HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament

Old
09-16-2010, 02:35 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

vCash: 500

Hmm I bet ya big G gots 8 shots on goal. Going out on a limb.

Last edited by HeaveHo94: 09-16-2010 at 02:41 AM. Reason: being a nob...
HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:45 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

nice write up

thanks for posting the link

sounds like the players had a nice experience and hopefully can build from there

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:21 AM
Black Tank

It's only 4 games but against some damn good competition and I am most pleased with:

-McI not only having kept up but by all reports having had a good tournament on the first pairing. This settled some of the doubts about whether he has the smarts to deal with high end talent.
-McD same as above - frankly I was concerned why Montreal gave up on him so quickly but those have been eased with his performance here.
-Grachev - hopefully being a year older with a rough first year under his belt will help him grow very quickly. Or maybe he just needs a legit center to get him the puck. Either way, the guy hasn't forgotten how to find the net and that's a relief.

Stepan I had very little doubts about and none at all now. I'm looking forward to the next progression with him.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:43 AM
TUQ

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Quote from Gordie Clark

Quote:
"We are still looking for a center for the No. 1 line with Gaborik and maybe Frolov on the left wing," said Clark. "I've got to say that from what we saw here, it will be interesting to go and see if he (Stepan) can handle that level. And he's going to probably get every opportunity to do it."

TUQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:07 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
I don't think I am in the habit of hyping kids too much, nor being on the fences screaming for kids to be handed spots in the NHL.

But, and I've said it for a long time, a kid like Stephan, with the tools he have, with the style he plays -- I wonder if its not the best thing to do just to stick him on your first line. Let him have it.

Why? He have one ability and one ability only, really, kind of like Bäckström. I mean, its about their smarts, their vision, their ability to read the play. If players like that are supposed to be good, its that ability and that ability only that get them anywhere. Putting a kid like that in the AHL is kind of like putting a dirty cashmere-sweater in the laundry machine. In the AHL, he wouldn't have anyone to play with, and he wouldn't be good enough to do it by himself. He would do ok, but the result would be a tad experience et c. FO's. Defense. His core game wouldn't be improved, it would probably be the contryary.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:10 AM
cmdevisser

Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think I am in the habit of hyping kids too much, nor being on the fences screaming for kids to be handed spots in the NHL.

But, and I've said it for a long time, a kid like Stephan, with the tools he have, with the style he plays -- I wonder if its not the best thing to do just to stick him on your first line. Let him have it.

Why? He have one ability and one ability only, really, kind of like Bäckström. I mean, its about their smarts, their vision, their ability to read the play. If players like that are supposed to be good, its that ability and that ability only that get them anywhere. Putting a kid like that in the AHL is kind of like putting a dirty cashmere-sweater in the laundry machine. In the AHL, he wouldn't have anyone to play with, and he wouldn't be good enough to do it by himself. He would do ok, but the result would be a tad experience et c. FO's. Defense. His core game wouldn't be improved, it would probably be the contryary.
I give you credit for both of those things, and so when you made your case earlier in the summer I began to think Stepan to the rangers this season would be the best case scenario. That being said your pessimism usually just functions as a buzz kill haha.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:17 AM
Ola

Quote:
At the World Juniors, Stepan joined a very short list of elite players who have been both the captain of a gold-medal winning team and that prestigious tournament's leading scorer. He also became the first Rangers prospect to lead the tournament in scoring since Doug Weight in 1991.
Incorrect. Brendl lead it in 2001 as a NYR prospect.

Cherepanov lead the tournament in goals.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:04 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

i will say this right now, no matter what kinda tourny stepan had, he is not ready to center gaborik. the work load and the ice time in cruch time will overwhelm him, especially the first 4 weeks.

having said that, i absolutely want him on this team this year. he brings exactly what we need. honestly, he would be as good as any centerman we have on this team right now.

give him loads of pp time too. thats where he'll have an enormous, immediate impact.

if he has a solid camp and shows a continued knack for setting up goals and scoring himself, he needs to make the team this year.

period.

ec- gotta play with gaby
stepan-let him center a scoring line
arty-let him use his defensive awareness to center a checking line
capt quaalude-let him rot....er....play here

works for me.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:12 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

So you expect him to pull that off, or just want it?

If Stepan is ready to go this year, and Anisimov gets better, that is a pretty good start for this franchise down the middle.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
So you expect him to pull that off, or just want it?

If Stepan is ready to go this year, and Anisimov gets better, that is a pretty good start for this franchise down the middle.
i think that what sets stepan apart from another player, assuming they have similar skill sets, is his head. hes mentally ready.

hes very mature. his on ice smarts are top notch. he goes about his business like a pro already. that says alot to me about where he is as a person and a player.

in my mind, when you stand out at every level, every venue, every tourny, then in my mind you have something. hes done that.

in addition, not only has he shown hes ready but we have a need for a player like derrick right now. theres a spot for him on this team this year. thats huge.

i believe hes ready. now.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:

The problem I see is that even with guys who see the ice extremely well, sometimes they have to get up to the game speed of the NHL. Sometimes there's just an adjustment that needs to be made. Sure, if you're elite then you probably won't need that or you can do it on the fly, but as much as I like him, Stepan isn't elite.

So, if the jump to the NHL is too big, the AHL can be useful, since it is bigger and faster and there's less space than the NCAA, CHL, etc. Stepan will also have some talented players to play with, like Grachev, Kessler, Newbury, etc (hey those guys are talented in the AHL)

I'm not saying you're totally wrong, just that ultimately I don't think you can make blanket statements, since almost every prospect is different.

Quote:

Incorrect. Brendl lead it in 2001 as a NYR prospect.

Cherepanov lead the tournament in goals.
I don't think Cherepanov was a Rangers prospect when he did that.

edit: Cherepanov tied for the tournament lead in goals but was 5th in overall scoring, and that was before he was drafted

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:48 AM
SPG

Quote:

False.

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:41 PM
The_Great_1

Pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday have been uploaded...

http://prospectstournamentphotos.shutterfly.com/

At some point, we will try to upload the pictures from last year's tournament as well in case anyone is interested in seeing them.

The_Great_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:52 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
What did you read were the holes in his game? Just out of curiosity.
I goc razy finding as mnay sources as possible about players. He's not a leader and does not exhibit worke thic so his play really dropped off and he went from a first round talent to the 4th round. Immaturity is his huge issue if I remember right. It's something that could prevent him from taking his game to the next level. I personally feel he'll overcome and be able to utilize his strengths to increase his scoring and overall play but I couldn't really put a timetable on his progress. Maybe 3-4 years before he's looked at for this team. Depends on if he gets thru his mental issues and increases his scoring.

I'm honestly a little too lazy to go find them all over again so this is just from memory. I think he scored way less than people expected him too which is why he was an expected 1st round talent because he did still score a good bit.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:02 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:

But the big question is that is he physically ready to compete against NHL competition? Also, endurance wise, he's never played anything close to an 82 game schedule coming out of the NCAA.... His strength/size/endurance are concerns for me and I'd be more comfortable with him playing a full season for Hartford skating with Grachev and both of them having a terrific chance to make the Rangers next season, rather than sending him straight to the NHL just because we lack Center depth...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:23 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Craig Custance who attended the Traverse City tournament listed his top 3 players who are closest to making an impact in the NHL

Alex Pietrangelo
Jeff Skinner
Ryan McDonagh

Custance asked Mark Messier about McD

"He's physically ready to play. He's got a very solid all-around game. He's an excellent skater and a very sturdy defenseman".

http://www.zinio.com/pages/SportingN...16139173/pg-48

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

awesome.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:52 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Craig Custance who attended the Traverse City tournament listed his top 3 players who are closest to making an impact in the NHL

Alex Pietrangelo
Jeff Skinner
Ryan McDonagh

Custance asked Mark Messier about McD

"He's physically ready to play. He's got a very solid all-around game. He's an excellent skater and a very sturdy defenseman".

http://www.zinio.com/pages/SportingN...16139173/pg-48
you mean the jeff skinner that some of us had rated pretty high on our draft boards.

that jeff skinner ?

and no derek stepan. im surprised skinner rated more ready than derek.

Old
09-16-2010, 08:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Everybody had Skinner rated pretty high in the draft... He's a big boy too...

Old
09-16-2010, 08:41 PM
cmdevisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Everybody had Skinner rated pretty high in the draft... He's a big boy too...
Skinner is small--that was one of the main knocks on him.

Old
09-16-2010, 08:54 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The Kveton and Hagelin situations are simply incomparable.

Hagelin thrives in North American hockey. He makes some of the less talented NCAA defenders look like fools. He turned down the SEL specifically so he could come and play college hockey.

And he certainly has every intention being over here already to give a fair shot to the best league in the world.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
He's not small, 5'10 a shade under 200 and he was just drafted, he's going to grow more too

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
Oh, sorry I'm thinking of that player who had the hip injuries.... He was drafted pretty high, what's his name?

Old
09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
cmdevisser

Brett Connolly, went to Tampa Bay

Old
09-16-2010, 09:14 PM
cmdevisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
He's not small, 5'10 a shade under 200 and he was just drafted, he's going to grow more too
I don't feel like that is an accurate listing. I'm a big Skinner fan, but if you see that kid in an interview he looks like he hasn't hit puberty yet...and I really don't believe he's all of 5'10. You might be right that he'll keep growing, but there's no way in hell he's 200 (unless it's baby fat), and that was the general consensus on hockeysfuture before the draft