HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev switches to #93, Guerin given #9 (Possible implications)

Old
09-14-2010, 04:30 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Zherdev switches to #93, Guerin given #9 (Possible implications)

On the surface, this doesn't mean much, but when you look at it, it basically guarantees that Guerin is going to make this team. Zherdev wouldn't just randomly switch his number, the organization obviously believes that Guerin's going to make this team. So, who would be the odd man out?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:35 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

vCash: 500
Betts is hurt, Powe might be put on the Phantoms...

Shelley should be waived.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Philadelphia Flames

Nikolai Zherdev and Mike Richards are still not in camp. Interesting that Zherdev has already lost his No. 9 jersey to Bill Guerin, who is here on a tryout. Low numbers often indicate a player’s likelihood of being on the roster.

Zherdev was assigned Petr Nedved’s old No. 93. Zherdev’s locker was moved beside Michael Leighton, while Guerin was assigned his stall near Jeff Carter. Guerin didn’t have a stall last week. Zherdev did, and now it’s been moved. Again, interesting tidbits for a player on a tryout contract. You can book it: Guerin will make this team and force a roster move.

By Tim Panaccio

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:39 PM
mercury

Hopefully, Walker is waived, and Guerin/Shelley alternate 12th/13th forward while Betts is out, and then they adjust accordingly when he returns. Guerin-Richards-Giroux might not be terrible. Depending on Guerin fares, he might squeeze Powe out, but Powe should be 4th line center to start the season, right?

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
I am guessing if Guerin stays, Carbomb is moved out west !

Bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:52 PM
fire bettman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Why??? I'd sooner waive Shelley, send powe to the AHL and let Carbomb and Guerin earn a spot when Betts gets back from his injury.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
That would be retarded.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:55 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Nice to have a link.

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/14/10/Ca...600&feedID=704

Quote:
Numbers switch
Nikolai Zherdev and Mike Richards are still not in camp. Interesting that Zherdev has already lost his No. 9 jersey to Bill Guerin, who is here on a tryout. Low numbers often indicate a player’s likelihood of being on the roster.

Zherdev was assigned Petr Nedved’s old No. 93. Zherdev’s locker was moved beside Michael Leighton, while Guerin was assigned his stall near Jeff Carter. Guerin didn’t have a stall last week. Zherdev did, and now it’s been moved. Again, interesting tidbits for a player on a tryout contract. You can book it: Guerin will make this team and force a roster move.

Unveiling
Big day at Flyers Skate Zone on Friday in Voorhees, N.J. First, the team will unveil their new road sweaters at 3 p.m., and then there will be free public skating afterward (4-10 p.m.) to celebrate the facility’s 10th anniversary. The sweaters will be identical to their Winter Classic gear from last season’s game in Boston.

“We are just as excited as the fans are to open training camp and pick up right where we left off last season,” said Comcast-Spectacor President Peter Luukko. “We are encouraging our fans to join us all weekend long and celebrate the opening of training camp with the Philadelphia Flyers.”

As part of the celebration, there will be free “Learn to Skate” lessons at 6 p.m., followed by “Learn to Play Hockey” at 7 p.m.

Loose pucks
Auditions for the 2010-11 Flyers Ice Team will take place on Saturday at 1 p.m. at Skate Zone in Voorhees. The Flyers are seeking women who can skate and have a passion for the game of hockey. CSN’s Al Morganti and the Daily News’ Frank Seravalli will be among the judges. ... Blair Betts still has not been cleared to take contact but is expected to get that clearance in time for Saturday’s on-ice session.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire bettman View Post
Why??? I'd sooner waive Shelley, send powe to the AHL and let Carbomb and Guerin earn a spot when Betts gets back from his injury.
If you think they waive Shelley, you are in for a big surprise. Flyers don't hand out 3 year deals and waive guys. Not saying I want Carbomb gone, just what I think will happen once we know when Betts will return.

Old
09-14-2010, 04:56 PM
Bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
That would be retarded.
That is Holmers way !

Old
09-14-2010, 04:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
If you think they waive Shelley, you are in for a big surprise. Flyers don't hand out 3 year deals and waive guys. Not saying I want Carbomb gone, just what I think will happen once we know when Betts will return.
I actually agree with you. Even if I dislike Shelly more then Carcillo, I think that since they signed Shelly for 3 years and Carcillo just one, Carcillo is the odd man out.... him or Powe. The only reason Powe may not, because he can play the PK, and play center if needed (say like Betts gets hurt midseason)

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
Terence Peterman

Pretty interesting. I just hope he isn't the black hole he was for the Pens last year.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:04 PM
jb**

Shelley isnt getting waived and it is highly unlikely, very highly unlikely that Walker is as well. So stop with this nonsense. The only reason i can see carcillo being moved is because he took the team to arbitration. If/when they do move him come February they will waste another asset to acquire a plyer of similiar ilk. Powe makes the most sense to move as he is very replaceable either in house or at anytime during the season. Betts will 100% start the year on the injured the list. At some point it would not surprise me to see Ian end up there as well and never return.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:14 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Shelley won't be waived nor should he be. With all the heavyweights in the league let alone in our division we NEED a fighter. Walker probably ain't goon anywhere either. You really think Homer wants people to see he gave up Gagne for a 4th rounder. Powe won't be waived or sent to the minors or traded or waived. The writing was on the wall for Carcillo in the Finals. He showed and management saw he couldn't help the team. Sadly I think Carbomb is on his way out. It sucks because he at the very least brought excitement to the game.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:22 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Powe isn't making it through waivers. Bad idea.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
PhilaFlyers

93 is cooler anyway.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
It doesn't guarantee anything. Mark Bell was given #9 and was released from his PTO after 1 or 2 games. Bryan Berard was given #24 and also did not make the team. Zherdev getting #93, also doesn't mean much. If he was given #53 or #63 that's a bit different. Numbers in the 90s are usually as safe as numbers 1-30.

But yeah, I think Guerin will be here the whole season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It doesn't guarantee anything. Mark Bell was given #9 and was released from his PTO after 1 or 2 games. Bryan Berard was given #24 and also did not make the team. Zherdev getting #93, also doesn't mean much. If he was given #53 or #63 that's a bit different. Numbers in the 90s are usually as safe as numbers 1-30.

But yeah, I think Guerin will be here the whole season.
I think the idea behind it though, is that they made Zherdev change (who is a lock for the team) Bell and Bernard didnt make anyone change their numbers due to them trying out.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the idea behind it though, is that they made Zherdev change (who is a lock for the team) Bell and Bernard didnt make anyone change their numbers due to them trying out.
Maybe they talked to Zherdev. At least someone is, I haven't heard a thing from him since he was signed. He's not even in town yet.

Zherdev may be a lock to make the team, but if he pulls the "woe is me" trick some Russians have been pulling in the past, he'll be gone and if Guerin is also gone they'll wish they had him.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timonen View Post
Shelley won't be waived nor should he be. With all the heavyweights in the league let alone in our division we NEED a fighter. Walker probably ain't goon anywhere either. You really think Homer wants people to see he gave up Gagne for a 4th rounder. Powe won't be waived or sent to the minors or traded or waived. The writing was on the wall for Carcillo in the Finals. He showed and management saw he couldn't help the team. Sadly I think Carbomb is on his way out. It sucks because he at the very least brought excitement to the game.
That is no lock by any means. If they could move him for a draft pick, dont think they could, i would in a second.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:45 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Maybe they talked to Zherdev. At least someone is, I haven't heard a thing from him since he was signed. He's not even in town yet.

Zherdev may be a lock to make the team, but if he pulls the "woe is me" trick some Russians have been pulling in the past, he'll be gone and if Guerin is also gone they'll wish they had him.
Huh? Sorry dont understand your last part. I know what you mean about the Russians, but are you talking about Zherdev being pissed cause he had his number changed? If so I doubt that happens. That being said, I do think they asked Zherdev first, but WHY would they ask him to change his number if Guerin wasnt going to make the team? If he was just going to tryout and they didnt know if he would make it or not, I think they would have just given him any number. Instead they make a player who has a contract on the team change his number so Guerin could take the number he wanted. This ussually never happens for tryout players.

Old
09-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Odd that Guerin would take #9 in a move that would cause a player to change numbers...he's been steadfastly #13 forever...his acquisition in Pittsburgh caused Alex Goligoski to change his number (well...Goligoski changed instantly without being asked, but same difference).

Was Carcillo unwilling to change? If then...why would Bill go for a number already taken? Odd to me on the surface.

A number is just a number...I doubt they gave him a 'normal' number as some sort of guarantee. I suspect he'll probably make the team, but I doubt this means much of anything.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 05:52 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
My guess is Betts is put on LTIR and things are figured out later.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:02 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My guess is Betts is put on LTIR and things are figured out later.
then they will trade carcillo and a future 2nd for wayne primeau, after he signs with r team x. This will gain them 500k in cap space lol. Shooter has a plan, believe that player.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Huh? Sorry dont understand your last part. I know what you mean about the Russians, but are you talking about Zherdev being pissed cause he had his number changed? If so I doubt that happens. That being said, I do think they asked Zherdev first, but WHY would they ask him to change his number if Guerin wasnt going to make the team? If he was just going to tryout and they didnt know if he would make it or not, I think they would have just given him any number. Instead they make a player who has a contract on the team change his number so Guerin could take the number he wanted. This ussually never happens for tryout players.
Maybe they didn't ask him.

Or maybe they did and he doesn't care. He wanted 99 actually, 93 almost looks like it...

They might trade Carcillo, because there is little chance he's here next season with Giroux and Carter needing to be re-signed.