HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2010 Flyers Prospects & Phantoms Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Bill_Meltzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He wasn't going to win back his starting role in ND. Good career move.

I disagree, Chris. I think he'd have been better off trying to reclaim the starting job with Notre Dame. If Johnson were to slump or get injured, Phillips would have had a shot to get the job back and run with it. You never know.

The Continental Hockey League is only a good career move if he has realized an NHL will never happen for him and his main goal now is to work his way up the minors to the ECHL and, eventually, a backup job in the AHL -- or alternatively, if he wants to play in the Euro league the caliber of the LM in France or the Italian circuit.

BTW, I don't think it's a guarantee that Phillips will start over Rosen with RGV, either.

In any case, Phillips really isn't a candidate for an NHL entry level contract -- not if he can't be an undisputed starter going into his senior college season, has been limited to 15 NCAA games over three years and already has had a major knee injury that cost him a full season.

Last edited by Bill_Meltzer: 09-11-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old
09-11-2010, 09:29 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post
I disagree, Chris. I think he'd have been better off trying to reclaim the starting job with Notre Dame. If Johnson were to slump or get injured, Phillips would have had a shot to get the job back and run with it. You never know.

The Continental Hockey League is only a good career move if he has realized an NHL will never happen for him and his main goal now is to work his way up the minors to the ECHL and, eventually, a backup job in the AHL -- or alternatively, if he wants to play in the Euro league the caliber of the LM in France or the Italian circuit.

BTW, I don't think it's a guarantee that Phillips will start over Rosen with RGV, either.

In any case, Phillips really isn't a candidate for an NHL entry level contract -- not if he can't be an undisputed starter going into his senior college season, has been limited to 15 NCAA games over three years and already has had a major knee injury that cost him a full season.
I don't think Phillips was ready to bank on something happening to Johnson.

That said, Phillips must have known at this point what his options were in Philadelphia. Even De Serres, after a fairly decent rebound year, did not really have a place here.

If you think about the list of goalies from top to bottom (Leighton, Boucher, Backlund, Bobrovsky, Eriksson, and Riopel - and to a lesser extent, Stewart and maybe Morrison) where do you expect guys like Phillips fit in? It's pretty tight.

He was recently at prospects camp, and I can't imagine he felt that an ELC was a strong possibility afterwards.

I think he's got a much better shot at beating out Rosen as opposed to Johnson. Phillips probably feels like an unlucky set of circumstances has put him in this position, and he just wants a chance to play.

Old
09-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Donny Brook
\_-------o [XXX]

Panaccio interviews Laviolette and Holmgren about the rookies coming into camp and that several will play in 3-4 of the Flyers' exhibition games:

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/11/10/Fl...707&feedID=695

Quote:
...Laviolette: “There will be an opportunity for a lot of the younger guys who were not on the Flyers last year to get into the scrimmages here against each other,” he said. “There will be three scrimmages and then lot of opportunities for the rookies in the first three or four games...
Quote:
...Because the Flyers play a ridiculous eight exhibition games (read: eight chances to lose a veteran player), Holmgren said the roster will be packed with rookies and prospects during the third week of September when the team opens with four exhibition games in five days...

Old
09-12-2010, 04:57 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Meltzer View Post

It's worse than that. The CHL allows teams only 18 players under contract at the same time, two goaltenders and 16 skaters. RGV currently has three goaltenders under contract, Brad Phillips, Dan Rosen and Juliano Pagliero. Pagliero has been a starter for the last four seasons (Niagara and Aleghe) and should be the starter for RGV going into camp, Rosen and Phillips will battle for the backup spot. Phillips could be cut and unemployed in October.

His statsheet nonetheless: Brad Phillips

Old
09-14-2010, 07:42 PM
teddybear

Anyone have feedback on the 18 yr olds, Chaput, Bissonette and O'Connor? Thanks

Old
09-16-2010, 05:26 PM
mirimon

Joacim Eriksson was on the bench for the first game of the season tonight.
Simon Bertilsson is injured at the moment.
Mario Kempe was only on the ice for 11:58 while registering 2 shots and going -1 for Djurgćrdens IF.

Janne Niinimaa had a goal and an assist as his Luleć HF beat Södertälje SK though...

Old
09-16-2010, 06:02 PM
BringBackStevens

Why would eriksson not start the first game?

Old
09-16-2010, 06:11 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Why would eriksson not start the first game?
They have a vet goalie that has been three for quite a few number of years. All the newspapers were calling for Eriksson to start, but the coach wanted to feel loyal to his older starter and played him. Means nothing playwise. People in Sweden have Eriksson has the frontrunner for being the starting goalie at the WC

Old
09-16-2010, 07:08 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
They have a vet goalie that has been three for quite a few number of years. All the newspapers were calling for Eriksson to start, but the coach wanted to feel loyal to his older starter and played him. Means nothing playwise. People in Sweden have Eriksson has the frontrunner for being the starting goalie at the WC
Umm... I've never seen or heard anyone suggest this. As far as I've understood, the general consensus is that he'll share the starting duties fairly evenly with Andreas Hadelöv in Skellefteć.

As for our goalies for the WC, we of course hope for the Rangers to be out of the picture as usual, but from the SEL I think Daniel Larsson is the most likely starter, maybe Johan Holmqvist will have a bounce back season. Then we have Stefan Liv in the KHL and a few others who are probably ahead of Eriksson as well. Of course he could have a really big breakthrough season, but at the moment I don't think anyone is really considering him for the WC squad.

Old
09-16-2010, 07:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Umm... I've never seen or heard anyone suggest this. As far as I've understood, the general consensus is that he'll share the starting duties fairly evenly with Andreas Hadelöv in Skellefteć.

As for our goalies for the WC, we of course hope for the Rangers to be out of the picture as usual, but from the SEL I think Daniel Larsson is the most likely starter, maybe Johan Holmqvist will have a bounce back season. Then we have Stefan Liv in the KHL and a few others who are probably ahead of Eriksson as well. Of course he could have a really big breakthrough season, but at the moment I don't think anyone is really considering him for the WC squad.
No worries got a link:

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...n-in-a-perfect

Quote:
Elitserien starts today. There's a ton of hype built around the 20 year old Skellefteć goaltender Joacim Eriksson. Not a single game in the season has been played yet, but hockey experts around the nation are already suggesting that Eriksson could start for Team Sweden at the World Championships next spring. He hasn't even started his first career game in the Elitserien yet.

Eriksson keeps his feet on the ground and doesn't think about the hype. He rather moves the focus on the team, away from himself.

"I can't think about just myself", he says. "Now I'm up in the Elitserien with Skellefteć, so it's just about taking the chance and not think too much. I want to show what I can do and focus on what I'm good at; play hockey. I don't think of myself as a talent. I'm just one guy on the team."

Old
09-17-2010, 08:30 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Nice

Old
09-17-2010, 09:29 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
That is all well and good, but someone who lives in Sweden and seems to have a good understanding of its National hockey program is a better gauge than a Flyer's blogger, imo.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for Sunshine, but I think realistically he will split time in the SEL this season and possibly take over next season (assuming he doesn't come over) and get overlooked for international competitions both seasons.

For now it is all aboard the Bobo train.

On a seperate note, even outside of their talent and relatively deserved hype, it is extremely refreshing that both Bobo and Sunshine are so modest and down to Earth. I honestly could not possibly imagine a more likable and easy to root for (and potentially talented) goalie prospect tandem.

Old
09-17-2010, 10:12 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
That is all well and good, but someone who lives in Sweden and seems to have a good understanding of its National hockey program is a better gauge than a Flyer's blogger, imo.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for Sunshine, but I think realistically he will split time in the SEL this season and possibly take over next season (assuming he doesn't come over) and get overlooked for international competitions both seasons.

On a seperate note, even outside of their talent and relatively deserved hype, it is extremely refreshing that both Bobo and Sunshine are so modest and down to Earth. I honestly could not possibly imagine a more likable and easy to root for (and potentially talented) goalie prospect tandem.
Euroflyer lives in Sweden....

EDIT: Or it might be Finland... its either Sweden or Finland lol. but yea Im not saying he should play in the WC, I was just stating what someone said.

Last edited by sa cyred: 09-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Euroflyer lives in Sweden....

EDIT: Or it might be Finland... its either Sweden or Finland lol. but yea Im not saying he should play in the WC, I was just stating what someone said.
He'd faint if he saw you said he was from Sweden. He's from Finland.

Old
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
He'd faint if he saw you said he was from Sweden. He's from Finland.
You know. He had his thing yesterday about why he chose the Flyers as his team. I remember he said where he was from but when he talked about Eriksson, Sweden came to mind lol. But yea dont tell him haha

Old
09-18-2010, 05:22 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Eriksson gave up 5 goals in a 5-3 loss for Skelleftea in his first SEL game.

Old
09-18-2010, 05:27 PM
mirimon

Eriksson has made his SEL debut now. Unfortunately he had a rough start. He allowed 5 goals on 36 shots as Luleć defeated Skellefteć 5-3, the first one just two minutes into the game.

Highlights from the game (I think they are available outside Sweden):
http://saik.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?level=hl_1011

From what I've gathered Skellefteć was terrible all around this game though, outside of a stretch of the second period when they scored their goals.

Old
09-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Rick Deckard

An older article about Ricard Blidstrand (Leader Post):

Quote:
Hunt's optimism extends to import blueliner Ricard Blidstrand.

The 18-year-old Swede, who was selected in the first round (46th overall) of the 2010 CHL import draft, has made a positive first impression and is already making a bid to crack Regina's top four on defence.

"He's a big guy, he moves extremely well and he hasn't backed away from any of the battle or compete (areas)," Hunt said of the 6-foot-2, 205-pounder, who was selected by the Philadelphia Flyers in the seventh round (206th overall) of the 2010 NHL entry draft.

"I think he has terrific vision and a great shot. Now it's a matter of getting him tuned in a little bit to how the North American game is played. I think he's going to be a terrific junior and he's going to be able to step in quite seamlessly by the time the real bullets fly."

Old
09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Eriksson has made his SEL debut now. Unfortunately he had a rough start. He allowed 5 goals on 36 shots as Luleć defeated Skellefteć 5-3, the first one just two minutes into the game.

From what I've gathered Skellefteć was terrible all around this game though, outside of a stretch of the second period when they scored their goals.
Wow the first goal looked Leighton-esque.
And he's wearing these homo-Revokes.

I'm officially on the Bobo-bandwagon!

Old
09-20-2010, 07:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Hmmmm. Hopefully it was nerves. He needs to challenge the shooter more. They lit him up one on one.

Old
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Muscle Bob

Some info about Andrei Popov:
http://www.russianprospect.com/artic...s-metallurg-nk

Old
09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post

Excellent post. I agree with all of this. Especially the part about our future Goaltenders personalities. They both seem like great guys...

Old
09-23-2010, 11:32 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Where is Legein? Will he be playing at all in the preseason?

Old
09-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Blueshockey2*

How has Maroon looked in camp? I've seen two Flyers preseason games on NHL Network and haven't seen him yet

Old
09-24-2010, 10:42 PM
mikedifr

Quote:

Well, hopefully the coaches there do things differently than some of the coaches do here in Philly.....otherwise, he will be benched after one game and never play the rest of the season

Closed Thread