HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Zherdev Bashed for Using a Translator (and issues regarding Zherdev)

Old
09-17-2010, 12:30 AM
Valhoun*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Why does everyone want Bill to take a pay cut to be a beat reporter?
It's not that we want Bill to earn less, it's that we want Tim to earn nothing.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:27 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
I really hope this doesn't become and issue that affects Zherdev's performance or liking of the team and city.

Seriously, who gives a crap if he needs or wants to use a translator, why don't they just focus on how he performs on the ice?

Last edited by StandingCow: 09-17-2010 at 03:37 AM.
StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:46 AM
jb**

if he needs a month to get acclimated agin to speaking English, not a big deal. However he has been here before for 5 years, he needs to learn the language at some point. To have a translator all year is a disgrace, if it comes to that. You learn the language where you reside, it is as simple as that.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:58 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Crazy how the guy gets here this morning and is instantly bashed for not wanting to do an interview or not wanting to answer many questions. It's a new city a new country, give the dude a break I mean jesus I'm glad most people are bashin "Panotch" over this, he should and the rest of the media needs to back off him and let him play some hockey

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:42 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
if he needs a month to get acclimated agin to speaking English, not a big deal. However he has been here before for 5 years, he needs to learn the language at some point. To have a translator all year is a disgrace, if it comes to that. You learn the language where you reside, it is as simple as that.
Actually, its not as simple as that because he has no obligation to learn any language. That's not how this country works. The only ones who care are the sleaze balls like Tim who will use their influence to sway the public opinion simply because he's bitter that he can't get juicy bits for his crappy news pieces.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:03 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Two americans are walking down a street in Paris, when a man pulls over to ask them directions.

First he asks in french
The americans say they dont understand
then he asks in german,
They still dont understand
then spanish, still no luck
finally he tries italian, and the americans still dont understand, so he gets frustrated and drives away.

One guy says to his friend "Maybe we should learn another language"
to which his friend responds
"Why? That guy knew 4 and look how far it got him"

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:12 AM
bobbyboucher24

I have friends and family in Slovakia. My friend said at an early age some kids would be taught English in school and others Russian. He said most kids wanted to be placed in the English classes but some were forced to learn Russian. He said he was lucky enough to get selected for English. While in Bratislava, all of the TV shows were either in Czech, Slovak or German, so it is tough for people there to learn any English unless they get the opportunity in school or take the initiative themselves. My cousins in the eastern half of the country could only speak German or Slovak. I was surprised how few people I encountered there that could speak even any English

bobbyboucher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:31 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Holmgren needs to have a talk with TP

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:43 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Actually, its not as simple as that because he has no obligation to learn any language. That's not how this country works. The only ones who care are the sleaze balls like Tim who will use their influence to sway the public opinion simply because he's bitter that he can't get juicy bits for his crappy news pieces.
Yeah no obligation, thats the problem. Press 2. The problem is they cater to people who cant and dont want to speak the langauge. You live and earn a living here, learn to speak english, that is an issue for another day. He has no problem cashing those checks, i bet he speaks english just fine when it suits him. Not like this is his first time in America. He has been here for several years.

Old
09-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah no obligation, thats the problem. Press 2. The problem is they cater to people who cant and dont want to speak the langauge. You live and earn a living here, learn to speak english, that is an issue for another day. He has no problem cashing those checks, i bet he speaks english just fine when it suits him. Not like this is his first time in America. He has been here for several years.
...you're kind of ignoring the fact that he has learned enough English to get by. That doesn't mean he should allow himself to get quoted w/out having someone there with greater fluency to make sure he avoids saying something stupid.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:15 AM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
I used to think Malkin needed a translator. Or a bag to spit the marbles in his mouth into.

Tim is a knucklehead.

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:29 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...you're kind of ignoring the fact that he has learned enough English to get by. That doesn't mean he should allow himself to get quoted w/out having someone there with greater fluency to make sure he avoids saying something stupid.
I think that was also the first time I've ever seen someone ask a white person to learn English. Usually they get a skin color exemption from the anti-immigrant crowd.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM
HoosierDaddy

English is not as prevalent as many think

Ranger fan here,

Take a trip to Europe (Belgium, Germany, Spain, The Netherlands, France) and you will be surprised how few people speak English, even among teenagers. The only language Z needs to learn is goals, assists and Wins (for the team).

I spent the better part of 2 years fighting the Zerdev haters on the Ranger board to whom co-leading the team in scoring was a sign of failure. He got bagged for no defense, yet he was 2nd in plus-minus. The entire team disappearde in the playoffs, yet it was Z who took the brunt of the criticism, even though he (earned?) 8th forward (3rd line) minutes. He got bagged for not being Callahan and crashing the net.

If you allow him to play his game you guys will love what he brings. Will he be silent for some games and come back to life for a few? Yes. But you can can count on two hands the players that bring it every game.

Needless to say, I'm watching more Flyer games this year. Even if they start at 1:00AM in my neck of the woods.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:38 AM
mirimon

Maybe he should treat reporters the way old Boris used to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdNRk...eature=related

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
Okay....and that has what exactly to do with my post? If I was arguing about HFBoards, I'd totally agree. But as it stands, it's pretty irrelevant.
It was a joke...

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:44 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
I used to think Malkin needed a translator. Or a bag to spit the marbles in his mouth into.

Tim is a knucklehead.
If I remember correctly...he did. When he came over, Penguins did video of him delivering season ticket packages to long time STH's, and I believe he had a translator with him. That was also when Malkin just came over from Russia.

So Timmy P thinks he shouldn't need one...after Zherdev just came over from Russia.

They're hockey players. He could speak 5 other languages other than English, and if he'll still tally 30 goals for us this year, I could care less.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:14 AM
jb**

Quote:
not ignoring it at all. He isnt in the country for the first time where he will need someone to help him along and make sure he is saying the right thing. He has been here previosly for what 4+ years? time to get rid of the interpretator. As i said he needs a refresher course fine, an interpretator for a month fine. after that he should answer in english.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:47 AM
Kaktus*

I do not care if Zherdev does not say a word of English this season as long as he scores 30G and 60-65pts plus 7.

Tim P is a ****ing idiot.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Jester

Quote:
not ignoring it at all. He isnt in the country for the first time where he will need someone to help him along and make sure he is saying the right thing. He has been here previosly for what 4+ years? time to get rid of the interpretator. As i said he needs a refresher course fine, an interpretator for a month fine. after that he should answer in english.
So that you can feel better about the inherent superiority of the Anglo-centric world?

If he's more comfortable talking to the press through an interpretor, he's more comfortable talking to the press through an interpretor. Who the F cares? I mean, seriously?

Whether a hockey player is comfortably fluent in English should be the last thing in the world you care about.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:49 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
So that you can feel better about the inherent superiority of the Anglo-centric world?

If he's more comfortable talking to the press through an interpretor, he's more comfortable talking to the press through an interpretor. Who the F cares? I mean, seriously?

Whether a hockey player is comfortably fluent in English should be the last thing in the world you care about.
Fedor Emelianenko (MMA fighter) has been fighting in the US for over two years now and still uses an interpreter.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Fedor Emelianenko (MMA fighter) has been fighting in the US for over two years now and still uses an interpreter.
I could understand this argument if we were talking about citizenship -- even there I find the ethnocentrism with regard to language somewhat repulsive, but there are legitimate issues present in that discussion. Here? He's a dude getting paid to play hockey from Russia... if he plays hockey, were all good.

Old
09-17-2010, 08:57 AM
jb**

Quote:

You live and earn a living in the US, learn to speak and communciate using the english langauge. Why is that such a hard concept to embrace?

Old
09-17-2010, 09:10 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
You live and earn a living in the US, learn to speak and communciate using the english langauge. Why is that such a hard concept to embrace?
He probably does speak English but when it comes to public interviews it's a whole different ball game.
He does not want to be misunderstood. Nothing wrong with that.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
He probably does speak English but when it comes to public interviews it's a whole different ball game.
He does not want to be misunderstood. Nothing wrong with that.
Pretty much my opinion too.

Old
09-17-2010, 09:19 AM
DenverBoone

Personally, I feel he has to speak enough english to understand what the coaches and teammates are telling him. After that, I could give a **** if he can answer a reporter's question. When was the last time you heard a reporter ask a question to wasn't canned or cliche, or that elicited an insightful response?

Reporter:

What adjustments are you going to make for the 3rd?

Player/Coach:

Get the puck on net.

Reporter:

Thanks. Jim, back to you.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote