HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tim Panaccio: Scouts say Bobrovsky could make the team this fall

Old
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
How else would he get the job? I was responding to your "Typical" post. You're like the Howard Eskin of HFboards except you don't get paid for it.
So did I, and then some:

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The reason I say it is because this team is always willing to sacrifice development and potential is not organizational sensibility because "he's good enough to be in the NHL."

It goes back a couple years, but the Flyers long ago forfeited the luxury of simply having the best 20 guys on the team.
Might need to fix my typo, whoops.

Quote:
The other thing is that Holmgren is uberloyal to guys, unless his hand is forces (see: Randy Jones - for most of what I'm referring to). I don't see him dumping on Boucher (because Leighton is safe no matter what) if he's outplayed in pre-season.
Now, I'll go a bit further, because as "the King" would say, I'm just trying to keep it real.

He would get the job because of injuries. Probably not just to Leighton, Boucher, and Backlund, but a 4th goalie we find via trade or waiver pickup.

Now we have talk "maybe he is actually ready now." Oh well. Should have thought about that before cluttering up the team with junk and you think there is a possibility he should be in the NHL on October 7.

The point is: even with Leighton and Boucher, it's not worth pushing Bobrobsky to the NHL so fast just because. A lot of things would and should (in terms of getting a real opportunity this season) have to go wrong first. Holmgren isn't going to throw Boucher or Leighton under the bus, at least until mid-season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

vCash: 500
Quote:
The reason I say it is because this team is always willing to sacrifice development and potential is not organizational sensibility because "he's good enough to be in the NHL."

It goes back a couple years, but the Flyers long ago forfeited the luxury of simply having the best 20 guys on the team.
???????????????

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
So did I, and then some:

Might need to fix my typo, whoops.

Now, I'll go a bit further, because as "the King" would say, I'm just trying to keep it real.

He would get the job because of injuries. Probably not just to Leighton, Boucher, and Backlund, but a 4th goalie we find via trade or waiver pickup.

Now we have talk "maybe he is actually ready now." Oh well. Should have thought about that before cluttering up the team with junk and you think there is a possibility he should be in the NHL on October 7.

The point is: even with Leighton and Boucher, it's not worth pushing Bobrobsky to the NHL so fast just because. A lot of things would and should (in terms of getting a real opportunity this season) have to go wrong first. Holmgren isn't going to throw Boucher or Leighton under the bus, at least until mid-season.
Eskin sucks. If you are his butt buddy you can do no wrong(Larry Brown,Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid) to name a few.Otherwise he busts balls. If you do well its luck or the sky is falling or some other BS. Keep it real? The guy is as fake as a three dollar bill Turned him off years ago.I bet he still is busting on the Phil's and Flyers cause they do not play that BS game.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 03:53 PM
DMadd

I don't get why some people want him in the AHL, the KHL is a better league then the AHL, so wouldn't that hurt his development more then being in the NHL.

DMadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 05:27 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadd View Post
I don't get why some people want him in the AHL, the KHL is a better league then the AHL, so wouldn't that hurt his development more then being in the NHL.
He is still young, he hasn't played an 80 game schedule yet and most important, he has to learn the north american game. A year in the AHL won't hurt him.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:14 AM
Komarov47

Ericsson is the futur in Philly.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:05 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Thanks. They played all those songs when I saw them this summer, but I'm thinking they meant they haven't played them in Canada in two years or they hadn't played them on tour in general in two years (which I think could make a lot of sense). Probably sucks to hear, but I don't get the vibe from them that they'd go around lying to fan bases.

This summer they put on one of the best shows I've ever seen. Asbury Park, and on my birthday. With Frank Turner. It was awesome.
Why thos lying sons of *****es whatevs, it was a killer show and on my birthday too!

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:17 AM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

So, honestly, when does Bill Meltzer become the official beat writer for the Flyers.

I speak on behalf of the Flyers fanbase when I say.....I HATE TIM PANACCIO!

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:58 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So, honestly, when does Bill Meltzer become the official beat writer for the Flyers.

I speak on behalf of the Flyers fanbase when I say.....I HATE TIM PANACCIO!
I wish Bill was the beat writer.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
He is still young, he hasn't played an 80 game schedule yet and most important, he has to learn the north american game. A year in the AHL won't hurt him.
See, I don't buy this argument for one moment. Henrik Lundqvist also didn't play a year in the AHL and he wasn't used to playing an 80 game schedule, yet he came over to North America and wowed right away. What if, I'm not saying that he does, but what if Bobrovsky has that kind of talent? Are you saying it's ok to let him sit in the minors then because he hasn't played 80 games or because he isn't accustomed to North American hockey? There's just so much that can happen at training camp. Fact is, Bobrovsky has played three seasons of professional hockey in Russia and has put up very good numbers on a very bad team. Add to the fact that he's now in North America, working out with the guys and learning English, it's clear that his mind is set on making the big club. And you know what, I like that kind of mindset on a player. Yes, Bobrovsky has stated he'd have no problem going to the A, but damn, you gotta like the fact that he's going to come here because he wants to make the big club. That should be every player's ambition.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 12:49 PM
ArmchairGM

I've heard conflicting information. Does the KHL use the same size ice sheet as the NHL? If not, that's all the more reason Bobrovsky needs playing time in the AHL.

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
See, I don't buy this argument for one moment. Henrik Lundqvist also didn't play a year in the AHL and he wasn't used to playing an 80 game schedule, yet he came over to North America and wowed right away. What if, I'm not saying that he does, but what if Bobrovsky has that kind of talent? Are you saying it's ok to let him sit in the minors then because he hasn't played 80 games or because he isn't accustomed to North American hockey? There's just so much that can happen at training camp. Fact is, Bobrovsky has played three seasons of professional hockey in Russia and has put up very good numbers on a very bad team. Add to the fact that he's now in North America, working out with the guys and learning English, it's clear that his mind is set on making the big club. And you know what, I like that kind of mindset on a player. Yes, Bobrovsky has stated he'd have no problem going to the A, but damn, you gotta like the fact that he's going to come here because he wants to make the big club. That should be every player's ambition.
If Bobrovsky wins the starting job, I have no problem with him playing, I just don't see it happen.

For Lundqvist, he played 58 games with Frolunda (regular season and playoffs) and another 15 games with the national team. Bobrovsky played 35 games last season.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
???????????????
If you have cap space and bad contract clutter in front of him, then that has to be dealt with first. I mentioned Randy Jones because he was recalled from the Phantoms because Holmgren felt he was an NHL player, despite growing cap concerns that would have been compounded. Even if Randy Jones was an NHL player and should have been on the team (he wasn't and he shouldn't have been but we've been there-done that), there wasn't any room for him regardless. Also, Luca Sbisa making the 2008-09 team, was later sent back to juniors because we needed room for, you guessed it, Randy Jones. You can't play musical chairs with more chairs than people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Eskin sucks. If you are his butt buddy you can do no wrong(Larry Brown,Jimmy Johnson, Andy Reid) to name a few.Otherwise he busts balls. If you do well its luck or the sky is falling or some other BS. Keep it real? The guy is as fake as a three dollar bill Turned him off years ago.I bet he still is busting on the Phil's and Flyers cause they do not play that BS game.
He's been keeping it towards the Phillies recently, but I only listen to the midday show at any sort of consistency.

Also, about Lundqvist, it's a forgotten little thing that he was not the starting goaltender to open his rookie season. He was a rookie the first year after the lockout, but Kevin Weekes opened the season. The team itself was not considered a Cup-contending team and the fact they made the playoffs was a shock. If we were in a position where making the playoffs is a bonus, then I wouldn't mind as much Bobrovsky being given a better chance to make the team. Lundqivst only played 53 games (plus Olympics), and if I'm recalling correctly, Rangers fans still felt he was worn out by the end of the season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
Listening to your scouts and giving a guy a shot isn't a bad decision whether Bob succeeds tremendously or not. Signing Leighton instead of Ellis/Mason/Turco and going with Boucher as your backup - now that's a horrendous decision.
Again, don't understand the logic. Why is Holmgren only allowed to trust his amateur scouts re: Bobrovsky, but if his pro scouts and coaching staff tell him that Leighton is as a good a bet or better than someone like Mason or Ellis, he is supposed to ignore them?

It's clear Homer was serious about Nabokov or Turco, but Nabby wanted huge money not a reasonable paycheque and chance at a Cup, Turco thinks a Cup is a better bet with half the SC Champs than with the Flyers for a lot less money term. Homer isn't responsible for the decisions those guys made.

When they weren't options, his preference was Leighton over others. I think he was right, Mason has never impressed me, Ellis has never played enough meaningful games to have proved anything either.

It will interesting to see if Backlund or Bobrovsky can fight their way onto the team.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Komarov47

sincerely i think Backlund have a better shot for the starting job than Bobrovsky. And why Backlund couldn't turn into another Antti Niemi?

1- Backlund is mature. He's 29.
2- He was one of the best goalie in AHL.
3- He is used to the NA game now, Bobrovsky isn't.

No need to rush Bobrovsky, let him play in AHL, have a good year, and expect good things from Backlund.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:27 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I just want to see all of our goalies at camp. I'm expecting good things from Backlund and Bobrovsky. I'd love for one of them to bump Boucher from the lineup, but if they don't knock anyone's socks off, let them split time in the AHL.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:40 AM
jb**

The Rushkie is not some 18 or 19 year old kid. He is 23 and has been playing with grown men for several years. That is a little different when talking about he needs time in the ahl. If he was given a legit shot to win the job and he outplayed the competition then he should be the starter. Simple as that. I do not think he will be given a shot which i dont have to much of a problem with. Like some people say, the goalie either stops the puck or doesnt, he is a product of the team. So with that being said it should not matter what league he has played in as being the goalie is the same everywhere. You make the save or you dont.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:27 AM
CharlieGirl

Tim P. has a picture of Backlund's new mask:

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:45 AM
Komarov47

what piss me off is that Homer wasn't able to sign a #1 goalie, he wanted Leighton and Boucher to share the job, but if Backlund or Bobrovsky win the start job he will looks like a genius for not having sign a goalie, despite the fact that it was simply stupidity and not a smart move.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Tim P. has a picture of Backlund's new mask:

Not bad not great.I like when goalies put their personal taste on it.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:48 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Not bad not great.I like when goalies put their personal taste on it.
Yeah, it looks nice, but it's a wee bit generic.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:53 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
what piss me off is that Homer wasn't able to sign a #1 goalie, he wanted Leighton and Boucher to share the job, but if Backlund or Bobrovsky win the start job he will looks like a genius for not having sign a goalie, despite the fact that it was simply stupidity and not a smart move.
You think?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
The Rushkie is not some 18 or 19 year old kid. He is 23 and has been playing with grown men for several years. That is a little different when talking about he needs time in the ahl. If he was given a legit shot to win the job and he outplayed the competition then he should be the starter. Simple as that. I do not think he will be given a shot which i dont have to much of a problem with. Like some people say, the goalie either stops the puck or doesnt, he is a product of the team. So with that being said it should not matter what league he has played in as being the goalie is the same everywhere. You make the save or you dont.
I thought that Bobrovsky had just turned 21 this off-season?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I thought that Bobrovsky had just turned 21 this off-season?
He is turning 22 next week.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
You think?
i do