HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-14-2010, 01:52 PM
  #576
xxxZENxxx
Registered User
 
xxxZENxxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Steve Zipay is saying that Staal's previously empty locker now has shoulder pads and a sweatsuit in it. The guy on twitter is probably taking that and saying that the deal is done... just so that he can say he was the first to say it.

xxxZENxxx is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 01:57 PM
  #577
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
I just want this done already. I really don't want this spilling into camp like Duby last year.

Radek27 is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 02:08 PM
  #578
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
I gotta think he's got a 6-8 year deal on the table now. 4 years is just too short when a 2 year deal keeps him as a RFA. He's got no arbitration rights so I'd offer him 3 deals and let him pick.
Option 1) 1 year at 2
Option 2) 2 years at 2 and 2.5
Option 3) 8 years at 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 5, 5, 6
There's no way Staal would take #3. That only averages out to 4.375 per year. It will take more than that to get him to give up 4 UFA years.

I think a 6 year deal is more realistic, somewhere in the vicinity of 4.5 - 4.75 per year.

3, 3.75, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 = 4.625 per year

GAGLine is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 02:13 PM
  #579
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
There's no way Staal would take #3. That only averages out to 4.375 per year. It will take more than that to get him to give up 4 UFA years.

I think a 6 year deal is more realistic, somewhere in the vicinity of 4.5 - 4.75 per year.

3, 3.75, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6 = 4.625 per year
I like that. Make space for him now by moving Redden to Hartford. It has to happen anyhow. In two years Drury's and possibly Rozsival are off the payroll and his salary starts rising above his cap hit in seasons 4, 5 and 6.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 02:16 PM
  #580
WhiskeyYourTheDevils
Registered User
 
WhiskeyYourTheDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Raleigh, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 8,701
vCash: 500
guys guys guys . . lets just do Rolston for Staal. We'll even do it straight up. Your welcome.



(sorry, I forgot, the main board was the place for these proposals)

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
  #581
we want cup
We do not Sow
 
we want cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 10,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
guys guys guys . . lets just do Rolston for Staal. We'll even do it straight up. Your welcome.



(sorry, I forgot, the main board was the place for these proposals)
Oh come now, it would take at LEAST Rolston and a 2nd rounder.

__________________

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 02:27 PM
  #582
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
guys guys guys . . lets just do Rolston for Staal. We'll even do it straight up. Your welcome.



(sorry, I forgot, the main board was the place for these proposals)
We'll take your 2011 3rd round pick for Staal. Oh wait.

Balej20* is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:13 PM
  #583
Doyle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Owner of NHLHS here, big Ranger fan.

Our writer claimed to have a source, we didn't run with it. A highly reputable source claimed he was right so we published. Take it for what you will, it seems done in my book. Official announcement expected today or tomorrow.

Not a fan of people Eklund-ing especially on my site. If I thought it was false it would not be up. We have much better things to do than try to get cheap traffic with false rumors.

Doyle is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:16 PM
  #584
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,033
vCash: 500
I tend to think that if it was absolutely done, it'd be announced by now, but I can certainly believe that things are very close and a lot of sources know that it's about to happen

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:19 PM
  #585
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
My guess is something like 4.5-5 million over 6 years

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:26 PM
  #586
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
My guess is something like 4.5-5 million over 6 years
I would hope it's for 6 years at the 4.5 million mark, but i have a feeling Sather has a number and won't budge. I see a deal for 4 to 4.3 average for 5 years, Sather not being able to buy another year off UFA cause he is stingy.

Janerixon is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:31 PM
  #587
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 23,801
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Finally some good news? can it be?

FromTheSide is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:35 PM
  #588
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
4.5 per would not be a very smart deal considering Staal was a RFA with no arbitration rights. I am a huge Staal fan but look around the league and see what elite "Defensive" D-Men are paid. Even when they hit UFA. The market is very different for elite offensive d-men compared to elite defensive d-men.

TomLaidlaw is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:37 PM
  #589
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
4.5 per would not be a very smart deal considering Staal was a RFA with no arbitration rights. I am a huge Staal fan but look around the league and see what elite "Defensive" D-Men are paid. Even when they hit UFA. The market is very different for elite offensive d-men compared to elite defensive d-men.
You are right, but you have to pay to get those years of unrestricted free agency. I just don't see Sather giving Staal 4.5 million a year, but he has to be paid more than Girardi, so i say 4 to 4.3 tops average over 5 years.

Also staal's offensive game was starting to come together at the end of the season, if he continues to improve that could be a very good deal come season 5 or 6 of the deal if it goes that long.

Janerixon is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:42 PM
  #590
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,033
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
4.5 per would not be a very smart deal considering Staal was a RFA with no arbitration rights. I am a huge Staal fan but look around the league and see what elite "Defensive" D-Men are paid. Even when they hit UFA. The market is very different for elite offensive d-men compared to elite defensive d-men.
For a one or two year deal, yeah that'd be too much.

If you're going for a long term deal, though, you're not going to have the option of keeping the price super low and still getting 5+ years out of it.

You want to lock Staal up, you're going to have to at least pay him more than Girardi, even if he doesn't have the arbitration rights Girardi did

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:47 PM
  #591
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
Owner of NHLHS here, big Ranger fan.

Our writer claimed to have a source, we didn't run with it. A highly reputable source claimed he was right so we published. Take it for what you will, it seems done in my book. Official announcement expected today or tomorrow.

Not a fan of people Eklund-ing especially on my site. If I thought it was false it would not be up. We have much better things to do than try to get cheap traffic with false rumors.
Thanks for the update.

Its nice to hear that too...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:50 PM
  #592
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard
 
Wraparounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
If we want to lock Staal up for any considerable length, we have to pay him. And believe me, it will be well worth it. Give him 4.75 for 6 years if he wants it.

Wraparounds is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 03:51 PM
  #593
GaborikEqualsGod1995*
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 6,766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
I'm about to create a twitter account so I can be considered a source.
I actually plan on doing this. I wanna see how gullible people are.

GaborikEqualsGod1995* is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:08 PM
  #594
TomLaidlaw
Registered User
 
TomLaidlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Transylvania
Country: Romania
Posts: 3,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
You are right, but you have to pay to get those years of unrestricted free agency. I just don't see Sather giving Staal 4.5 million a year, but he has to be paid more than Girardi, so i say 4 to 4.3 tops average over 5 years.

Also staal's offensive game was starting to come together at the end of the season, if he continues to improve that could be a very good deal come season 5 or 6 of the deal if it goes that long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
For a one or two year deal, yeah that'd be too much.

If you're going for a long term deal, though, you're not going to have the option of keeping the price super low and still getting 5+ years out of it.

You want to lock Staal up, you're going to have to at least pay him more than Girardi, even if he doesn't have the arbitration rights Girardi did
I agree philosophically with what both of you are saying. I think it is a smart move to pay a bit of a premium now to get Staal locked up long term. As Erixon said, buying UFA years is expensive. If Staals offensive game develops then 4.5mill will be a terrific bargain.

Girardi is a bit of a different animal because he was on his 3rd contract. He had signed his 2nd contract for 2 years 1.4 per. Staal is signing his 2nd right now and doesn't have arbitration rights. So it isn't an apples to apples comparison. However, he should still be paid more than Girardi because he is a superior player so that is all moot.

Look at the contract Volchenkov signed as a UFA this summer. 4.25 cap hit. Defensive D-Man. He was a UFA and only got 4.25 on the open market. I am fine with Staal getting 4.5 because in the end he is a lot more important to us than he would be to other teams. I just wouldn't view it as a terrific bargain.

TomLaidlaw is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:12 PM
  #595
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,033
vCash: 500
My point was mainly that the Rangers seem to be taking a different direction than what they did with Girardi and skip that intermediate contract between the entry level and arbitration eligible. To do so, they're going to have to pay more than they normally would in a situation where a player doesn't have much leverage in negotiations.

Basically when you're talking about a long term contract, whether or not someone is arbitration eligible becomes irrelevant.

edit: I honestly think Staal is overall as good as Volchenkov now and could be better

Levitate is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:16 PM
  #596
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Thanks for the update.

Its nice to hear that too...
Yep, same here.



Can't wait to hear the terms myself.

t3hg00se is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:19 PM
  #597
LangenbrunnersDevils
 
LangenbrunnersDevils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
I found some more info on Marc Staal here http://www.sportshaze.com/nhl-buzz-t...vils-and-more/

LangenbrunnersDevils is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:23 PM
  #598
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
My point was mainly that the Rangers seem to be taking a different direction than what they did with Girardi and skip that intermediate contract between the entry level and arbitration eligible. To do so, they're going to have to pay more than they normally would in a situation where a player doesn't have much leverage in negotiations.

Basically when you're talking about a long term contract, whether or not someone is arbitration eligible becomes irrelevant.

edit: I honestly think Staal is overall as good as Volchenkov now and could be better
I agree. If he's not better then he's not far off. He's also younger and at least has an offensive aspect to his game that is developing. Volchenkov is strictly a defensive d-man

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
  #599
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,767
vCash: 500
Zipay says his (Staal's) previously empter locker now has a track suit and shoulder pads in it. I think it's a done deal, too. I'd like to hear the terms - hopefully it's for 6 years.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
09-14-2010, 05:06 PM
  #600
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomLaidlaw View Post
I agree philosophically with what both of you are saying. I think it is a smart move to pay a bit of a premium now to get Staal locked up long term. As Erixon said, buying UFA years is expensive. If Staals offensive game develops then 4.5mill will be a terrific bargain.

Girardi is a bit of a different animal because he was on his 3rd contract. He had signed his 2nd contract for 2 years 1.4 per. Staal is signing his 2nd right now and doesn't have arbitration rights. So it isn't an apples to apples comparison. However, he should still be paid more than Girardi because he is a superior player so that is all moot.

Look at the contract Volchenkov signed as a UFA this summer. 4.25 cap hit. Defensive D-Man. He was a UFA and only got 4.25 on the open market. I am fine with Staal getting 4.5 because in the end he is a lot more important to us than he would be to other teams. I just wouldn't view it as a terrific bargain.
and staal also had double the amount of points Volchenkov did...Staals offensive numbers are trending upwards, and he really does have a lot of untapped offensive potential...not 50 point potential, but 30-35 point potential for sure.

Inferno is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.