HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

EZ goal Hockey Net

Old
06-09-2010, 12:20 PM
HowToHockey

vCash: 500
EZ goal Hockey Net

There was a post earlier about the EZ goal. I got one in the mail a few weeks ago and between the rainy days I was able to get a full review done. I just put the videos on youtube so here they are.

EZ Goal Unboxing
This video shows you what you get in the box. I think it is cool that the targets are included

EZ goal review
This shows me setting it up, showing how to fold it, and also testing if it stands up to wrist shots and my ever improving slapshot

Where to Buy it

You can get the net, backstop and targets all in one shot on this page
Here is a coupon for $10 off HOWHCKY001

I also recommend the Green Biscuit ( great for stickhandling off ice) and if you don't have a shooting pad than look into those too.

Last edited by HowToHockey: 06-09-2010 at 05:51 PM.
HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 01:41 PM
blueberrydanish

Totally gonna buy one at some point

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 02:51 PM
ChiTownHawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Totally gonna buy one at some point
Yep me too, thanks for posting beavboyz.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 03:06 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

vCash: 2466
Great review!

Thanks for posting this, you sold me too.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Galchenyuk27
Fire Therrien

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
Great stuff, man. I was teetering on buying this or not, I think I'm definitely going to get it with graduation money now.

Thanks a lot, I LOVE the site. Been bookmarked for what seems like forever.

Galchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:38 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
Great stuff, man. I was teetering on buying this or not, I think I'm definitely going to get it with graduation money now.

Thanks a lot, I LOVE the site. Been bookmarked for what seems like forever.
just fyi for those of you in north jersey, the new pure hockey shop in fairfield has these.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 05:56 PM
HowToHockey

Thanks guys, glad you like the review! As an ode to the hfboards I drew some grumpy puck collecting neighbours with sidewalk chalk

Quote:
My neighbors aren't happy. They've decided to not give me back my pucks that fly over the fence, I don't know what they do with them, since they're 55 years old and have an Egyptian background...I've lost like 5 pucks that way :O
I will do a review of the back stopper and targets soon. The targets come with the net

Oh you can get the net and backstop here for just under $150 and we have a coupon for $10 off, I added it to the OP as well.

Old
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz
Thanks guys, glad you like the review! As an ode to the hfboards I drew some grumpy puck collecting neighbours with sidewalk chalk
Hey! That's pretty much exactly what it looks like when I'm shooting

Another idea for you, would you mind doing a review of the radar gun you have (assuming it's the one from hockeyshot)? I'm thinking of picking one of those up, because it really is more inspiring to practice when you can see your shot speed, but I'd like to know how simple it is to use and stuff.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2010, 10:56 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Hey! That's pretty much exactly what it looks like when I'm shooting

Another idea for you, would you mind doing a review of the radar gun you have (assuming it's the one from hockeyshot)? I'm thinking of picking one of those up, because it really is more inspiring to practice when you can see your shot speed, but I'd like to know how simple it is to use and stuff.
Ha, yeah it is on my list of things to review. I am surprised I have not already posted a review for it. I guess I am just too busy using it all the time . I like to post a few how to style articles, and the a review to balance things out.

I'll post the radar gun review on here when I have it done, probably in the next few weeks.

Old
06-12-2010, 09:40 AM
customradius

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post

I will do a review of the back stopper and targets soon. The targets come with the net

Oh you can get the net and backstop here for just under $150 and we have a coupon for $10 off, I added it to the OP as well.
I have had both for two seasons now and love it. Simply the best bang for your dollar. The only negative that I have found is that repeated slap shots will dent the tubing. I placed some pipe insulation on the smaller tubes and it helps minimize damage. Otherwise, net + backstop for $150 = no-brainer.

customradius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2010, 10:44 PM
meanolthing

Gonna buy the net in the next week or two, once the player I'm coaching gets back to me about her schedule this summer. Are those roll-up shooting pads worth the money? Because I'm liking the 96" length one, but the relative thinness of the material worries me a little bit.

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 03:34 PM
weedsnager

did you hit the inside center post at all with pucks? if your denting the other posts,i cant imagine that small center one to last very long with a few direct hits

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

I got mine at a discount, it is not an ezgoal one but similar I guess.

The store left it in the window for too long and the sun faded the red color so they sold it to me for $60

Ummm yeah I am wearing a Joker hat, best outdoor hockey hat ever!

Excellent review of that goal Beavboyz .... I think I would wreck it though, this one here is solid and i wrecked it. I repaired it with wood dowels inserted in the joints and i used sheetrock screws made to anchor in metal to keep it together.

Mine is the same steel quality I have in mine, mine also had the same color code netting so maybe it is the same company?? I trashed mine with winter frozen pucks .... if you shoot frozen pucks beavboyz you will dent this goal you reviewed.

Yours however folds up and makes that a must for me, mine does not and a pickup truck is needed which sucks honestly.

I might look into the ez goal you posted as i could use it for sure on lakes and ponds and city rinks which have no cages.

So far so good. I have trashed it even more since this photo from 2008 though, it has huge dents in the crossbar and stuff now.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 06-13-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 11:14 PM
MIKE GUNDY*

Green Biscuit looks spectacular

MIKE GUNDY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2010, 01:23 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanolthing View Post
Gonna buy the net in the next week or two, once the player I'm coaching gets back to me about her schedule this summer. Are those roll-up shooting pads worth the money? Because I'm liking the 96" length one, but the relative thinness of the material worries me a little bit.
I haven't used the thin roll up ones yet, but they look like they could be a bit annoying. They would be a bit more portable though if you don't have a truck.

I can fit the pro sized shooting pad in my car, but it takes up the entire cabin (doesn't fit in the trunk)

Quote:
if you shoot frozen pucks beavboyz you will dent this goal you reviewed.
I dented it with regular pucks, it seems shots under 70 MPH won't do damage, but over 70MPH and a direct hit to the post will.

I have dented EVERY store bought net, if they make them heavy duty they are too heavy to carry so they are pointless.

Quote:
weedsnager did you hit the inside center post at all with pucks? if your denting the other posts,i cant imagine that small center one to last very long with a few direct hits
Yeah I hit it a few times with a slapper and tonnes of times now with my wrist shot, no damage to it yet. Maybe because it is on an angle, and thinner so it deflects the pucks better??

Quote:
Jayson Williams Green Biscuit looks spectacular
It really is, it just sucks that shipping is so much. I am thinking of ordering them in bulk and then offering $3 shipping to anywhere in North America. The problem is cheap shipping takes forever, so none of the stores will offer it and you basically have to pay $10 in shipping to get a Green Biscuit!

The only real option is order around $100 worth of stuff and tack on a few Green Biscuits.

Old
06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
weedsnager

will you post the review of the back stop also?

Old
06-14-2010, 11:47 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
will you post the review of the back stop also?
I certainly will, and I will even give you a sneak peak

I really wanted to give the backstop a good review, but it was not as good as I hoped it would be. I managed to put about 5 pucks through the meshing. The stuff that goes across the top is awesome, it held up to all my shots over and over (even returned them to me more than half the time!)

The side netting is strung WAY to tight and I think all the tension causes it to tear if you hit it with a good shot. I hammered some slapshots at it and about 5 went through and caused holes.

The frame and construction is really good though, it's just the netting on to two side stops that sucks (only if you have a hard shot though) One of our followers on facebook got it and he said he loves it.

Luckily there is a solution, I had old netting in my garage and I just laced it up and left some slack, so I am still getting full use out of it works well now with the minor adjustment

Anyways that's a summary, I will do a video, add pictures and post to my site in the next few weeks.

Old
06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
meanolthing

Ah very cool. Thanks for the response, love the site!

meanolthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2010, 04:56 PM
weedsnager

ive had my net for a week now....really like it....how in the world do you fold it up after it is assembled? ive read the instructions, still cant do it!!!

Old
06-24-2010, 03:06 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
ive had my net for a week now....really like it....how in the world do you fold it up after it is assembled? ive read the instructions, still cant do it!!!
I show how to unfold it in the video, so to fold it up it is basically the opposite. It takes less than a minute, here is a quote from the EZ goal review on my blog

"All I had to do was pull the pins from the bottom posts, then separate the middle post, then fold down the top, and fold up the bottom. Presto chango, the net is all folded up! It takes under a minute to fold and unfold the net, I do not think they could have made it any easier."

to seperate the middle post, and fold down the top shelf you need to push in the metal tabs and jiggle it a bit.

Old
06-24-2010, 08:10 PM
weedsnager

i figured it out....im gonna put a little wd-40 on the joints so they will come apart easier next time

Old
09-12-2010, 01:49 PM
Erkdajerk

If anyone's interested, Costco.ca is selling the EZ-goal net with 2" tubes, backstop and targets for $ 109, shipping included. It may be available at your local Costco for less.

Erkdajerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 07:06 PM
SharksFan

Not necessarily a full review of the net but I take a few crappy shots at one to demo my melamine shooting pad here.

I do agree that the side backstop nets are strung too tight and with a huge 400 foot hill directly outside my garage it leads to some hilarious downhill sprints past my neighbors to stop rolling pucks before they get to somebody else's garage directly at the bottom.

One of the posts and crossbar poles would not connect together out of the box and I ended up having to hammer away at it for a bit to get it to fit correctly so that extended my setup time but overall I'm super happy with it.

SharksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
BlaXXXima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erkdajerk View Post
If anyone's interested, Costco.ca is selling the EZ-goal net with 2" tubes, backstop and targets for $ 109, shipping included. It may be available at your local Costco for less.
Just picked one up today. Will set it up tomorrow night.

Costco had it on for $89.

WICKED deal.

BlaXXXima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:19 AM
dpixel8

My netting (goal) has gotten REALLY loose, after it was REALLY tight at the start. And the top net, for the life of me I can't get it tight enough. Guess I'll just deal with it, but although for the money this is a great goal and backstop, it has it's flaws.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote