HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tornado Warning

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-16-2010, 11:01 PM
  #26
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
broken trees and damaged cars all over the place in forest hills and jackson heights.
and in flushing near main street and jewel. i hope everyone is ok.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2010, 11:14 PM
  #27
LamoTheKid
Registered User
 
LamoTheKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
LIRR is out between Jamaica and Penn Station. I pity all of you on the E train in the morning, yeesh.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:28 AM
  #28
Scooter17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
There was no official report of a tornado from the Storm Prediction Center, but on radar it certainly looks like there could have been one.



That feature that looks like a comma head in the white circle is what weather geeks call a "hook echo." They often indicate a tornado. If there was a tornado it would have been near the tip of the white arrow. It passed directly over central Manhattan then moved through Queens.

Unfortunately, someone was killed in Queens...very sad.

Here is the report:

2144 UNK 4 SSE FLUSHING QUEENS NY 4072 7382 *** 1 FATAL *** TREE FELL ON CAR AT EXIT 15 ON GRAND CENTRAL PARKWAY.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20100916_215720_black.png‎ (109.3 KB, 136 views)

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:35 AM
  #29
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 21,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
The tree killed someone in a car?

Thats awful. thankfully it wasn't any worse.

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:40 AM
  #30
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
It's extremely rare but it happened once when I was a kid.

Sky turned green then black and then the hail started pummeling the cars in the street.

Pretty crazy weather for Long Island.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:44 AM
  #31
ManicSubsidal15
Registered User
 
ManicSubsidal15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 596
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
I was right in between Rego Park and Forest Hills today and that thing was crazy! A tree right outside our window went from being totally vertical to almost totally horizontal. I have no idea how my car didnt get hit by anything. Luckily i wasnt parked right next to a tree

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:16 AM
  #32
Scooter17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Oh, my God. I lived in Florida for 11 years and I've never in my life have seen something like that down here. Even with all the tropical storms and the afternoon thunderstorms. It gets black and blue-ish but not a deep, deep gray and so gigantic like that. That's just ridiculous. Looks like giant F5 tornado creeping on land. Wow.
That's not a tornado. There could have been a small tornado embedded inside that somewhere, but I doubt it. Your probably looking at the rainshaft from a microburst. A tornado that size would have completely flattened everything in sight. The damage would have been much worse. You don't see tornadoes that size in this part of the country.


Last edited by Scooter17: 09-17-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:24 AM
  #33
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
wow this video definitely tops it for me, amazing stuff :

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:30 AM
  #34
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post
That's not a tornado. There could have been a small tornado embedded inside that somewhere, but I doubt it. Your probably looking at the rainshaft from a microburst. A tornado that size would have completely flattened everything in sight. The damage would have been much worse. You don't see tornadoes that size in this part of the country.
That very well could be, and I'd have to lean it being a tornado. Those are usually tornado's that are rain wrapped. Rain wrapped tornado's are invincible in most cases. The only evidence of there being a rain wrapped tornado is when it's over you and is being destructive; as was the case today. This is why everyone saw sheets and sheets of rain coming down sideways -- and it is the buckets of rain that makes detecting the funnel cloud and tornado near impossible.


hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:59 AM
  #35
RyanBozak
Registered User
 
RyanBozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
That very well could be, and I'd have to lean it being a tornado. Those are usually tornado's that are rain wrapped. Rain wrapped tornado's are invincible in most cases. The only evidence of there being a rain wrapped tornado is when it's over you and is being destructive; as was the case today. This is why everyone saw sheets and sheets of rain coming down sideways -- and it is the buckets of rain that makes detecting the funnel cloud and tornado near impossible.

Judging by size of it in the video, there definitely could be rain wrapped tornadoes within the giant wall itself, but it definitely isn't a tornado. That would be miles and miles wide if it was, beyond anything we've ever seen before.

I'm leaning more towards just a giant shelf cloud (Not wall cloud, wall clouds have rain free bases), leading edge of a squall line. With the radar image posted above I wouldn't be so far out to call the line a derecho, considering a few of the videos do appear as having pretty intense sustained winds for awhile.

These are pretty intense. Would love to see one in person.

Or this


Regardless, gotta love the weather.


Last edited by RyanBozak: 09-17-2010 at 04:09 AM.
RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:06 AM
  #36
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Considering how the trees were facing different directions, how they weren't all facing the same direction(excluding straight line winds), how some trees were left alone while others were uprooted, and how it pretty much mocks what a rain wrapped tornado would do/look like; I'm really leaning towards it being a tornado-- what strength? I'm not sure. Just my honest assessment. I think there were multiple funnels(probably f0-f2 range) too -- Thus the widespread affect.

National Weather Service is sending a investigation team to some of the areas. We'll see what they confirm.

The same line formed a funnel in Perth Amboy, NJ...so there is some evidence building IMO. Here's a vid of the funnel:

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:13 AM
  #37
RyanBozak
Registered User
 
RyanBozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Considering how the trees were facing different directions, how they weren't all facing the same direction(excluding straight line winds), how some trees were left alone while others were uprooted, and how it pretty much mocks what a rain wrapped tornado would do/look like; I'm really leaning towards it being a tornado-- what strength? I'm not sure. Just my honest assessment. I think there were multiple funnels(probably f0-f2 range) too -- Thus the widespread affect.

National Weather Service is sending a investigation team to some of the areas. We'll see what they confirm.

The same line formed a funnel in Perth Amboy, NJ...so there is some evidence building IMO. Here's a vid of the funnel:
Oh, I thought you were specifically referring to the video of the NY Harbor. It may very well be a tornado forming/multiple/different tornadoes over the area, I was just specifically talking about what I saw in the harbor video

Regardless, yeah, nasty storms. We should really have an off-topic stickied weather thread for all of this ^^.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:20 AM
  #38
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB View Post
Oh, I thought you were specifically referring to the video of the NY Harbor. It may very well be a tornado forming/multiple/different tornadoes over the area, I was just specifically talking about what I saw in the harbor video

Regardless, yeah, nasty storms. We should really have an off-topic stickied weather thread for all of this ^^.
Oh no. I was talking in general. You are absolutely right about that video. That's a rain shield and it's within that rain shield that I'm thinking a tornado is embedded. Thats where those suckers hide in a rain wrapped scenario; behind the rain shield.

We most def. should have a stickied weather thread. Leads to good discussions.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:24 AM
  #39
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
Oh, my God. I lived in Florida for 11 years and I've never in my life have seen something like that down here. Even with all the tropical storms and the afternoon thunderstorms. It gets black and blue-ish but not a deep, deep gray and so gigantic like that. That's just ridiculous. Looks like giant F5 tornado creeping on land. Wow.
That wide swath is a rain shield; it's not the tornado itself. If there is a tornado in that image( quite possible IMO) then the funnel is embedded in that shield somewhere. These are called rain wrapped tornado's. They are difficult to detect as they hide behind the wall of rain.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:28 AM
  #40
RyanBozak
Registered User
 
RyanBozak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edison, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RyanBozak
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
Oh no. I was talking in general. You are absolutely right about that video. That's a rain shield and it's within that rain shield that I'm thinking a tornado is embedded. Thats where those suckers hide in a rain wrapped scenario; behind the rain shield.

We most def. should have a stickied weather thread. Leads to good discussions.
Oh then I definitely agree as well. Fully support the idea of the damage we've seen and footage in the videos that there was some sort of tornado(s).

Here's a loop of the storms going through the area if anyone is interested,

http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/rada...=23&duration=3


Also, Hp, a bit side tracked but have you seen the 5 am of Karl? Cat 4 isn't out of the realm before landfall IMO. EW Cloud tops have cooled below -70C and the current Dvorak looks really interesting.

RyanBozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
  #41
King of cool
The winning hat
 
King of cool's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Under your skin
Country: France
Posts: 2,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The ending is absolutely nuts.

For a moment, I've been thinking I was watching a remake of Cloverfield...

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 08:50 AM
  #42
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,867
vCash: 500
I don't know whether or not it was a tornado (and frankly don't really care), but that was super intense. I was inside a store which had floor to ceiling windows and they vibrating really violently like they were about to break. I almost let out a little girl shriek.

There are trees down all over the place on my block. Its amazing that only one person has died imo. With all the trees and awnings getting pulled down you would think more people would get struck.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:58 AM
  #43
ap215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brooklyn,NY
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Here in Staten Island where i live we got the rain and the lightning and then it got quiet it was very fast paced lots of blown leaves on the street but that was it.

My condolences to the family of the woman in Queens who died from that fallen tree very sad.

ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:08 AM
  #44
ap215
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brooklyn,NY
Posts: 743
vCash: 500
Look at this guy Brooklyn's "Extreme" Meteorologist


ap215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:29 AM
  #45
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap215 View Post
Look at this guy Brooklyn's "Extreme" Meteorologist

the guys a f'en tool.

Check this amazing clip:

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:49 AM
  #46
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Hearing my hometown of Middle Village has blocks that are pretty much ****ed. Also heard Juniper Park looks like its been through a war.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:03 PM
  #47
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
These videos are just amazing.

Any body have a line on how fast the winds were clocked at?

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
  #48
hpNYR
HF Forecaster
 
hpNYR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Burbank, CA
Country: Armenia
Posts: 7,092
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
These videos are just amazing.

Any body have a line on how fast the winds were clocked at?
Some trained eyes in Queens said it was a minimum of 100 MPH(Bayside area)

while others claim 60mph+

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
  #49
Captain Monglobster
Registered User
 
Captain Monglobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Palestine
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
These videos are just amazing.

Any body have a line on how fast the winds were clocked at?
On the news they said sustained winds of 100mph.

Here in Flushing its like a Tree genocide. Lots of trees down blocking roads and power lines hanging low over streets. We've had limited power since the storm hit, I'm not sure if its back on yet.

The church on Main St. lost its steeple, crashed into the street. MTA had to reroute all buses on Main St.

WTF

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:23 PM
  #50
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
I just checked the Fujita scale or what ever it is.

Sustained winds over 100 MPH.

The videos I'm looking at show winds that look to be well in excess of 60 mph.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.