HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Cody Hodgson Discussion

Quote:
The enforced silence surrounding Cody Hodgson’s year-long health saga has led to innuendo, speculation and, in some cases, urban myth regarding the Canucks’ prospect. Some of it has not been flattering.

But if some Canucks fans are questioning the NHL club’s top draft pick two years ago (10th overall), the former Canadian major junior player of the year and the leading scorer at the 2009 world junior tournament, conditioning guru Gary Roberts has a message for them: Just give the kid some time.
http://www.theprovince.com/business/...#ixzz0zksEknWv

I don't know where this notion came from that "Canucks Nation" is down on Hodgson? If anything, some have (legitimate) questions about how the Canucks handled this player, but I haven't seen a whole lot of negative stuff towards the player himself.

Last edited by Alan Jackson: 09-16-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
but but but hes a primma donna BUST!

Last edited by Bgav: 09-16-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:08 PM
ZyggZagg

vCash: 50
The "it" they are referring to is a proposed trade. There is a rift and he wants out of here as soon as possible, just like McGuire said.

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:09 PM
DreamCatcher*

Awesome article, all this speculation has made some people think he is a primma donna and drama (I'm looking at you Balls) but everyone who has worked with him have nothing but excellent things to say.

I cannot wait to see him on the ice tomorrow following interviews so everything can be clarified.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:10 PM
Crossbar Ping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
The "it" they are referring to is a proposed trade. There is a rift and he wants out of here as soon as possible, just like McGuire said.
When did mcguire say that?

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:10 PM
DreamCatcher*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
When Malhotra was signed, he demanded that Gillis trades Hodgson.

Old
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
When we signed Malhotra, McGuire said "If I were Hodgson, I wouldn't be happy at all. I would be on the phone with my agent right now demanding he gets me out of here"

Old
09-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
When Malhotra was signed, he demanded that Gillis trades Hodgson.
says alot of things. Most of which are ****.

Barney Gumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Finally an article about Cody Hodgson worth reading.

Loved hearing how impressed Gary Roberts was with Hodgson's work ethic and dedication. Nice to see more glowing reviews from someone with no ties to the organization at all.

Lost in all the tiresome BS surrounding Hodgson and his relationship with the Canucks is a player with what looks like a pretty remarkable future.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752

Hes climbing in your windows...

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Proto

Great article.

I still feel confident in my prediction that Hodgson will be a 30 goal, 90 point player in his prime.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:37 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

This is why I had issues with this rift stuff. A lot of the things people were attributing to the rift would have required Cody to be a person that he clearly is not. Indirectly fans were basically calling him a prima donna, petty, immature and mentally fragile. Basically, the media and fans weren't getting info when and how they wanted it, so they resorted to character assassination. I expect it from the fans, because they're stupid, but it's a shame the media (who are supposed professionals) followed suit.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:57 PM
ahmon

Good article. Good to hear some compliments from Gary Roberts.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:01 AM
Hollywood Burrows

I want this kid bad.

...on my hockey team.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Jobal

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
This is why I had issues with this rift stuff. A lot of the things people were attributing to the rift would have required Cody to be a person that he clearly is not. Indirectly fans were basically calling him a prima donna, petty, immature and mentally fragile. Basically, the media and fans weren't getting info when and how they wanted it, so they resorted to character assassination. I expect it from the fans, because they're stupid, but it's a shame the media (who are supposed professionals) followed suit.
Indirectly? We have people explicitly calling him a "bust" or "prima donna". So far I have not read a single article where Hodgson's character has ever been questioned. Dave Gagner had great things to say about Cody even after the training accident. Bob McKenzie, Don Cherry both raved about the kid. Now Gary Roberts has just reaffirmed that assessment.

I'd think those guys are more credible than David Pratt and Iain MacIntyre.

Jobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:32 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Finally an article about Cody Hodgson worth reading.

Loved hearing how impressed Gary Roberts was with Hodgson's work ethic and dedication. Nice to see more glowing reviews from someone with no ties to the organization at all.

Lost in all the tiresome BS surrounding Hodgson and his relationship with the Canucks is a player with what looks like a pretty remarkable future.

The thing that really kills me, is that the majority of criticism of Hodgson is a creation of the media. They act like they are reporting "what people are saying", when I'm sure it's more often than not, just themselves stirring the pot to garner attention.

Even when you get a fairly decent interview like the one between Gillis and Botchford, when you actually hear the interview and then read Botchfords interpretation, it's hard not to notice the "angle" Botchford is trying to create.

The whole reason behind Gillis going on Twitter is a great example of this. Several times Botchford is cracking jokes about how it must be that Gillis doesn't like the media, and Gillis ignores all the comments until the last one, where he kind of admits, very tongue in cheek that yes, it's because he doesn't like the media, and goes on at some length to explain the real reason is about how the younger fans want that kind of interaction, etc, etc.

Yet Botchford leads the reader into feeling that the real reason Gillis is doing it is to avoid having to go through the media.

Heh. Sorry about the rant, but this whole Hodgson fiasco has rubbed me the wrong way.

Roberts sure sounds like the kind of guy you'd want your young players training with, and it's good to get some positive word about Cody's health. If I were Gillis, I'd be very interested in seeing if Roberts would be interested in working full time with the Canucks organization, or at least in some capacity.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:38 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
I want this kid bad.

...on my hockey team.
Sentiments echoed.

Great comments from Gary. Gotta love him training there.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:40 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post

Hes climbing in your windows...
Hide your kids!
Hide your wife!

And hide darren dutchyshen too!

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:46 AM
ferroid

that video might be one of the creepiest/funniest things I've seen in a while.

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:55 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Hide your kids!
Hide your wife!

And hide darren dutchyshen too!
I've never seen this before.

09-17-2010, 12:56 AM
ZyggZagg

Darren looks so uncomfortable there. At one point, it looks like Pierre moves in for a kiss.

Old
09-17-2010, 01:01 AM
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Darren looks so uncomfortable there. At one point, it looks like Pierre moves in for a kiss.
What? Didn't you want that big body presence?

*Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:04 AM
DreamCatcher*

How could Darren resist this?

Old
09-17-2010, 01:07 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
The thing that really kills me, is that the majority of criticism of Hodgson is a creation of the media. They act like they are reporting "what people are saying", when I'm sure it's more often than not, just themselves stirring the pot to garner attention.

Even when you get a fairly decent interview like the one between Gillis and Botchford, when you actually hear the interview and then read Botchfords interpretation, it's hard not to notice the "angle" Botchford is trying to create.

The whole reason behind Gillis going on Twitter is a great example of this. Several times Botchford is cracking jokes about how it must be that Gillis doesn't like the media, and Gillis ignores all the comments until the last one, where he kind of admits, very tongue in cheek that yes, it's because he doesn't like the media, and goes on at some length to explain the real reason is about how the younger fans want that kind of interaction, etc, etc.

Yet Botchford leads the reader into feeling that the real reason Gillis is doing it is to avoid having to go through the media.

Heh. Sorry about the rant, but this whole Hodgson fiasco has rubbed me the wrong way.

Roberts sure sounds like the kind of guy you'd want your young players training with, and it's good to get some positive word about Cody's health. If I were Gillis, I'd be very interested in seeing if Roberts would be interested in working full time with the Canucks organization, or at least in some capacity.
Botchford is scum.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:16 AM
GCM
Stork

I love that the Canucks are sparing no expense in the training and rehabilitation of CoHo.

High school level drama aside Hodgson sounds like an amazing person with great character, reminiscent of the Sedin's if you ask me. They worked hard to improve every off-season to get to where they are now and Hodgson seems to have that same work ethic. Having a team with those types of players around is hopefully contagious.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote