HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

Closed Thread

Old
09-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
You did acknowledged improvement with Arnott and Kovalchuk at forward, Volchenkov and Tallinder on D and a much better backup this year. Right?
I admitted that they added Arnott, Volchenkov, Tallinder, and Hedberg, but I didn't say they improved.

Arnott was a smart signing and so was Hedberg. So there's a bit of improvement there, but not much. If Zubrus is moved then all they was swap Zubrus for Arnott and make a slight upgrade in goal. Not much to brag about.

Swapping Martin for Volchenkov and Tallinder is an improvement as far as depth is concerned, but a down-grade talent-wise. If Salvador ends up gone as well then that's a very clear down-grade.

Swapping Martin for Volchenkov and Tallinder means they don't have a number one d-man and arguably not even a true top pairing d-man.

There's no way in hell a team wins anything with not top pairing d-men on their team and that's just one of that team's issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojanglez View Post
Devils still have their top line intact (more or less, we'll likely see some line shuffling). I understand Langenbrunner is getting older, but he just keeps producing. A 60-point pace should be expected.
All true, but I've seen Devils' fans frustration with Langenbrunner last year. He's not exactly an ideal guy to rely on in your top six. Plus there's always the risk of regression with guys his age.

Quote:
Arnott gives us some center depth, and allows Elias to play wing. He adds a tremendous amount of balance. He adds to the team not by being a sole body, but being a good cog in our top6.
Once again, this is all fine and good, but you're still without a true number one center or good center depth. Look at the list of teams that win championships. One thing that most have in common is that they have good center depth and, at the very least, a number one d-man. There are probably exceptions to this rule, but generally you need those two things to compete. The Devils have neither.

Arnott is a good secondary scorer, but he's not someone that should be relied on in a role bigger then that or someone that can push the Devils over the hump.

Quote:
Elias is healthy this season. He had 2 surgeries (one minor) last summer. So this year he has the whole summer to workout. Kovalchuk will have all of the training camp + regular season to fit in, as opposed to 17 games.
Elias has been healthy for the playoffs (or at least been on the team) for a while now. Kovalchuk was there for the playoffs last year. Despite both of those facts, the Devils have three (IIRC) straight 1st round exits.

Being a top regular season team isn't a concern for the Devils. They always seem to manage to pull off a good regular season record despite whatever injuries occur (like Martin and Elias missing games last year), but they haven't proven that they have what it takes to be a playoff contender, or even get out of the 1st round, for several seasons now.

I'm not trying to compare the Devils to the Caps, but the Caps are undoubtedly a terrific regular season team, but people doubt whether or not they can translate that success to the playoffs.

Quote:
Philly just ate up our defense, and you hope a guy like Volchenkov can cut down on that.
I doubt it. Like Jester said, the issue was that the Devils couldn't move the puck due to the Flyers heavy forecheck and the fact that the Devils don't have any good puck-moving d-men. Volchenkov is a rock defensively, but he has no offensive game to speak of, so I doubt his addition is suddenly going to help the Devils deal with a heavy forecheck.

Maybe the new coach will do something about it though. Who knows?

Quote:
Tallinder is of a similar caliber as White / Salvador. Its a parallel signing (except he is here to mentor our young Swedish prospects). I'd like to keep Salvador, because he's the toughest of the 3, but he's also the more tradeable guy.
Which is the whole point. You have good defensive depth, but you have no top-pairing d-men (or at least no one who can anchor a top pairing) and no stand-out offensive talent. Tallinder and Volchenkov doesn't help to improve any of those problems.

Quote:
What I think the team hopes, is that Andy Greene maintains or improves upon his early production from last year (hence no signing a PMD or trading for Kaberle). We MIGHT have a cheap homegrown talent. He scored 37 points last year, but wound down at the end. With a full season under his belt, for the first time, and knowing what to expect... I think 40 points is quite attainable. And if he improves? Maybe 45-50. Lets not pretend that Greene is anything other than an Offensive Dman. But he can replace Martin's production.
It's just common sense that players will produce more points when they're relied on for scoring. Or, in other words, put into scoring roles. That means they get more chances to produce.

That's what happened to Greene. He wasn't relied on to produce offensively from the back-end because he's known to be good at it, but because Martin was hurt a lot and the Devils had nothing to little in the way of replacements offensively.

Despite the fact that Greene was relied on so heavily, he still didn't crack 40 points.

Case-in-point, just look at Greene's history. He's a 27 year-old who, prior to last season, had his best season offensively at 10 points in 59 games.

Just the fact that you have to rely on Greene to be your only point-producer on the back-end is a problem in itself.

Quote:
As for Brodeur aging... I'll admit I don't know if he has another playoff run in him. He was NOT bad against Philly. He gave up, IMO, one bad goal (also at a horrible time)... I believe it was game 4... and it was Carcillo's goal (i think it was a wrap around). The timing of that goal (in the game / series) was not good. But otherwise he battled and kept the team in the series.
Like I said, he seemed unimpressive last year. He seemed beatable, which is not a vibe he used to give off.

He wasn't weak in goal, but he wasn't special either. Whenever we faced him last year, regular season or the playoffs, he seemed pretty average to slightly above average.

Brodeur has been a massive part of the Devils' success in the past, so I think this is a bigger problem then most Devils fans will want o admit. I mean, how many years do you guys think he has in him? Three, max?

Quote:
This year's playoffs showed us that, you don't necessarily need stellar goaltending to go far in the playoffs. So even if Brodeur's play drops off a bit, we now have the guns and balance to more damage. Hopefully we just have more heart + endurance.
Olympic years tend to produce odd results in the playoffs so I don't like to use them as examples, but w/e.

Look at the teams that have made the SCF the last few years. What things do they have in common? Center depth, at least average goaltending, and (for the most part) a great defense that includes a number one d-man. The Devils lack two of the three.

Quote:
All in all, I think our fortunes rest on a healthy Volchenkov and a productive Andy Greene. Additionally, we better not lose Zajac for any reason because then our center depth is shot.
Do you consider yourselves a contender?

I think that the fact Volchenkov is your best d-man and Zajac is your best center are signs that you aren't a contender.

Doesn't help that a lot of your core is getting up there in age. Arnott, Langenbrunner, Elias, Brodeur, and Hedberg at up there in age.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:14 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post

Do you consider yourselves a contender?

I think that the fact Volchenkov is your best d-man and Zajac is your best center are signs that you aren't a contender.

Doesn't help that a lot of your core is getting up there in age. Arnott, Langenbrunner, Elias, Brodeur, and Hedberg at up there in age.
I read everything you said, but there would be a lot to comment on... and frankly it seems like I won't convince you, and you wouldn't convince me. This last question can summarize a lot.

Yes, we are a contender. I think Zajac is better than you give him credit. He's not a #1C in terms of production, but he is elsewhere. He's a Selke candidate, and was our best defensive forward the past 2 years (that includes with Parise each year, and Madden the year before). He's like a 1b. He'll likely never be the point producer, but you don't necessarily need that when you play with Parise. Back to back 60 + Point seasons. He seems to improve, he's also young. Based on last year, he only needs 3 more to crack 70 points. Quite possible with an improved powerplay.

People forget, our coaching sucked last year. I don't know if Mac will be better, but i do know that Adam Oates is an assistant coach now. Him, plus a gelled Kovalchuk, can mean an exceptional powerplay.

Neither Greene or Volchenkov are #1s, but they're both very good at what they do. Volcheckov will eat up minutes, allowing the other Dmen to play normal amounts (so long as he's healthy). Mike Mottau played WAY too much, because he had to. Greene soured out because, prior to last year, the most he had ever done was 59 games in a season. He was tired. He has the ability to improve, and can be a great asset on the back end. I admit its a gamble... but he could end up being a cheap, decent Puck-moving Dman. That's the risk they're taking here. Can't always buy the talent. And we couldn't retain Paul Martin... he didn't want to stay here. So this was by far the best we could do this year... and it makes me happy, to be honest.

Our "core" is not Arnott and not Hedberg (We JUST signed Hedberg. Why would you even include him?). Heck, i wouldn't really consider Langenbunner there. But he is the captain, so he counts for something. I'd say our core is Elias, Brodeur, Parise, White and Zajac. 2 oldies, 2 youngins.. and White. You'd have to include Kovalchuk in that core, as well, seeing how we have him for 15 years. He's only 27.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
They won division titles?
Does anyone care? Caps won a division title last year, too. They feeling good about their season?

Quote:
They are a very good consistent team. Always were. It's true, I also said that NJ Devils improved goaltending, D and forwards in this off season and as a Flyers fan I do not like what they did because they got better. I will not ignore it because we beat them last year playoffs.
They aren't really any better than the team we beat in the playoffs... probably a bit better defensively (Volchenkov) but a bit weaker offensively from the D to go along with that, and that matters. Perhaps Kovy being there from start to finish will be an improvement, but Arnott doesn't really scare me.

They haven't improved in goal... Brodeur is their starter. Doubt a backup is going to be carrying 'em come playoff time.

Quote:
You going to tell NJ Devils what championships are made of? I think they know it.
Not this group... some of their best players don't know what the 2nd round feels like.

Quote:
They are trying somehting else this season. They actually went and signed 4 UFAs and improved their team everywhere. Does not mean they will win SC and it does not mean 1st round exit either.
...not the first time they've signed UFAs. Been pretty ugly when they've gone that route the last few times, in fact.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
it will come out as sounding like an excuse, but its the truth... we have had bad matchups. We lost to Carolina, who went on to win the Cup. Then we lost to Ottawa (2nd round), who went on to the finals. We lost to the Rangers, who absolutely owned us that entire season (this was admittedly a bad series for the whole team, Brodeur included).
Then we lost to Carolina again, who ended the season on absurd high (like 9 out of 11 wins) and play well against us, with a goalie that always stomps us.

Then we lost to Philly, who owned us during the regular season and was a better match. Funny... we can beat Pittsburgh any day last year, and Pittsburgh can beat you... but we can't. Its just about matchups, NJ hasn't had too many good ones. The best matchup we had since the lockout was Tampa Bay, and we won that first round. I think we could have beaten Ottawa, but turns out they were better than I thought.
If "bad matchups" is your excuse for 6 playoffs over 7 years... you need to seriously consider looking in the mirror. Really good teams are a bad matchup for other teams, they don't ***** and moan about the matchups they get.

The conversation this offseason by many trying to dissuade some of the more delusional predictions and exaltations about the Flyers playoff run and future success based on that is that we were gloriously lucky in our matchups. That's because our goaltending situation is horrid.

You got pwned by a Flyer team running out Brian Boucher as their starting goalie... you need to think about that. Your weak defensive corps got schooled by Laviolette's forecheck... You need to think about that.

And, no, I don't think the Devs would have beat the Pens in the playoffs last year... regular season success against a team is not necessarily a predictor for postseason success when coaches can really tailor their game to attacking your weak points. Tough to do that in an 82 game schedule where you need to be ready for a different opponent every other night.

Old
09-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Arnott was a smart signing and so was Hedberg. So there's a bit of improvement there, but not much. If Zubrus is moved then all they was swap Zubrus for Arnott and make a slight upgrade in goal. Not much to brag about.
Thats cool and all, so how would you compare those minor NJ Devils changes to Flyers off season improvements.

By the way, you keep ignoring and I keep telling you.. Martin played only 22 something games for NJ last season. Obviously, Lou thinks Greene can step in and replace Martin, he already did replaced him! Devils did not drop one bit with out Martin. If anything, special teams slightly improved if we compare them to 08 and 07 as well as GA.

You also mentioned somewhere that you do not think Brodeur is top 5 goaltender anymore? Are you serious?

Last season Devils had problems scoring goals. So they kept Kovy and add Arnott and they may lose someone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Does anyone care? Caps won a division title last year, too. They feeling good about their season?
You did not ask me if they care. You've asked me what Devils won?
What did Flyers win? and if we did win something, who cares with exception of Flyers fans? See, it works both ways.

Quote:
They aren't really any better than the team we beat in the playoffs... probably a bit better defensively (Volchenkov) but a bit weaker offensively from the D to go along with that, and that matters. Perhaps Kovy being there from start to finish will be an improvement, but Arnott doesn't really scare me.
Are we that much better? Maybe, we are a little better in terms of O'Donnell and Mez (Mr. overrated/overpaid since he was traded to Tampa) and who knows about Gagne for Zherdev (I learned how to play D in KHL) swap. What will Leighton do with over 40 starts and what about Boucher with 20-30 starts? I feel like I am missing someone important that we added.

See, it also works both way.

Quote:
They haven't improved in goal... Brodeur is their starter. Doubt a backup is going to be carrying 'em come playoff time.
Of course not but I doubt Brodeur will play 75plus games and that may help in a long run.

I am not saying Devils are a better hockey club but come on now. There are a few teams in the conference that are just as good as the Flyers on paper or maybe even better. Depending on glasses you are wearing I guess?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-07-2010 at 02:48 PM.
Old
09-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Yes, we are a contender. I think Zajac is better than you give him credit. He's not a #1C in terms of production, but he is elsewhere. He's a Selke candidate, and was our best defensive forward the past 2 years (that includes with Parise each year, and Madden the year before). He's like a 1b. He'll likely never be the point producer, but you don't necessarily need that when you play with Parise. Back to back 60 + Point seasons. He seems to improve, he's also young. Based on last year, he only needs 3 more to crack 70 points. Quite possible with an improved powerplay.
A "1b" isn't going to cut it for a true contender. Look at every other contender out there. What other ones have a 70-point (at best) 1b as their primary center?

Philly has Richards and Carter. Pittsburgh has Malkin and Crosby. Washington has Backstrom. Vancouver has H. Sedin. Detroit has Datsyuk.

I just don't see how a 1b center that has yet to hit 70 points is good enough for a championship team.

Quote:
Neither Greene or Volchenkov are #1s, but they're both very good at what they do. Volcheckov will eat up minutes, allowing the other Dmen to play normal amounts (so long as he's healthy). Mike Mottau played WAY too much, because he had to. Greene soured out because, prior to last year, the most he had ever done was 59 games in a season. He was tired. He has the ability to improve, and can be a great asset on the back end. I admit its a gamble... but he could end up being a cheap, decent Puck-moving Dman. That's the risk they're taking here. Can't always buy the talent. And we couldn't retain Paul Martin... he didn't want to stay here. So this was by far the best we could do this year... and it makes me happy, to be honest.
Doesn't really matter if that's the best the Devils could do. Fact remains that the Devils don't have one player that's truly capable of anchoring a top pairing and your best offensive d-man is Greene, which is just sad frankly. Beyond him the collective offensive talent from the back-end is just pitiful.

Quote:
Our "core" is not Arnott and not Hedberg (We JUST signed Hedberg. Why would you even include him?). Heck, i wouldn't really consider Langenbunner there. But he is the captain, so he counts for something. I'd say our core is Elias, Brodeur, Parise, White and Zajac. 2 oldies, 2 youngins.. and White. You'd have to include Kovalchuk in that core, as well, seeing how we have him for 15 years. He's only 27.
I know what your core is and I didn't mean to say that Hedberg and Arnott are important pieces of your team.

I was just trying to point out that a lot of your team, some of them important pieces of your core, are getting up there in age.

Quote:
Thats cool and all, so how would you compare those minor NJ Devils changes to Flyers off season improvements.
I'm not sure what the Flyers have to do with this. This is about how good the Devils are and whether they're contenders or not.

Besides, our GM is Paul Holmgren. Theirs is Lou Lamiorello. It's kind of a given which GM will have the better off-season.

Quote:
By the way, you keep ignoring and I keep telling you.. Martin played only 22 something games for NJ last season.
What you keep telling me? You've only replied to me once.

Like I said before, the Devils are an elite team...in the regular season. They can cope with the loss of guys like Martin in the regular season because of the way they play. That's why most people just assume the Devils will make the playoffs ever year.

It's in the playoffs when their weaknesses really show themselves, that much is evident. Martin was healthy for the playoffs last year and it still wasn't good enough to make it out of the first round. Now they've replaced him with Volchenkov and Tallinder and they may still lose Salvador. I fail to see how that is an improvement.

Quote:
Obviously, Lou thinks Greene can step in replace Martin, he already did!
If you're calling Greene a number one d-man, then I don't know what to tell you there.

Like I said before, when players are relied upon to score, they produce more points then they normally would. That's what happened to Greene. He was the Devils primary (well, pretty much their only) offensive threat on the back-end and their only person capable of replacing Martin for any period of time.

The fact that the Devils best d-man is arguably Greene is a problem in of itself.

Quote:
Devils did not drop one bit with out Martin. If anything special teams slightly improved if we compare them to 08 and 07 as well as GA.
And yet they still failed in the playoffs. The part of the season that really matters.

Quote:
You also mentioned somewhere that you do not think Brodeur is top 5 goaltender anymore? Are you serious?
Definitely.

Old
09-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I'm not sure what the Flyers have to do with this. This is about how good the Devils are and whether they're contenders or not.
Lets make it interesting.
Quote:
Besides, our GM is Paul Holmgren. Theirs is Lou Lamiorello. It's kind of a given which GM will have the better off-season.
lol
Quote:
It's in the playoffs when their weaknesses really show themselves, that much is evident. Martin was healthy for the playoffs last year and it still wasn't good enough to make it out of the first round. Now they've replaced him with Volchenkov and Tallinder and they may still lose Salvador. I fail to see how that is an improvement.
Our weakness also shows.

By the way Martin was NJ Devil for how long? and Devils could not win with him in teh line up. So now that he is out it's a big deal?
Quote:
If you're calling Greene a number one d-man, then I don't know what to tell you there.
I am not calling him number one, Lou thinks NJ Devils can replace Martin with Volchenkov, Tallinder and improving Greene and he may have a point?
Quote:
Like I said before, when players are relied upon to score, they produce more points then they normally would. That's what happened to Greene. He was the Devils primary (well, pretty much their only) offensive threat on the back-end and their only person capable of replacing Martin for any period of time.
Devils known for doing just that. Just when you think they will **** up and won't make it someone else steps up and does the job and does it very well.. What can I tell you?
Quote:
The fact that the Devils best d-man is arguably Greene is a problem in of itself.
Luo doesn't seem to think so with Tallinder, Volchenkov, Salvador, White, Greene and whoever elese they have he is comfortable. Just liek Holmgren is comfy with Boucher and Leighton in the net.
Quote:
Definitely.
Why don't you think Brodeur is no longer top 5? He was nominated Vezina last season. Could it be because Flyers beat Devils in 1st round?

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-07-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old
09-07-2010, 03:13 PM
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
If "bad matchups" is your excuse for 6 playoffs over 7 years... you need to seriously consider looking in the mirror. Really good teams are a bad matchup for other teams, they don't ***** and moan about the matchups they get.

The conversation this offseason by many trying to dissuade some of the more delusional predictions and exaltations about the Flyers playoff run and future success based on that is that we were gloriously lucky in our matchups. That's because our goaltending situation is horrid.

You got pwned by a Flyer team running out Brian Boucher as their starting goalie... you need to think about that. Your weak defensive corps got schooled by Laviolette's forecheck... You need to think about that.

And, no, I don't think the Devs would have beat the Pens in the playoffs last year... regular season success against a team is not necessarily a predictor for postseason success when coaches can really tailor their game to attacking your weak points. Tough to do that in an 82 game schedule where you need to be ready for a different opponent every other night.
I'm talking about 4 bad matchups (Carolina 2x, The Rangers and Philly). Not 6. I don't even think of Carolina (the first time) as a bad matchup... I'm just saying, they went on to win the Cup. How can we be blamed for losing to them? Ward was a wall that year, it happens. He was phenomenal against us last year as well. Yes, true champions rise above. That doesn't make us a bad team. The same with Ottawa. They were good enough to make it to the finals, so they were just that much better than us. Doesn't mean the Devils didn't "have it" - just not enough of it.

But there is a common theme (bad matchups). Carolina plays us well... the Rangers owned us that season, as did Philly last year. We don't matchup well against these teams.

Boucher, in my opinion, was really not that good against us. He really didn't have that many difficult saves. Your defense beat us. We didn't get quality shots because Pronger was a monster, Coburn got the sand out of his vagina, and Timmonen returned back to form. Boucher was adequate, but your defense is what won that series. There is nothing to think about

As for Laviolette's forcheck... think about the common denominator with him, and the first time Carolina beat us. And what does it matter? Your team is FILLED with quality, gritty, game-up forwards. The Flyers had the greatest forward depth out of any team last year. Combine that with our weak, can barely move anyone out of the crease defense, it makes sense.

Last edited by Mr Bojanglez: 09-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old
09-10-2010, 01:16 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...ust-say-what-i

Read and listen carefully.

Old
09-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I wouldn't read too much into that. He has one year left on his deal and at this point in time he probably doesn't expect an extension, at least not now.

That doesn't mean anything. He's just stating a fact that, right now, Tampa's only guaranteed one season of him. That's all that means.

Old
09-10-2010, 02:13 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into that. He has one year left on his deal and at this point in time he probably doesn't expect an extension, at least not now.

That doesn't mean anything. He's just stating a fact that, right now, Tampa's only guaranteed one season of him. That's all that means.
Yeah, I agree I thought part of the reason he went to Tampa was because he thought they'd be willing to have him for more than one year.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 09-10-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old
09-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Don't tease me.

Old
09-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

He's a on a one year deal, why would he say anything differently right now? He is signed up to be here in Tampa for 1 season currently.

Reading too much into it.

Old
09-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Phillips View Post
He's a on a one year deal, why would he say anything differently right now? He is signed up to be here in Tampa for 1 season currently.

Reading too much into it.
No one's getting their hopes up, and no one's reading too into it. It's a curious way to state it, with a curious emphasis.

Simon's not the most apt speaker in the world, either. But it is certainly interesting.

Old
09-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Gagne is #12 for Tampa. Malone switched to #6.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Nice. I saw he got twelve, I couldn't tell who changed theirs though. That's super cool of Malone...I guess he's sweat out all the unenviable Pittsburgh qualities in the Tampa sun

Old
09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
because he's half the player gagne is

Old
09-13-2010, 07:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2010/9/1...acketh-down-on

Quote:
According to Tom Gulitti, the Devils have just received punishment for their actions for the Ilya Kovalchuk deal Cap circumvention in the First contract with Ilya Kovalchuk. The Devils will be fined upwards of $3 million, and will be stripped of a 1st round draft pick, as well as a 3rd round draft pick from the 2011 draft (the upcoming draft).

The Fine of $3 million dollars will not affect the Devils cap space at all, which is huge because dumping nearly $6 million of salary would be really tough. All the fined money goes to charity, so it's not like this money was going somewhere bad. As for the First rounder, it will be one in the next four years, and the Devils can choose which 1st rounder they're going to surrender. I think this might be in the favour of the Devils, as if they were to be stripped of the 2011 1st rounder, they would have no draft picks until the fourth round, as the 3rd rounder is being stripped and the Devils and the Devils traded their 2nd rounder to Nashville in the Jason Arnott trade. Also, because they can choose which first rounder will be stripped, they can sacrifice a really late 1st rounder (like 26-30th overall) instead of sacrificing a higher pick if things don't go well this year. So basically for 15 (and a quarter) years of Kovy's service, the Devils gave up 2 first rounders, a 3rd rounder, Niclas Bergfors, Johnny Oduya, Patrice Cormier and possibly more for Ilya Kovalchuk.

Old
09-13-2010, 08:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1347
Quote:
OTTAWA — The Ottawa Senators are expected to be awarded the 2012 National Hockey League all-star game during a news conference Wednesday.

The NHL and Senators released a statement Monday saying a “major announcement” will be made when league commissioner Gary Bettman meets with Senators owner Eugene Melnyk and team president Cyril Leeder at the Chateau Laurier hotel in downtown Ottawa.

The all-star weekend of festivities, scheduled from Jan. 26-29, 2012, will also include a Young Stars game featuring the league’s top prospects, along with a skills competition.

The Senators have been after the league’s annual showcase game for some time, but their efforts were hampered in the past by a lack of convention space. That issue will be solved when the city’s new downtown convention centre opens in the spring.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...#ixzz0zSjyc3G9

Old
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
I tend to agree with Jester, though not for the same reasons.

I think the Devils are not built to be a post-lockout SC contender. My reason for thinking is that they waste too much of their cap on goaltending.

Goaltending is not the path to success in the post-lockout NHL. This past season is evidence for this. If you want to win the Cup, you need to have a lot of scoring and defensive depth. You need to have 7-8 top 6 type forwards, and 4-5 top 3 type defenseman. You just need a goalie that is competant, not dominant. Spending $6M+ on a goalie is a misallocation of cap space, and will result in not being able to compete with the deeper teams in the postseason.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:28 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Combine all the stuff lost for the sake of Kovalchuk with the stuff they lost for Arnott (Halischuck and a 2nd) and the Devils youth is gonna take a serious hit over the next few years. Combine that with two of Brodeur, Elias, and Langenbrunner likely retiring in the next three seasons and they're going to be in quite the transition stage.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
mm6492

Cost of Kovalchuk:
Bergfors
Oduya
Cormier
1st round pick
1st round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
Lifetime 100+ MILLION DOLLAR contract
3 Million Dollar Fine

Old
09-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
wow, that makes briere's contract look fine and good.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:48 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
Cost of Kovalchuk:
Bergfors
Oduya
Cormier
1st round pick
1st round pick
2nd round pick
3rd round pick
Lifetime 100+ MILLION DOLLAR contract
3 Million Dollar Fine
That list reminds me of:

Peter Forsberg,
Ron Hextall
Chris Simon
Mike Ricci
Kerry Huffman
Steve Duchesne
2 1st round picks
$15,000,000 cash

Old
09-14-2010, 07:16 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
That list reminds me of:

Peter Forsberg,
Ron Hextall
Chris Simon
Mike Ricci
Kerry Huffman
Steve Duchesne
2 1st round picks
$15,000,000 cash
Was it Ricci or Recchi?

Edit: Nope, you were right, it was Ricci. Recchi was traded in the Desjardens/LeClair trade. I always mix the two up.

Closed Thread