HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev Bashed for Using a Translator (and issues regarding Zherdev)

Old
09-16-2010, 04:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Zherdev Bashed for Using a Translator (and issues regarding Zherdev)

One of the glories we'll have this season is witnessing how the Philly media handles a translator. Generally, a Flyer speaks English. Because we usually don't bother with Russians and Czechs who don't have the same put the same desire to use English. People in Finland, for instance, they're taught in grade school to speak English with fluency. We know Kimmo Timonen is very fluent in English, and if anyone's ever heard Saku Koivu speak, he barely sounds like he has an accent. Pretty sure they do the same in Sweden. You can't really dance around them with words like you could other foreign peoples.

Apparently, Nikolai Zhedev knows and understands English, but chooses to still speak through a translator:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/16/10/Zh...290&feedID=704

Quote:
If you had to describe how comfortable Flyers forward Nikolai Zherdev was during his first Skate Zone interview Thursday afternoon, well, he wasn’t.

Although Zherdev, 25, clearly understands English, he insisted on a translator. Some of his answers, via translation, didn’t seem genuine.

The 6-foot-2, 203-pound Russian winger has always been an enigma in the NHL. Translator Slava Kouznetsov, the skating coach for the Phantoms, said he thinks Zherdev will be fine in about a month to communicate in English, even though he had five previous years in North America speaking English.

“He spent the whole last year in the KHL and never spoke English once,” Kouznetsov explained, adding that Zherdev is worried about using the right words in response to questions.

“How it is gonna go, it’s gonna go,” Zherdev said when asked about his personal goals this coming season. “I don’t want to predict anything.”

Pressed on the issue by CSNPhilly.com, he smiled, and replied, “I will work and do [what’s required] and how it turns out, it turns out.”

What was most discouraging about Zherdev is that those familiar with him said they thought he learned a lesson, coming back from the KHL this summer after some tumultuous times in the NHL.

Some said he returned with a greater sense of appreciation for the NHL.

If that was the case, Zherdev left no such impression with two reporters.

“I don’t feel anything; I don’t know,” he said. Admittedly, the translator said he had trouble finding the right words in Russian to explain “perspective” and “appreciation.”
Hey Timmy, back the **** off. You've obviously never worked with a translator before. Just because he wants to use a translator, doesn't mean he's treating the NHL as if it's a mild curiosity.

I know Timmy thinks he is a media superstar in this town, even though he is really just a moron who continuously embarrasses himself. But it's only preseason, and we have a "professional" sports writer antagonizing a player because he chooses to use a translator, and then rips him for it. We all already know Zherdev is a softie, so I'm sure he didn't want his first experience with members of the media, in a town who has a reputation of not really being keen on Russians, was met with angst and alienation.

Welcome to Philly, Nik. Hopefully you don't get homesick too quick.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
One of the glories we'll have this season is witnessing how the Philly media handles a translator. Generally, a Flyer speaks English. Because we usually don't bother with Russians and Czechs who don't have the same put the same desire to use English. People in Finland, for instance, they're taught in grade school to speak English with fluency. We know Kimmo Timonen is very fluent in English, and if anyone's ever heard Saku Koivu speak, he barely sounds like he has an accent. Pretty sure they do the same in Sweden. You can't really dance around them with words like you could other foreign peoples.

Apparently, Nikolai Zhedev knows and understands English, but chooses to still speak through a translator:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/16/10/Zh...290&feedID=704

Hey Timmy, back the **** off. You've obviously never worked with a translator before. Just because he wants to use a translator, doesn't mean he's treating the NHL as if it's a mild curiosity.

I know Timmy thinks he is a media superstar in this town, even though he is really just a moron who continuously embarrasses himself. But it's only preseason, and we have a "professional" sports writer antagonizing a player because he chooses to use a translator, and then rips him for it. We all already know Zherdev is a softie, so I'm sure he didn't want his first experience with members of the media, in a town who has a reputation of not really being keen on Russians, was met with angst and alienation.

Tim has had an axe to grind with him since day it seems. Besides Tim is a Pens fans, not sure how many of you know that.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
I'm with you on this one.

I've never been a fan of Zherdev or his style of play, but he's a Flyer now, and as such, he will get my full support.

The last thing I'm worried about is whether or not Zherdev uses a translator in interviews. I'm concerned about what he does on the ice to help this team win, and the work he puts in off the ice to improve. The rest is irrelevant.

And really, who gives a flying **** what Timmy P. thinks?

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:31 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I only read Tim P.'s stuff when I have to (i.e. issues about injuries, trades, etc.). It's just awful. I mean, like, who the **** writes negatively about a player for using a translator? What a ****ing asshat.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
There hasn't been a good ol' "bash Tim" thread in awhile. This should be entertaining.

I need me some popcorn.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:35 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

The issue isn't so much the person writing it (ok, maybe some of it), but Zherdev is only arriving in town now, I'm sure the last thing he wanted were people in his face about why he's not speaking English. It's not the media's job to make players feel as comfortable as possible, it's to get a story, but the "we're in America, speak English" approach isn't the way to go about it.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
The issue isn't so much the person writing it (ok, maybe some of it), but Zherdev is only arriving in town now, I'm sure the last thing he wanted were people in his face about why he's not speaking English.
From what I hear, Tim doesn't understand spelling and grammar and he's a damn writer. So maybe we can cut a foreign born player some slack...

Old
09-16-2010, 04:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
From what I hear, Tim doesn't understand spelling and grammar and he's a damn writer. So maybe we can cut a foreign born player some slack...
He's rather contradictory too. In July he wrote "Leighton is good but not good enough to win a Stanley Cup." In August he wrote "Niemi isn't better than Leighton, even though he was good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Let's stick with Leighton."

Old
09-16-2010, 04:43 PM
DickTony

What an ass. Not a fan of Timmuh

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
He's rather contradictory too. In July he wrote "Leighton is good but not good enough to win a Stanley Cup." In August he wrote "Niemi isn't better than Leighton, even though he was good enough to win a Stanley Cup. Let's stick with Leighton."
It's only contradictory because Timmy doesn't generally know what he's talking about, and probably fails to even realize the contradiction of his two statements, if he realizes what the term contradictory even means at all.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Valhoun*

Quote:
That's pretty epic.

Tim Panaccio is a drunken old fool. He needs to fade away and they need to bring someone else in so that it could be Sarah Baicker and someone else who is competent. Like Bill Meltzer.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:54 PM
flountown

Yeah, it sucks that he is the Comcast guy, since he gets the call to do all the TV stuff, and he has no business being on TV, he ends up looking like an idiot...watching him right now is terrible...

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Terence Peterman

Pannacio should become a verb too. The translation would be stupid.

I wonder if he'd have a problem with that.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:15 PM
flybynite77

Pannacio is one of those writers who thinks they should be the story, not the sport they're covering. Guess what Tim? People aren't interested in you, they're interested in the FLYERS. They don't care if you have a bug crawl up your butt about having to interview someone through a translator.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:22 PM
Viller

How this guy still has a job in hockey is way way beyond me... He clearly doesn't know much about the game and he always seems to be looking for **** stories on players and milks them till no one will listen to him anymore. Its getting really tiresome to say the least. I can't even imagine how it is for the players.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Wow that is pretty lame. Give the guy a break. He hasn't been in the US in a year.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:33 PM
BringBackStevens

Gotta love how he twists zherdev's desire not to say the wrong thing or have his words twisted in a filthy media town as evidence that he has an attitude problem. What a dunce. Seems pretty apparent he has something against the guy already

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:42 PM
mirimon

Quote:
if anyone's ever heard Saku Koivu speak, he barely sounds like he has an accent.
Yeah, but his french was terrible though. Stupid Finn who wouldn't learn to speak like a proper québécois... I kid of course, but wasn't there some silly controverse about how he only spoke English in a pre-game video or something like that?

Anyway, if Zherdev doesn't feel confident enough with his English to give interviews without a translator, maybe the reporters should try to learn Russian. It's a fascinating language.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:28 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
There hasn't been a good ol' "bash Tim" thread in awhile. This should be entertaining.

I need me some popcorn.
I'm sure our good ole friend Sarah Baicker is loving this thread.

Quote:
The issue isn't so much the person writing it (ok, maybe some of it), but Zherdev is only arriving in town now, I'm sure the last thing he wanted were people in his face about why he's not speaking English. It's not the media's job to make players feel as comfortable as possible, it's to get a story, but the "we're in America, speak English" approach isn't the way to go about it.
I have no problem with a guy using a translator. Apparently Pronger and Richards have already informed Zherdev how crappy the Philly media can be to it's players, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Yeah, it sucks that he is the Comcast guy, since he gets the call to do all the TV stuff, and he has no business being on TV, he ends up looking like an idiot...watching him right now is terrible...
For a guy who watches as much hockey as he does, it surprises me that he seems so ... idk ... uninformed about the game and the rules of the game. However, I wouldnt read into it much. The problem is not him, it's his employer for not hiring Meltzer to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
Pannacio should become a verb too. The translation would be stupid.

I wonder if he'd have a problem with that.
I don't like bashing Timmeh as a PERSON, but as a FLYERS WRITER, he leaves something to be desired IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Gotta love how he twists zherdev's desire not to say the wrong thing or have his words twisted in a filthy media town as evidence that he has an attitude problem. What a dunce. Seems pretty apparent he has something against the guy already
One of the Flyers most important moments since the last cup was when they defeated the Russian team. If you google Flyers hockey, that Russian-Flyers game pops up right after they mention the 2 Stanley Cups, lol.

I guess some people are from a different era where Russians are still "evil".

I know full well that Zherdev is not Russian, but if you ask many Americans, if he speaks Russian, then he is Russian. That kind of labeling occurs when a person doesnt understand and doesnt care to learn either. That apathy pisses me off, because it seems those apathetic people are often way more outspoken about things then they should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, but his french was terrible though. Stupid Finn who wouldn't learn to speak like a proper québécois... I kid of course, but wasn't there some silly controverse about how he only spoke English in a pre-game video or something like that?

Anyway, if Zherdev doesn't feel confident enough with his English to give interviews without a translator, maybe the reporters should try to learn Russian. It's a fascinating language.
To me, not learning French when your on the Habs isn't a big deal. The VAST majority of the NHL speaks English. I'd expect an athlete to learn a few things like basic answers to questions. However, if they were to try to articulate their answers, I'd expect them to speak English (since he is fluent in it) or use a translator.

I don't understand why people make such a big deal about it.

I DO understand people who live in a country for more then a temporary residence and refuse to learn the language. If I moved to Spain, I'd be a huge dick for never learning Spanish, lol. If I played for a team in Spain and only lived there during the season, I dont see why people would get upset I used a translator. (I can actually understand Spanish for the most part, but that's besides the point.)

Some people just seem INCAPABLE of trying to think through someone elses perspective.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:40 PM
Jester

Quote:
Yep... and if you pay attention to his blog, it comes up with regularity. I expect typos with the blog format, but you don't expect professional writers to have some of the stuff that pops up in his writing. I've also heard Morganti and some of the other old school types are terrible writers as well...

Yay to be a youngin in charge of copy editing.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:41 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I will speak on this matter as I know a decent amount of Russian. Its difficult to translate EXACTLY what a player is trying to say because there are just some words that hold more gravitas in Russian than they do in English. Also, when doing an interview with a translator, he needs to come up with words quickly so answers tend not to be precise and are generally more vague because its a waste of time for the translator to use the exact phrases that the players actually mean. Dont get me wrong, translators try their best, but its not their fault if they dont give JUICY details.

P.S. I ****ing hate Tim Panaccio. What a *****.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:42 PM
Jester

Quote:
That's pretty epic.

Tim Panaccio is a drunken old fool. He needs to fade away and they need to bring someone else in so that it could be Sarah Baicker and someone else who is competent. Like Bill Meltzer.
I suspect Meltzer likes his freelance freedom to do features, which he excels at. However, he's around here and can answer for himself on that front. One of the problems -- big one for a good friend of mine -- is if feature writing is what you like to do, then the newspaper/beat jobs suck for you.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Jester

BTW, Timmeh was setting this up the other day... he was babbling about Zherdev using a translator before he ever spoke to him. However, in there he outlined a perfectly reasonable reason why Zherdev wanted one: he hasn't been in the country for a *ing year and what English he had is rusty... therefore, he wants someone with a bit better fluency there so he doesn't stick his foot up his ass.

Old
09-16-2010, 06:53 PM
rayearth

What's next...complaining that Saku Koivu doesn't speak French?

OK, I'm a couple years late on that one.

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:54 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
never been a fan of timmy. the guy is something else. id pay for meltzer to be the beat writer for us.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote