HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason Roster and Schedule (post #2); Cuts announced, Sept. 26 (post #189)

Old
09-15-2010, 05:11 PM
CantSeeColors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I've heard from others than learning Japanese is unbelievably hard. Mainly because not only do you need to learn over 3000 characters in the Kanji alone, you have to technically also learn Korean and Chinese along with it.

But anyways, it's good that he wants a translator so he doesn't do anything wrong.
Asian languages are difficult because of the volume of characters involved (along with the tones in certain languages if your native language isn't tonal), but English proves especially difficult for a lot of people because there's like a billion exceptions to every one of the rules, but no system to really know when to use the exceptions other than just learning them all.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Asian languages are difficult because of the volume of characters involved (along with the tones in certain languages if your native language isn't tonal), but English proves especially difficult for a lot of people because there's like a billion exceptions to every one of the rules, but no system to really know when to use the exceptions other than just learning them all.
The English language is a pretty bastardized language to be honest .

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2010, 05:19 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
The English language is a pretty bastardized language to be honest .
Fo sho. Most of us just make it up as we go along.

Old
09-16-2010, 05:48 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
English is the hardest language to learn from what I understand
Try finnish.

Bet he wouldn't have joined the organization if he couldn't say a word in english as there are no other russians within the team, well Bobo could make the team but he's still a long-shot.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:47 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
Tim P:

Quote:
Jeff Carter is blowing Mike Richards away in sprint testing here. Carter been on ice for 3 weeks. Richards just got here two days ago.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:51 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Tim P:
The first 6 words can be very misleading... Sorry slow morning haha

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:53 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The first 6 words can be very misleading... Sorry slow morning haha
You have the early candidate for "Modest Post of the Year" if Mountainhawk decides to do such a category for post-season HF awards.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:57 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Tim P:
Apparently his skating ability in the offseason is improving from "****** skater according to HF" to "excellent skater."

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:44 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Tim P:
I'm pretty sure you could give Richards a 3 week head start on training and Carter would still blow him away. Not exactly groundbreaking reporting there.

Old
09-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

from the things ive seen here, it seems like Richards took a lot of rest and recovery time

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:44 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I'm pretty sure you could give Richards a 3 week head start on training and Carter would still blow him away. Not exactly groundbreaking reporting there.
Unless Carter hadn't rehabbed meticulously from his two broken feet. Good to know he's back to 100% at least from that perspective, and found a way to squeeze it in amongst his summer extracurriculars.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
from the things ive seen here, it seems like Richards took a lot of rest and recovery time
Too bad the olympics aren't happening again this year. If I recall correctly, he went to that camp in tip-top shape.

He'll be fine though, it's not a big deal.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
But, but, but..

CARTER IS LAZY.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Tim P:
Quote:
Jeff Carter is blowing Mike Richards away in sprint testing here. Carter been on ice for 3 weeks. Richards just got here two days ago.

I really wonder about Richards' off-season work ethic. Hes not in great physical shape - remember Lappy made fun of him last year saying he had the body of a 10 year-old - hes just showing up to training camp now - when everyone else has been here for days, and some weeks - and nobody knows if hes worked on his faceoff ability.

I love that Richards gives it all on the ice, hes all heart during the season, but that heart doesn't seem to carry over to the off-season. But hey, thats just me, I could be totally wrong.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
I really wonder about Richards' off-season work ethic. Hes not in great physical shape - remember Lappy made fun of him last year saying he had the body of a 10 year-old - hes just showing up to training camp now - when everyone else has been here for days, and some weeks - and nobody knows if hes worked on his faceoff ability.

I love that Richards gives it all on the ice, hes all heart during the season, but that heart doesn't seem to carry over to the off-season. But hey, thats just me, I could be totally wrong.
Oh you have to be kidding me. This post just made me laugh

Mike Richards played 112 games last year. 112!!!, he deserves to take all the rest he needs, considering the game type that he plays. Both his shoulders are knackered, so the rest can only be good for him.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Oh you have to be kidding me. This post just made me laugh

Mike Richards played 112 games last year. 112!!!, he deserves to take all the rest he needs, considering the game type that he plays. Both his shoulders are knackered, so the rest can only be good for him.
Yea, I understand that, but for how much he throws his body around I'd like to see him add some weight. Also Pronger and Kimmo played a bushel of games last year and they were both here early, no? Again, I'm not trying to hate on Richards, hes my favorite player, its just an observation.

Old
09-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Viller

Quote:

Good christ, its the first day of camp and here we go again.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Yea, I understand that, but for how much he throws his body around I'd like to see him add some weight. Also Pronger and Kimmo played a bushel of games last year and they were both here early, no? Again, I'm not trying to hate on Richards, hes my favorite player, its just an observation.
Didn't Roenick complain a few years ago after packing on some bulk that it negatively impacted his playing that season? He lost speed and agility...and for a guy like Richards that would be a killer. Not that he's fast, but losing any speed or agility would be tough for him.

And seriously, you're questioning a guy who played 112 games last season, and is known to play through serious injuries, showed up to camp a few days later then some other folks? Really?

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands77 View Post
Didn't Roenick complain a few years ago after packing on some bulk that it negatively impacted his playing that season? He lost speed and agility...and for a guy like Richards that would be a killer. Not that he's fast, but losing any speed or agility would be tough for him.

And seriously, you're questioning a guy who played 112 games last season, and is known to play through serious injuries, showed up to camp a few days later then some other folks? Really?
If adding muscle effects his game negatively the way Roenick and Briere believe it did theirs, then thats competely fine. Also I'm not mainly questioning him showing up later, more the fact that I don't know what he does in the off-season. Timmy P said Carter was blowing him away in sprints, now Richie certainly isn't as fast as Carter, but Tim added Carter has been here for weeks, Richie just arrived a few days ago, that leads me to believe it looked like Richards wasn't as conditioned as Carter.

Another thing is Richards faceoff ability. He loses a lot of defensive zone draws, and for a two-way forward that penalty kills, that shouldn't happen. He didn't work on draws last year, likely because of his shoulders, and nobody knows if he worked on draws this year either, again, not trying to hate on Richards, I love the guy, hes my favorite player. I'm just wondering what his off-season routine is.

Edit: Another post from Panaccio
Quote:
I would say Richards has some conditioning catch-up to do here ...

Last edited by Mgkibbles: 09-17-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
If adding muscle effects his game negatively the way Roenick and Briere believe it did theirs, then thats competely fine. Also I'm not mainly questioning him showing up later, more the fact that I don't know what he does in the off-season. Timmy P said Carter was blowing him away in sprints, now Richie certainly isn't as fast as Carter, but Tim added Carter has been here for weeks, Richie just arrived a few days ago, that leads me to believe it looked like Richards wasn't as conditioned as Carter.

Another thing is Richards faceoff ability. He loses a lot of defensive zone draws, and for a two-way forward that penalty kills, that shouldn't happen. He didn't work on draws last year, likely because of his shoulders, and nobody knows if he worked on draws this year either, again, not trying to hate on Richards, I love the guy, hes my favorite player. I'm just wondering what his off-season routine is.

Edit: Another post from Panaccio
As has been chronociled ad-nasuem, Panaccio is a ****ing tool and has had a vendetta against Richards in the past.

According to him thus far in camp:
-Carter showed up with bleach blond hair from spending all day at the beach.
-Richards showed up out of shape
-Zherdev showed up with the egrigious inability to fluently speak English

Don't the Flyers cut his check? How can he be so damn negative (and many of which are just pandering opinions) without reprecussion?

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Just give them time. I'm just happy to hear Carter is better on his feet maybe than he was before... hopefully.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:15 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Good christ, its the first day of camp and here we go again.
I remember the exact same thing last year. I actually remember many posters on here saying that Richards should be 3rd line because of his poor preseason performance. Some people don't understand that preseason isn't really for the vets so much as the guys trying to make it and a chance to get off on the right foot for game one. Some people actually think that presason for the stars matters, which it doesn't. I'm glad he took it easy. He deserved a break and so does Pronger. Carter needed to work harder after an injury, Richards has weeks to get himself into shape.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:30 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

Can CSN find another beat reporter Tim P has to go.

He should be working at Ice Works in Aston not at the Wells Fargo Center covering this team.

He goes out of his way to bash players he seems to have something against.

I love Jackson, Jones and Coatsey on the TV but man our print media is the worst.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Uhh, Carter is the best skater on the team, is he not? He had goddamned better blow away Richards, who's game has never been about his speed. And didn't Carter just buy a place down the Shore? If so, OF COURSE he's been in the area for weeks. Besides, this is all Tim P. He's a clown, and invents ******** just to get traffic.

Quote:
The faceoff thing I can't disagree with, although I will state that it applies to every center they have. None of them are great, Betts being the best. They should all be working on it.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:08 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
But, but, but..

CARTER IS LAZY.
I really hope you are joking. If not go root for the rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Can CSN find another beat reporter Tim P has to go.

He should be working at Ice Works in Aston not at the Wells Fargo Center covering this team.

He goes out of his way to bash players he seems to have something against.

I love Jackson, Jones and Coatsey on the TV but man our print media is the worst.
Add radio also. No one has a clue about hockey in this town. Jackson,Jones and Coatsey and Clement are it.Anyone know about the new chick on Comcast? She is Canadian and worked in DC.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote