about him being the next Kovalchuk? or by the hockey media? or by some extreme fans (not unlike Schremp and Linus Omark )?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Isn't Kabanov staying with Eric Cairns? In that case I find this a little strange.
maybe Cairns forgot to put gas in the tank

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:59 AM
scott99

I'm not ready to give up on Kabanov just yet, and I doubt the Isles are either. Let's have training camp play itself out first. The kid AND the Isles know that he has practically no shot at all making the Isles this year, let him play a full season in Moncton and see what he does. Hopefully Russia allows him to play at the WJHC as well. I do think he's a bit nutty, I noticed that during the draft interviews and during the Blue and Orange scrimmage, he's like a Chad Johnson from the Bengals. Except he hasn't accomplished anything to boast about. Hopefully it's a lot to do about nothing.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

The Isles have his rights for a couple of years. If he ends up being a good player, great... if he ends up being a weirdo and not worth dealing with, cut bait. It's just a 3rd round pick. 7 out of 8 3rd rounders never amount to squat anyway.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumanperro View Post
Lets be real, who hasn't been late to work? Flat tire, traffic, power outage took out your alarm clock and a million other excuses. Had this not been Kirill it wouldn't be that big a deal.

It's not good and he should be extra careful given his reputation. But he's young and **** happens. So the question really is. Is this an honest human mistake or a sign of bad things to come? Only time will tell. I'm cheering for him. At 18/19 I was still a snot nose. Tough to be in his spot, but a great chance he shouldn't take for granted.
I think it would be a big deal if it was ANY of the rookies that were in this situation, unless it was completely unavoidable. But, I'm sure the team wouldn't have felt the need to send him home if it were one of those out of the blue/nothing you can do about situations. But again, it was Kabanov who has a history of getting himself in trouble.

Let's hope he gets the message and gets on with camp. It will be a bigger issue however, if the disciplinary action taken by the team does not act as a deterrant to similar behavior in the future.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 12:04 PM
ERC91

Quote:
He left Russia in contraversy too before signing in the QMJHL.
This controversy was definitely everything else than his fault. His team tried to change his contract subsequently and also the IIHF confirmed that this was illegal.

Quote:
In Moncton he was injured and when he came back he wasn't fit
He still scored 9 points in 11 games with 7-8 minutes average TOI. I don't know where you got from that he wasn't fit, but to me it doesn't look like he wasn't.

Quote:
and didn't get the minutes he wanted
Actually he didn't get the minutes that they promised to give him.

Quote:
Basically: Kabanov went mental because another player was playing better than him.
No.
He fought against his club and the Russian federation to be able to live his dream of playing for a team in NA. Then that team which actually promised him top line minutes, demoted him to the third line though he was playing good. Not saying that it's ok to bolt due to that, but isn't it somehow understandable, that you get disappointet, especially when you already invested that much to even get to play there.

I don't wanna say that he is a complete angel, as he definitely has some issues.
All I wanna say that not everything is just black and white.

I don't know if it was his first issue with your organisation (at least I didn't hear from any others), but if so, i wouldn't make a too big issue out of it. If he was any other prospect, you would do this as well.

ERC91 is offline   Reply With Quote