HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-17-2010, 02:26 AM
orcatown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
The thing that really kills me, is that the majority of criticism of Hodgson is a creation of the media. They act like they are reporting "what people are saying", when I'm sure it's more often than not, just themselves stirring the pot to garner attention.

Even when you get a fairly decent interview like the one between Gillis and Botchford, when you actually hear the interview and then read Botchfords interpretation, it's hard not to notice the "angle" Botchford is trying to create.

The whole reason behind Gillis going on Twitter is a great example of this. Several times Botchford is cracking jokes about how it must be that Gillis doesn't like the media, and Gillis ignores all the comments until the last one, where he kind of admits, very tongue in cheek that yes, it's because he doesn't like the media, and goes on at some length to explain the real reason is about how the younger fans want that kind of interaction, etc, etc.

Yet Botchford leads the reader into feeling that the real reason Gillis is doing it is to avoid having to go through the media.

Heh. Sorry about the rant, but this whole Hodgson fiasco has rubbed me the wrong way.

Roberts sure sounds like the kind of guy you'd want your young players training with, and it's good to get some positive word about Cody's health. If I were Gillis, I'd be very interested in seeing if Roberts would be interested in working full time with the Canucks organization, or at least in some capacity.
Exactly. Botchford and his groupies have been central in fanning the flames of this whole fiasco. Good post.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
High praise, coming from Roberts.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Catamarca Livin

To be fair AV questioned Hodgson's character. So it was just not fans saying things. Also, when they do not even know what is wrong with him how would fans know. The fans have been fine. Of course fans are going to wonder what is going on when a top prospect plays like crap then blames an injury that the team thinks is a minor injury. Then this player does not play for another 4 months comes back to play, then after eliminated from the OHL playoffs does not play in Manitoba because of a broken foot. Later he does not come to prospect camp because he is already training in Ontario. Next he is used as promotion for the young prospect tourney. Finally we find out he can not play as he has been injured the whole summer and just started training hard in August. So do not blame the fans. If the team did not question him and bothered to inform us no one would have gotten the wrong idea in the first place. I think the fans have been really understanding considering the situation. Hell more than half the posters were placing Hodgson in the opening day line up though he has not shown anything in a year and a half. Do not blame the fans we have been misinformed the whole way through this, and every fan is hoping for the best for Cody and the Canucks.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:50 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Exactly. Botchford and his groupies have been central in fanning the flames of this whole fiasco. Good post.
I wonder why? Perhaps because we have not actually heard directly from Hodgson or his agent.

It sounds as if he is unlikely to play based on Gillis' follow-up on his more positive radio interview. We seems to be back at the bulging disc issue causing ongoing problems:
Quote:
"I probably misspoke when I talked about it on the radio [last week]," Canucks GM Mike Gillis said. "He has a bulging disc in his back. That's been an ongoing injury. In addition to that, we're informed by his agent and his family that he also had a slight muscle tear in his back that is now completely healed but there is still some tenderness in that area."

Things can change. The Canucks are hopeful the injury will progress, Hodgson will be cleared to play and all of this will be put behind everyone. If it doesn't progress, however, in the next couple of weeks, Gillis acknowledged it's possible Hodgson will sit out the entire preseason. It could mean he starts the season in Manitoba. Or it could mean surgery.

"It's like anybody with a bulging disc, surgery is always a final option for somebody like this; Dave Bolland went through it last year," Gillis said referencing the Chicago forward who had surgery for a herniated disc in November and was playing again in early February.

"Our medical people and his medical people feel it's something [Hodgson] can overcome. Surgery is not the right course of action at this point in time.

"If he can't participate and make the team he'll start the season in Manitoba. This isn't idiosyncratic to him in any away. If players come and they can't participate in camp, he hasn't played professional hockey yet, he'll start where we fell it's the right place to start."
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Mo...#ixzz0zlpOEekX

Not hard to see why questions are being asked when the story keeps changing daily - and Gillis "misspeaks".

How tough would it be for Hodgson to release a statement saying he never had any issues with the Canucks over his medical care and reassignment to junior and he thinks Alain Vigneault is a great guy? It would not even require a press conference.

Of course if that statement would not be one Hodgson is willing to sign off on then...

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:55 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I wonder why? Perhaps because we have not actually heard directly from Hodgson or his agent.

It sounds as if he is unlikely to play based on Gillis' follow-up on his more positive radio interview. We seems to be back at the bulging disc issue causing ongoing problems:
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Mo...#ixzz0zlpOEekX

Not hard to see why questions are being asked when the story keeps changing daily - and Gillis "misspeaks".

How tough would it be for Hodgson to release a statement saying he never had any issues with the Canucks over his medical care and reassignment to junior and he thinks Alain Vigneault is a great guy? It would not even require a press conference.

Of course if that statement would not be one Hodgson is willing to sign off on then...
I would think Cody has every right to be pissed the hell off at this situation.

Misdiagnosed, skewered in the media, called out publicly by the coach..He hasn't exactly had a smooth ride since his arrival in Vancouver.

That said, from all accounts the kid is all character, and I really, really, want him on this team. Hopefully he can heal from whatever's ailing him and work out any (if any) problems with management and become the player we've all wanted him to become the past two years.

Again, I'd be really pissed if I was Cody Hodgson, a 19 year old kid who really has shown class, in my opinion, through this whole scenario, only to be the egg white in a whipped media frenzy thanks to the likes of Jason Botchford, Ed Willes, and Ian McIntyre.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:13 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
^ Something had to get them through the summer.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Proto

I wonder if people actually read the taglines for the articles that get linked to on HFBoards, or if they just assume that everything written by local sports media is from Botchford.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:12 AM
Towelie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
The thing that really kills me, is that the majority of criticism of Hodgson is a creation of the media. They act like they are reporting "what people are saying", when I'm sure it's more often than not, just themselves stirring the pot to garner attention.

Even when you get a fairly decent interview like the one between Gillis and Botchford, when you actually hear the interview and then read Botchfords interpretation, it's hard not to notice the "angle" Botchford is trying to create.

The whole reason behind Gillis going on Twitter is a great example of this. Several times Botchford is cracking jokes about how it must be that Gillis doesn't like the media, and Gillis ignores all the comments until the last one, where he kind of admits, very tongue in cheek that yes, it's because he doesn't like the media, and goes on at some length to explain the real reason is about how the younger fans want that kind of interaction, etc, etc.

Yet Botchford leads the reader into feeling that the real reason Gillis is doing it is to avoid having to go through the media.

Heh. Sorry about the rant, but this whole Hodgson fiasco has rubbed me the wrong way.

Roberts sure sounds like the kind of guy you'd want your young players training with, and it's good to get some positive word about Cody's health. If I were Gillis, I'd be very interested in seeing if Roberts would be interested in working full time with the Canucks organization, or at least in some capacity.
100% bang on. I came here to post that.

Quote:
Roberts — who’s aware that Hodgson has been beaten up by some in Canucks Nation — also can’t say enough about the 20-year-old’s character, commitment and work ethic.
**** Jamieson. 99% of the people 'beating' Hodgson up are the media. What a deceiving and unethical quote.

Towelie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:20 AM
Cocoa Crisp

You are all clearly not reading between the lines. Sure Cody is working hard on re-habbing. That doesn't make him any less self-centered. In fact, what could be more selfish than to work out and take care of his diet and body fat? It's always me, me, me, with this guy and I for one am sick and tired of his primadonna behavior.

Just watch, all of this intense training with Roberts was just a dog whistle to have Burke trade for him. Kaberle for Hodgson +++. It'll definitely put Vancouver over top if only we acquire that #1 dman that Toronto fans keep generously foisting any and all teams.

And even if this obvious ploy to work hard and improve his conditioning and re-hab his injury backfire and doesn't result in the trade to the Leafs that we all know that Cody desires most in his heart of hearts, even if he does stay a Canuck: any and all success he enjoys this season he'll ascribe to his own hardwork while under the tutelage of Gary Roberts, without a single mention of anything to do directly with the Canuck organization.

There's a rift alright. And it's NEVER going away. Wake up, people!

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:38 AM
The Big Foot

The ridiculous thing is 95% of the discussion has been about whether or not this "rift" actually exists, not whether or not CoHo is a good person or great prospect.

I like the Bolland comparison MG made (had back surgery last November). Looked adequate against the Sedins and PP in the playoffs, didn't he?

The Big Foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:19 AM
metric

Hodgson: A New Hope

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:34 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Ugh, the Province reporters are trash. Except the Kurtenblog

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:02 AM
ddawg1950

The disconnect for me comes from CoHo coming into town and saying "I feel great" followed by not being cleared to play and Gillis admitting the disc still seems to be a problem. I know we've gone over this endlessly, but it'd be nice to get some clear, accurate information, that doesn't involve misspeaks, doublespeaks, etc.

The kid has a great attitude and this injury really has tested his character. Damn, it would be nice to get some positive news about him. For a change.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
The ridiculous thing is 95% of the discussion has been about whether or not this "rift" actually exists, not whether or not CoHo is a good person or great prospect.

I like the Bolland comparison MG made (had back surgery last November). Looked adequate against the Sedins and PP in the playoffs, didn't he?
It isn't just the Province though. I remember just last week turning on Sportstalk with Dan Russell and he had Dan Murphy on. Murphy was stating that there is a rift between the two. No if's and's or but's and used him not being at the Prospect camp as proof of this.

It bugs me. Hodgson is going to be a star. He is a blue chip Calder player. Bring him along at the right pace and develop him so he is a Canuck for life!

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:17 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
The disconnect for me comes from CoHo coming into town and saying "I feel great" followed by not being cleared to play and Gillis admitting the disc still seems to be a problem. I know we've gone over this endlessly, but it'd be nice to get some clear, accurate information, that doesn't involve misspeaks, doublespeaks, etc.

The kid has a great attitude and this injury really has tested his character. Damn, it would be nice to get some positive news about him. For a change.
I don't understand what is wrong with that. He does feel great...they just want to see how the back responds to game situations and specifically physical contact. They are going to want to control that to make sure it is fully 100% and not risk having the back give out again.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Dr. Nucksfan

I'm very worried about Hodgson. I think he's the second coming of Kyle Wellwood.

I mean, come on, this article is all about food and body fat. And more worryingly, about Hodgson's ability to eat.
“He’s an outstanding individual,” said Roberts. “I really think a lot of him. Every day he was here he sat in the kitchen and had lunch with my four year old son, Noah.”
Mind you, spending time with 4 year olds does prepare you for the taunting and chirping you'll face when you play the Oilers...

[I hope it's obvious that this is tongue in cheek...]

Dr. Nucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:24 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Come on...

Media speculation that suggests there is a rift= bad reporting

Media speculation that suggests nothings wrong= great article!

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:32 AM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I don't understand what is wrong with that. He does feel great...they just want to see how the back responds to game situations and specifically physical contact. They are going to want to control that to make sure it is fully 100% and not risk having the back give out again.
Good point.

My first reaction was to say that I hadn't said there was something wrong with that. But of course i did. And it did cause me a disconnect. There is so much noise floating around this situation that it brings out suspicions in me.

Having said that, your essential point is that they are just making sure, etc., etc. But I'm a natural skeptic and I find that there has been enough conflicting info to still raise red flags.

Preaching patience, is of course, at the heart of this argument...and not something I have in great abundance.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Alan Jackson

Via Twitter:

Quote:
benkuzma Cody Hodgson: "I had a second medical test and I'm ready for C Group at camp." C Group is practice contact.

More Hodgson: "I've learned a lot about my body and how to prepare. I have confidence in the training and medical staff here."

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:04 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Lies!

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Both are speculating.
I agree. But I hold professional journalists who write widely-read articles in major newspapers to a higher standard than an hfboard post. If you're going to claim there's a rift, go ahead. Just back it up with facts, sources named or otherwise. If not, stop making things up and then wondering aloud how each and every new Cody Hodgson development influences a narrative of your own invention. That's just bad journalism plain and simple.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Via Twitter:

Hodgson Speaks!

Destroy the calf!

Old
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Via Twitter:
That's reassuring. What time does main camp start today? I just want to know if Hodgson is going to be on the ice!

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Both are speculating.
This is the perfect encapsulation of your bizarre reductionist tendencies. Do you really think there's no difference between an article that is 100% speculation and one that has some new information in it? People don't care about the rift part of the article. They care about the new information about how hard Hodgson worked and what Gary Roberts opinion is of him.

In short, I'd rather read a report on Gary Roberts' opinion of Hodgson and factual information about what Hodgson did this summer than some reporter's wild speculation.

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:20 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
This is the perfect encapsulation of your bizarre reductionist tendencies. Do you really think there's no difference between an article that is 100% speculation and one that has some new information in it? People don't care about the rift part of the article. They care about the new information about how hard Hodgson worked and what Gary Roberts opinion is of him.

In short, I'd rather read a report on Gary Roberts' opinion of Hodgson and factual information about what Hodgson did this summer than some reporter's wild speculation.
All I've wanted all along was for Hodgson himself to comment on the situation. I've never supported a rift theory, more that the franchise is sketchy regarding information on the subject, and thus it would be better for fans and media to talk to Hodgson himself.

I mean, essentially, what just happened, that little 'tweet' was exactly all I wanted, a few comments from Hodgson. The only people appearing radical are people like yourself, acting as if I want something completely out of line with reality.