HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

9 years tomorrow...

Old
09-11-2010, 12:47 PM
DubiDubiDoo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
I was in college at Hofstra University the day it happened, living in the dorms. I remember my girlfriend (now my wife) waking me up to tell me something happened. I remember watching the news and argueing that it couldn't have been a plane, those first few minutes of shock, thinkingn how can an accident like that happen. And as we watched seeing another plane hit, knowing now, for sure this was no accident. As we are both New Yorkers I'm sure like most of you, we have dozens of friends and family who are cops, firemen, brokers, business people etc that all worked in the area. We were crying, and angry and hoping someone was going to come on tv and say this was all a mistake...well that never happened.
I remember after the first tower fell thinking how wierd the second tower looked there by itself, and felt guilty for that thought when it fell. I kept telling my wife everyone probably got out, that was all I could say.
Mostly I remember the rage that set in days later, that wouldn't go away. Angry all the time, I wanted to see someone pay. We lost so many beautiful people that day.
The only good I remember was the outpouring of love and support from around the country. As a NYer sometimes I feel like everyone hates us from around the states, but I didn't feel that way for months and months after 9/11.
It still hurts. I still want to see new towers built. I still want to see justice. The people who lost their lives, their families their friends, all of us, make me always proud to be Americans, and New Yorkers. God Bless them all!

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Lady Vengeance
FTTW

I was living in Baltimore at the time. When everything happened, I was sitting in one of the computer labs of my college, waiting to go to my first class. A friend IMed me to tell me that something had happened in NYC, but when I tried to check on various news sites, none of them would load. Nobody else in the lab knew what was going on. Then someone got a phone call about DC and we were all left wondering if a) the entire country was under attack; and b) if Baltimore was next. I kept trying to get a hold of my grandmother, to find out if my one aunt, who worked near the towers, was okay, but even down there, the phone lines were all jammed.

The school ended up cancelling classes, and my sister and I drove to her apartment and watched the news until I had to go to work. Got into work and the few people who came in were completely silent, shell-shocked by it all. Went home and stayed up all night listening to helicopters and jets flying overhead.

I was lucky that nobody I really knew was killed - the aunts ended up being in Maine that day - but I know so many people who were affected, both in NYC and DC. RIP to the loved ones they'd lost, and to all who were killed in the attacks.

Lady Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Even though I live across the Atlantic ocean, I still remember 9/11 very well. Turning on the TV a minute or two after the first tower was struck and seeing it on fire, was quite a shock... Not to mention what happened later. It was insane, and it still is.

RIP, all the fallen.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Groot
I am Groot.

I was in 2nd grade at the time. The school didn't tell us what happened of course but once I got home I saw that the flag on our falgpole was at half staff and my dad was home early from work. So I went inside and he told me what happened and I really didn't understand the significance of it considering I was only 7. I remember being upset that the flag was at half staff and then I watched the news until I went to sleep. RIP to all of the servicemen and women that lost their lives tragically on that day.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Never forget. RIP to all who died that day and God Bless everyone who unselfishly gave their lives to save others.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:10 PM
DA 17

Never Forget. RIP to all that had their lives taken than day.

DA 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2010, 09:46 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Spent some time on the pile. The smell of jet fuel will forever be burned into my mind. Looking for signs of life and just finding death..

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 09-12-2010 at 06:17 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:10 AM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
#21KO

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Today is very similar to the way it was that day. Cool and comfortable with not a cloud in the sky.
i went through the city today from long island to new jersey and going through it and seeing the two lights beam high into the sky...my stomach just dropped. i still cant handle the impact of that day no matter how long ago it was.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:10 AM
nyrleetch

Anybody watching the special on History channel right now. Some of the scariest things you will ever see.

nyrleetch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
RyanBozak

Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
Anybody watching the special on History channel right now. Some of the scariest things you will ever see.
Yup. I am. Simply stunning.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:25 AM
DrZoidberg

I just turned it on because I read your post..I've seen most 9/11 documentaries, but not this one. Hits you hard every time you see some new footage (or old, really).

DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:35 AM
nyrleetch

Unreal. I mean watching the tower go straight down like that I'm speechless.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:39 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
i was a freshman in high school....my step dad was on the 2nd floor eating breakfast when the 1st plane hit. his brother-in-law worked on his floor...my uncle is a SGT. for the port authority police...they all made it out but it was one of the scariest days of my life

heres the weird part....my step dad who worked there (now works in the merc building because of relocation) ITS HIS BIRTHDAY!! my mom was getting ready to also head in for lunch to surprise him....she obviously couldnt. very scary day for my family

all i remember is my step dad sitting on the couch, face red as anything saying, the TV cant even demonstrate 10% of what it was like to be there...he was covered in dust when he got home but he was a tough one....unfortunately some of the stories might be waaaaay too graphic for me to even go into detail about what he told me

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:45 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
I'm sick to my stomach.

At the time I was too young to grasp what was going on (was in 1st grade) but knew something was up when my dad didn't come up before I went to bed. Thank God he got home safely. To this day he won't tell me what went on. Whenever it's even brought up his mood changes completely.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:48 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
I'm sick to my stomach.

At the time I was too young to grasp what was going on (was in 1st grade) but knew something was up when my dad didn't come up before I went to bed. Thank God he got home safely. To this day he won't tell me what went on. Whenever it's even brought up his mood changes completely.
i dont blame him...finally my family members came around but u dont wanna hear the horror stories...especially since nyc was on lockdown and people were walking 13 miles to the GWB from lower manhattan

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:50 AM
nyrleetch

I was in 5th grade about an hour north of NYC. All I remember was getting out of school and the rumor floating around was an electrical problem at our school. I still remember everything like it was yesterday.

Old
09-12-2010, 06:26 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I remember being dropped off at school (5th grade) and listening to KROCK and them mentioning that 2 planes had hit the WTC. I told my mom and she said it would be fine. They didn't even mention it that day at school. I still remember being upset that I couldn't go to my friends house that day after school. So long ago....

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
I was a freshman in catholic high school in fairfield, ct. They announced it over the intercom when it happened and we were just leaving study hall and just about every teacher turned their tv on in their classroom and then they dismissed us early. On the bus ride home someone told me that someone they were related to was supposed to have a school trip to the World Trade Center buildings and something came up and they couldn't go. It was such a hard and difficult day for everyone, but mostly for those that lost someone. My deepest apologies go out to those that lost someone in that horrific tragedy.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:18 AM
FultonReed
ew, you did what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin27NYI View Post
i went through the city today from long island to new jersey and going through it and seeing the two lights beam high into the sky...my stomach just dropped. i still cant handle the impact of that day no matter how long ago it was.
i could stand on the corner of my block and see them last night. me and my buddy were discussing the fact that they should keep them on all through the year.

FultonReed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:33 AM
GoHomez

Even though I live halfway around the world I remember that day clearer than yesterday. So many stories, friends in NY you were unable to get a hold on. One of my best friend's father worked on lower Manhattan and he was unable to get through to him, he was as pale as a man can be.

Went home and saw everything on TV being re-run and re-run, then by noon they were starting shooting missiles in Kabul and I was 100% dead certain 3rd world war was about to start. We were expecting our first kid in Februari and I couldnt stop thinking about what kind of world he or she would be born into.

RIP.

GoHomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR425 View Post
I am retired FDNY, injured on 9-11... I lost many friends on that day and will NEVER FORGET... Now can someone please tell me, why THEY ARE BUILDING A MOSQUE two blocks from the site. What about being sensitive to our feelings...
Easy. They (politicians) are still so concerned about being considered 'racist' in any way that they forget to project the opinions of the majority (who elected them). I have no problem with Islam in general - this was an extremist act - but this is still totally uncalled for... This country needs a strong leader who stands up for us.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
9 ****ing years later and we still don't have a proper memorial. We should've built two towers that were even bigger in it's place.

RIP to all those who were lost..
ABSOLUTELY. Even better - One GIANT tower... that would be the highest in the world. God knows we have the money, and the capability - it would serve as a giant memorial to all those fallen - the businessmen, fd, and pd who sadly passed.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
ABSOLUTELY. Even better - One GIANT tower... that would be the highest in the world. God knows we have the money, and the capability - it would serve as a giant memorial to all those fallen - the businessmen, fd, and pd who sadly passed.
Agree with both your posts.

I'd be open to discussing a Mosque AFTER the site is rebuilt and a proper memorial is dedicated.

It's a total disgrace that we've done so little in nine years to get that site rebuilt.

The Empire State Building was completed ahead of schedule in a total 1 year 45 days in the great depression.

What does that say about the way things get done in our country these days?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote