HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Frölunda

Old
09-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Frölunda

Given the article in Aftonbladet.se regarding Boork's remarks about Göteborg as a hockey town, I was curious to see if there is "another side" to this story.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle7753214.ab

I can see his point about Göteborg being a soccer and team handball town by tradition. However, if people come out for Frölunda, it seems a bit harsh to shoot down the people working with hockey in Göteborg, as well as the city's hockey culture, even if the locals have limited interest in other teams.

Now, I could have misunderstood this, or the reporter could have written this story to create a tabloid, as well as Boork's job these days is to create tabloids, or maybe he is still bitter?

What are your thoughts?

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
KCrushers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribban View Post
Given the article in Aftonbladet.se regarding Boork's remarks about Göteborg as a hockey town, I was curious to see if there is "another side" to this story.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...icle7753214.ab

I can see his point about Göteborg being a soccer and team handball town by tradition. However, if people come out for Frölunda, it seems a bit harsh to shoot down the people working with hockey in Göteborg, as well as the city's hockey culture, even if the locals have limited interest in other teams.

Now, I could have misunderstood this, or the reporter could have written this story to create a tabloid, as well as Boork's job these days is to create tabloids, or maybe he is still bitter?

What are your thoughts?
I guess it depends on what you compare with. Compared to Linköping or HV71, Frölunda has great history and there is absolutley an interest for hockey but I would lie if I dident claim that Gothenburg first and fore most is a football (soccer) town.

I think Boork saw a chance of getting his name in the paper again and went for it. It seems like a non issue to me.

KCrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 12:38 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Well it speaks for itself doesn' it.

Göteborg and Örgryte, two of Sweden's most successful football clubs, and Redbergslid, the most (?) succesfull handball club.

Frölunda - 1 title...

bottomofthefoodchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 02:10 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
Well it speaks for itself doesn' it.

Göteborg and Örgryte, two of Sweden's most successful football clubs, and Redbergslid, the most (?) succesfull handball club.

Frölunda - 1 title...
Three actually.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:02 PM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
I thought Frölunda has had the highest attendance in Elitserien for years? Surely there's hockey interest there.

Nobody should pay any attention to Boork. Trolls don't go away if you keep giving them attention. Trolling is the only weapon Boork has left now in his twilight years, his understanding and knowledge of hockey hasn't developed since 1985 or something like that.

svartgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 04:19 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Of course there is an interest, otherwise the team would go bankrupt.
But the interest for football is generally much bigger in the south.

Old
09-09-2010, 04:20 PM
KRM

Some points are valid, other are not.

To say that Frölunda's junior program only resulted in Lundqvist, Kahnberg, and Tolsa is pure idiocy. And his arguments seem rather futile when he's not factually correct about the numbers.

In Gothenburg municipality, population 510,000, there are only eight rinks, including Scandinavium and Frölundaborg. This really affects kids who want to play hockey, I myself started playing when I was six, but already at that stage due to the shortage of available ice time you saw cuts being made. Basically making it impossible for new players to join teams since they obviously didn't "make the cut" from the start and thus were not prioritized and basically only sat on the bench during games until they gave up tried some other sport.

Gothenburg is a really big sports town, but hockey is an outsider within the sporting community. Much due to the fact that cutting players at that early age is considered blasphemous in other team sports. Finding and keeping talented kids within the sport will be tough when you have so many good teams in football, handball, floorball, and etc, who all cooperate with each other, which hockey don't. The only solution to a more genuine hockey culture I can see is to build many more rinks (two are currently being planned) and get an outreach program to other sports and schools.

Despite a lacking hockey culture Boork seams to like this city after all since he recently bought an apartment in Eriksberg. Maybe this article was a result of him not being recognized often enough at the local Coop Forum.

Last edited by KRM: 09-09-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old
09-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
I doubt any other Swedish hockey team has had more future NHLers go through it's youth system the past 15-20 years than Frölunda.
And then there is the attendance...

Of course Göteborg is a football city first and foremost, you'd struggle to find any city with a total of 34 football championship titles that isn't, but to say that it doesn't have a hockey culture is complete garbage.

The football support in this city is traditionally split over class divides, and the people who actually go to games are usually the more die hard fans. Most people have been born into a club, but they don't really follow them very closely and only really go and watch if there is a big derby. Most casual football conversation has more to do with the stereotypes attached to the different fans, than with the actual football.

Unlike the football clubs, support for Frölunda actually unites most of the city, and the club attracts families to the games, something you can see in the attendances, which have been the highest in Sweden and in the top 5 in Europe for many, many years. If you start talking hockey at a place of work or at school, people will actually talk about hockey, instead of trying to find new and creative ways of calling each other "brats", homeless or gloryhunters.

Franck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 02:12 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post

In Gothenburg municipality, population 510,000, there are only eight rinks, including Scandinavium and Frölundaborg. This really affects kids who want to play hockey
I don't know how the situation is in Malmö, but this is pretty similar to Stockholm. I would guess that most of these rinks are at least a generation, if not two, old. That, in my opinion, and the price of equipment, are the biggest challenges for our sport in the coming decades.

I think that the Federation should start up some kind of enterprise set on achieving at least half of the rink densities of a normal bigger Canadian city in our 3 metro areas. Maybe recruit some old NHL players and let them play golf and "charity" games with key politicians and entrepreneurs, in order to sell the some what unsexy concept of using public money to actually build practice rinks, not arenas, for the local kids to use.

Riddarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 01:06 PM
bottomofthefoodchain

Malmö is lost forever. All the kids want to become the new Zlatan.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:32 PM
KRM

Quote:
Malmö is definitely not lost, they are producing quality talent.

Old
09-12-2010, 02:46 PM
zecke26

Quote:
zlatan? is that the floater who always plays his worst when he's in a sweden jersey?

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 03:20 PM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Quote:
Malmö is definitely not lost, they are producing quality talent.

Sebastian Dyk
Max Görtz
Roger Olsson
Victor Öhman

Quality??? DECENT.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:11 AM
Yabob

Quote:
In Gothenburg municipality, population 510,000, there are only eight rinks, including Scandinavium and Frölundaborg.
That's a really low number, considering that a fairly new and much smaller hockey town like Linköping have five rinks (if we count the one they use in Ljungsbro... it's part of the municipal after all).

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:35 AM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
Originally Posted by landskronala View Post
Sebastian Dyk
Max Görtz
Roger Olsson
Victor Öhman

Quality??? DECENT.
Don´t forget the Westerholm twins and the big Victor Mångs. Mångs has a good shot at being drafted if he has a good season. They also have the really promising Calle Andersson. Malmö could do very well in Superelit this season.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 01:05 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Don´t forget the Westerholm twins and the big Victor Mångs. Mångs has a good shot at being drafted if he has a good season. They also have the really promising Calle Andersson. Malmö could do very well in Superelit this season.
And this kid called Pääjärvi...

Old
09-13-2010, 03:27 PM
cheerupmurray

Quote:
And this kid called Pääjärvi...
Meh he don´t even speak skånska anymore

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old