HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Idle Speculation: Rangers and Oilers talking blockbuster trade?

Old
09-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
"Rangers to acquire Cogliano and perhaps Souray from the Oilers in exchange for Redden, Dubinsky and a defensive prospect."

Good lord. I think I'd almost do this deal.
Terrible deal for the Rangers.

Sorry, but thew infatuation with trading Dubi just blows my mind. For Cogs? No way, becuase that's essentially what that deal is doing. Souray has zero value right now just like Redden. No reason to trade one of the best assets this club has for a weaker return in Cogs.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:33 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post

Sorry, but thew infatuation with trading Dubi just blows my mind. For Cogs? No way, becuase that's essentially what that deal is doing. Souray has zero value right now just like Redden. No reason to trade one of the best assets this club has for a weaker return in Cogs.
I don't trade Dubi for Cogliano, but he's hardly untouchable, IMO.

09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
lbrowne

Quote:

I agree. As one of my favourite current Rangers, Dubinsky is not untouchable but I wouldbe very upset if that trade or something similar went down.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Melrose_Jr.

After Staal signs, I can't see a scenario where you're able keep Redden on the roster even if you wanted to.

The Cogs/Souray combo comes in around $2M less than Redden/Dubinsky, so theoretically, you could piece together a lineup that retains Souray if you were so inclined.

Not sure what's in it for Edmonton, unless the unnamed defensive prospect is someone none of us want to give up. For the Rangers, you'd want to consider how Souray's shorter contract helps you in the long run and whether Dubinsky is worth that kind of cap flexibility.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
If Dubinsky can get Redden out of here and we get a player back to replace him I do that deal.

Cogs NHL numbers: 246GP 46G 65A 111PTS
Duby NHL numbers: 239GP 47G 78A 125PTS

Yeah I can see how the Rangers get hosed there.

Souray for Redden is a win for the Rangers. Redden isn't 1 season removed from a 20 goal year and doesn't have a scary slap shot from the point either. I would do this deal.

We upgrade Redden and get fair value for Duninsky. Whats wrong with this?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
After Staal signs, I can't see a scenario where you're able keep Redden on the roster even if you wanted to.

The Cogs/Souray combo comes in around $2M less than Redden/Dubinsky, so theoretically, you could piece together a lineup that retains Souray if you were so inclined.

Not sure what's in it for Edmonton, unless the unnamed defensive prospect is someone none of us want to give up. For the Rangers, you'd want to consider how Souray's shorter contract helps you in the long run and whether Dubinsky is worth that kind of cap flexibility.
I hope the unnamed defensive prospect is Sauer, that kid will never play for the Rangers. Lets get something for him.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Riche16
McCready guitar god

I don't see how this helps either team that much...

Redden won't be here this yr. and yes we do have to deal with his cap every summer, but the writing is on the wall for him. Dubi is still an unknown quantity... with a healthy season this yr. we'll know more about what he is after this season than we do now.

I guess if Sather has his eye on a UFA next yr I could see him making this deal but right now?

I just don't get it. All it seems is a way to rid ourselves of Redden (who's not going to be an issue until next June anyway), in exchange for another bad (and at this point injury prone) d-man with an attitude problem.

Not to mention a "d prospect" that we don't know.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:29 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I hope the unnamed defensive prospect is Sauer, that kid will never play for the Rangers. Lets get something for him.
I'd guess that's not going to be enough unless they REALLY like Dubinsky. Like you, I think Cogliano has similar value considering he's half of Dubi's price.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I'd guess that's not going to be enough unless they REALLY like Dubinsky. Like you, I think Cogliano has similar value considering he's half of Dubi's price.
The distinction between 900k and 1.85 mil is not the same at 4 mil vs 8 mil, though, and I know thats stating the obvious but Dubinsky has progressed each year with us, while Cogliano has been regressing.

With Redden a minors option I really hope this deal does not go down.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:36 AM
HockeyBurd*

In a couple years this is going to seem like one of the dumbest threads this forum has had.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Remember, this is Eklund we're talking about here. I doubt this sort of deal goes down. It just doesn't make sense with our option to bury Redden.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:10 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Penner or nobody!

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't trade Dubi for Cogliano, but he's hardly untouchable, IMO.

Nobody is untouchable, I fully understand that. But...In Dubi we have a guy who is still young. A guy who is a tremendous asseet. A guy who came up through the system. A guy who is affordable, and most importantly, a guy who plays hard night in night out. If i'm GM for a day a Brandon Dubinsky is among the last on my list of tradeable pieces.

Old
09-14-2010, 12:40 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
If Dubinsky can get Redden out of here and we get a player back to replace him I do that deal.

Cogs NHL numbers: 246GP 46G 65A 111PTS
Duby NHL numbers: 239GP 47G 78A 125PTS

Yeah I can see how the Rangers get hosed there.

Souray for Redden is a win for the Rangers. Redden isn't 1 season removed from a 20 goal year and doesn't have a scary slap shot from the point either. I would do this deal.

We upgrade Redden and get fair value for Duninsky. Whats wrong with this?
That's the exact argument I was trying to make that you made better. I like Dubinsky as much as anyone, but I want to see the Rangers improve and this deal would do that.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
That's the exact argument I was trying to make that you made better. I like Dubinsky as much as anyone, but I want to see the Rangers improve and this deal would do that.
I like Dubi and all...don't really wanna see him go...but he has been playing with the likes of Jagr and Gaborik...who has Cogliano played with? They have the same numbers. Can't really say Dubi is a better player.

Again...don't wanna see Dubi go...but gotta be realistic about him...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:05 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Dumping Dubi for the sake of getting rid of Redden is just stupid. This rumor is just stupid.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:10 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Dumping Dubi for the sake of getting rid of Redden is just stupid. This rumor is just stupid.
No one said to do that. The trade is Souray + Cogs for Redden + Dubinsky + D prospect. How is that dumping him?

Souray is better than Redden and Cogs can be just as good as Dubinsky. We save cap space. Oilers get rid of Souray. It all seems to fit.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
No one said to do that. The trade is Souray + Cogs for Redden + Dubinsky + D prospect. How is that dumping him?

Souray is better than Redden and Cogs can be just as good as Dubinsky. We save cap space. Oilers get rid of Souray. It all seems to fit.
It's terrible, and it doesn't fit.

All it does is gets rid of a hard competitor who is already proven in NY only to add a guy who probably play third line minutes, and a Demn on the decline who are both completely UNPROVEN in NY. NY is a tough place to play. Far too many distractions here for athletes. When you have one that comes up through the system and is proven, why would you dump him just to sweeten the pot to get rid of a guy who came in here with high expectations and failed miserably...especially for a return of a guy who may also fail miserably!

Dump Reds in the AHL and let the brass come down on Slats to never make that mistake again. Don't take it out on the guy who has done right by putting in the effort night in night out.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

If it's real, and these two clubs are really talking then the Rangers should give up a prospect and or a pick plus Reds in exchange for Souray.

Maybe Bourque, or A 3rd rounder. Even a 2nd if it meant Redden was gone.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Radek27

Quote:
It's terrible, and it doesn't fit.

All it does is gets rid of a hard competitor who is already proven in NY only to add a guy who probably play third line minutes, and a Demn on the decline who are both completely UNPROVEN in NY. NY is a tough place to play. Far too many distractions here for athletes. When you have one that comes up through the system and is proven, why would you dump him just to sweeten the pot to get rid of a guy who came in here with high expectations and failed miserably...especially for a return of a guy who may also fail miserably!

Dump Reds in the AHL and let the brass come down on Slats to never make that mistake again. Don't take it out on the guy who has done right by putting in the effort night in night out.
You realize how many more years are on Reddens contract? It's not pretty man. How many chances to you think your gonna get to trade him where the Rangers actually get good value in return? Souray would give us a weapon we haven't had in a long long time. I realize the source on this rumor but with the TSN article about Souray yesterday not being welcomed at camp and the Rangers looking for anyone to take Redden..... I don't know I think this Eklund might have something this time.

Old
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I like Dubi and all...don't really wanna see him go...but he has been playing with the likes of Jagr and Gaborik...who has Cogliano played with? They have the same numbers. Can't really say Dubi is a better player.

Again...don't wanna see Dubi go...but gotta be realistic about him...
Dubi is easily the better player right now. He's bigger, more physical and better defensively. He's one of our best at puck possession and battling in the corners.

Who has Cogliano played with? A bunch of nobodies last year, because he was relegated to 3rd line duty. He played less than a minute per game on the PP and the PK. You'd think he'd be able to earn more ice time on the worst team in the league, particularly with Hemsky out for most of the year. His point totals have gone down every year.

Are you honestly saying that you think Dubi for Cogs is an even swap?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:05 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Dubi is easily the better player right now. He's bigger, more physical and better defensively. He's one of our best at puck possession and battling in the corners.

Who has Cogliano played with? A bunch of nobodies last year, because he was relegated to 3rd line duty. He played less than a minute per game on the PP and the PK. You'd think he'd be able to earn more ice time on the worst team in the league, particularly with Hemsky out for most of the year. His point totals have gone down every year.

Are you honestly saying that you think Dubi for Cogs is an even swap?
No but it's not as far off as your making it out to be. Dubinsky has had a long time to take a hold of that 1st/2nd line C position and I hear he's coming in as LW. And your point about Cogs on the Oilers can be said about Duby on the Rangers. Does being a 40 point player even make you a top six player anymore? I dunno but that is what Dubinsky is.

I mean damn if Duby is so great why couldn't he take advantage when Drury's game went to **** last year? Why coudln't be do more with Gaborik than Christensen? He's LW now why don't I see him slated for the top line LW instead of Prospal?

You do realize the Rangers get the better end of a Redden for Souray deal right? So why shouldn't the Oilers get a bit more on the other side?

Old
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
You do realize the Rangers get the better end of a Redden for Souray deal right? So why shouldn't the Oilers get a bit more on the other side?
How is it the better end? We like Dubinsky over Cogliano and Souray is coming off a broken hand and concussion??? At this point if I had to pick, I'd rather have Redden in the defensive zone over Souray who was never considered good defensively to begin with...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:21 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Does being a 40 point player even make you a top six player anymore? I dunno but that is what Dubinsky is.
Dubinsky had 44 points in 69 games last year. Average it out over 82 and that's 52 points. Cogliano had 28 points in 82 games last year. Dubinsky had 20 goals to Cogs' 10, while playing 13 less games.

Quote:
You're assuming that:

a) Souray is healthy
b) Souray will still be the same player he was before the injury
c) Souray won't get hurt again

Given that he's 34 years old and he's missed major parts of the season in 2 of the last 3 years due to injury, I'm not inclined to roll the dice on him, at least not at the expense of Dubinsky. I don't care that we are getting Cogliano back. He sucks.

And again, you're ignoring the "defensive prospect" part of the rumor. Unless it's Sauer or someone less promising, I'm not interested.

Last edited by GAGLine: 09-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:22 PM
eco's bones

Simplest and best thing to do is just send Redden to Hartford or some other AHL team. We don't need Souray who has issues with his team and has never been more than mediocre in his own end. I'd much rather have Dubinsky than Cogliano.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote