HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010-2011 Official pre-season Thread (Fedotenko, Exelby, Semenov on tryout)

Closed Thread

Old
09-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalDynamics View Post
Maybe he got divorced and got his 'nads back in the settlment.
weird I was thinking maybe last year it was because some things are more important than hockey ..........like i dont know.....a family? Kinda happy he's there again its a new year new season.

Old
09-12-2010, 08:47 PM
HockeyBurd*

I thought Semenov signed a two year contract in the KHL.

Old
09-12-2010, 09:47 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerichy35 View Post
weird I was thinking maybe last year it was because some things are more important than hockey ..........like i dont know.....a family? Kinda happy he's there again its a new year new season.
Uh, lol, it's not like he was choosing hockey and throwing his family in the garbage... He wanted to play in NY and his wife veto'd it. I'm sure she doesn't complain about all the money he's made in his career playing hockey. She shouldn't have put her foot down like that on something he loves doing and providing for his family just because she didn't wanna live in NY for ONE YEAR.

Old
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
I thought Semenov signed a two year contract in the KHL.
The team folded.

Old
09-12-2010, 10:50 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Why does Semenov have a chip on his shoulder? We handed him a roster spot last season, he got *****ed out by his wife, cried to Sather, and then went to Russia and made more $$$

As for the others, well, usually players do have "chips on their shoulders" because they're unwanted somewhere else, and thats usually for a reason
The phrase is used when someone is out to prove everyone wrong who says they can't.

Yes, Semenov had outside issues, but other teams in the NHL still passed on him.

Other teams passed on Fedotenko and Exelby.

Weather or not it was justified, they still probably have pride as hockey players, and would like to prove to themselves and everyone else that they were wrong.

Take Prospal last year for example.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:10 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

were slowly becoming the final stop for all the has beens.

its like this...

look for the most desperate cap strapped team who needs players who will play for league minimums and 1 year deals.

call slats.

get a tryout at a nyr training camp. if you cant even make that team, then its time to hang em up.

kinda scary.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

its like this...

look for the most desperate cap strapped team who needs players who will play for league minimums and 1 year deals.

call slats.

get a tryout at a nyr training camp. if you cant even make that team, then its time to hang em up.

kinda scary.
That may be a bit dramatic... are the Rangers the only team who brings players in on tryout...?

... for some players it may be a wise move... Exelby may not make the team, but he's coming in being able to offer a toughness that we lacked on the defense last season. How do we know he didn't have a few diff offers...?

Old
09-13-2010, 08:37 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Semenov is the worst player I have seen on the Panthers since the lockout...and Eminger is in the higher top 10 of the worst list....

Potentially...Redden, Rozsival, Eminger, Semenov...

We gather here today to celebrate the life of our King. He took his own life before anybody cared about protecting him...

Old
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Semenov is the worst player I have seen on the Panthers since the lockout...and Eminger is in the higher top 10 of the worst list....

Potentially...Redden, Rozsival, Eminger, Semenov...

We gather here today to celebrate the life of our King. He took his own life before anybody cared about protecting him...
Semenov is a tough guy, though. And he really irritated the Devils when he played them. Not sure what value he has, I just remember not liking his playing for the Rangers

Old
09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
Slowly becoming? It's been this way since the last two years of Smith's run.

09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

As I call it, the NY "retirement home" Rangers.

Sather... Would you like to be pampered, manicured, and grossly over paid? Well, NYR is the perfect fit! We here in NYR is a great establishment for retiring. Come see what needs we can fulfill for you!

Old
09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TortsNeedsMoreJam View Post
As I call it, the NY "retirement home" Rangers.

Sather... Would you like to be pampered, manicured, and grossly over paid? Well, NYR is the perfect fit! We here in NYR is a great establishment for retiring. Come see what needs we can fulfill for you!
Guerin is still a free agent.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:47 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I dont see what the issue is? We invite all these veterans to camp who have NHL experience, some have had some success (Fedotenko), others are just big, tough hitting defensemen (Exelby and to a lesser extent Semenov) and people are wondering why? Some are worried they will block young prospects. Torts has made it clear that no ones job is safe, well at least he has made it clear that Redden's isnt. If our young prospects who have a chance at making this team cannot beat out over the hill veterans such as fedotenko, exelby, semenov, and eminger (who i know we got in a trade), then they dont deserve to be in the NHL yet. They then just need more time to develop. I like the pressure being put on the prospects and a guy like redden to perform by inviting these players to camp. Besides these invites, who are the really "old" guys on this team that make it look like a "retirement home?" Prospal? Prospal who produced very well for us last year? I love seeing people complain and make jokes about something that means absolutely nothing.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Semenov is absolute crap, if you've seen him the last few seasons(not including last since he wasn't in the NHL) with the Sharks he flat out sucked. My brother-in-law is a huge Sharks fan so I would stay up late and watch games with him, Semenov is Malik 2.0. People like to throw around "oh he's so and so 2.0" well Semenov is not physical for his 6'6 size, he takes a lot of lazy penalties and is not even worth another tryout imo. Exelby has more appeal to me.

Old
09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Levitate

Hmm, according to Gross, Del Zotto had surgery in the offseason to fix his nose, cuz it got busted up at some point last year, and that his breathing is still affected by the procedure (hopefully just finishing healing up)

Old
09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Hmm, according to Gross, Del Zotto had surgery in the offseason to fix his nose, cuz it got busted up at some point last year, and that his breathing is still affected by the procedure (hopefully just finishing healing up)
"Busted up"? was he having problems with his nose? Or was this a cosmetic surgery?

Old
09-13-2010, 11:35 AM
UnderPSI
Formerly YMMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
"Busted up"? was he having problems with his nose? Or was this a cosmetic surgery?
http://twitter.com/thenyrangers

Quote:
DZ says original injury occurred last January and has had breathing issue through nose since "figured better to get (surgery) done now"

Old
09-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

About DZ's nosejob . . . http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord

Quote:
#NYRangers D Michael Del Zotto had procedure middle of last week to correct cartilage. He initially hurt his nose against a dasher in Jan.

Old
09-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

I for one am really looking forward to watching us shed the deadweight (Redden included). Camp can't start soon enough.

Old
09-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

sounds to me like del zotto just got a nose job. that's what every girl i've ever met that's had a nose job says. that they did it to help their breathing. yah ok

Old
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
ThirdEye

Didn't he have a big gash on his nose in one game? Or was that someone else?

Old
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Didn't he have a big gash on his nose in one game? Or was that someone else?
Callahan did, I think DZ did at some point too, though.

Old
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
sounds to me like del zotto just got a nose job. that's what every girl i've ever met that's had a nose job says. that they did it to help their breathing. yah ok
Yeah... he had trouble breathing... i.e. he began hyperventilating every time he looked in the mirror and saw that bump in his nose.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Nemchinov13

My God, this feels like 98 all over again! Or was it 99? Or 2000? Or all of them? All of a sudden I have this hopeless feeling again. Team full of underperforming expensive free agents (Gabby's being notable exception), a few homegrowns, and waiver wire fodder challenging and beating our kids for spots. Granted that the final team hasn't been announced yet (and hopefully, our kids will prove ourselves), but this reeks of Fedyk, Sweeney,Toms, Karpa, Kamensky and other forgetable names that have ever (dis)graced our sweater. Although, there's nothing really to disgrace. Rangers have historically been mediocre to pathetic organization.

I may sound like a panic-monger, but I'm getting sick of mediocrity. In my years that I've been a fan of the NYR (from 92), the team has made playoffs 7 times. Goddammit.
/end rant.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
Semenov is absolute crap, if you've seen him the last few seasons(not including last since he wasn't in the NHL) with the Sharks he flat out sucked. My brother-in-law is a huge Sharks fan so I would stay up late and watch games with him, Semenov is Malik 2.0. People like to throw around "oh he's so and so 2.0" well Semenov is not physical for his 6'6 size, he takes a lot of lazy penalties and is not even worth another tryout imo. Exelby has more appeal to me.
At least Malik was sound positionally. Exelby, meh. Just a loose cannon on the ice. Might as well play forward if all he does is running around looking for big hits. Lord, I hope none of these fools have a chance for a roster spot. Anders friggin' Erixon was better than either one of them.

Closed Thread