HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev switches to #93, Guerin given #9 (Possible implications)

Old
09-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
It's not even that Guerin took Zherdev's number (which is odd in of itself), but that, at the end of the article, they said that "Guerin is a lock for the team and will force a roster move". I doubt csnphilly would allow that to be on their website if it didn't have a foundation.

Plus we've been rumoured to be interested in Guerin for a while now and our GM is Paul Holmgren.

So I think Guerin is definitely going to make the team. Not because he's good or better then what we have, but because our GM is Paul Holmgren.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Hopefully, Walker is waived, and Guerin/Shelley alternate 12th/13th forward while Betts is out, and then they adjust accordingly when he returns. Guerin-Richards-Giroux might not be terrible. Depending on Guerin fares, he might squeeze Powe out, but Powe should be 4th line center to start the season, right?
Hopefully you are wrong about Walker!!!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:09 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's not even that Guerin took Zherdev's number (which is odd in of itself), but that, at the end of the article, they said that "Guerin is a lock for the team and will force a roster move". I doubt csnphilly would allow that to be on their website if it didn't have a foundation.

Plus we've been rumoured to be interested in Guerin for a while now and our GM is Paul Holmgren.

So I think Guerin is definitely going to make the team. Not because he's good or better then what we have, but because our GM is Paul Holmgren.
the foundation is that it is a formality that it is a "tryout". It is a doen deal that they have a contract already in place.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Hopefully you are wrong about Walker!!!
Well your the first person I see that wants Walker on the team. From what I have seen him play in Tampa, the guys isnt very good at all. What makes you want to keep him?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:12 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

What a Joke

Old
09-14-2010, 06:14 PM
IrishSniper87

JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Leino-Giroux-Guerin
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
Shelley
Powe

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
Coburn-O'Donnell
Walker
Bartulis

With Betts out to injury and Lappy's serious head injury last season, Guerin shores up the third line, Powe takes over for Betts, and Shelley is the 13th for the inevitable injuries this team will see.

14 forwards is a smart play considering 1 IS injured and we usually have multiple names showing up on our injury and day-to-day reports. Shelley as 13th will still see tons of games, unless he himself is injured.

Holmer is obtaining DEPTH. You guys sound like you have never heard of injuries. In case you didn't notice, our minors are a disgrace and we have no prospects who can be counted on when injuries strike. We can call up Nodl and Laliberte. Yippee, we might as plan the parade with those two.

I dont care for Walker either, but Pronger is 35 and coming off major knee surgery. Even if he can play, they want to reduce his minutes. Homer is just stacking his starting 23 with NHL players since he obviously doesnt trust his minors. Not a bad move considering our most recent 1st round pick in the organization was picked in 2007.

Personally, I would work on trying to acquire prospects and picks if possible if I were Holmgrem.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:15 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well your the first person I see that wants Walker on the team. From what I have seen him play in Tampa, the guys isnt very good at all. What makes you want to keep him?
the problem with walker is he makes 1.7mm for the next 3 years. how he got that contract is beyond me. If he wa smaking 800k, few would complain. He is a solid bottom pairing guy. Playing with a team that is good and has structure and good coaching will onyl help him as well imo.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
How many game have you seen him play?Have you talked to his teamates? I happen to know that he is well respected around the league and a very good team player. Is not a very good player at all

Old
09-14-2010, 06:18 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Personally, I would work on trying to acquire prospects and picks if possible if I were Holmgrem.
I really bvelieve he doesnt believe in them at all. Dont think he has any interets in draft pciks or prospects(unless they are nhl rookie type prospects). He has already shown draft picks are not something he covets at all.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Gert B Frobe

I know Carcillo is an exciting player and all but he doesn't bring any value to the team in the playoffs. With all the heavyweights in the conference and divsion they absolutely need Shelley - plus he just got a 3 year deal. Shelley can be replaced for the playoffs on the 4th line by a guy like Powe or somebody else.

My guess is Carcillo is going somewhere for a late pick and I agree with the idea.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
How many game have you seen him play?Have you talked to his teamates? I happen to know that he is well respected around the league and a very good team player. Is not a very good player at all
Watched close to 15-25 games last season. Reason being that I have cousins that live in Florida and I visted them for abit. I had the Tampa games not Flyers. He's not good. Dont read articles and listen to what people who watched him play are saying (ie Tampa fans and others who watched him play). At 1.7 mil, he isnt worth the 7th spot on the team. Maybe at league min, but 1.7 mil for a good, nice guy? Naw, Ill pass

Old
09-14-2010, 06:34 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:

Guerin has been rumored to come here for years. Remember, before he was traded to Pittsburgh we were trying get him, but we had that pesky Randy Jones issue...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
What a Joke
Thought-provoking.

Quote:
14 forwards is a smart play considering 1 IS injured and we usually have multiple names showing up on our injury and day-to-day reports.
Do you mean carrying 14 forwards or just having 14 players capable of playing in the NHL? If it's the former, then that's a stupid idea because no team should be carrying two extra forwards, let alone a team that is currently carrying 8 d-men.

For all the various minor, short-term injuries that occur during a regular season, you have call-ups. That's what they're for, that's why they're called call-ups. Every team does it.

If you mean the latter, then we already have 14+ capable NHL players.

Quote:
Shelley as 13th will still see tons of games, unless he himself is injured.
Describe "tons". If he's truly the 13th forward, then he won't be getting tons of games just by the definition of what a 13th forward is.

Quote:
Holmer is obtaining DEPTH.
Which we already have tons of?

Quote:
You guys sound like you have never heard of injuries.
We have and that's why we have call-ups. That's why every team in the league has call-ups.

Quote:
In case you didn't notice, our minors are a disgrace and we have no prospects who can be counted on when injuries strike.
Kalinski, Nodl, maybe Laliberte, probably one or maybe even both of Backlund and Bobrovsky, our 13th forward, and our 7th and 8th d-men should more then be capable of filling in for injuries.

Quote:
We can call up Nodl and Laliberte. Yippee, we might as plan the parade with those two.
I'm not sure what you're getting at here. Every team goes through injuries during the regular season and every team uses call-ups for that purpose. Having Nodl and Laliberte as our call-ups last season didn't cause any trouble then so why would it cause any sort of trouble now?

Quote:
I dont care for Walker either, but Pronger is 35 and coming off major knee surgery. Even if he can play, they want to reduce his minutes. Homer is just stacking his starting 23 with NHL players since he obviously doesnt trust his minors. Not a bad move considering our most recent 1st round pick in the organization was picked in 2007.
...And Guerin helps limit Pronger's minutes and increase our call-up depth how? He's a forward so he won't be limiting Pronger's minutes and he's almost 40 so his 35+ contract isn't feasible as a call-up. That's even ignoring the fact that Guerin is a scorer who can't score and isn't fit for a grinding role so he has no place on any team in the league really.

You're aware that we arguably have the best depth in the league, right? We have eight NHL d-men and five top-four d-men so Pronger's minutes should be fine.

Old
09-14-2010, 06:51 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
JVR-Richards-Zherdev
Hartnell-Carter-Briere
Leino-Giroux-Guerin
Carcillo-Betts-Lappy
Shelley
Powe

Carle-Pronger
Meszaros-Timonen
Coburn-O'Donnell
Walker
Bartulis

With Betts out to injury and Lappy's serious head injury last season, Guerin shores up the third line, Powe takes over for Betts, and Shelley is the 13th for the inevitable injuries this team will see.

14 forwards is a smart play considering 1 IS injured and we usually have multiple names showing up on our injury and day-to-day reports. Shelley as 13th will still see tons of games, unless he himself is injured.

Holmer is obtaining DEPTH. You guys sound like you have never heard of injuries. In case you didn't notice, our minors are a disgrace and we have no prospects who can be counted on when injuries strike. We can call up Nodl and Laliberte. Yippee, we might as plan the parade with those two.

Don't be so reasonable. Haven't you heard? Homer can't do anything right even if the moves he makes make this team better!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Don't be so reasonable. Haven't you heard? Homer can't do anything right even if the moves he makes make this team better!
And how does signing Guerin, at this point in time, make the team better?

Old
09-14-2010, 07:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
And how does signing Guerin, at this point in time, make the team better?
Being honest, how does it make the team worse?

Old
09-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Being honest, how does it make the team worse?
It doesn't but shows that this team really misses Gagne.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:33 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
It doesn't but shows that this team really misses Gagne.
True, but if Homer could cap manage we wouldnt be in this situation...but... he doesnt so we gotta do things that we otherwise would never do.

They have Guerin on a tryout, and Homer things one of the prospects could fight for a spot on the team, its showing that they think that Carcillo isnt able to keep up in a scoring spot next to Carter or Richards, which is rightfully true. Even if you disagree or agree with the 3 scoring lines thing, its what Stevens did and now what Lavy is doing for better or for worse. Since we are running 3 scoring lines, we need players that can play in scoring positions or can keep up with the players on their lines.

Old
09-14-2010, 07:46 PM
jb**

Quote:
True, but if Homer could cap manage we wouldnt be in this situation...but... he doesnt so we gotta do things that we otherwise would never do.

They have Guerin on a tryout, and Homer things one of the prospects could fight for a spot on the team, its showing that they think that Carcillo isnt able to keep up in a scoring spot next to Carter or Richards, which is rightfully true. Even if you disagree or agree with the 3 scoring lines thing, its what Stevens did and now what Lavy is doing for better or for worse. Since we are running 3 scoring lines, we need players that can play in scoring positions or can keep up with the players on their lines.
Shooter has to say he wants one of the prospects to fight for as job. The reality is they have little to no shot at making the team, that is GM speak. There were several better options than guerin imo. Just think Belanger signed for 750k, bet guerin makes as much if not more. Who would you rather have?

Old
09-14-2010, 07:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Shooter has to say he wants one of the prospects to fight for as job. The reality is they have little to no shot at making the team, that is GM speak. There were several better options than guerin imo. Just think Belanger signed for 750k, bet guerin makes as much if not more. Who would you rather have?
Belanger gets to choose between a Phoenix team that has very little depth and the Flyers with alot of depth. What would you choose? Hes going to the place where he will get more playing time on the 2nd line then playing 3rd line for us.

Meh. So far every single year till I could remember a rookie has made the team out of camp or into the middle of the season. Last year JVR and Bartulis, year before Giroux and Powe (and alot of Nodl), year before Downie, year before... I cant even remember that far back but theres always a player that comes up and makes it. Maybe doesnt start the season off on the team, but theres always a player that earns a spot on the team. Now I have a feeling they will look at Testwuide. Testwuide even has a video blog going on the main Flyers site. They dont do that for any rookie.

Old
09-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Belanger gets to choose between a Phoenix team that has very little depth and the Flyers with alot of depth. What would you choose? Hes going to the place where he will get more playing time on the 2nd line then playing 3rd line for us.

Meh. So far every single year till I could remember a rookie has made the team out of camp or into the middle of the season. Last year JVR and Bartulis, year before Giroux and Powe (and alot of Nodl), year before Downie, year before... I cant even remember that far back but theres always a player that comes up and makes it. Maybe doesnt start the season off on the team, but theres always a player that earns a spot on the team. Now I have a feeling they will look at Testwuide. Testwuide even has a video blog going on the main Flyers site. They dont do that for any rookie.
Belanger's problem is that he's a phenomenal 3rd line center but kind of a meh second liner. On a team that has a good shot at winning it all, he's a third line player.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Viller

Quote:
I dont care for Walker either, but Pronger is 35 and coming off major knee surgery. Even if he can play, they want to reduce his minutes.
What the hell are you talking about? His surgery was VERY minor, basic cleanup...

Its funny how common sense takes a backseat on this forums.

They want to roll 3 D lines, not 2. It has nothing to do with Pronger's surgery. Having Mezsaros, O'Donnell and Walker on the team just means this team can afford having injuries in the top 4.

As for Guerin, he'll make the team and they will figure out what happens next when players come back from injury. They've had this mentality about everything since Holmgren took over, why would it change now?

Id much rather have Guerin on the third line than Powe or Carcillo, at least he'll be able to put points up and be a factor in the playoffs. I think Powe's days as a Flyer are done once Betts come back. Not a big loss, so who cares.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
jb**

Quote:

I would choose the place i would have a chance to win, considering he signed for peanuts, that is an easy decision. The flyers or him may have had no interest in each other. Assuming they did, that would be a better singing but we dont know.

Your comparing JVR, Downie and Giroux who were high end picks with talent and expected to make the team. The flyers have no such player this year or even clsoe to that. Bartulis i dont belive made the team but was called up. They can look all they want, no player they have now is good enough to crack the roster as a top 9 player. They have no room on the 4th line unless thery move bodies. I want to see Testicles play against players his own age and size. He is 23 and has been playing with younger players. Getting way to much hype for a guy who hasnt even played 1 pro game yet. He has much to show.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:10 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I would choose the place i would have a chance to win, considering he signed for peanuts, that is an easy decision. The flyers or him may have had no interest in each other. Assuming they did, that would be a better singing but we dont know.

Your comparing JVR, Downie and Giroux who were high end picks with talent and expected to make the team. The flyers have no such player this year or even clsoe to that. Bartulis i dont belive made the team but was called up. They can look all they want, no player they have now is good enough to crack the roster as a top 9 player. They have no room on the 4th line unless thery move bodies. I want to see Testicles play against players his own age and size. He is 23 and has been playing with younger players. Getting way to much hype for a guy who hasnt even played 1 pro game yet. He has much to show.
And thats fine by me. Of course he has to show it. And if he does I have no problem having him on the big team. It is foolish though to say that absolutely no one will make the team. Like I showed with other players except Giroux/Downie/JVR, there has always been someone that made the team by having an impressive showing in camp and/or during the beginning of the season

Old
09-14-2010, 08:15 PM
jb**

Quote:
And thats fine by me. Of course he has to show it. And if he does I have no problem having him on the big team. It is foolish though to say that absolutely no one will make the team. Like I showed with other players except Giroux/Downie/JVR, there has always been someone that made the team by having an impressive showing in camp and/or during the beginning of the season
you havent showed anything, powe made the team because it wasnt as strong as this one. I isnt foolish to say because the guys they have are not good enough right now and may never be for the nhl and all the spots are accounted for. If the GM really thought any of these rookies or young players were good enough he would have left a spot or 2 open for them to make the team. If they then showed they were nto ready you go sign a veteran player. If they show they are ready then by all means you take the best players who earned the spot