HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Mancari playing Staffords role

Old
09-16-2010, 12:57 PM
MyersMagic57*

vCash: 500
Mancari playing Staffords role

What if we used Mancari in place of Stafford and had him roll between 2-3rd lines throughout the year?

Do you think he'd perform better, the same, or worse than stafford?

Mancari is a UFA at the end of the year, and has really no nhl experience yet, so he's got a bit more to prove then stafford

MyersMagic57* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
If Stafford and Mancari both played 82 games with the Sabres, you'd be unable to tell the difference between them for 68 of those games from the upper 300s.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Vito_81

I hate Stafford as much as anybody on here, but I think everyone's expectations are pretty low for him. Sure he hasn't been motivated to play for the past two seasons or so. But perhaps all these rookies ready to break through is enough to get him into the right gear. He definitely has the skill to deserve a top 6 job. It's not out of this world to imagine him being a lot better this year.

My issue here is the potential scenario that Stafford indeed comes through with a much better season this year and everyone hops right back on his **** like it's 06-07 all over again.

I personally hope he produces enough to get traded for a solid return, but not enough to get Darcy thinking "My patience finally paid off, he's becoming the player I invisioned. Time to resign him" which would give us another situation of being stuck with a player that we would have been better off moving on from similar to what happened with Connolly.

Vito_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:03 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
I hate Stafford as much as anybody on here, but I think everyone's expectations are pretty low for him. Sure he hasn't been motivated to play for the past two seasons or so. But perhaps all these rookies ready to break through is enough to get him into the right gear. He definitely has the skill to deserve a top 6 job. It's not out of this world to imagine him being a lot better this year.

My issue here is the potential scenario that Stafford indeed comes through with a much better season this year and everyone hops right back on his **** like it's 06-07 all over again.

I personally hope he produces enough to get traded for a solid return
, but not enough to get Darcy thinking "My patience finally paid off, he's becoming the player I invisioned. Time to resign him" which would give us another situation of being stuck with a player that we would have been better off moving on from similar to what happened with Connolly.
once you start thinking that, you are already past the point of getting a good return

Old
09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
CowbellConray

I think stafford is going to have a decent year this year. I'm hoping for 25 goals but you never kno with Staffy. Mancari doesn't have the skill set that Stafford and although they both have something to prove I just dont think Mancari would do as well as Staffy.

If Mancari shows that he can use the body well in the preseason... well then that may change my mind. But he would have to show that he isn't scared to bring it.

CowbellConray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:22 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If Stafford and Mancari both played 82 games with the Sabres, you'd be unable to tell the difference between them for 68 of those games from the upper 300s.
But at the end of the day just because Stafford has talent he'd still outscore Mancari in those 68 games by 15-20 points. It would just be maddeningly frustrating. And the other 14 would add the other 15-20 points that he would outscore Mancari by.

Mancari is awful. Let him be a veteran presence in Portland where he might actually be useful, but if the Sabres are playing him in Buffalo then things are really, really bad.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
I agree but, for the other 14 games, Stafford would likely be a lot more notable for his production and effort than Mancari would. The two are very comparable in terms of physical size and strength but Stafford is the better skater and offensive player.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Mancari is awful. Let him be a veteran presence in Portland where he might actually be useful, but if the Sabres are playing him in Buffalo then things are really, really bad.
QFT

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:03 PM
Dreakon

Stafford isn't exactly a offensive powerhouse out there. Unless you consider 34 points in 71 games and inconsistent play top 6 caliber.

I'm willing to give him another shot if he comes out strong because he's definately talented, but if Stafford comes out slow and unmotivated this training camp and/or season, I'd have no problem putting Mancari in his place... if not only for his monster of a slapshot on the PP.

Last edited by Dreakon: 09-16-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:35 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Jame, you won't be sober for 67 of those games.

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
The big question with Mancari is does he have the wheels to take a regular shift in the NHL? He's got the great shot and offensive instincts but we've only seen him in situational use. If he can't keep up he'll be exposed like Jonathan Cheechoo. Mancari's an option the Sabres should look at if Stafford struggles but he's not going to cut it if he can't get up and down the ice.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

No thank you. I expect abnormally big things from Stafford this year - contract year, he knows what he needs to do in his final season in B&G

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:09 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
But at the end of the day just because Stafford has talent he'd still outscore Mancari in those 68 games by 15-20 points. It would just be maddeningly frustrating. And the other 14 would add the other 15-20 points that he would outscore Mancari by.

Stafford and Talent in the same sentence cracks me up...

Old
09-16-2010, 04:18 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Stafford and Talent in the same sentence cracks me up...
He has talent, he was drafted in the 1st round because of it. He just has no idea how to use it.

But you know what they say about blind squirrels and nuts. It's this phenomenon which leads to him putting up points even though he clearly is the most frustrating player on the team.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He has talent, he was drafted in the 1st round because of it. He just has no idea how to use it.

But you know what they say about blind squirrels and nuts. It's this phenomenon which leads to him putting up points even though he clearly is the most frustrating player on the team.
tell me about his NHL talent...please

Plenty of players have "1st round draft talent"... the difference between them is "knowing how to use it" at the NHL level.

Old
09-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:

Plenty of players have "1st round draft talent"... the difference between them is "knowing how to use it" at the NHL level.
I agree for the most part and believe me there is nobody I want traded from the Sabres more than Stafford. It seems strange to think Mancari is ready to fill his 'role' however assuming it is of a top6 variety. I don't know a lot about him, but from what I've seen and read, he seems one of those guys who will be a very good AHL player, but will never really make it as an NHL regular.

Rowley Birkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowley Birkin View Post
I agree for the most part and believe me there is nobody I want traded from the Sabres more than Stafford. It seems strange to think Mancari is ready to fill his 'role' however assuming it is of a top6 variety. I don't know a lot about him, but from what I've seen and read, he seems one of those guys who will be a very good AHL player, but will never really make it as an NHL regular.
My take on it, is that we've seen a couple of seasons of Stafford and only a handful of games of Mancari in the NHL... most of which weren't horrible exactly, just not great.

Anyone in the AHL not named Ennis can tell you cracking the Sabres lineup at the moment isn't the easiest in the world, and Mancari shot himself in the foot last season with the whole contract thing.

If Stafford blows it, I think this season might be a good time to decide if he finally can make the jump to the NHL. If not, then we move on. He knows it, his one year deal knows it.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 09:10 PM
Crazy Tasty

Novotony, Rasmussen, Heisten, Artem Kryukov, Zagrapan, Persson, Stafford.

All 1st rounders.

Crazy Tasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:05 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:

So him leading a 3 goal comeback vs the reining Stanley Cup champions means he doesn't have NHL talent. Good thinkin' bud.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
So him leading a 3 goal comeback vs the reining Stanley Cup champions means he doesn't have NHL talent. Good thinkin' bud.
I'm pretty sure he's not saying he doesn't have NHL talent, he's saying he doesn't play to his potential talent level on a consistent basis which you can't really dispute. Stafford has been the most frustrating Sabre over the last few years, teasing us for a couple games and then disappearing time and time again.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:20 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

If Stafford gets relegated to 3rd/4th line duty I'd love to see him replaced with Mancari. I'd rather see Stafford play more meaningful minutes if one of them is going to see top 6 minutes.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote