HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Bashed for Using a Translator (and issues regarding Zherdev)

Old
09-17-2010, 09:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I've never been a fan of Timmay Largebread....his analysis is pretty pedestrian especially when you compare it to Meltzer. There are people on this board without the access he has that are more enlightening. His blog posts especially when he talks about his personal life and his nickname for his wife belong on the Sesame Street forum. When I see him on Daily News live or CSN his personal input is lame. Even his chats leave much to be desired as he dances around questions. Again his only saving grace is access and thus getting some inside scoop here and there but otherwise he seems to "borrow" from other people. What used to annoy me was his love affair with Hitchcock. Hitchcock was a master of embedding the media on his side and Panaccio totally ate it up. I lost respect for him way back because of that. He is not as much a suckup now but when he takes these potshots on superfluous issues he shows himself to be lacking in integrity. It's not like he's just posting on a forum...he's the beat writer for pete's sake.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Tim has had an axe to grind with him since day it seems. Besides Tim is a Pens fans, not sure how many of you know that.
Exactly. Probably why Bob Clarke said on live TV 10 years ago, "Because you're an a******, Tim."

I guess the analogy (Buccigross style) goes, "What Sam Carchidi is to Mike Richards, Tim Panaccio is to Nikolai Zherdev."

Flyskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I've never been a fan of Timmay Largebread....his analysis is pretty pedestrian especially when you compare it to Meltzer. There are people on this board without the access he has that are more enlightening. His blog posts especially when he talks about his personal life and his nickname for his wife belong on the Sesame Street forum. When I see him on Daily News live or CSN his personal input is lame. Even his chats leave much to be desired as he dances around questions. Again his only saving grace is access and thus getting some inside scoop here and there but otherwise he seems to "borrow" from other people. What used to annoy me was his love affair with Hitchcock. Hitchcock was a master of embedding the media on his side and Panaccio totally ate it up. I lost respect for him way back because of that. He is not as much a suckup now but when he takes these potshots on superfluous issues he shows himself to be lacking in integrity. It's not like he's just posting on a forum...he's the beat writer for pete's sake.
I remember TP lamenting Hitchcock's firing because he (Hitch) made the writers' job so easy. Of course, no one sympathized with TP.

Bill Meltzer is the best current Flyers' reporter. Period.

Old
09-17-2010, 10:01 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
You live and earn a living in the US, learn to speak and communciate using the english langauge. Why is that such a hard concept to embrace?
Pot meet kettle...

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO
You live and earn a living in the US, learn to speak and communciate using the english langauge. Why is that such a hard concept to embrace?
I've always found this argument facinating. Not knowing English and living in this country makes things difficult for the people speaking another language, not for you and me. In fact it has zero impact on you or me. It's their problem to deal with so why the hell do you care?

Additionally, there are many spoken languages in this country and none are the official language. So why do you get so worked up that someone chooses to speak a different one? Why do they have an obligation to change their language to bend to your will? The onus is on you to learn their language if you care so badly to interact with them. If you don't, then who f'ing cares? That goes to Timmeh as well. You want to talk to Zherdev so bad then learn some russian, otherwise he's a massive hypocrit.

And it's also easy to sit back and demand other people learn a difficult language when you get the luxury of sitting back and doing nothing.

/rant

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Jester

Quote:
He can communicate using English. Your complaint is that in a professional function he wants to avoid confusion and possible mistakes, so he gets some help.

Of course, Americans shouldn't be lecturing others on learning languages, but that's another matter.

He's here to play hockey... not make sure NWO can understand the words coming out of his mouth.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:09 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
What, exactly, do the US and the English language have to do with each other? There's no official language here and a very significant portion of the population speaks only Spanish. Why should it be different with Russian?

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This is what cracks me up. Zherdev wants to avoid putting his foot in his mouth, or maybe even get some help expressing himself better to the press, so Timmy rips him for it. I'm sure Zherdev appreciates the need to used careful and measured words when giving interviews, particularly in this town. I would get a translator too.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:22 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
Bill Meltzer is the best current Flyers' reporter. Period.
To use an overused phrase around here, "and it's not even close".

With camp about to open, the rookies playing, new players around the team, returning players looking to complete the job they started last year, and Lavi having a full training camp to work with, THIS is what Timmy P. chooses to write about?

It's amazing what some people get paid to do...

I don't give a crap how Zherdev communicates with the press, or if he ever does. I completely understand his desire to have a translator along (particularly since we know that most sports media can skew english speaking players' words). As long as he brings it on the ice and can work with his coaches and teammates, that's all I want.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Check out the banner on CSN....

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/16/10/bP...608&feedID=704

LOL..the "Insider" gotta love branding

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
What, exactly, do the US and the English language have to do with each other? There's no official language here and a very significant portion of the population speaks only Spanish. Why should it be different with Russian?
Wow is all i can say about that post. Unreal.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:32 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
To use an overused phrase around here, "and it's not even close".

With camp about to open, the rookies playing, new players around the team, returning players looking to complete the job they started last year, and Lavi having a full training camp to work with, THIS is what Timmy P. chooses to write about?

It's amazing what some people get paid to do...

I don't give a crap how Zherdev communicates with the press, or if he ever does. I completely understand his desire to have a translator along (particularly since we know that most sports media can skew english speaking players' words). As long as he brings it on the ice and can work with his coaches and teammates, that's all I want.
by the same company that pays Zherdev.

As to your last paragraph, with the way reporters try to CREATE stories nowadays rather than simply report, it's a wonder even English-speaking athletes don't employ translators or press secretaries. I think Zherdev should ask Pronger to put TP where he put the Stanley Cup pucks.

Old
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Check out the banner on CSN....

http://www.csnphilly.com/09/16/10/bP...608&feedID=704

LOL..the "Insider" gotta love branding

Old
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
i guess pannacio really didnt have a better story to write about during the beginning of flyers training camp.

well done tim. well done.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:41 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
Actually, your intolerance is unreal. Who among the Flyers fans really thinks of TP the first place to get Flyers' news? And if so, who really cares if Zherdev speaks English himself or uses a translator to ensure the reporter(s) don't twist his words and try to make stories where none exist? It's "Wag the Tail," sports-style.

Yes, in general, I think the population here should speak English to conduct daily business with other Americans, but when dealing with the media, who cares? Do you do your own taxes? Do you handle your own legal needs? ¡Ay carumba!

Old
09-17-2010, 10:45 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyskippy View Post
I think Zherdev should ask Pronger to put TP where he put the Stanley Cup pucks.
How great would it be for Pronger to be Zherdev's translator the next time he sits down with Timmy? I'd pay to see that, with the real translation in subtitles below.

Timmeh: Nic, how do you feel about playing in Philadelphia this year?

Zherdev: (actual translation) I'm happy to be here and thankful for the chance. I'm going to work very hard to prove myself.

Pronger: Tim, he says he'd love it if it weren't for dumbass reporters.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Flyskippy

Quote:
How great would it be for Pronger to be Zherdev's translator the next time he sits down with Timmy? I'd pay to see that, with the real translation in subtitles below.

Zherdev: (actual translation) I'm happy to be here and thankful for the chance. I'm going to work very hard to prove myself.

Old
09-17-2010, 11:34 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
This guy is an idiot and an *******. Anyone follow him on twitter? Its ridiculous.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:44 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
what a jackass Timmy P is. How do you say retard in Russian.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:

haha well played

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
what a jackass Timmy P is. How do you say retard in Russian.
tormoz.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
This guy is an idiot and an *******. Anyone follow him on twitter? Its ridiculous.
I used to. His tweets are a fascinating look inside the slowly degenerating mind of a sad, lonely man who has seen the entirety of his life slip away.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
tormoz.
Sick. I'm not the one who asked, but thanks.

Timmy Tormoz...it's got a nice ring to it.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
It was a joke...
That's fine. I didn't take it as an attack or anything. I just didn't get it it apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Yes, I began following him this offseason when all the free agency stuff was going on, but now that that's over, I'm about to unfollow him.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
You are shocked that the US doesn't have an official language?

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote