HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa to host the All-Star Game in 2012.

Old
09-15-2010, 01:52 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by This View Post
Who cares what the scoreboard looks like? It works and does it's job... it keeps score.
As long as I need a telescope to make out the replays, I'd rather stay home than go to a game. Watching replays on that thing is like watching my cat play bat a toy around from the other side of the apartment.

Buck Aki Berg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:02 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Who cares what the scoreboard looks like? It works and does it's job... it keeps score.
HOW DARE YOU!?

Look, when you compare ours to all the arena's around the league, us and detroit have the worst ones. We are either 29th or 30th in jumbotrons. We're hosting an all star game, shouldn't we spend a little money on a new scoreboard?

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:04 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
HOW DARE YOU!?

Look, when you compare ours to all the arena's around the league, us and detroit have the worst ones. We are either 29th or 30th in jumbotrons. We're hosting an all star game, shouldn't we spend a little money on a new scoreboard?
I don't see the point really. We replace the board, it's outdated again in 5 years. I could care less about what other teams are doing, the game is on the ice, and that's where I focus. If people are going to poo poo a franchise because they don't like the scoreboard, then let them do it, they look foolish.

This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
great1

All-star logo!

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
ITs a little too X-Meny for my liking

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:23 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
I don't see the point really. We replace the board, it's outdated again in 5 years. I could care less about what other teams are doing, the game is on the ice, and that's where I focus. If people are going to poo poo a franchise because they don't like the scoreboard, then let them do it, they look foolish.
Oh, we're supposed to focus on the ice when we go to games? Someone should have told me this sooner.

A new scoreboard would simply enhance the experience of going to games. No one goes and stares at the thing for 3 hours, don't be stupid. It's a part of the arena that's outdated and it's time to replace it. Simple as that.

Kekumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by great1 View Post
All-star logo!

I like it. A small Canadian flag on the Peace Tower would have been nice, but it will look good on the jerseys next year.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 06:06 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Probably one of the best all-star logos

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 06:24 PM
M4TR1X
HFB Partner

Season ticket holders of this season get first dibs on the tickets for the 2012 All Star game.

I heard that on CTV News this evening.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Ek65

From Garrioch's twitter:
Senators owner Eugene Melnyk indicated there won't be a new scoreboard at Scotiabank Place for the 2012 NHL all star game.

Ek65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:15 PM
GK
Not Jeeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek65 View Post
From Garrioch's twitter:
Senators owner Eugene Melnyk indicated there won't be a new scoreboard at Scotiabank Place for the 2012 NHL all star game.

Thanks for bursting my bubble
By the way, why is this an option? --->

GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
Oh, we're supposed to focus on the ice when we go to games? Someone should have told me this sooner.

A new scoreboard would simply enhance the experience of going to games. No one goes and stares at the thing for 3 hours, don't be stupid. It's a part of the arena that's outdated and it's time to replace it. Simple as that.
I don't think it would enhance the experience. Make it more aesthetically pleasing? Most would say yes. But it's really a non-issue, seeing as we have a perfectly functioning board as it is. I'm also not being stupid, stupid is thinking that a new scoreboard that will probably cost a large sum of money (albeit small in the grand scheme of things) is all of a sudden going to make a game more pleasing to attend.

As for the aesthetics, I think the new ones look terrible anyways. They are essentially just a box of TV's which lack the charm of the older boards.

Old
09-15-2010, 07:37 PM
saskriders
ColinGreening's#1fan

I live in Calgary and the dome got a new one a couple years ago much easier to see from the 300 section I remember going to a game where the sens came (and lost ) I was in the 300s and could see the jumbotron great before it was hard to see from that distance

saskriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ek65 View Post
From Garrioch's twitter:

What a joke.

Guess we're holding out for UHTV, should be only 10 more years if we're lucky.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_H...ion_Television

Last edited by Wham City: 09-15-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 07:44 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

I like it.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 08:40 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn Shadow View Post
Season ticket holders of this season get first dibs on the tickets for the 2012 All Star game.

I heard that on CTV News this evening.
I may or may not remember correctly, but I think it can be pretty hard for regular fans to get tickets to an All-Star game as a lot of the seats are given out by the league to sponsors and what-not (maybe the prospect of Ottawa in the dead of winter will work in our favour). I don't think season ticket holders are even guaranteed their own seats for the game.

The skills competition holds the most interest for me personally, but I think you have to buy a package. I'm sure they won't be cheap.

If all else fails, I think there's always a Fan Fest.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:21 PM
M4TR1X
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
I may or may not remember correctly, but I think it can be pretty hard for regular fans to get tickets to an All-Star game as a lot of the seats are given out by the league to sponsors and what-not (maybe the prospect of Ottawa in the dead of winter will work in our favour). I don't think season ticket holders are even guaranteed their own seats for the game.

The skills competition holds the most interest for me personally, but I think you have to buy a package. I'm sure they won't be cheap.

If all else fails, I think there's always a Fan Fest.
Season ticket holders aren't even guaranteed a seat. I said they have first dibs at the tickets meaning they get first shot to buy when they do go on sale.

I can't make the Fan Fest this year unfortunately and I don't think it would be near as exciting as the All Star Weekend.

M4TR1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Constantine
In hoc signo vinces

Awesome great for the city of Ottawa.

Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
Quote:
I don't think it would enhance the experience. Make it more aesthetically pleasing? Most would say yes. But it's really a non-issue, seeing as we have a perfectly functioning board as it is. I'm also not being stupid, stupid is thinking that a new scoreboard that will probably cost a large sum of money (albeit small in the grand scheme of things) is all of a sudden going to make a game more pleasing to attend.

As for the aesthetics, I think the new ones look terrible anyways. They are essentially just a box of TV's which lack the charm of the older boards.
If it was a non-issue, people wouldn't have been complaining about it for 2-3 years now. Melnyk/Leeder have addressed it when talking to the media. Maybe it's not necessarily an "issue", if you will, but people obviously care about it. I don't see how it's not going to make games more pleasing to attend. People aren't going to go just see it, that's not the point, it's simply a nice addition to the arena (like a new sign or statue out front).

Besides, what difference does it make to you if they add it? Are you going to complain that it's too big or something? I don't see any negatives in getting a new scoreboard other than maybe cost.

Old
09-15-2010, 11:52 PM
This
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post
If it was a non-issue, people wouldn't have been complaining about it for 2-3 years now. Melnyk/Leeder have addressed it when talking to the media. Maybe it's not necessarily an "issue", if you will, but people obviously care about it. I don't see how it's not going to make games more pleasing to attend. People aren't going to go just see it, that's not the point, it's simply a nice addition to the arena (like a new sign or statue out front).

Besides, what difference does it make to you if they add it? Are you going to complain that it's too big or something? I don't see any negatives in getting a new scoreboard other than maybe cost.
Clearly people aren't going to go just to see it.

To answer your rhetorical questions, What difference does it make to you if it remains the same? Are you going to keep complaining until it gets replaced (size has absolutely nothing to do with my argument) I really don't see any positives in getting a new one either( that aren't completely pointless). I know that it will eventually be changed, but the purpose really goes no further than to please people who think that having outdated technology really matters (in this case anyways). My whole point is that it's not necessary. I think the board we have now adds character to the rink.

Old
09-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Kekumba

It doesn't matter, really. I'm not complaining about the current one as I don't have much of a problem with it. But do I want massive HD screens up there instead? Hell yeah. It's not completely necessary, but it's not hurting anyone or anything. I never figured anyone would actually prefer what we what have now to massive HD screens.

Old
09-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Clearly people aren't going to go just to see it.

To answer your rhetorical questions, What difference does it make to you if it remains the same? Are you going to keep complaining until it gets replaced (size has absolutely nothing to do with my argument) I really don't see any positives in getting a new one either( that aren't completely pointless). I know that it will eventually be changed, but the purpose really goes no further than to please people who think that having outdated technology really matters (in this case anyways). My whole point is that it's not necessary. I think the board we have now adds character to the rink.
Who doesn't have nostalgia for mid 90's video technology?

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote