HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Roster and Schedule (post #2); Cuts announced, Sept. 26 (post #189)

Old
09-14-2010, 09:52 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
there was no toilet paper in the bathroom stall and no hot dogs for sale. That about sums up my camp report.
"We are out of toilet paper."

"Better stop selling hotdogs."

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
is rookie camp open to the public, what time does it start?
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=537130

Quote:
...On-Ice practices during Rookie Camp will take place beginning at 10 AM on September 13, 14 and 15. All sessions are open to the public and free of charge.
I heard from a friend that was there on Monday that they skated the first hour with Gilbert (Phantoms) doing drills like 1 on 1s, 2 on 1s and 3 on 1s, then did an ice cut. The second they hour worked mostly on positioning and systems.

Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 01:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
If Mark Bell would make the team.
yeah he fell thru the cracks and didnt make the team

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Wow, to be honest, Testwuide has the face of a football or baseball player. I don't think he looks like a hockey, but I'm sure he's built for it.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:41 PM
jb**

Surprised that Ryan dingle isnt in camp. Thought he would have a break out year.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:46 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 929
Tim P.'s column lists some minutiae:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/14/10/Ca...600&feedID=704

Quote:
Numbers switch
Nikolai Zherdev and Mike Richards are still not in camp. Interesting that Zherdev has already lost his No. 9 jersey to Bill Guerin, who is here on a tryout. Low numbers often indicate a player’s likelihood of being on the roster.

Zherdev was assigned Petr Nedved’s old No. 93. Zherdev’s locker was moved beside Michael Leighton, while Guerin was assigned his stall near Jeff Carter. Guerin didn’t have a stall last week. Zherdev did, and now it’s been moved. Again, interesting tidbits for a player on a tryout contract. You can book it: Guerin will make this team and force a roster move.

Unveiling
Big day at Flyers Skate Zone on Friday in Voorhees, N.J. First, the team will unveil their new road sweaters at 3 p.m., and then there will be free public skating afterward (4-10 p.m.) to celebrate the facility’s 10th anniversary. The sweaters will be identical to their Winter Classic gear from last season’s game in Boston.

“We are just as excited as the fans are to open training camp and pick up right where we left off last season,” said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. “We are encouraging our fans to join us all weekend long and celebrate the opening of training camp with the Philadelphia Flyers.”

As part of the celebration, there will be free “Learn to Skate” lessons at 6 p.m., followed by “Learn to Play Hockey” at 7 p.m.

Loose pucks
Auditions for the 2010-11 Flyers Ice Team will take place on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Skate Zone in Voorhees. The Flyers are seeking women who can skate and have a passion for the game of hockey. CSN’s Al Morganti and the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli will be among the judges. ... Blair Betts still has not been cleared to take contact but is expected to get that clearance in time for Saturday’s on-ice session.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:50 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Surprised that Ryan dingle isnt in camp. Thought he would have a break out year.
When I first joined this forum a year ago I thought you were serious with posts like this and I would wonder what planet you were on. Now you are possibly my favorite poster. Great stuff.

Old
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
jb**

Quote:
Tim P.'s column lists some minutiae:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/14/10/Ca...600&feedID=704
disappointing if zherdev is nto here in time to start camp. There i sno reaosn why he shoudl be late, visa issues or not. That should have been taken care of already. Glad to see the Captain setting a good example.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Another Bobrovsky article from today: Link

Quote:
The scout was sitting at his desk at Flyers Skate Zone typing notes into his computer.

A reporter turned to leave, when the scout said, “Hey, keep an eye on Bobrovsky. He has a chance to make this roster.”

There’s a world of intrigue surrounding Russian goalie prospect Sergei Bobrovsky, who will turn 22 next week, at this Flyers rookie/prospect camp.

Some years ago, the Flyers, then under Roger Neilson, went to Peterborough, and there was massive hype about whether cocky Jean-Marc Pelletier was the club’s goalie of the future.

Pelletier’s Flyer career lasted slightly longer than a bottle of Chianti in an Italian restaurant.

And Bobrovsky? He doesn’t have Pelletier’s moxy. He’s far more modest.

No one really knows whether the 6-foot-2, 190-pound native of Novokuznetsk, Russia is the real deal. It’s almost impossible to tell with goalies.

And the Flyers have had such a l-o-n-g history of failure to develop their “next No. 1” (since Ron Hextall), the organization is understandably hesitant to gush about a kid who was an absolute gem on a gosh-awful team in the KHL last season.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-14-2010 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Edited to fit within HF's Site Rules
Old
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
disappointing if zherdev is nto here in time to start camp. There i sno reaosn why he shoudl be late, visa issues or not. That should have been taken care of already. Glad to see the Captain setting a good example.
Awaiting the first scribe to report "locker room turmoil."

The Flyers' site had an article about Richards last week. He said he was eager to get into camp.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:20 PM
jb**

Quote:

The Flyers' site had an article about Richards last week. He said he was eager to get into camp.
in due time, as soon as guerin steps up, the lockeroom will be divided!

Old
09-14-2010, 05:21 PM
jb**

Quote:

doesnt seem like the Captain is that eager lol.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
doesnt seem like the Captain is that eager lol.
I'm not sure when vets are required to be in camp. Most likely they have a different date than rookies and some other players. If he was absent but required by today, it would have been in the lead paragraph.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:36 PM
Garbage Goal

Am I the only one that's distressed by this quote from the article?

Quote:
Numbers switch
Nikolai Zherdev and Mike Richards are still not in camp. Interesting that Zherdev has already lost his No. 9 jersey to Bill Guerin, who is here on a tryout. Low numbers often indicate a player’s likelihood of being on the roster.

Zherdev was assigned Petr Nedved’s old No. 93. Zherdev’s locker was moved beside Michael Leighton, while Guerin was assigned his stall near Jeff Carter. Guerin didn’t have a stall last week. Zherdev did, and now it’s been moved. Again, interesting tidbits for a player on a tryout contract. You can book it: Guerin will make this team and force a roster move.

Last edited by Garbage Goal: 09-14-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:01 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Am I the only one that's distressed by this quote from the article?
Exactly! Since low numbers indicate higher probability of being on a roster, then high numbers must indicate lower probability of being on a roster. You heard it here first Guerin replacing Zherdev!

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Exactly! Since low numbers indicate higher probability of being on a roster, then high numbers must indicate lower probability of being on a roster. You heard it here first Guerin replacing Zherdev!
For some reason I didn't complete the quote before. Fixed now.

I just find it odd that a guy on a tryout contract is taking a number from one of our NHL players and taking his locker spot. That isn't usual, is it?

Plus, they literally say at the end of the quote that "You can book it:Guerin will make this team and force a roster move".

Old
09-14-2010, 06:30 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
For some reason I didn't complete the quote before. Fixed now.

I just find it odd that a guy on a tryout contract is taking a number from one of our NHL players and taking his locker spot. That isn't usual, is it?

Plus, they literally say at the end of the quote that "You can book it:Guerin will make this team and force a roster move".
Oh it does sound strange, which is why I made fun of it.

Maybe Zherdev's Visa problems are serious?

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
Oh it does sound strange, which is why I made fun of it.

Maybe Zherdev's Visa problems are serious?
Maybe the Flyers just hate Russians?

Actually, forget the sarcasm smiley, that's kind of true.

Old
09-14-2010, 07:10 PM
IceHot

Testwuide Rookie Camp Video Blog Link

Here's a good account of the Rookie Camp that Mike Testwuide plans on keeping us updated on-
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64371

IceHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 10:42 PM
jb**

I would have thought Shooter would have extended an invite to Mike Danton to come to camp. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Old
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Zherdev here
Nikolai Zherdev skated early in the morning on his own. It was his first time on the ice as a Flyer. Though he speaks some English and seems to understand it, he declined to do interviews without the presence of a translator.

Slava Kouznetsov, the Phantoms’ skating coach who is acting as a translator for goalie Sergei Bobrovsky, wasn’t available when Zherdev was in the building. Kouznetsov later explained that Zherdev is afraid of misunderstanding something asked of him and answering wrong.

One Flyer veteran said he spoke to Zherdev and had difficulty understanding his English. Zherdev played five years in the NHL, but the Flyers say because he played in Russia last season, he needs a refresher course in English, which is being provided to him, just as it is to Bobrovsky.

Zherdev reportedly was fine doing interviews as a New York Ranger in small groups or one-on-one, though he admitted he never felt perfectly comfortable with expressing himself in English. The group here initially included one reporter from CSNPhilly.com and a reporter from the Courier Post.
Link

Other stuff posted in the article as well, such as Pronger skating and Richards showing up.

Old
09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

5 years in the NHL and he can't speak w/o a translator? Sheesh. I can see Bobo of course and even a dude maybe in his second or MAYBE 3rd year, but 6th?

Old
09-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
5 years in the NHL and he can't speak w/o a translator? Sheesh. I can see Bobo of course and even a dude maybe in his second or MAYBE 3rd year, but 6th?
English is the hardest language to learn from what I understand and he's a season removed from having to speak any English.

He's just rusty. I would be willing to bet that a lot of Russians never feel totally comfortable speaking English even when they have learned it.

Old
09-15-2010, 04:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
English is the hardest language to learn from what I understand and he's a season removed from having to speak any English.

He's just rusty. I would be willing to bet that a lot of Russians never feel totally comfortable speaking English even when they have learned it.
I've heard from others than learning Japanese is unbelievably hard. Mainly because not only do you need to learn over 3000 characters in the Kanji alone, you have to technically also learn Korean and Chinese along with it.

But anyways, it's good that he wants a translator so he doesn't do anything wrong.

Old
09-15-2010, 04:42 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I've heard from others than learning Japanese is unbelievably hard. Mainly because not only do you need to learn over 3000 characters in the Kanji alone, you have to technically also learn Korean and Chinese along with it.

But anyways, it's good that he wants a translator so he doesn't do anything wrong.
Thats how I see it. I think he is making sure that no mater what he says or hears, a translater will make sure he says it right (or hears it right)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote