HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev switches to #93, Guerin given #9 (Possible implications)

Old
09-15-2010, 11:06 AM
kammy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Belanger gets to choose between a Phoenix team that has very little depth and the Flyers with alot of depth. What would you choose? Hes going to the place where he will get more playing time on the 2nd line then playing 3rd line for us.

Meh. So far every single year till I could remember a rookie has made the team out of camp or into the middle of the season. Last year JVR and Bartulis, year before Giroux and Powe (and alot of Nodl), year before Downie, year before... I cant even remember that far back but theres always a player that comes up and makes it. Maybe doesnt start the season off on the team, but theres always a player that earns a spot on the team. Now I have a feeling they will look at Testwuide. Testwuide even has a video blog going on the main Flyers site. They dont do that for any rookie.

kalinski and nodl both made opening roster a few seasons ago.

i wouldnt be surprised if testwuide plays a dozen games for us this season.

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
...Carcillo is replaceable as well. Honestly, he's a cheap rate version of Sean Avery, minus the skill. Avery's good for 15 goals, 30 points a year. Carcillo is nowhere near that level and never will be. I had big hopes for Dan because I thought he could be a goal scorer, especially when you consider that he scored goals in the OHL and AHL. But he just doesn't have the mentality to go without doing something stupid. If he gets 15 to 20 goals this year, I'll be the first to apologize for doubting him, but Carcillo offers nothing to this team. Honestly, the Flyers are better off filling one of the top nine roles with a guy like Testwuide or Maroon. They can't be any worse than Avery or Powe.
dude.. did you watch any games last season?
carcillo was often the best player on the ice for us, chasing down pucks, making hits, and being a much better pest than upshall ever was. did you watch the NJ series when carcillo put the biscuit in the basket? he was out there with richards .. that says a lot about this kid's drive and skills. granted, carcillo didnt play much in the latter stages of the playoffs, but i think its because he was injured, not because the bs reasons that uneducated people say here like 'oh he was playing with too much emotion' blah blah. he was injured, period.

the question people should be asking is would you rather have steve downie over dan carcillo? i think they are very similar players, and i like them both for the roles they fill, but when you throw matt carle into the mix, its an obvious win with the moves homer made.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:13 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
kalinski and nodl both made opening roster a few seasons ago.

i wouldnt be surprised if testwuide plays a dozen games for us this season.
based on what?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:15 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
dude.. did you watch any games last season?
carcillo was often the best player on the ice for us, chasing down pucks, making hits, diving and feigning penalties, and being a much better pest than upshall ever was. did you watch the NJ series when carcillo put the biscuit in the basket? he was out there with richards .. that says a lot about this kid's drive and skills. granted, carcillo didnt play much in the latter stages of the playoffs, but i think its because he was injured, not because the bs reasons that uneducated people say here like 'oh he was playing with too much emotion' blah blah. he was injured, period.

the question people should be asking is would you rather have steve downie over dan carcillo? i think they are very similar players, and i like them both for the roles they fill, but when you throw matt carle into the mix, its an obvious win with the moves homer made.
Fixed that bit for you there.

And Carcillo was benched for whole periods because of his play/stupid penalties in some games.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
The times Carcillo was the best player on the ice were games in December and other periods where the team couldn't score if they were shooting at a soccer net.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:21 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
based on what?
based on what i said originally..
theres always 2 or 3 guys that play a dozen games each season for us due to injury, etc. a few years ago it was potulny and ruzicka, last few seasons its been kalinski and nodl (and laliberte) all getting around a dozen games each... so, based on all the hype around testwuide he's likely the new guy in that rotation, unless he explodes or theres more injuries than expected

Old
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
So you're expecting Guerin to score 20 goals while playing on the 3rd line? How do you expect that to happen?

I'd rather not have him anywhere near this team, but that doesn't look like that's going to happen. The Flyers are replacing a young, inexpensive, enery player like Powe with an aging, slowing *******. Brilliant work. Really. ****ing brilliant.

Homer is ****ing up this team with every move he makes. It's so sad.
I don't necessarily EXPECT him to get 20 but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. He'll definitely get as many as Powe would get and it's not like he is going to be a liability out on the ice. Guerin on the third line is AT LEAST as good as Powe there.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
jb**

Quote:
based on what i said originally..
theres always 2 or 3 guys that play a dozen games each season for us due to injury, etc. a few years ago it was potulny and ruzicka, last few seasons its been kalinski and nodl (and laliberte) all getting around a dozen games each... so, based on all the hype around testwuide he's likely the new guy in that rotation, unless he explodes or theres more injuries than expected
just like all the hype around Maroon i suppose. So because of all the hype he is the new guy in the rotation, really? Guy hasnt played 1 pro game yet and he is in the rotation. Wow. Potulny and Ruzicka played because the team was terrible. Ruzicka though is a guy i would love to see come back to get a shot playing in the top 9 at some point.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:28 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The times Carcillo was the best player on the ice were games in December and other periods where the team couldn't score if they were shooting at a soccer net.
im not saying carcillo is gods gift, im just saying he fills the upshall/downie role pretty good and is skillful enough to play on any line, and he will pot about a goal every 3 games for us this season. thats not too bad for approx half the cost of both upshall and downie.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:30 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
just like all the hype around Maroon i suppose. So because of all the hype he is the new guy in the rotation, really? Guy hasnt played 1 pro game yet and he is in the rotation. Wow. Potulny and Ruzicka played because the team was terrible. Ruzicka though is a guy i would love to see come back to get a shot playing in the top 9 at some point.
i hear ya.. but all i said was "i wouldnt be surprised if he played a dozen games" ..

Old
09-15-2010, 11:33 AM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't necessarily EXPECT him to get 20 but I wouldn't be shocked if he did. He'll definitely get as many as Powe would get and it's not like he is going to be a liability out on the ice. Guerin on the third line is AT LEAST as good as Powe there.
look at what recchi did last season at age 42...

Old
09-15-2010, 11:34 AM
jb**

Quote:
im not saying carcillo is gods gift, im just saying he fills the upshall/downie role pretty good and is skillful enough to play on any line, and he will pot about a goal every 3 games for us this season. thats not too bad for approx half the cost of both upshall and downie.
he doesnt fill the downie role at all. downie is head and shoudlers better and more skilled than Carcillo. The only thing they have in common is they have a short fuse and will fight. He will not pot a goal every 3 games, not even close to that.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:36 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
My problem is what happens to Powe/Kalinski/Nodl in the interim. Granted, players like them are a dime a dozen. But grooming them to step into Betts' role and keeping one or two of them with the team makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than giving that ice time to an old fart who isn't going to be around next season (God willing).

It's no different than picking up Matt ****ing Walker and giving him ice time over Bartulis. It's stupid, it's a waste of young, cheap talent, and all you're doing is stunting their development when Gawd knows the Flyers are going to need that cheap labour in the next couple of years.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:37 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Gawd knows the Flyers are going to need that cheap labour in the next couple of years.
Yeah, but Holmgren doesn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
My problem is what happens to Powe/Kalinski/Nodl in the interim. Granted, players like them are a dime a dozen. But grooming them to step into Betts' role and keeping one or two of them with the team makes a hell of a lot more sense to me than giving that ice time to an old fart who isn't going to be around next season (God willing).

It's no different than picking up Matt ****ing Walker and giving him ice time over Bartulis. It's stupid, it's a waste of young, cheap talent, and all you're doing is stunting their development when Gawd knows the Flyers are going to need that cheap labour in the next couple of years.
When you are in a win now mind set (which the Flyers CLEARLY are), that is the complete opposite of what you want to do. That is what you want to do if you are building up to have that Cup contender team. When you have a Cup contender like we have now, I would rather have better players on the ice at all times rather than players that will be better in the future. Bartulis was a liability at points last season. Making him the 7th defenseman or sending him to the A is not a bad thing for this team. For his development, maybe. For the Flyers this season, no. Same thing with Powe. Yeah he is fast and forechecks and plays D, but guess what, so do a lot of other players on this team. He won't be missed this season. And if someone gets hurt, guess who gets called up or is unscratched (depending on if he is sent down, waived, or just healthy scratched, etc). Guerin is better than Powe, and all the other prospects that are potentially going to be called up. It may stunt their development, but if it makes this team better now, I'm ok with it. And for all we know, Guerin could come out at camp and blow it and not even make it (though that seems unlikely).

Old
09-15-2010, 11:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

When you are in a win now mind set (which the Flyers CLEARLY are), that is the complete opposite of what you want to do. That is what you want to do if you are building up to have that Cup contender team. When you have a Cup contender like we have now, I would rather have better players on the ice at all times rather than players that will be better in the future. Bartulis was a liability at points last season. Making him the 7th defenseman or sending him to the A is not a bad thing for this team. For his development, maybe. For the Flyers this season, no. Same thing with Powe. Yeah he is fast and forechecks and plays D, but guess what, so do a lot of other players on this team. He won't be missed this season. And if someone gets hurt, guess who gets called up or is unscratched (depending on if he is sent down, waived, or just healthy scratched, etc). Guerin is better than Powe, and all the other prospects that are potentially going to be called up. It may stunt their development, but if it makes this team better now, I'm ok with it. And for all we know, Guerin could come out at camp and blow it and not even make it (though that seems unlikely).

Old
09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Old
09-15-2010, 11:44 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Old
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
jb**

Quote:

Again it shows the lack of confidence they have in those players or it shows they believe they cant get the job done(which is sad since they drafted them). They should have let those guys fight it out in camp. If during camp they then determine they wont cut it then you go sign a vet player. These kids now they pretty much have no shot to make the team barring a great run in camp which they may not be capable of producing. Signing guerin seals their fate to make the team. It wold hurt to go a few eeks into the season seeing what on of them can do. The funny thing is htough i think nodl and kalinski make like 800k if they make the team, which is more than what guerin SHOULD get.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:45 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

Old
09-15-2010, 11:46 AM
jb**

Quote:

Again it shows the lack of confidence they have in those players or it shows they believe they cant get the job done(which is sad since they drafted them). They should have let those guys fight it out in camp. If during camp they then determine they wont cut it then you go sign a vet player. These kids now they pretty much have no shot to make the team barring a great run in camp which they may not be capable of producing. Signing guerin seals their fate to make the team. It would not hurt to go a few weeks into the season seeing what one of them can do. The funny thing is htough i think nodl and kalinski make like 800k if they make the team, which is more than what guerin SHOULD get.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:47 AM
jb**

Quote:

Again it shows the lack of confidence they have in those players or it shows they believe they cant get the job done(which is sad since they drafted them). They should have let those guys fight it out in camp. If during camp they then determine they wont cut it then you go sign a vet player. These kids now they pretty much have no shot to make the team barring a great run in camp which they may not be capable of producing. Signing guerin seals their fate to make the team. It would not hurt to go a few weeks into the season seeing what one of them can do. The funny thing is htough i think nodl and kalinski make like 800k if they make the team, which is more than what guerin SHOULD get.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Centauris*

if the Flyers trade Carcillo to fit this washed up **** on the team, i'll point a shotgun at my chest and smack dat ass

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 11:51 AM
jb**

Quote:

Again it shows the lack of confidence they have in those players or it shows they believe they cant get the job done(which is sad since they drafted them). They should have let those guys fight it out in camp. If during camp they then determine they wont cut it then you go sign a vet player. These kids now they pretty much have no shot to make the team barring a great run in camp which they may not be capable of producing. Signing guerin seals their fate to make the team. It would not hurt to go a few weeks into the season seeing what one of them can do. The funny thing is though i think nodl and kalinski make like 800k if they make the team, which is more than what guerin SHOULD get.

Old
09-15-2010, 12:01 PM
McNasty

I think Guerin is a better fit with Richards and Giroux than Carcillo. Powe is an ideal 13th forward, not to mention nobody on the phantoms has proven a capable medium term fill in. God forbid one of our wingers goes down for 3-6 weeks you are looking at Nodl replacing him. I like Nodl the same way I like Powe, on the 4th line and on the PK.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote