HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Report: "screaming matches" with DeBoer led to Ballard trade

Old
09-17-2010, 08:28 AM
Coolburn

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Point by point, i am going to humiliate you.

There is no pressure on Deboer in a standings sense. Very few stakeholders, whether it be fans, management or press, expect the Panthers to be a competitive team this year. If last year we were a lottery team, then this year we are also a lottery team. From this perspective, PDB actually has less pressure on actual results.

If Horton and Ballard do well, sure it puts some question marks on our coaches ability to extract maximum capacity. But then it works both ways. PDB coached Horton to his best ever season last year ; and with Horton, its about more about him than the coach he has. Ballard had a terrible year, and i am at a loss to explain why.

Wideman had an awful year. Much like Ballard, he is on a recovery mission. Bernier will suck ; expect it. His influence on Grabner shall be the interesting one.

There shouldn't be a hangover from the Boynton incident because it happened a year and a half ago.

Judging PDB is hard. But its certainly unfair to base his position and tenure on the year upcoming, because the roster is going to be one of the worst in the NHL. Until PDB has a solid roster to work with, or it becomes very apparent that within the dressing room their is significant discontent with him, assessing PDB and deciding to relieve him of his duties seems a little brash.
I only wanted to address the 2 highlighted points. I still think Tallon will be judging PDB regardless of what the roster may or may not look like. I'm sure he is going to expect a lot of the players to the point that he expects significant improvement.

He's (Tallon) already penciled in Higgins as the 2nd line LW and I'm sure expects a return to his 20 goal form. I'm sure Tallon is also expecting Booth to return to form, Frolik to take a bigger role, Matthias to improve and Grabner to be an impact player. If PDB fails to get the performance out of these players, I would seriously not be surprised to see Tallon replace PDB at some point this season.

And remember Tallon replaced Denis Savard quickly into a season and that was because he just found a coach he liked more in Quenneville. So I agree with the premise that the results or how he's getting along with the players (from this article and previous reports from the Boynton incident) may not determine PDB's fate as Panthers coach. I think it will just depend on whether Tallon believes he is the right coach for the team he wants to build or if there's a better candidate available.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:52 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I only wanted to address the 2 highlighted points. I still think Tallon will be judging PDB regardless of what the roster may or may not look like. I'm sure he is going to expect a lot of the players to the point that he expects significant improvement.

He's (Tallon) already penciled in Higgins as the 2nd line LW and I'm sure expects a return to his 20 goal form. I'm sure Tallon is also expecting Booth to return to form, Frolik to take a bigger role, Matthias to improve and Grabner to be an impact player. If PDB fails to get the performance out of these players, I would seriously not be surprised to see Tallon replace PDB at some point this season.

And remember Tallon replaced Denis Savard quickly into a season and that was because he just found a coach he liked more in Quenneville. So I agree with the premise that the results or how he's getting along with the players (from this article and previous reports from the Boynton incident) may not determine PDB's fate as Panthers coach. I think it will just depend on whether Tallon believes he is the right coach for the team he wants to build or if there's a better candidate available.
Oh, Tallon will absolutely expect PDB do well in some aspects. I think he will measure his performance in the ability to coach well certain players, rather than the points we as a team accumilate at the end of the year. Certainly Tallon won't be giving him a free ride.

It will be how he works with certain key players and how he integrates into the Tallon framework that will determine DeBoer's long-term success here.

I hate that always tend to agree with you. I'd love to be your wife.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:03 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
even ballard admitted he sucked *** last year...
I didn't say he had a good year last year. I'm just saying it was for different reasons than said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
no.

if we kill each other though, they don't have to hear any more harebrained ideas like big mac on the first line or hear me try to argue against said ideas for the sake of it
AGAIN!?! It's taking me every ounce of energy and love for the fellow poster NOT to type a page and a half on why it MIGHT be a good idea to TRY! (I never even said defniately!) Dammit.

...in couple's therapy, they teach everyone not to place blame on the other half and to focus on what wrongs you do yourself!
No, it wouldn't be acceptable to say "OK, NO MORE OF ME ARGUING HAREBRAINED IDEAS"
It would however be acceptable to say "OK, NO ME MORE ARGUING" ~~~!!!

...but for us killing each other I could challenge you to a dual...checking my schedule, I can pencil you in for high noon.

Quote:
Judging PDB is hard. But its certainly unfair to base his position and tenure on the year upcoming, because the roster is going to be one of the worst in the NHL. Until PDB has a solid roster to work with, or it becomes very apparent that within the dressing room their is significant discontent with him, assessing PDB and deciding to relieve him of his duties seems a little brash.
I don't know...on Dec 21 we won a two sided battle against the eastern conference champs...I'd say depending on the minor league rotations and who's on what line, we had a damn good roster. Problem is anything that showed work ethic or any kind of physical play, he would send them right back down...
Boyton was playing awesome when he was benched. What would a player and coach be fighting about? If it was anything to do with hockey, I immediately place blame on PDB for trying to critique a guy who knows he shouldn't have to be under the microscope for anything at that time. Again, I don't know exactly, but if...

As for judging him on this year- if anything he's been often accused of being a minor league coach in the bigs...well, now he has a minor league looking team in front of him...how would this not be the best season to judge this coach???

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
Quote:
Panthers coach Pete DeBoer refuted a report out of Vancouver that suggested that defenseman Keith Ballard was traded over the summer because the two had heated arguments during the course of last season.

Ballard, traded to Vancouver in June, told The (Vancouver) Province that he and DeBoer had a number of “screaming matches.’’

DeBoer acknowledged the arguments happened, but said they stemmed from the team’s lack of success as well as Ballard’s admitted disappointing season.

“I don’t expect anyone to be happy with the season we had last year,’’ DeBoer said Thursday. “I would have more concern if players were saying I was fine with how things went and didn’t get in anyone’s face. It is what it is. The environment was the same for Keith the year before when he had one of his best years. It was a tough year on everyone but I make no apologies for my motivation tactics or for getting on top of people. That’s my job.’’

Ballard said Thursday he does not believe the trade stemmed from those arguments because both he and DeBoer are competitors who just wanted to win. Both DeBoer and Ballard said they were fine with each other after each cooled off.

The main factor in Ballard’s trade was likely the $21 million he had remaining over the final five years on a contract he signed upon arriving in South Florida in 2008. General manager Dale Tallon traded Ballard and Victor Oreskovich to Vancouver for the 25th overall pick as well as forwards Steve Bernier and Michael Grabner.

“He was trying to push me, get more out of me and I’m the first guy to say he should have done so,’’ Ballard said from Vancouver. “We raised our voices behind closed doors. We’re competitive people. I’m not the first player to get into a shouting match with a coach and I sure won’t be the last. This happens on every team. I enjoyed my two years in Florida. I had good teammates and the organization treated me and my family very well.

“Aside from us not making the playoffs, I have no complaints about my time with the Florida Panthers.’’

Added DeBoer: “We were both disappointed in how the year went in general. It wasn’t just about his play. I was excited about having the opportunity to getting him back to where he was the previous season. I admire a lot of qualities Keith has. He works hard, he’s a good teammate. He did a lot of things well. I never had an issue with him.

DeBoer has had his share of run-ins with players over the course of his two seasons (re: Nick Boynton, Scott Clemmensen and Ville Koistinen) as coach of the Panthers, but current players backed DeBoer in saying that such disagreements are common during a lengthy season.

The Province report – not offering any sources or quoting Ballard – said that DeBoer is “extremely unpopular with most of the Florida players because he largely treats them like juniors.’’

A number of Florida players stood up for DeBoer and his coaching style on Thursday, with forward David Booth saying “he’s the right coach for this team. He pushes us. Maybe some guys don’t like that, I don’t know. I personally love playing for him.’’

As far as players hating playing for DeBoer as The Province suggested, defenseman Bryan Allen said that was not the case.

“Did we all get along last year? No. The way things were going, we shouldn’t have, truthfully,’’ said Allen, Ballard’s roommate last season. “No one had a good year last year. It was frustrating for everyone, including the coaches, players and fans. Pete wasn’t happy and hates to lose. That shows. He has passion for the game and tried to get the best out of us.’’
More info from GR

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:30 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

“I don’t expect anyone to be happy with the season we had last year,’’ DeBoer said Thursday. “I would have more concern if players were saying I was fine with how things went and didn’t get in anyone’s face. It is what it is. The environment was the same for Keith the year before when he had one of his best years. It was a tough year on everyone but I make no apologies for my motivation tactics or for getting on top of people. That’s my job.’’

...and THAT right there proves my ****ing point. He thinks Ballard was in the same environment?! (add frustrated/bang head against wall smiley)

He makes no apologies for his motivation tactics...people are different! His motivation tactics should be for whatever's best for the player, not how proud he feels relaying whatever message a certain way. Get over yourself and make your players play like the best THEY can, not the best someone else can.

Wanted Campbell to pay like Weiss, and Weiss to play like Horton, and Horton to be a long distance sprinter, and he wanted MacIntyre to sit on the bench no matter what.

What exactly did this guy scream about?
"...AND BY NO MEANS SHOULD ANYONE GO ANYWHERE NEAR EITHER NET!"

LOL they're still calling trying to get my money for this year's operation...

Last edited by CHGoalie27: 09-17-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old
09-17-2010, 02:33 PM
harv3317

there are many questions surrounding deboer, both how he treatrs palyers and his game management. i don't doubt for a minute that some players dislike him. the way he utilized players and dolled out the minutes was subject to some criticism. i', stil on the fence concerning deboer which is not a good thing!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
I didn't say he had a good year last year. I'm just saying it was for different reasons than said.

AGAIN!?! It's taking me every ounce of energy and love for the fellow poster NOT to type a page and a half on why it MIGHT be a good idea to TRY! (I never even said defniately!) Dammit.

...in couple's therapy, they teach everyone not to place blame on the other half and to focus on what wrongs you do yourself!
No, it wouldn't be acceptable to say "OK, NO MORE OF ME ARGUING HAREBRAINED IDEAS"
It would however be acceptable to say "OK, NO ME MORE ARGUING" ~~~!!!

...but for us killing each other I could challenge you to a dual...checking my schedule, I can pencil you in for high noon.

I don't know...on Dec 21 we won a two sided battle against the eastern conference champs...I'd say depending on the minor league rotations and who's on what line, we had a damn good roster. Problem is anything that showed work ethic or any kind of physical play, he would send them right back down...
Boyton was playing awesome when he was benched. What would a player and coach be fighting about? If it was anything to do with hockey, I immediately place blame on PDB for trying to critique a guy who knows he shouldn't have to be under the microscope for anything at that time. Again, I don't know exactly, but if...

As for judging him on this year- if anything he's been often accused of being a minor league coach in the bigs...well, now he has a minor league looking team in front of him...how would this not be the best season to judge this coach???
1) Whaaat???

2)Boynton was playing horribly when he was benched, thus why he was benched for 2/3 of the game. When Boynton had his ups he was good, when he had his downs he was terrible. That was definitely during one of his down periods.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Whole lot of hyperbole here that i'm not sure I buy.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 01:33 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
1) Whaaat???

2)Boynton was playing horribly when he was benched, thus why he was benched for 2/3 of the game. When Boynton had his ups he was good, when he had his downs he was terrible. That was definitely during one of his down periods.
1) ..like whenever Deboer had the choice between say Kreps and Repik or Oresko and Duco...he'd usually seem to go the stylings like those of the first pair...Dec 21 was a beautiful roster most obviously made for a playoff battle...I could be wrong but I don't think that he had that exact line-up ever again...

2) He and Ballard were as perfect as you could ask of them during the dogfight that saw us barely missing the playoffs tied in pts with the 8th..the dogfight that seemed to fall off when Boynton didn't take that road trip after he had one (or two but no more) bad games...and the team didn't recover. Like our playoff ride ended at
Zednik's neck the year before, I saw our playoff ride truly died during that road trip that year.

Old
09-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Oh, Tallon will absolutely expect PDB do well in some aspects. I think he will measure his performance in the ability to coach well certain players, rather than the points we as a team accumilate at the end of the year. Certainly Tallon won't be giving him a free ride.

It will be how he works with certain key players and how he integrates into the Tallon framework that will determine DeBoer's long-term success here.

I hate that always tend to agree with you. I'd love to be your wife.
Well I think Tallon is still expecting something almost immediately. Based on the comments from him yesterday about implementing a system, I think he's not expecting another slow start like previously yrs:
Quote:
Time to implement system? "It's the same for everyone. We have a good training camp schedule this year. We put everything in place to be really stable, not chasing all over the place. We got a nice solid week before the season starts so we could work on systems. … I'm confident when we hit Edmonton in October that we’ll be ready to go."
Now based on that I really think Deboer is on a shorter leash than some of us may think. If he starts off too slow in October, I wouldnt be surprised to see him let go before November. And if that happens, I could see the following be potential candidates to replace him, all of whom are currently available and have NHL coaching experience:

Bob Hartley
Craig MacTavish
Eddie Olczyk (Blackhawks connection)
Michel Therrien
Rick Tocchet
Kevin Constantine

I would actually prefer Constantine as he was working with youngsters in Houston and he has high expectations for players. Hartley might be a decent choice too but Tocchet may not be a bad choice based on how he worked with Stamkos & Downie last season.

Source: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports...nthers/2010/09

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 10:57 AM
Holy Jokinen

DT could also just know he's pretty much gonna get rid of Deboer after this season, and so he's just posturing by raising expectations. So when the team doesn't do as well as he expects, he has reason to fire PDB and can back it up with the expectations he set at the beginning of the season.

If, by some chance, the team does do better than expected (playoffs) then he probably won't fire him. So i think he's just putting himself in a position where its not a concern to fire PDB in February or after the season or something...

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
1) ..like whenever Deboer had the choice between say Kreps and Repik or Oresko and Duco...he'd usually seem to go the stylings like those of the first pair...Dec 21 was a beautiful roster most obviously made for a playoff battle...I could be wrong but I don't think that he had that exact line-up ever again...
It was a roster that if Horton hadn't gotten injured, we might have made the playoffs. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a damn good roster or a beautiful one. That game against Philly was great, yes, but it takes 82 games to make the playoffs. Every team is capable of a few great games here and there throughout a season. Even though we'll never know for sure, I don't think even with a lineup with more toughness that we'd have fared a whole lot differently last season. I mean face it, it was a lineup that had to stay mostly healthy to make the playoffs. It didn't, and subsequently they didn't. Maybe Booth wouldn't have gotten nailed, then again maybe he would have. No one knows these things.

Quote:
2) He and Ballard were as perfect as you could ask of them during the dogfight that saw us barely missing the playoffs tied in pts with the 8th..the dogfight that seemed to fall off when Boynton didn't take that road trip after he had one (or two but no more) bad games...and the team didn't recover. Like our playoff ride ended at
Zednik's neck the year before, I saw our playoff ride truly died during that road trip that year.
I definitely wouldn't say they were as perfect as you could ask. They were a solid 2nd pairing, let's leave it at that. It seems like you're trying to gloss over Boynton's bad times. He definitely had his fair share. When he was bad, he was baaaaaad. And in NY when he was benched, he was bad.

While the Boynton suspension may have played a part, I don't think that was entirely the reason we missed the playoffs, maybe not even a big reason. When we started to slide, that also coincided exactly with when Horton and McCabe got injured in the same game against St. Louis. At that point, we were a couple games above .500 in the last several games we had played. Once they went out, then we went into a slump. That definitely played a big part.

Old
09-18-2010, 01:24 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
Boynton's not good, thats why Anaheim and Chicago both played him in the minors.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:13 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

For all those who are saying that the writing is on the wall for DeBoer, are you missing the obvious?

"Report: "Screaming Matches" with DeBoer led to Ballard trade"

Led to Ballard trade.

There was a conflict with the coach. If there was doubt in his ability, or if Tallon didn't think he was the guy - it would be Pete gone and Ballard still around. And Andy Murray probably would have been on board by now.

Ballard sucked last season. He deserved whatever **** he got. And now he's gone, and Tallon got GREAT value for him.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

For all those who are saying that the writing is on the wall for DeBoer, are you missing the obvious?

"Report: "Screaming Matches" with DeBoer led to Ballard trade"

Led to Ballard trade.

There was a conflict with the coach. If there was doubt in his ability, or if Tallon didn't think he was the guy - it would be Pete gone and Ballard still around. And Andy Murray probably would have been on board by now.

Ballard sucked last season. He deserved whatever **** he got. And now he's gone, and Tallon got GREAT value for him.
Doesn't mean he writing's on the wall with DeBoer, and Ballard's cap hit had as much to do with it as anything else. He had a bad year, it happens, he could bounce back and have the kind of year he had the one before. Just because Tallon hasn't brought in his own guy yet doesn't mean he's overly happy with DeBoer.

09-19-2010, 03:42 AM
ursavolta

Just to peek in the conversation...

In some interviews... when asked about the ballard trade..

tallon said that ballard's paycheck was wayy to big for him to swallow... since we need some help on the forward line.. and we have some decent D /D prospects to play around with (look at garrison cutting the line decently last season).. that he traded ballard to rejuvenate our forward line with different players/prospects... Grabs - Big Ben - and a prospect..just a different view to that part..

was the trade a good move? Personally i like it alot..

Now, back to Deboer.. lets look at his situation with the cats.. did he come in and coach a full roster of playoff veteran players that had brilliant chemistry and fire to push for playoffs?

pfft no way..

he had to work with what he has.. unifying the team slowly..

He had to deal with a team that basically trades/reworks half their team roster for his entire rookie season..

"Look at philly how the had their coach fired/replaced and they made it to the playoffs..." They BARELY made it in.. and they have key players in their line up that any coach would love to have..

Last season we had a slew of new players trying to adjust to each other...

now it's the same this year.. a bunch of players in and out..

Now i understand that every team goes through this process somewhat... but you have to look at what he has now on the ice..

With the way the team is looking now.. i like where we stand..alot.. im very very excited...
but its going to take time for us to develop a play-off contending
team.. im not expected deboer to work magic... not expecting him to be a saint..

But, every team has a "identity" that everyone talks about.. tallon walks in shines his brass balls around to everyone and basically says that we are going to be a tough team to play against.. mean and gritty....hey that sound awesome..

Last year i thought we fell short of that.. (counting injuries.. and shortcomings)..

with tallon on board.. and the players we have.. i will be judging peter for HOW the game is being carried out every night.. and HOW he shifts his lines through the season (with peters.. and the other players we have)..HOW his players deal with the situations on the ICE.. There could be a bunch of altercations in the locker room.. pfft i don't care..it happens.. if it doesnt happen that would be completely weird.. he was trying to push his players to be better.. WHICH WE NEED TO HAPPEN.. if he didn't do it.. he wouldn't be doing his job..

altercations happen all the time.. but we know our place and do our job... crap look at the stones/beatles.. they hated each other..but they made it

if it spills over to the ice then that's a problem...

i personally think this whole "heated screaming match" debate is kinda of lame.. . im interested whats on the ice every game..

To me he worked hard with what he has but can't hack being a somewhat rookie nhl coach with the players we have.. it's hard..

i see him being replaced if the team does not toughen up soon.. but think we should give him a shot.. specially tallon on board and the new team we acquired..

just a different light to the conversation.

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 11:07 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
Just to peek in the conversation...

In some interviews... when asked about the ballard trade..

tallon said that ballard's paycheck was wayy to big for him to swallow... since we need some help on the forward line.. and we have some decent D /D prospects to play around with (look at garrison cutting the line decently last season).. that he traded ballard to rejuvenate our forward line with different players/prospects... Grabs - Big Ben - and a prospect..just a different view to that part..

was the trade a good move? Personally i like it alot..

Now, back to Deboer.. lets look at his situation with the cats.. did he come in and coach a full roster of playoff veteran players that had brilliant chemistry and fire to push for playoffs?

pfft no way..

he had to work with what he has.. unifying the team slowly..

He had to deal with a team that basically trades/reworks half their team roster for his entire rookie season..

"Look at philly how the had their coach fired/replaced and they made it to the playoffs..." They BARELY made it in.. and they have key players in their line up that any coach would love to have..

Last season we had a slew of new players trying to adjust to each other...

now it's the same this year.. a bunch of players in and out..

Now i understand that every team goes through this process somewhat... but you have to look at what he has now on the ice..

With the way the team is looking now.. i like where we stand..alot.. im very very excited...
but its going to take time for us to develop a play-off contending
team.. im not expected deboer to work magic... not expecting him to be a saint..

But, every team has a "identity" that everyone talks about.. tallon walks in shines his brass balls around to everyone and basically says that we are going to be a tough team to play against.. mean and gritty....hey that sound awesome..

Last year i thought we fell short of that.. (counting injuries.. and shortcomings)..

with tallon on board.. and the players we have.. i will be judging peter for HOW the game is being carried out every night.. and HOW he shifts his lines through the season (with peters.. and the other players we have)..HOW his players deal with the situations on the ICE.. There could be a bunch of altercations in the locker room.. pfft i don't care..it happens.. if it doesnt happen that would be completely weird.. he was trying to push his players to be better.. WHICH WE NEED TO HAPPEN.. if he didn't do it.. he wouldn't be doing his job..

altercations happen all the time.. but we know our place and do our job... crap look at the stones/beatles.. they hated each other..but they made it

if it spills over to the ice then that's a problem...

i personally think this whole "heated screaming match" debate is kinda of lame.. . im interested whats on the ice every game..

To me he worked hard with what he has but can't hack being a somewhat rookie nhl coach with the players we have.. it's hard..

i see him being replaced if the team does not toughen up soon.. but think we should give him a shot.. specially tallon on board and the new team we acquired..

just a different light to the conversation.
I agree, Ballard being traded had a lot more to do with Tallon than with DeBoer. He just didn't fit into our long term plans and we got to dump his huge contract that could have potentially become an albatross to us. And we got back splendid value. Plus you can't ignore the realities of an NHL team's payroll. We got 2 quality players for 1 and still saved about 2M in the process. Now we are able to come in right about 50M this season. It was definitely a good trade for us in the position we were in.

Old
09-20-2010, 09:04 PM
lefty2time*

Vancouver is an awesome team for player development...they really get the most out of their players *Samuellson, Ehrhoff, Burrows*. World class coaching staff....i hope these two things really help Ballard elevate his game to another level...or .to the level he was at before his poor last season. I didnt watch him too much..but ppl say he played like a beast for a while there in pheonix and fla. He has the tools and the tool box....he just needs surroundings he's comfortable with. Hamhuis Edler Ehrhoff Bieksa Salo is a really strong supporting cast for him.
I think Grabner is goin to be a 30 goal scorer very soon. It was just a few years ago the Canucks brought up Mason Raymond......and he's quickly developed into a 25 goal scorer getting better and better..they had the same plans for Grabner..who imo is a better natural scorer. Bernier still has a glimmer of that top 6 powerforward potential..but realistically..he's a good 3rd liner. He throws 140 hits a year...scores 15 goals....and is willing to drop the gloves the odd time...He elevates his game in the playoffs too. He's super nice...ive bumped into him a few times in clubs. I think people bash him ...look at him in a negative light because he was projected to be a top line powerforward.....but what he is now is still a good player.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Vancouver is an awesome team for player development...they really get the most out of their players *Samuellson, Ehrhoff, Burrows*. World class coaching staff....i hope these two things really help Ballard elevate his game to another level...or .to the level he was at before his poor last season. I didnt watch him too much..but ppl say he played like a beast for a while there in pheonix and fla. He has the tools and the tool box....he just needs surroundings he's comfortable with. Hamhuis Edler Ehrhoff Bieksa Salo is a really strong supporting cast for him.
I think Grabner is goin to be a 30 goal scorer very soon. It was just a few years ago the Canucks brought up Mason Raymond......and he's quickly developed into a 25 goal scorer getting better and better..they had the same plans for Grabner..who imo is a better natural scorer. Bernier still has a glimmer of that top 6 powerforward potential..but realistically..he's a good 3rd liner. He throws 140 hits a year...scores 15 goals....and is willing to drop the gloves the odd time...He elevates his game in the playoffs too. He's super nice...ive bumped into him a few times in clubs. I think people bash him ...look at him in a negative light because he was projected to be a top line powerforward.....but what he is now is still a good player.
I think Ballard will do very well in Vancouver, now he'll be placed in his proper role as a good 2nd pairing d-man, and now he's #3 or 4 on the depth chart. This trade has likely potential to work out great for both teams.

Old
09-21-2010, 02:08 AM
quat

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Welcome to the Vancouver media. Yaack.

This is exactly the kind of unsubstantiated fluff that we get showered with seven days a week. Off the cuff comments that do little but piss fans off and turn them against either the players or the management.

Fun stuff eh?

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:44 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
My take on all of this. Whether Scotty Bowman or Bozo the Clown were coaching this particular roster this season, the results would be the same.

What's up with the Scotty Bowman "Glamourshot" or "Olan Mills prom special"?

And on a seperate note - it was rumored that the Hawks canning Savard 5 games into the 2008-09 season was a McDonough/Bowman led thing, and they forced Tallon into doing it. Not saying that Tallon won't can PDB - but just that there was some indication that it might not have been his call that led to Savard getting the hook early a couple of years ago.

Last edited by Beukeboom Fan: 09-23-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote