HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Florida Panther's Rookie Camp 2010 Opening Day (Photos and Video)

Old
09-15-2010, 02:14 PM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Re: Gudbranson (bolded part). This is what a lot of people don't seem to realize about him. I see on the prospects forum people who have seen him maybe a handful of times already labeling him as a "stay at home shutdown defenseman", but almost in a derogatory sense suggesting he has zero offensive ability. Anyone who watches him even semi-regularly will see he does, in fact, have good offensive ability. His passing is one of his strengths. His passing ability is much better than your typical "stay at home but has no offense" types that some seem to believe he'll be.

It might not happen overnight, and it might not be in the next couple of seasons. But I'll go out on a limb right now and say that there are going to be a lot of people surprised at just how good Gudbranson is at *both* ends of the rink, when all is said and done. There's a reason he draws comparisons to a guy like Shea Weber rather than Anton Volchenkov. I'll leave it at that.
Kingston Frontenacs fan here...just want to echo your comments about Gudbranson. I think too many people pay too much attention to the stats. Erik has had injury/illness problems that have resulted in lower numbers, but more importantly his time on the PP has really been limited with the Fronts because Gilmour used him so much during the PK and other key defensive zone face-offs. Lashoff and Doherty generally saw more PP time and as a result their offensive numbers were better (proportionally to their skill levels).

I have been a huge Gudbranson fan since the first time I saw him play, largely because of his hockey smarts. he generally doesn't put himself out of position to make a big hit so you won't see him crush guys too often, but he outmuscles his opponents regularly. his first pass abilities are some of the best I've seen in the OHL and he has a howitzer of a shot when he gets it off. his offensive instincts will improve when he's challenged with an offensive role.

so, what are the chances of him being returned to the Kingston Frontenacs this year? I really hope their good, because without him, we're going to look pretty thin on the blue line. I hope Erik's brother is half as good as Erik is.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:12 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post

so, what are the chances of him being returned to the Kingston Frontenacs this year? I really hope their good, because without him, we're going to look pretty thin on the blue line.
About 95%. We've got a full complement of defencemen ahead of him on the depth chart in McCabe, Wideman, Allen, Kulikov, Garrison, Ellerby, Weaver, Paetsch. He also apparently looked out of shape on the first day of camp.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
About 95%. We've got a full complement of defencemen ahead of him on the depth chart in McCabe, Wideman, Allen, Kulikov, Garrison, Ellerby, Weaver, Paetsch. He also apparently looked out of shape on the first day of camp.
excellent. i didn't realize you guys are so deep in defensive prospects.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:35 PM
vektorious

I agree with him looking out of shape...I was there the first day and he was more tired than any other prospect....He really faded towards the end and had his hands on his knees whenever he wasnt skating..

vektorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
excellent. i didn't realize you guys are so deep in defensive prospects.
We're not, really. Of that list only Garrison and Ellerby are considered prospects. And Garrison is just barely so.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote