HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal agrees to terms. 5 years, $3.975M per year

Old
09-15-2010, 02:30 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yboldt14 View Post
EJ Hradek Tweet:

Year 1: $3.1 million

Year 2: $3.675 million

Year 3: $3.775 million

Year 4: $3.875 million

Year 5: $5.45 million

Hradek also says that there isnít a No-Move or No-Trade clause in the contract
A player is not eligible for a restriction clause until they reach group III age/status. The last season of Staal's contract is when he is eligible for a restriction clause.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
We broke this yesterday amid all the "********" remarks.

Anyone else ready to eat crow?

http://nhlhotstove.com/report-rangers-sign-marc-staal/
LOL. All sorts of actual credible sites had it going down in the next couple of days as well. Good job reading the internet and making an educated guess. Enjoy your blind squirrel moment.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:33 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

really good contract. 5 years is solid and the numbers are fair. well done.

now he can settle in and start earning that money on the ice.

and when its done in 5 yrs, hell still be young enough to trade for a centerman for gaby

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

Let's see what happens with the next CBA before we talk about what Staal's next contract will cost. He could very well be only worth 4 mil or so on the open market under the next CBA.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Yeah the Rangers are playing the season with 6 D after Torts couldn't stop talking about wanting another defenseman on the roster so he could sit a player for bad play and the Rangers are going to carry bonuses over the 11-12 salary cap.

Quote:
Seems fairly obvious that unless Wade Redden plays terrific in camp/pre-season, NYR will get req'd cap relief by assigning him to Hartford.
https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/24586865480

McKenzie broke the signing. Kyper reported the term as 5 years. McKenzie reported the $$$ figures. Hradek reported the contract breakdown. Community effort.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Great deal

Really happy with the term and money, to me anything under $4m was a great deal.

Glad this is all over

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:40 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Estimated cost to re-sign Staal and Girardi was between $7-$7.5 million. Cap hits. $7.3 million. $3.975 million for Staal and $3.325 million for Girardi.

Old
09-15-2010, 02:42 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
Mark my words!

This contract is not nearly long enough. at 28 he will be just getting into his prime when this contract will be expiring - he will then cost us an two arms and two legs.

I would have rather paid more to tie him for 10.

Who knows what the cap space will be in 5 or 10 years or if there is any cap at all.
So given today's restrictions we should have gone for max. it will be cheap in couple years time. We would have bought a controlled inflation.
Like booking a 10 year mortgage over a 5 year mortgage when inflation is at all time low.
That all well and good to think this, but theres two sides to negotiating a contract. Im sure Sather wanted longer but the Staal camp wasnt willing to do that. It seems to me that Staal was willing to give up one year eligibility but no more than that. He wants to get paid. Hes smart.

Slats did what he could for this contract. A cap hit under 4 for a first pairing defenseman is going to be great in any cap environment. You may turn out to be correct in 5 years, but right now the Rangers made a good deal here.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
That all well and good to think this, but theres two sides to negotiating a contract. Im sure Sather wanted longer but the Staal camp wasnt willing to do that. It seems to me that Staal was willing to give up one year eligibility but no more than that. He wants to get paid. Hes smart.

Slats did what he could for this contract. A cap hit under 4 for a first pairing defenseman is going to be great in any cap environment. You may turn out to be correct in 5 years, but right now the Rangers made a good deal here.
precisely!
it has to work for both parties. I am not negative about the trade. I am just fearful that we might see him leave just
when he will be reaching his best.

My fear that by 2015 we will not have enough space to book his just as he is getting into prime years.
I would have liked to see him locked up for longer 5 x 350.000 cap space would have been worth spending IMO.

but maybe its not the time to feel blue.......well done!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Unholy
waifu

Congrats on YOUR rfa signing

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Yeah the Rangers are playing the season with 6 D after Torts couldn't stop talking about wanting another defenseman on the roster so he could sit a player for bad play and the Rangers are going to carry bonuses over the 11-12 salary cap.
People were just speculating ways that the Rangers could work the cap out if for some reason they don't want to send Redden down.

No need to get all crazy about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy London Ranger View Post
precisely!
it has to work for both parties. I am not negative about the trade. I am just fearful that we might see him leave just
when he will be reaching his best.

My fear that by 2015 we will not have enough space to book his just as he is getting into prime years.
I would have liked to see him locked up for longer 5 x 350.000 cap space would have been worth spending IMO.

but maybe its not the time to feel blue.......well done!
There's not a single player on this team that's signed beyond 5 years at this point. Worrying that the Rangers won't have the cap space to re-sign him is a bit silly, IMO, since we have absolutely no clue what things will look like, what the cap will be. The only thing we know is that the Rangers currently have no one under contract at all for the year Staal will need to be re-signed, so of course they have room at the moment

Of course there could be some worry he'll test free agency, but if a player is determined to do that, you're not going to be able to force him to sign a contract now that will eat up all those years.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Glad that's over with!

I think this will turn out to be one hell of a contract for us. Couldn't be happier (unless it was longer obviously).

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:09 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

That's an excellent deal. Very happy with it.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

5 years is a long time too. At his age a lot can change over that period of time. He gets a girfriend, marries, buys a place, has a kid possibly... Locking him up that long, even if its 5 years is a good thing.

He and his agent may be looking down the road jonesing for that UFA summer (if thats the case), but things could change and he might want to resign here before that for a number of reasons.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:14 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Put me down as one of the few who really just feel the deal is okay.

Before I get flamed, I would like to say that I'm very happy with the cap hit. Sather did a good job waiting it out and getting him at only a little under 4M.

I'm really not happy with the amount of years though. If Staal was more like 26 or 27, I would be ecstatic with this deal. But, he's still 23 and he'll only be 28 when his contract expires. That is usually the age where a player hits his prime, other teams will know that then and they'll be willing to pay for his services since he'll be a UFA. Besides other teams bidding, who's to say that he doesn't want to play with his brothers? I have a very bad feeling that we're going to lose him once this contract is up. Considering he will be 28 by then, it will be a massive blow to this team, and he might be very hard to replace (we'll see though).

I would have much rather seen a deal where he is still an RFA when it ends. Either that, or a much longer deal that re-signs him for 8 or 9 seasons (with a higher cap hit of course). I think Sather might have explored those options, but they didn't interest Staal or his agent for that matter. Which, leads me even more to believe that he will be gone when his contract is up.

I really hope he starts to love this organization more then he already does by the time his contract up. Either that, or we become a contender by then which might convince him to sign another deal through his prime years.

Sorry to come here and be all negative about it, but ever since seeing the terms, the amount of years has really bothered me. Other then that, I'm definitely pleased with how all of this worked out considering our cap situation.

Here's to hoping he gets re-signed once this deal is up!

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

Ok so I come home from school and I saw this, I dont think i've ever been this happy in my life! Wow! By the end of next year he will be worth 6 mill what a great deal !

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
Chimp

Really nice deal. Great number of years, acceptable cap hit, with good potential to also look great. I like this one alot more than the Girardi contract.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:21 PM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Everyone knew he would be re-signed. We were just worried about the terms of the contract.

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Eh, wish it was a few years more. Not sure I enjoy only 5 years.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:30 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenfold View Post
Likewise!

and LOL at the user name Purple McIlwrath!

TrojanRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

An how many RFA get over 5 years? 1%?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
Ok so I come home from school and I saw this, I dont think i've ever been this happy in my life! Wow! By the end of next year he will be worth 6 mill what a great deal !
I admire your enthusiasm!

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:06 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

All these users that were hoping for a longer term deal, I guarantee you wouldn't have been happy with the cap hit required to make the contract 6 or 7 years... Consider that and the fact that even if Sather wanted to lock Staal up for longer, that doesn't fly unless the player and his agent agree to do so... There's a lot of uncertainty on the player's end as to what his worth will be on the open market 4 years out, so they're not necessarily going to readily agree to what appears to be a big raise now, at the expense of money they could have earned via FA a few years out... May have cost a $5+ mil cap hit to extend the contract beyond the 5 years he signed for....

I like the term... if Marc had signed a 2 or 3 year deal I would have been pissed.... 4 year deal I could have lived with but 5 is even better.... All in all it seems like a good/fair deal for both parties.... That seems to be the general consensus on all the media reports...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Nice. Glad it got done.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
OverTheCap

Staal actually gave up 1 UFA year? But I thought he wanted to bolt ASAP so he could play with his brothers in the great hockey state of North Carolina?!

Kidding aside, I'm very pleased with this contract. Staal could very well end up being a bargain at this price in a year or two, especially if his offense keeps developing.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote