HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Hypothetical Nashville-Luongo trade

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Hypothetical Nashville-Luongo trade

To NAS: Roberto Luongo

To FLA: Kimmo Timonen - we get the goalie of our future ... yet we have to give up one of our all-star dmen - 4 year age difference ... we might have to add a pick or something

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=140227 ... my Luongo - Timonen trade proposal is on page 3

Old
04-22-2005, 04:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer

To FLA: Kimmo Timonen - we get the goalie of our future ... yet we have to give up one of our all-star dmen - 4 year age difference ... we might have to add a pick or something

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=140227 ... my Luongo - Timonen trade proposal is on page 3
i'd do it in a heartbeat, but i'm thinking timonen alone doesn't get it done. we'd have to be throwing in a pretty decent prospect as well.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:13 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer

My first reaction was no way. Then I thought about it and for a fleeting microbe I thought maybe. The biggest "yes" was because of not only Timonen's age, but Vokoun's too. How long does Vokoun have left?

But I also think back to a conversation on here somewhere (may have been the "other" board) about who the Preds 'franchise' player was and Triggrman suggested Timonen was our guy. And his points were valid. It would be heart breaking, but what would you do with Vokoun? Assumedly Luongo would be our #1 goalie if that happened.

I suppose if I pull out of the whole thing and look closer at that word hypothetical, yes, I would trade Timonen straight up for Luongo. Hypothetically.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Jacob

Florida gets fleeced.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:16 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I'd not only do the trade, I'd add in the necessary components(because there's no way in hell one d-man, albeit an underrated all star gets it done)

the proposal(and it would take this, at least) i'd make...

Timonen
Vokoun(wouldn't need him as a backup, and florida would need a starter)
ONE OF Shishkanov or Upshall

Old
04-22-2005, 04:25 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
My first reaction was no way. Then I thought about it and for a fleeting microbe I thought maybe. The biggest "yes" was because of not only Timonen's age, but Vokoun's too. How long does Vokoun have left?

But I also think back to a conversation on here somewhere (may have been the "other" board) about who the Preds 'franchise' player was and Triggrman suggested Timonen was our guy. And his points were valid. It would be heart breaking, but what would you do with Vokoun? Assumedly Luongo would be our #1 goalie if that happened.

I suppose if I pull out of the whole thing and look closer at that word hypothetical, yes, I would trade Timonen straight up for Luongo. Hypothetically.
vokoun is almost three years older than luongo who just turned 26...

no way florida would even sniff at timonen for luongo straight up....if you're going to hypothetically trade for a hypothetical luongo,you might as well begin by offering a hypothetical vokoun + other players....but in reality i couldn't come up with a scenario where the preds would be willing to pay the unbelievably high price florida would be demanding for their franchise goalie...would probably gut the preds to offer what they'd ask...(vokoun and timonen,probably at the minimum...then florida would probably insist on top prospects on top of that)

Old
04-22-2005, 04:28 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I'd not only do the trade, I'd add in the necessary components(because there's no way in hell one d-man, albeit an underrated all star gets it done)

Timonen
If I really thought Loungo was a fair upgrade over Vokoun right now, I'd throw in both Shish and Upshall. I'm not a good enough hockey mind (especially with goaltending) to make that conclusion.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If I really thought Loungo was a fair upgrade over Vokoun right now, I'd throw in both Shish and Upshall. I'm not a good enough hockey mind (especially with goaltending) to make that conclusion.

with center ice last year, i saw Luongo keep a horrendous Florida team in games they had no business being in. If Vokoun were always "on," I'd say that there's no need for such a trade, but when Vokoun is OFF...as you know, man, is he off. i just don't think you can pass on a trade that lands you the most highly regarded young goalie in the game, a guy that's represented team canada several times now, and with Brodeur getting up there in years, is poised to take over.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:35 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
with center ice last year, i saw Luongo keep a horrendous Florida team in games they had no business being in. If Vokoun were always "on," I'd say that there's no need for such a trade, but when Vokoun is OFF...as you know, man, is he off. i just don't think you can pass on a trade that lands you the most highly regarded young goalie in the game, a guy that's represented team canada several times now, and with Brodeur getting up there in years, is poised to take over.
But would a package of Timonen, Vokoun, Shish, and Upshall be enough? I would imagine Florida would like that package as I think all four are legit shots to make the team. Timonen would be a nice partner with Jay-Bo.

Old
04-22-2005, 04:37 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
But would a package of Timonen, Vokoun, Shish, and Upshall be enough? I would imagine Florida would like that package as I think all four are legit shots to make the team. Timonen would be a nice partner with Jay-Bo.
it's a legit number one goalie\arguably a top ten goalie
a number 1 d-man that has consistently been near the top of the league in defensive points
the admirals best player when healthy
a question mark scorer that can be red hot or ice cold

for

top 3 goalie

Old
04-22-2005, 11:43 PM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
it's a legit number one goalie\arguably a top ten goalie
a number 1 d-man that has consistently been near the top of the league in defensive points
the admirals best player when healthy
a question mark scorer that can be red hot or ice cold

for

top 3 goalie
So I guess the question is would Poile make that trade? I don't think so, there aren't any picks involved.

Old
04-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

Timonen
Even then, I can't see why Florida would even touch the deal....Luongo is somone that should define untradeable.

Honestly, though, Vokoun was so good last year in the playoffs......there is no reason not to continue to ride him.

04-23-2005, 11:31 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
Im having a hard time imagining a Vokoun-less Nashville squad.

For Loungo, If I had to throw in a prospect, Id send Upshall in a heartbeat

Old
04-23-2005, 11:53 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars
Im having a hard time imagining a Vokoun-less Nashville squad.

For Loungo, If I had to throw in a prospect, Id send Upshall in a heartbeat

at 3 mil a year, i'd not be surprised to see a vokoun-less nashville by the time his contract is up.

Old
04-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
at 3 mil a year, i'd not be surprised to see a vokoun-less nashville by the time his contract is up.
Really? 3 mil a year for a goalie that was gold in the playoffs and can play 70 games is nothing.

He is a heck of a lot better than going into the post season with Cloutier or Aebischer. He is making right at what he should if not less....

Worth the money, IMO.

Old
04-23-2005, 12:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Really? 3 mil a year for a goalie that was gold in the playoffs and can play 70 games is nothing.

He is a heck of a lot better than going into the post season with Cloutier or Aebischer. He is making right at what he should if not less....

Worth the money, IMO.

i don't disagree, but historically..and realistically...regardless of any CBA, we're not going to be a huge money team. I believe this is Vokoun's payday with us,and the team hopes that our "goaltender of the future," finley, is ready by the time Vokoun's contract runs out. Can you see us, after these three years, re-upping Vokoun for a year or two at 5 million per? I can't.

Old
04-23-2005, 01:10 PM
handtrick

Using that analogy why would you trade for Luongo if you were Nashville? He is 26 yrs old already making $2.4 mill vs Vokoun at 29 yrs and $3.0 mill for 2 more years. If you aren't going to pay for a $4-5 mill a year goalie....what do you think Luongo is going to be demanding at his next contract?

Also, I don't know that Luongo is going to be quite as awesome as he has been with decreased equipment sizing that is probably coming down the road.

No, for me keep Vokoun for 2-4 years [I too have trouble imagining a "Vokoun-less Preds]....groom Finley and Lassila, possibly trade for a goalie prospect with higher upsided potential than either of them, such as Ryan Miller if they flounder.

Use Timonen, Sullivan [if he can't be signed], Hutch, Upshall, and Shish in some kind of package to land that top line center that we desparately need.

Old
04-24-2005, 05:47 PM
PredsFan77*

Send a message via ICQ to PredsFan77* Send a message via AIM to PredsFan77*
In a heartbeat...The Panthers would never do it though...

Last edited by PredsFan77: 04-24-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old
04-24-2005, 06:49 PM
hfboardsuser

What about Suter for Luongo? I'm assuming that's the very least Florida would ask.

Old
04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg
What about Suter for Luongo? I'm assuming that's the very least Florida would ask.
I wouldn't do it. Suter could be to defensemen what Luongo is to goaltending.

The difference...I can see our team getting by without Luongo...

...I can't see them getting by without Suter.

Old
04-24-2005, 07:25 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I wouldn't do it. Suter could be to defensemen what Luongo is to goaltending.

The difference...I can see our team getting by without Luongo...

...I can't see them getting by without Suter.

If we had a less stable goalie situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the difference between Vokoun and Luongo is not as great as what Suter could be. Not at the cost of Luongo's soon to be massive salary. His next contract could potentially eat up 1/5 of the cap room, or at the very least, 1/5 of what we are willing to pay for our whole team. I could see him wanting 6-7 million in the new market. And what happens if the CBA pushes the UFA age down to around 28? That exposes Luongo. Too much risk, in my opinion, to jump on that yet. Once the CBA is settled, I'd reevaluate the deal.

Old
04-24-2005, 07:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
If we had a less stable goalie situation, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the difference between Vokoun and Luongo is not as great as what Suter could be. Not at the cost of Luongo's soon to be massive salary. His next contract could potentially eat up 1/5 of the cap room, or at the very least, 1/5 of what we are willing to pay for our whole team. I could see him wanting 7+ million in a more open market. And what happens if the CBA pushes the UFA age down to around 27/28. That exposes Luongo. Too much risk, in my opinion, to jump on that yet. Once the CBA is settled, I'd reevaluate the deal.

exactly my point.

Closed Thread