HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

If you had $400

Old
09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Blues88

vCash: 500
If you had $400

and were looking for skates, what would you buy?

And if you recently had $400 and bought skates, why did you buy them (obviously to skate with).

Specifically, my Eastons are killing my feet as a result of being too big. They are the S9's, a decent low-middle of the road skate. I have to get a skate that fits.

I could just buy them in the right size, but I want to spend alittle more and have the boot last a good amount of years.

My foot is kind of average. Not particularly wide or narrow either way. I have worn CCM's and have worn Bauer's. Both are seemingly fine.

Between the:
Reebok 10K, Bauer Vapor x:50, Bauer one80, and CCM U+ Pro

Which one did YOU pick and why.

I play 3-4 times a week, doing my drop in thug thizzle.

Once again, price is really no concern between $300-$400. I know the U+ is about $70 bucks cheaper than the rest. Its a wash with price. Anything over $400 is psycho for my situation. Though $400 seems pretty nuts too.

Thoughts?

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:26 PM
metric

Supreme ONE80's for me. X:40 may be more popular but my feet don't work well with Vapor's.

But no matter what, with skates you get the ones that fit your feet best.

Guessing since you mention you want to buy skates bigger so you can use them awhile that you're still growing. How old are you?

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Devil Dancer

A good friend of mine recently got X60s from eBay for under $400. You could try that.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Blues88

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Supreme ONE80's for me. X:40 may be more popular but my feet don't work well with Vapor's.

But no matter what, with skates you get the ones that fit your feet best.

Guessing since you mention you want to buy skates bigger so you can use them awhile that you're still growing. How old are you?
Sorry if I was kinda unclear. My skates now are too big. I'm 22. Done growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
A good friend of mine recently got X60s from eBay for under $400. You could try that.
Oh I want those beauties. Never had too much luck with skates via Ebay but I will give that a look. Thanks.

What skates do you all sport?

Old
09-13-2010, 05:39 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd go get fitted properly so I don't waste my money on skates that don't fit. I wasted $600 on two pairs of skates that didn't fit my feet correctly.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:41 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bauer-Vapor-X60-...item3a5e7dbe18

X60s. $200.
2 hours left
HURRY!!!!
Not in the best condition it looks like....

Bunch of other X60's on Ebay.... Check them out.
Check out the ONE95's too if you want.

You can get some high-end crap off Ebay.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 05:49 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Closeouts of top end skates online are the way to go, but if you're unsure of your size, that may be a problem.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:00 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Since you have worn Bauers before I would say go with the X50. I also have average feet, Eastons and Bauers always fit-except the One90 line which gives me instant pain when I try them on. Once I find a boot that fits me and does not give me problems I would not leave that line unless you are absolutely sure they won't give you pain. I'm currently in the X60LEs, have also recently worn 1500c, S15, XXXX. I'll stick with the vapor line from here on out since I know what I'm buying. To go buy Reeboks or CCM is asking for trouble, not because they aren't good skates but because I KNOW the vapor line will not give me any problems.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:18 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Showing my age here but any local dealers that sell used stuff?

I got a pair of brand new old stock Bauer supreem 3000's for $100 a couple years ago. They were high end skates back in 1997. lol

Sometimes local mom and pop places clear out last years stuff cheap to make room room for the new models.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Ozz

If I were spending $400 on skates, I'd be looking for a set of $1200 used whatevers!

That said, I just got a pair of RBK 6Ks and I really like the fit on my feet, so I'd be inclined to recommend the 10Ks out of your list.

I was always finicky in my skate fit though, and realize that it might not matter as much to you. Go to a local shop and lace up in a couple pairs and see how they feel, and whittle the list down from there.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Pierre Gotye

Pick a skate based on what works best with the shape of your foot. Don't pay attention to asthetics or gimmicky features. Each skate model and manufacturer offer a different skate for each foot.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 11:14 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
Pick a skate based on what works best with the shape of your foot. Don't pay attention to asthetics or gimmicky features. Each skate model and manufacturer offer a different skate for each foot.
I wonder the percentage of rec league players who are using the wrong skates for their foot (size, width, stiffness, high end, low end, one 90's instead of vapors, stealth instead of synergy, stuff like that)?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:57 AM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd go get fitted properly so I don't waste my money on skates that don't fit. I wasted $600 on two pairs of skates that didn't fit my feet correctly.
Just wondering... were they too big or too small? I bought a pair of Easton's last year, and I think they may be too big. I use wax laces and tie them very tight at the bottom (over the top of my foot), so much so that the boot seems to be permanantly distorted in that area.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:21 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Closeouts of top end skates online are the way to go, but if you're unsure of your size, that may be a problem.
one95s 350

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I bought Vapors in an 8D, which was too long and narrow up front. What happened was I got really bad cramps and my foot was never locked in place. Then got Vapors in 7.5EE, which was comfortable up front but never locked in place in the ankle/heel. Now I'm in Grafs which are perfect...but it cost over $1000 to get a pair of skates that fit properly because I didn't get fitted from the get go.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:02 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post

Specifically, my Eastons are killing my feet as a result of being too big. They are the S9's, a decent low-middle of the road skate. I have to get a skate that fits.

I could just buy them in the right size, but I want to spend alittle more and have the boot last a good amount of years.
Considering these points PLEASE steer clear of online sales and used skates. You don't say how you bought your current skates but I think you need to find a good specialty hockey shop in your area and get fitted by a trained salesperson. It's a good idea to go at a quiet time of day -- you'll have the clerk's undivided attention.

I bought my first adult skates from a big box store -- no sales help and no idea how skates are sized. I grabbed a pair of CCM Tacks in the same size as my sneakers and skated on them for the next 5-6 years. They fit well enough (never had a big problem with blisters) and held up well but were much heavier than my second pair of skates.

My second pair, I bought about a year and a half ago from my local hockey store. Brand & model really doesn't matter as much as fit. The salesman who helped me was pretty psyched to offer me a Reebok skate (maybe a 9K) at a considerable price reduction. It just didn't feel as good on my foot as the Easton S10's I wound up buying -- I've got a high arch that the skates supported well and loved the low cut so I could get more flexibility for my ankle. Throughout the process I got input about what features are good about each skate and which ones are just marketing gimmicks. Every clerk at this shop (Pure Hockey in MA) plays hockey so they've all used most of the products themselves.

As far as used skates, I'm not against them if you're trying to get a good skate on the cheap. But if you've got $400 to spend you shouldn't have trouble finding a quality new skate. What's more, yours will be the only foot that skate is fitted to when it's baked and you'll be the one to break them in.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

100% agree.

A $300 skate will work for probably 95% or more of recreational players. You're not going to gain much going to the $500-600 models unless you're an amazing skater or exceptionally strong or heavy.

Keep in mind that if you buy online and take the skate to a store, you may have to pay another $100 just to get them baked and profiled. And you'll probably have no warranty.

I'd rather skate in a pair of $150 skates that are properly fitted, adjusted, baked, stretched, profiled, sharpened, and guaranteed to work with me than a pair of $1000 skates that are the wrong size or shape.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
and were looking for skates, what would you buy?

And if you recently had $400 and bought skates, why did you buy them (obviously to skate with).

My foot is kind of average. Not particularly wide or narrow either way. I have worn CCM's and have worn Bauer's. Both are seemingly fine.

Between the:
Reebok 10K, Bauer Vapor x:50, Bauer one80, and CCM U+ Pro

Which one did YOU pick and why.

I play 3-4 times a week, doing my drop in thug thizzle.

Once again, price is really no concern between $300-$400. I know the U+ is about $70 bucks cheaper than the rest. Its a wash with price. Anything over $400 is psycho for my situation. Though $400 seems pretty nuts too.

Thoughts?
Skates are all about fit, nobody can really tell you what will work for you, and you CERTAINLY should not be buying skates online without at least trying them on in a store. Really, if I were you I would just find a local shop known to fit skates well, tell them your price range ($300-$400), spend a long time there trying on tonnes of skates, then buy the ones that fit best.

As for my personal choice, I really like Bauer Supreme skates, they fit my feet great, but the same won't necessarily be true for you.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Badger36

Id buy a pair of CCM U+09s. I love my CCMs.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Delete.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:47 PM
fcb51

I have some One95's which are amazing...

I also have a pair of 9K's by RBK which are also pretty damn fine. You can pick either up for under $400 easily if you can find your size.

fcb51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:01 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
I have one75's and love them....If you're in STL I would check out Total Hockey, or Johnny Max, they have alot of closeouts. Also get fitted properly. The boot being bigger isn't going to help it's longevity and might also do damage to your feet.

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Blues88

Thanks for all the responses and keep them coming.

Feel like its a good time to clarify a few things.

First, I WILL NOT be getting any used skates and if I buy anything online (highly unlikely) they will have been tried on first at Total Hockey.

Obviously everything is a personal preference regarding fit but I'm looking for what brands and models people have had alot of success wearing and the ones that were terrible too.

Guy at Total Hockey said Bauer outsells any other brand 4:1. That's a fairly strong endorsement.

Old
09-15-2010, 03:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well...good luck then. Hopefully you've got one of the two foot shapes Bauer fits.

Old
09-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I wonder the percentage of rec league players who are using the wrong skates for their foot (size, width, stiffness, high end, low end, one 90's instead of vapors, stealth instead of synergy, stuff like that)?
It would depend on where the skater buys his skate. For instance here in town, I think most people go to Players Bench, and they do a pretty decent job size fitting guys.

I was recommended and fit for a CCM skate, but it just didn't feel as good or as right, as my Reeboks do.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote