HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Traverse City NHL Prospects Tournament

Old
09-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
But the big question is that is he physically ready to compete against NHL competition? Also, endurance wise, he's never played anything close to an 82 game schedule coming out of the NCAA.... His strength/size/endurance are concerns for me and I'd be more comfortable with him playing a full season for Hartford skating with Grachev and both of them having a terrific chance to make the Rangers next season, rather than sending him straight to the NHL just because we lack Center depth...
The thing is, he won't need months in the AHL to catch up the NHL speed and adopt to the physical game. I am not sure if a lifetime would be enough. Stephan minus his playmaking ability don't give you Blair Betts, it gives you like a Jason Krog.

I was a bit provocing above saying that he have nothing but his hockeysense et c, because in principle he don't. Like none of his other abilitys will take him anywhere.

Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUQ View Post
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Quote from Gordie Clark

Quote:
"We are still looking for a center for the No. 1 line with Gaborik and maybe Frolov on the left wing," said Clark. "I've got to say that from what we saw here, it will be interesting to go and see if he (Stepan) can handle that level. And he's going to probably get every opportunity to do it."

Quote from Tortorella:

Quote:
“Out of the teams I saw in the tournament, I thought Stepan was the best player,” said the Rangers head coach.
I really like these two quotes from Clark and Tortorella regarding Stepan. Out of our prospect forwards I think he has the best chance to make it due to our lack of a playmaking center.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:30 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter17 View Post

Quote from Tortorella:

I really like these two quotes from Clark and Tortorella regarding Stepan. Out of our prospect forwards I think he has the best chance to make it due to our lack of a playmaking center.
I would say McDonagh has a better chance than Stepan. McDonagh is probably more ready physically and has a clear path if he has a good camp, whereas with Stepan they really need to make sure they're not just rushing him for need of a scoring center.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 08:32 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

had we not decided to bring into camp 4,548,001 forwards for tryouts, i would have said, after stepans recent performance, that he was a lock to make the team. now im only pretty sure he will.

as for mcd, im positive hes got one of the 7 d spots locked up.

stepans the guy i want to see make the team outa camp. ive seen nothing to make me believe he cant and i think he has a very real chance of success.

just not sold on this

ec
arty
capt quaalude
boyle/white/anyone else

this looks alot better
ec
stepan
arty
capt quaalude

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:36 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
had we not decided to bring into camp 4,548,001 forwards for tryouts, i would have said, after stepans recent performance, that he was a lock to make the team. now im only pretty sure he will.

stepans the guy i want to see make the team outa camp. ive seen nothing to make me believe he cant and i think he has a very real chance of success.

just not sold on this

ec
arty
capt quaalude
boyle/white/anyone else

this looks alot better
ec
stepan
arty
capt quaalude
Stepan's chances of making the team are definitely better than any of us are giving him, he has to outperform EC or look better at center than Drury, pushing him to wing.

Does that really sound like such a huge task for a kid who has seriously been the best player on every team he has ever been on?

We still don't know what Stepan's potential is, we don't know the damage he can do with real NHL players burying his plays rather than kids.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Levitate

at the same time, let's not call him a bust if he doesn't make the team...

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

We still have the unadressed issue of 2nd line RW that, should MZA be unready, remains a gaping hole in our lineup.

If we have to force Callahan there AGAIN, which would be unfortunate, who takes his spot on the third line? Is it Dale Weise?

Prospal, Frolov, Dubinsky, these are all guys who are LWers primarily. Too many LWers, not enough RW competition.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Levitate

I have to think it would be Callahan, which isn't ideal in the long run. Theoretically Grachev can play the right side but that might also be hoping a bit too much

Old
09-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Scooter17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I would say McDonagh has a better chance than Stepan. McDonagh is probably more ready physically and has a clear path if he has a good camp, whereas with Stepan they really need to make sure they're not just rushing him for need of a scoring center.
I said Stepan has the best chance of any FORWARD prospect to make the team. McD obviously has a very good chance as well.

Scooter17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We still have the unadressed issue of 2nd line RW that, should MZA be unready, remains a gaping hole in our lineup.

If we have to force Callahan there AGAIN, which would be unfortunate, who takes his spot on the third line? Is it Dale Weise?

Prospal, Frolov, Dubinsky, these are all guys who are LWers primarily. Too many LWers, not enough RW competition.
right wings dont have to be right handed shots.

generally speaking, its usually one of your most talented wings that plays the "off wing" and it seems that that kind of player that prefers that is usually a euro. i think we need to look at perhaps a guy like prospal.

hes the guy most suited to play the off wing imo.

and im with ya on the mza not ready thing. ive had my doubts the whole summer. i hope im wrong but i just dont see him stepping in and making much of a contribution right away.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I have to think it would be Callahan, which isn't ideal in the long run. Theoretically Grachev can play the right side but that might also be hoping a bit too much
Check up-thread, Lev. There were reports that Grachev was playing RW at Traverse.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Levitate

Yeah that's why I thought of him at RW. The theoretically was just more of "I"m not sure where the Rangers really feel like they want to use him" and the "hoping too much" was about expecting him to make the team out of camp this year.

Old
09-17-2010, 11:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Yeah that's why I thought of him at RW. The theoretically was just more of "I"m not sure where the Rangers really feel like they want to use him" and the "hoping too much" was about expecting him to make the team out of camp this year.
Understood...I've been wondering where Grachev fits myself. IMO, he's behind Dubinsky and Kreider on the depth chart. and, for that reason, I've considered him more of a trade asset. But, if he could make the move to RW, I like his chances of sticking around and being part of the core.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:

just not sold on this

ec
arty
capt quaalude
boyle/white/anyone else

this looks alot better
ec

stepan
arty
capt quaalude
No. It doesn't. If Stepan is on the team and Christensen is still on the first line, my head will explode. Christensen is AHL fodder with zero upside. Stepan might be better than him NOW. And if he isn't? Who cares? Just get Christensen off the top ****ing line. It's a disgrace.

That rant isn't geared towards you, offda, but the situation in general. He cannot be on the top line.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:06 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Derek Stepan

Quote:
"He's one of those special players who knows what's going to happen before it does," one scout told SI.com.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?eref=writers

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:05 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's getting so valid the hype surrounding him that I'm about to subscribe to the it seems too good to be true school of thought to safeguard against potential letdown. Physically he will have to adjust to the pro game throughout the year but I am starting to think he won't be in the AHL. If both him and Kreider become what they look like it'd be fantastic let alone McD, grachev, MDZ and Anisimov.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:21 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post

I agree. McDonagh is close to a lock to making it. Stepan has the best chance out of all our forwards but I would probably put his chances at 50-50. He done himself no harm though in this tournament.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Blazephr

Interview clips with McI, McD & Gordie Clarke.

http://www.msg.com/blogs/anthony-fuc...rviews-1.49966

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Blazephr

McIlrath looks back at Traverse City

EDITOR’S NOTE: Prior to his trip to Michigan for the Traverse City Prospects Tournament, newyorkrangers.com asked 2010 first-round pick Dylan McIlrath to record his thoughts throughout the process and write about his experience after it was over. Here is what Dylan was kind enough to provide upon his arrival at the Rangers’ main training camp last Friday.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 01:15 PM
haveandare

Quote:

just not sold on this

ec
arty
capt quaalude
boyle/white/anyone else

this looks alot better
ec
stepan
arty
capt quaalude
Wow, its nice to see some optimism out of you. Personally, I'm not sure any of the tryouts are going to hinder Stepan. Torts and Sather are both totally sold on the guy, and granted they may or may not be idiots, they're the possible idiots who have the power. I'd be downright shocked to see them put some burnt out NHLer looking for a comeback in the lineup over Stepan. The team needs a playmaking center more than anything at this point and he may have just fallen into their laps.

My only other comment is that if Stepan is getting top 6 minutes, I'd assume its going to be on the top line most of the time. He'd be the most "true" playmaker on the team, so it'd be make most sense to put him with the two big guns, plus it'd be a huge confidence booster being out there setting up Gabby every game.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote