HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New skater, new gear...

Old
09-15-2010, 05:13 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

vCash: 500
New skater, new gear...

So after having moved to Colorado after having lived in a part of Florida where the word 'ice' is about equivalent in usage to a question mark, I've decided to take up ice skating (and hopefully rec hockey, eventually). Yesterday, I picked up some used gear. This includes:

CCM Helmet (with cage, in quite good shape. Removed the cage for now)
CCM hockey pants
Mission Amp 6 skates still in good shape
Bauer shinguards in decent shape
Sherwood elbow pads in decent shape
Plus I have some snow gloves that should make for decent gloves for now

Seeing as I'm about as stable as a drunken kangaroo on skates, how much would someone here recommend wearing for lessons? Though I haven't fallen yet, I'm still getting used to the idea of going forward, and stopping is all but non-existent. Seeing as I'll likely be working in these things in lessons, and that I'm looking for work and don't want to look like I've been in a bar fight in any potential interviews, what should I protect?

I was figuring at least the pants and the noggin' protector.

Mantha Poodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
JagrBomb
Rookie User

I wouldn't worry about the pants. Wear your shin guards to protect your knees, elbow pads and your helmet if you're worried about your head. A mouth guard probably wouldn't hurt, either. Just make sure that when you fall, you don't try to catch yourself with your hands or you'll end up overextending something.

JagrBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrollins1 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the pants. Wear your shin guards to protect your knees, elbow pads and your helmet if you're worried about your head. A mouth guard probably wouldn't hurt, either. Just make sure that when you fall, you don't try to catch yourself with your hands or you'll end up overextending something.
Mouth guard will be something I need to pick up.

As for falling, I've learned in other things always to fall on my side or forearms, never on hands. Catching with forearms = good, hands = bad.

Old
09-15-2010, 05:21 PM
Acew61

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
So after having moved to Colorado after having lived in a part of Florida where the word 'ice' is about equivalent in usage to a question mark, I've decided to take up ice skating (and hopefully rec hockey, eventually). Yesterday, I picked up some used gear. This includes:

CCM Helmet (with cage, in quite good shape. Removed the cage for now)
CCM hockey pants
Mission Amp 6 skates still in good shape
Bauer shinguards in decent shape
Sherwood elbow pads in decent shape
Plus I have some snow gloves that should make for decent gloves for now

Seeing as I'm about as stable as a drunken kangaroo on skates, how much would someone here recommend wearing for lessons? Though I haven't fallen yet, I'm still getting used to the idea of going forward, and stopping is all but non-existent. Seeing as I'll likely be working in these things in lessons, and that I'm looking for work and don't want to look like I've been in a bar fight in any potential interviews, what should I protect?

I was figuring at least the pants and the noggin' protector.
Just regular skating lessons? If there's no hockey involved just go skates and the helmet if you feel it necessary. If after a lesson or two and you feel like you're holding back because you're worried about injury then maybe put on some more gear to take it out of your mind. Unless you spectacularly wipe out most falls aren't nearly as painful as they may look.

As to the gloves; get a pair of real hockey gloves for playing. The first time someone clips your hands you'll realize your snow gloves were a baaaad idea.

Acew61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:25 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acew61 View Post
Just regular skating lessons? If there's no hockey involved just go skates and the helmet if you feel it necessary. If after a lesson or two and you feel like you're holding back because you're worried about injury then maybe put on some more gear to take it out of your mind. Unless you spectacularly wipe out most falls aren't nearly as painful as they may look.

As to the gloves; get a pair of real hockey gloves for playing. The first time someone clips your hands you'll realize your snow gloves were a baaaad idea.
The gloves are just for skating (maybe) if I feel I need them. If I decide I want to pick up hockey after lessons, I fully intend on getting full hockey gear. Hockey gear may not be terribly cheap even used, but it's sure waaaay cheaper than a hospital/doctor bill.

Helmet's pretty much a given for me.

Old
09-15-2010, 05:49 PM
dabeechman

When I started skating a few months back I did it just at public skate and without any gear. I found that I held myself back because falling on your ass is more painful than you might think. I never fell on my knees when learning, but I did fall backwards on more than one occasion.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 06:42 PM
beth

I've been learning how to skate recently too, and I'm slowly adding the gear piece by piece. I fall ALL THE TIME. I wore my helmet from the get-go, and I'm glad I did because I've bonked my head at least twice already. Elbow pads were next, because one day I decided to work on backwards skating when the ice was all bumpy as heck and my elbows paid the price. Next I got shins, but they were too small and I need to take them back still. One thing I needed badly was wrist guards, because apparently I suck at falling and always seem to stick my hands down as my first reaction. So I just got some of those the other day. But it sounds like you've learned that lesson already! I'm going to get pants next, because I'm up to transitions, and that seems to be very conducive to falling on my ass.

Sometimes I feel like a total dork doing the public skate wearing protection. But then I fall hard and don't get hurt and it makes me feel less dorky. And I know I'm pushing myself to try new things because of the protection, so I will definitely recommend it for noobs. Especially adult noobs that fall farther and harder. If you don't get hurt, that means you'll be able to go to the rink more and get more practice in.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Mantha Poodoo
Playoff Beard

Yea, I feel you there, beth. And with the rink having public skates every (or almost every) day, and the lessons giving you a free pass for the 6 weeks of training, I'll be going there as much as possible.

Also, the other reason I loaded up on protection is no medical insurance, heh. I think after today's lesson (though I didn't fall) I'll be wearing more protection than just the hard hat (when I'm working more on stops and backwards skating).

Old
09-16-2010, 12:06 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wheeled Winger View Post
Mouth guard will be something I need to pick up.

As for falling, I've learned in other things always to fall on my side or forearms, never on hands. Catching with forearms = good, hands = bad.
Fall on your butt if you can. Hockey pants have a good amount of tailbone and hip protection.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
When I started skating a few months back I did it just at public skate and without any gear. I found that I held myself back because falling on your ass is more painful than you might think. I never fell on my knees when learning, but I did fall backwards on more than one occasion.
Yep, when you have the equipment and don't fear falling as much, you can push yourself beyond what your "safe zone" is and learning comes much quicker. I started off throwing on some vollyball kneepads my wife had on under my jeans, and quickly realized the benefit, and grabbed the hockey gear, even before I was sure I wanted to play.

Learning to skate helped me lose a LOT of weight, so I keep my "fat" jeans around to throw over my gear at a public skate.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote