HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tim Panaccio: Scouts say Bobrovsky could make the team this fall

Old
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
McNasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
what piss me off is that Homer wasn't able to sign a #1 goalie, he wanted Leighton and Boucher to share the job, but if Backlund or Bobrovsky win the start job he will looks like a genius for not having sign a goalie, despite the fact that it was simply stupidity and not a smart move.
See this isn't fair, if one of them steals the job you can't dismiss it like oh Holmgren got lucky. All signs point to the fact that they stuck with Leighton BECAUSE they wanted to be able to let their young guys have a shot. I don't agree with the decision either, but you can't say it was stupidity to not pay more then you think a goalie is worth, when you feel your pipeline can produce a starter.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
See this isn't fair, if one of them steals the job you can't dismiss it like oh Holmgren got lucky. All signs point to the fact that they stuck with Leighton BECAUSE they wanted to be able to let their young guys have a shot. I don't agree with the decision either, but you can't say it was stupidity to not pay more then you think a goalie is worth, when you feel your pipeline can produce a starter.
I think all Homer detractors have proven that they can. Whether they have a basis for said detraction is what is not proven.

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
He is turning 22 next week.
That's a hell of an off-season.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Komarov47

Quote:
Do you believe that Homer thought at July 1st "Well i won't take a goalie even if Emery is out, if Leighton & Boucher are average, i don't care i have 2 potential starter in my farm!" ??

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Do you believe that Homer thought at July 1st "Well i won't take a goalie even if Emery is out, if Leighton & Boucher are average, i don't care i have 2 potential starter in my farm!" ??
I believe that they think Leighton is good enough for the short term, and that one of their prospects is good enough for the long term.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
the smart move would have been to sign a proven veteran for a short contract, for a rate similar to leighton's.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:38 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
I believe that they think Leighton is good enough for the short term, and that one of their prospects is good enough for the long term.
Problem is Leighton isn't good enough for the short term and giving him the starter's role is more of a risk than they needed to take.

It's all well and good that one of those prospects is set for the future--it doesn't solve the current problem.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMadd View Post
I don't get why some people want him in the AHL, the KHL is a better league then the AHL, so wouldn't that hurt his development more then being in the NHL.
Maybe - but if he's in the AHL then the Flyers can call him up when our wonderful trio of goalies Leighton/Boucher/Backlund either implode, get injured or just flat-out blow. Which is a very real possibility.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:23 PM
Jumping

If he breaks camp with the Flyers it will be either a very good thing or a very bad thing... there will be no grey area.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Problem is Leighton isn't good enough for the short term and giving him the starter's role is more of a risk than they needed to take.

It's all well and good that one of those prospects is set for the future--it doesn't solve the current problem.
I think Leighton is the worst starting goaltender in the league. However, if Bobrovsky or Backlund steal the job then to me that saves Holmgren from some criticism.

Old
09-14-2010, 09:42 AM
TOCxNJ

Quote:
I think Leighton is the worst starting goaltender in the league. However, if Bobrovsky or Backlund steal the job then to me that saves Holmgren from some criticism.
Totally agree.

TOCxNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:12 AM
Teezax

He can't be any worse than Leights or Bouch, that's the way i see it.
I'd like to see him play a season in the AHL though with a few guest appearances throughout the season.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Leighton had a .918 after coming over from the Canes (27 games). That's good enough to put him in the top 15, if he replicates it over a full season here. Seeing as he had a .916 in the playoffs (14 games), I think it's feasible.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Leighton had a .918 after coming over from the Canes (27 games). That's good enough to put him in the top 15, if he replicates it over a full season here. Seeing as he had a .916 in the playoffs (14 games), I think it's feasible.
Michael Leighton has NEVER played a full NHL season. There are guys in the NHL who have almost played more games in one season than Leighton has in his 9 year career. Is this just a mistake by all the other GM's are Homer getting lucky over a short stretch of the season? And during the Chicago series it was practically unbearable at points.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Michael Leighton has NEVER played a full NHL season. There are guys in the NHL who have almost played more games in one season than Leighton has in his 9 year career. Is this just a mistake by all the other GM's are Homer getting lucky over a short stretch of the season? And during the Chicago series it was practically unbearable at points.
And prior to the Final...? Was it nerves? Because outside of the Chicago series, Leighton saved the Flyers' season.

All I have to do is think of Roussel, Soderstrom, and Beauregard and how this team compares now. I like our chances. Philly fans are too negative and I blame the Eagles fanbase and WIP for it.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:45 AM
IrishSniper87

Backlund is no spring chicken. We are wasting his time having him in the AHL at 29. That's the perfect spot for Bob to work on the American game. Backlund should be the Flyers backup to Leighton and Boucher can journeyman elsewhere.

Seriously, Boucher's stat line is embarrassing considering the team in front of him.

9-18-3, 0.899 SV%, 2.76 GAA, 1 SO

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:00 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Boucher was the best statistical goalie in the first round of the playoffs too.

My issues with Leighton are his penchant for soft goals, often forgotten because we won is the absolute softy he gave up to Lucic in game 7 where he got 5 hole sniped (hard to believe). Also the fact that he gets visibly rattled after allowing a goal, highlighted by game 2 where Hossa scored a garbage goal and then he proceeded to get a corner picked on him by Ben Eager.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Backlund is no spring chicken. We are wasting his time having him in the AHL at 29. That's the perfect spot for Bob to work on the American game. Backlund should be the Flyers backup to Leighton and Boucher can journeyman elsewhere.

Seriously, Boucher's stat line is embarrassing considering the team in front of him.

9-18-3, 0.899 SV%, 2.76 GAA, 1 SO
I agree, but the Flyers' O dried up during the stretch that got Stevens fired. From November 7 - December 21 (22 games or of the season), they scored more than 2 goals just 7 times, posting a record of 7-14-1. Boosh went 4-10-1 in that time.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/players/bria...tedTab=gameLog

Old
09-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Boucher was the best statistical goalie in the first round of the playoffs too.

My issues with Leighton are his penchant for soft goals, often forgotten because we won is the absolute softy he gave up to Lucic in game 7 where he got 5 hole sniped (hard to believe). Also the fact that he gets visibly rattled after allowing a goal, highlighted by game 2 where Hossa scored a garbage goal and then he proceeded to get a corner picked on him by Ben Eager.
Yes, it is alarming when a goalie gives up a softie. Imagine how Devils fans used to a 2002 Brodeur must feel now. Heck, Emery was letting in softies before he got injured last year (a couple of goals where he seemed to genuflect and got beat 5-hole). The truth is that Leighton gives the Flyers a chance to win most nights. That's all I can ask for.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
You honestly think it's feasible that a goalie with a career .902 save percentage is going to post a top 15 save percentage over a full season

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
You honestly think it's feasible that a goalie with a career .902 save percentage is going to post a top 15 save percentage over a full season
Yes.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post

EDIT: "Aw, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that." - Homer Simpson

Old
09-18-2010, 05:54 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Interesting Article posted about Bobo.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/17/10/Is...860&feedID=695

Quote:
Bobrovsky had to overcome a lot to get where he is today. It wasn’t easy, considering that he had not worked with a goaltending coach for about two years before arriving in Philadelphia.

“I have only had two goaltending coaches in my career, and in the last few years I worked out alone,” Bobrovsky said. “Of course, it slowed down my progress considerably.

“I didn’t have a person to look at me and my game from the sidelines, to analyze it and to tell me what I was doing wrong, what I had to work on. I had to resort to watching game videos by myself, study them. I was able to make progress, but it just took longer than it could have for me to understand what I had to do and how.”

Bobrovsky said the only coaching he had, was when he visited a two-week goalie camp held by a Finnish goaltending coach that another Russian, the Capitals’ Semyon Varlamov, also worked with.

If Bobrovsky could achieve so much on his own, how good could he really become in the NHL when he is provided with an opportunity to learn?

“There is a great goalie coach here in Philadelphia, Bobrovsky said. “We speak a lot, he helps me so much. It is so nice to have a goalie coach to work with me.”
Man I am getting hyped about this kid. No freaking goalie coach and he still played that good!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Holy ****. bobo is that good by himself? look out NHL

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote