HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev switches to #93, Guerin given #9 (Possible implications)

Old
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
you havent showed anything, powe made the team because it wasnt as strong as this one. I isnt foolish to say because the guys they have are not good enough right now and may never be for the nhl and all the spots are accounted for. If the GM really thought any of these rookies or young players were good enough he would have left a spot or 2 open for them to make the team. If they then showed they were nto ready you go sign a veteran player. If they show they are ready then by all means you take the best players who earned the spot
You dont leave a spot open for them to take it. They need to WIN the job not be handed it. This year will be harder, but if they show they can outbeat Guerin or Carcillo you give them the spot. I can tell you they arent going to sit on their ***** and mop around cause the roster is full already. You just keep saying they arent good enough without anything to back it up. You havent showed anything that shows it. Im gonna wait to camp happens before I start saying no one makes it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:27 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You dont leave a spot open for them to take it. They need to WIN the job not be handed it. This year will be harder, but if they show they can outbeat Guerin or Carcillo you give them the spot. I can tell you they arent going to sit on their ***** and mop around cause the roster is full already. You just keep saying they arent good enough without anything to back it up. You havent showed anything that shows it. Im gonna wait to camp happens before I start saying no one makes it.
Yes you do leave a spot open. where did i say you hand them a spot? You leave the spot and if they make it good, if not then you go sign one of the many vets still looking for work. The obviously have no confidence in their prospect crop when they are signing bill guerin. They will need to clearly play head and shoulder lights out for them to earn a spot on this years team. A good camp isnt going to cut it, a dominate camp maybe. I keep saying they arent good enough without anything to back it up, seeing them play and talking to people is enough for me to make my own conclusions.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:32 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Yes you do leave a spot open. where did i say you hand them a spot? You leave the spot and if they make it good, if not then you go sign one of the many vets still looking for work. The obviously have no confidence in their prospect crop when they are signing bill guerin. They will need to clearly play head and shoulder lights out for them to earn a spot on this years team. A good camp isnt going to cut it, a dominate camp maybe. I keep saying they arent good enough without anything to back it up, seeing them play and talking to people is enough for me to make my own conclusions.
Well dont know who your watching or your talking to but I have also been watching them (went to the prospect camp), and talked to people and got a different response.

We shall see then.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 08:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well dont know who your watching or your talking to but I have also been watching them (went to the prospect camp), and talked to people and got a different response.

We shall see then.
prospects playing against other prospects is just a tad different than playing against nhl players. Who from that prospect camp stood out? Testicles? again he is 23 years old playing against 18-20 year olds. You have your opinion, no biggie. As you say we shall see. The people I talk to are much higher up on the food chain than you or I. They also have much more info than both of us combined.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:54 PM
jb**

Probably the wrong forum but 1 think i what would like the nhl to do in the next CBA is adopt what the nba does. Be allowed to sign guys to 10 days(or 15 whatever) contracts. This way you dont have to sign them for the rest of the year. You sign them for a max of 2 10 day contracts and let them go or then sing for the rest of the year. Only $ that coutns against the cap is while they ar eon the roster. This will help cap strapped teams, then again the small markets will complain so no chnace of happeneing.

Old
09-14-2010, 08:57 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
That would be ********.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
That is Holmers way !
New slogan.

Homer.......the way of the ******.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Clown Baby*

It's just Zherdev's way of saying he's going to have a monster year, sign a long-term contract, and leave no. 9 open for Upshall. Only logical reason.

Clown Baby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:46 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

People are complaining about Powe possibly being put on waivers? Come on, the Flyers only have about five of Powe-type players with the Phantoms. Wellwood, Kalinski, Holmstrom, Harper and Labrecque are all guys with similar skill sets. Powe is a dime a dozen player and it's not as if the Flyers would miss a beat without him.

And Carcillo is replaceable as well. Honestly, he's a cheap rate version of Sean Avery, minus the skill. Avery's good for 15 goals, 30 points a year. Carcillo is nowhere near that level and never will be. I had big hopes for Dan because I thought he could be a goal scorer, especially when you consider that he scored goals in the OHL and AHL. But he just doesn't have the mentality to go without doing something stupid. If he gets 15 to 20 goals this year, I'll be the first to apologize for doubting him, but Carcillo offers nothing to this team.

Honestly, the Flyers are better off filling one of the top nine roles with a guy like Testwuide or Maroon. They can't be any worse than Avery or Powe.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2010, 09:53 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Honestly, the Flyers are better off filling one of the top nine roles with a guy like Testwuide or Maroon. They can't be any worse than Avery or Powe.
Yes they sure can. At least powe and carcillo have shown they are legit nhl players. Marron hasnt shown anything except being a decent ahl player while testy hasnt shown anythign at all. This Testwuide love is too much. Guy hasnt done a thing and hasnt played 1 pro game, yet people think he can step into a top 9 role. Wow.

Old
09-14-2010, 11:09 PM
97FlyersKing18

I think it would be a pretty solid signing to get Billy G for cheap. It is not like we need more Top 9 Forwards, but as we saw last year injuries can throw a team into a major funk. I think the Flyers had both Richards and Carter out and perhaps Betts too.

In regards to the numbering saga, Guerin getting 9 shows he will have a pretty good chance of making the team. From this information on CSN-Philly, NZ switching to 93 could be a personal decision and having Guerin sit next to Carter possibly shows he will either be on Carter's line or will serve as a mentor to Carter. I think the bigger story is Carcillo keeping 13, which shows the team is committed to him if they bring in Guerin for the entire year.

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 12:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:

And Carcillo is replaceable as well. Honestly, he's a cheap rate version of Sean Avery, minus the skill. Avery's good for 15 goals, 30 points a year. Carcillo is nowhere near that level and never will be. I had big hopes for Dan because I thought he could be a goal scorer, especially when you consider that he scored goals in the OHL and AHL. But he just doesn't have the mentality to go without doing something stupid. If he gets 15 to 20 goals this year, I'll be the first to apologize for doubting him, but Carcillo offers nothing to this team..
I cant see the Flyers dealing or cutting Carcillo unless sometime down the line he asked for too much money. There are people with power in mangement who think keeping guys like Carcillo around keeps the masses happy with the fan base.
I am on the fence with Carcillo, I dont mind having him around so long as he doesnt act like a clown, but if he was traded tomorrow it would get a meh from me

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 01:20 AM
ashamsmashem

i thought the flyers retired nedved's number.

ashamsmashem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
People are complaining about Powe possibly being put on waivers? Come on, the Flyers only have about five of Powe-type players with the Phantoms. Wellwood, Kalinski, Holmstrom, Harper and Labrecque are all guys with similar skill sets. Powe is a dime a dozen player and it's not as if the Flyers would miss a beat without him.

And Carcillo is replaceable as well. Honestly, he's a cheap rate version of Sean Avery, minus the skill. Avery's good for 15 goals, 30 points a year. Carcillo is nowhere near that level and never will be. I had big hopes for Dan because I thought he could be a goal scorer, especially when you consider that he scored goals in the OHL and AHL. But he just doesn't have the mentality to go without doing something stupid. If he gets 15 to 20 goals this year, I'll be the first to apologize for doubting him, but Carcillo offers nothing to this team.

This post is so full of fail.

Guerin was horrible last year, and the year before. Playing next to the greatest playmaker in the game, he managed a massive 20 goals. 10 of which came on the powerplay. Do you really think he is going to put up anywhere near 45 points playing with Carter, Richards, Giroux ect.

The guy is a washed up Vet. There is a reason he was un-signed. No one wants him. Yet Homer has to go and pick up a useless ****ing veteran. It wouldn't be so bad if the guy could play third line. But he can't.

Oh and Carcillo has definitely shown that he can put up 15 goals 30 points.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:03 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
This post is so full of fail.

Guerin was horrible last year, and the year before. Playing next to the greatest playmaker in the game, he managed a massive 20 goals. 10 of which came on the powerplay. Do you really think he is going to put up anywhere near 45 points playing with Carter, Richards, Giroux ect.

The guy is a washed up Vet. There is a reason he was un-signed. No one wants him. Yet Homer has to go and pick up a useless ****ing veteran. It wouldn't be so bad if the guy could play third line. But he can't.

Yeah, I totally agree with this here.

I fail to see any upside to signing Guerin. Every single sign points to the fact that Guerin is a washed up scorer who can't score anymore, meaning that he has no place on any team.

We have the most depth in the league and some NHL-ready prospects and people are trying to justify a potential Guerin signing by saying that "injuries happen"? I just have to laugh at that.

Not to mention the fact that it would be a 35+ contract. Meaning that we're stuck with him no matter what.

Forget about that little fact though, it's not like our GM is horrible managing the cap and it's not like having little cap space has never bitten us in the ass during the regular season before.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post

Agreed that Guerin was horrible last year. Having him on a top line was one of the reasons I wasn't afraid of meeting the Pens in the playoffs. I still think that they might cut him loose if he doesn't play well in camp, despite the number assignment.

Carcillo and Powe are both very useful parts of the team. Cheap, fast, tough hitters who work hard and contribute goals. Didn't Carcillo score 13 or 17 goals for Phoenix before? Powe had as many as Asham last year despite a significant injury.

I hope all the guys contesting for spots at camp play hard and make it tough for them:

Carcillo, Powe, Guerin, Nodl (who played well in the POs), Kalinski, Testwuide, Maroon, etc.

Frankly, Laperriere could end up being the least important potential contributor of this bunch. I could see him being platooned with Shelley, not Powe, as many predict. I know everyone loves Lappy but he's really slowing down with all the wear and tear.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:09 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
I mean, I can give Guerin a shot. When Recchi left Pittsburgh everyone said he was washed up and done when he was 39, and at age 42 he's still around.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
DenverBoone

Quote:

Good objective post imho. As entertaining as Carcillo is, do we really need him anywhere in the top 12? Now that we are intent on dressing Shelley, cut the fat and move on.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I mean, I can give Guerin a shot. When Recchi left Pittsburgh everyone said he was washed up and done when he was 39, and at age 42 he's still around.
And still averaging a point every 2 games.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:17 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Just a random thought:

People often take numbers with significance (for instance, Kane took 88 because he was born in '88). In 1993, Zherdev was about age 9. Is it possible he took 93 because that was the year he started playing hockey?

Like I said, random thought.

Old
09-15-2010, 09:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Frankly, Laperriere could end up being the least important potential contributor of this bunch. I could see him being platooned with Shelley, not Powe, as many predict. I know everyone loves Lappy but he's really slowing down with all the wear and tear.
Laperriere has played less than 70 games once since 1997. He played in at least 81 games in 3 of the last 5 years. I don't know why you keep saying he's washed up, worn down, and useless, because simple facts say this is not the case. I know you want him to go so that it buys Carcillo another year to prove he's a superstar, but Laperriere isn't going anywhere for the time being, especially when the Flyers are going to tote around the "toughest player in the league" moniker he was given. He's a 4th liner who knows he is a 4th liner, who kills penalties and gives more times to Richards, Giroux, and Carter to not be killing penalties -- that's exactly what you need to win. He actually may be the most important 4th liner we have.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:29 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Laperriere has played less than 70 games once since 1997. He played in at least 81 games in 3 of the last 5 years. I don't know why you keep saying he's washed up, worn down, and useless, because simple facts say this is not the case. I know you want him to go so that it buys Carcillo another year to prove he's a superstar, but Laperriere isn't going anywhere for the time being, especially when the Flyers are going to tote around the "toughest player in the league" moniker he was given. He's a 4th liner who knows he is a 4th liner, who kills penalties and gives more times to Richards, Giroux, and Carter to not be killing penalties -- that's exactly what you need to win. He actually may be the most important 4th liner we have.
I couldn't have stressed that any better if I tried.

Old
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I can't believe there is so much Guerin bashing going on here. Talking about how "horrible" he was last year "only" scoring 20 goals. Newsflash: BILL GUERIN IS NOT BEING BROUGHT IN TO BE THE TOP SCORER ON THIS TEAM. Yeah might "only" score 20 goals (which would be so bad for this team...to have another 20 goal scorer), but that is all he is going to be asked to do. Just like Powe, Carcillo, or whoever else he may replace is going to be asked to do. He isn't replacing Richards. He isn't replacing Carter. He is replacing another player who will probably put up the same amount of point and contribute the same on defense. Powe is faster and probably better on defense than Guerin, but guess what, this team has a ton of good defensive forwards AND defenseman. What a shame to bring in a 20 goal scorer to this team.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:56 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Carcillo scored 12 goals last year and had 13 with Phoenix in a season he only played 57 games in. He sure as hell can get to 15.

Avery gets powerplay time, you seriously think Carcillo wouldn't get 20 if he would be plugged in front of the net?

At least you were right about him being a cheap rate Avery, since he's making less than a third of what Avery makes.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Hopefully he can provide the veteran presence we've missed from Knuble. And he should do better now that he's not being relied upon to keep up with a Crosby-type. As long as we don't ride him too much, he should do alright.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:04 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can't believe there is so much Guerin bashing going on here. Talking about how "horrible" he was last year "only" scoring 20 goals. Newsflash: BILL GUERIN IS NOT BEING BROUGHT IN TO BE THE TOP SCORER ON THIS TEAM. Yeah might "only" score 20 goals (which would be so bad for this team...to have another 20 goal scorer), but that is all he is going to be asked to do. Just like Powe, Carcillo, or whoever else he may replace is going to be asked to do. He isn't replacing Richards. He isn't replacing Carter. He is replacing another player who will probably put up the same amount of point and contribute the same on defense. Powe is faster and probably better on defense than Guerin, but guess what, this team has a ton of good defensive forwards AND defenseman. What a shame to bring in a 20 goal scorer to this team.
So you're expecting Guerin to score 20 goals while playing on the 3rd line? How do you expect that to happen?

I'd rather not have him anywhere near this team, but that doesn't look like that's going to happen. The Flyers are replacing a young, inexpensive, enery player like Powe with an aging, slowing *******. Brilliant work. Really. ****ing brilliant.

Homer is ****ing up this team with every move he makes. It's so sad.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote