HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do you play year round?

Old
09-14-2010, 12:35 PM
bluenote

vCash: 500
Do you play year round?

I started playing ice hockey 5 years ago, and have always played summer and winter. This year however, I took the summer off. I have to tell you, I'm pretty pumped to be hitting the ice this week after taking the summer off!! I think I may continue to take the summer off from ice hockey. It builds anticipation for the coming season, and makes you miss hockey a little bit. It's a nice break. Plus, it feels weird to play ice hockey when it's 30 degrees outside.

Do you play all year? If not, any reason why you don't?

bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:38 PM
frito

I actually tend to play more in the summer than in the winter. The reason is I coach both my daughters' teams and often find myself too busy during the traditional hockey season to play myself. I'll tell you, there's nothing better than walking into a rink when it's 95 and miserable outside.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:43 PM
ponder

I often play year round, cause it's a great sport and I'd rather not take a long break

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Devil Dancer

I've been playing year-round for a couple of years so far. For the most part I love it, but since I'm on two teams and I play a little pickup, it's starting to wear my body down a bit. I have minor chronic pain in a knee and an ankle. It hasn't affected my game though.

Another problem is I'm usually better the more I play, so I'm worried that taking more than a week off would really hurt my game.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

yes and i like playing atleast twice a week thought it doesnt happen alot especially inbetween seasons

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I took this summer off to get in better shape...which I didn't really accomplish too much. I put on a few pounds of muscle and lost a few pounds of fat, not as much as I would have liked.

But I am excited to start up the preseason tourney this weekend! And a little anxious because I don't feel in game shape, but what can you do.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:01 PM
PuckHogs29

I don't play much in the summer. Once or twice a month when I feel like it. Otherwise I get burned out and get sick of it.

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:32 PM
densetsu

I usually have a few weeks off in the spring, and a few weeks off in late summer -- the transition from winter to summer hockey, and vice-versa. And a week break at Christmas. Other than that, it's year-round.

This year, though, we had a six week break between summer and winter -- summer ended in the beginning of August, winter season starts tonight. I still subbed and played drop-in hockey a few times, but god damn, that was a long six weeks.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Wease

I've played year round for many, many years. I can't get enough hockey. But when I say "play", I'm referring mostly to Drop In's. I do play in a league now, but not over the summer. Fall / Winter / Spring I play once a week in a league, and twice a week in a Drop In. Summer is harder to find a good Drop In with enough players, so that probably ends up being about once a week.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Badger36

I usually take a couple months off in the summer, otherwise Id get burnt out on hockey.
As much as I love hockey, its nice to take a couple months and just not think about or play hockey and spend time fishing or playing golf instead.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 03:36 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

My season is from October-March. Normally get 2-3 weeks off, then do spring hockey which ends at the end of June. Start hitting the ice again to get in shape late July/ early August. Try to go atleast twice a week from that point on.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Sept-March I play 3-4 times a week. April-August I play 3-4 times per month.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Been playing on 3 teams, all year round, for about 3 years.

This winter i'm not playing on one of the teams since I need to save a bit of money.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
metric

I play ice in winter, roller in summer. If it was up to me it'd be ice all year but team prefers roller in summer. I really need to find another team to play in summer.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:00 PM
bosshogg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
I started playing ice hockey 5 years ago, and have always played summer and winter. This year however, I took the summer off. I have to tell you, I'm pretty pumped to be hitting the ice this week after taking the summer off!! I think I may continue to take the summer off from ice hockey. It builds anticipation for the coming season, and makes you miss hockey a little bit. It's a nice break. Plus, it feels weird to play ice hockey when it's 30 degrees outside.

Do you play all year? If not, any reason why you don't?
Feels weird to play hockey when it is 30 degrees outside? Funny since water freezes at 32, unless you are talking celsius, which I am hoping.
I also like to take the summer off and do some outdoor sports. Like you mentioned, I get pumped up when that first game hit in the fall.

bosshogg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Areid1990

vCash: 50
I only play in the Winter on our door rinks. After this Winter I plan on going year round, as I will have the $$$ and the skillz hopefully.

Areid1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
noobman

For a while, yes. In fact, there would only be two months of the year when I wasn't playing weekly.

In 2008 I took the summer off to focus on my running, but skated every weekend. This past summer I didn't get to play a lot because of some nagging knee issues, but I was on the ice at least twice a month. I'm not one of those people who can stop playing in April and not even touch the ice until September or October.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
Noir

I play year round; and used to be 3 to 5 times a week at that by playing for 2 beer league teams and a drop in. (Although it's slowed down to 1 or 2 a week when money got tight).

And I'd go more as much as I can go until my body gives out.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:25 AM
Frankie Spankie

I have been playing year round since I first joined a league about 3.5 years ago and hope to never stop, I love hockey too much to take any form of break, no matter how much anticipation it builds up.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:05 AM
Noir

Another factor too that I forgot to mention is that that hockey isn't a weather dependent sport unlike the many other sport people like to play in soccer, baseball, football and at least park basketball.

It could be hot as hell or cold as hell, dry or wet outside and it don't matter. If you've got a weekly game or weekly drop in group, you can have consistency with your hobby. So that's why I play year-round because it's one of the few hobbies I have the ability to be consistent with.

There's nothing more worse than having an itch to play a game (me: park basketball, paintball or go snowboarding) and to not be able to satisfy that itch that day due to weather.

Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:23 AM
vivianmb

this is the first summer in AT LEAST 20 years that i didn't play.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
I played 3 or 4 years straight (winter through summer) until the start of last summer.
Got to be to time consuming with having little children.
So I just skate during the winter at the local rink

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:16 AM
bluenote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
Feels weird to play hockey when it is 30 degrees outside? Funny since water freezes at 32, unless you are talking celsius, which I am hoping.
I also like to take the summer off and do some outdoor sports. Like you mentioned, I get pumped up when that first game hit in the fall.

Yes, I'm talking celcius.

bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote