HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Cody Hodgson Discussion

Old
09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Hodgson has been cleared to play as per Team 1040; will be skating in 'Group C' today, which is the 'coming off injured' and 'house-leaguer' group apparently.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:26 PM
Pascha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Hodgson has been cleared to play as per Team 1040; will be skating in 'Group C' today, which is the 'coming off injured' and 'house-leaguer' group apparently.
That's good. He has to impress, show everyone that he's healthy and ready for the NHL, or he goes to the Moose.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
lush
@jasonlush

I've suspected for some time that it was planned all along that Cody would miss that prospect tournament. Is it really that far fetched?

Assuming that was the case (which may not be accurate) it's then up to fans to decide whether it was good to just give him the time, be careful, let things rest, why risk his back in a rookie tournament after they wouldn't risk it in the AHL playoffs. OR conclude that he's a spoiled brat. There's no end in sight to the debate but I'm delighted to hear he's out on the ice today.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:59 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I've suspected for some time that it was planned all along that Cody would miss that prospect tournament. Is it really that far fetched?

Assuming that was the case (which may not be accurate) it's then up to fans to decide whether it was good to just give him the time, be careful, let things rest, why risk his back in a rookie tournament after they wouldn't risk it in the AHL playoffs. OR conclude that he's a spoiled brat. There's no end in sight to the debate but I'm delighted to hear he's out on the ice today.
So then the Canucks were being deliberately deceptive when Hodgson was featured in advertising for the tournament?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Kuzma and Hosea updated today saying Hodgson has just received another medical evaluation and has been cleared to practice with Group C, which I believe is the prospects moving up to the main camp. So not many veterans.

Most likely they are easing Hodgson in, but it's a promising sign...and IMO, keeping him out of the prospects tournament was a good idea. Iffy back when all these kids are running around hitting and fighting to make an impression likely would not have been the best idea.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
So then the Canucks were being deliberately deceptive when Hodgson was featured in advertising for the tournament?
That's my operating assumption. Truth in advertising is a misnomer.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:15 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
I don't really know what to say about it, I saw the add and I admit it lead me to believe he would participate, but then as an educated Canucks fan who follows the team closely I also thought it was simply odd. Then again how many people even know who #39 was? Another add had Henrik Sedin in it, but he wasn't at the rookie camp he's just a good face to throw out there based on his recent accolades. It wasn't like a press release saying Hodgson would be there.

Besides, when I say "The Canucks" I would imagine that should have read "Gillis and his trusted circle of power". I doubt he would have mentioned this information to the people who did the add. Also I saw Hodgon listed as our #1 C on the lineup/roster page on canucks.com. Gillis probably wouldn't have told the website content creators this either.

Let me put it this way. The press release that announced Cody wouldn't be there was 7 days ago. I just think Gillis in his head, knew this would happen before that announcement. Whether it was the night before or months ago I can't profess to know.

Old
09-17-2010, 01:30 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
I don't really know what to say about it, I saw the add and I admit it lead me to believe he would participate, but then as an educated Canucks fan who follows the team closely I also thought it was simply odd. Then again how many people even know who #39 was? Another add had Henrik Sedin in it, but he wasn't at the rookie camp he's just a good face to throw out there based on his recent accolades. It wasn't like a press release saying Hodgson would be there.

Besides, when I say "The Canucks" I would imagine that should have read "Gillis and his trusted circle of power". I doubt he would have mentioned this information to the people who did the add. Also I saw Hodgon listed as our #1 C on the lineup/roster page on canucks.com. Gillis probably wouldn't have told the website content creators this either.

Let me put it this way. The press release that announced Cody wouldn't be there was 7 days ago. I just think Gillis in his head, knew this would happen before that announcement. Whether it was the night before or months ago I can't profess to know.
I feel this answer is a little too nuanced for our board lawyer ... a little more black and white would be preferable in the future.

All aboard the Rift Raft!

(just in case..)

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
That's my operating assumption. Truth in advertising is a misnomer.
Not so.

Quote:
Misleading advertising and deceptive marketing practices are criminal offences under the Competition Act. The Act applies to all representations to the public to promote the sale of products, regardless of form. Both companies and individuals can be charged. In situations where it can be proven that an individual is directly responsible for an offence under the misleading advertising and deceptive marketing practices provisions, the Director will not hesitate to recommend to the Attorney General of Canada that charges be laid under the Act.

Section 52(1)(a) of the Act contains the general prohibition against misleading advertising and states that misleading advertising will occur when a materially misleading representation is made to the public in the promotion of a product or service. If the representation could influence a consumer to buy the product or service advertised, it is considered to be material. To determine whether an advertisement is misleading, the courts consider the general impression it conveys, as well as its literal meaning. Advertisers are often surprised to learn that it is not a valid defence to say that they did not intend to mislead their customers. This was recently upheld by the Supreme Court of Canada in the wholesale Travel case. The Crown need only prove that the effect of the advertisement was misleading.
http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/00989.html

Old
09-17-2010, 01:34 PM
ddawg1950

Well, you just can't believe anyone anymore, can you?

ddawg1950 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
I feel this answer is a little too nuanced for our board lawyer ... a little more black and white would be preferable in the future.

(just in case..)
The law in this area is pretty clear.

Old
09-17-2010, 01:43 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post

(just in case..)
It won't be the last time this forum is presented with one of my endless ramblings!

Old
09-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Canucks4CupPrettyPlz

benkuzma tweets:
More Cody: "My back has healed. I just need to get the timing back. My timeline will be based on progression."

Canucks4CupPrettyPlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Starfighter
Still in my prime

Quote:
Maybe the advertising was published before they knew for sure who was going to be on the roster. I seriously doubt that the prospect game is so commercially important that the Canucks would "deceive" their own fan base to sell cheap tickets. What monetary gain would that get them? A few lousy thousand or so? This hockey market is a big one not a desperate one.The notion of a petty marketing consipracy is purely for entertainment.

And as for Hodgson.. I agree with Roberts. Just give him some time, let him heal and assess his abilities when he starts playing. I think its amusing that people are penciling him into the starting lineup already based on his hype and his awards. Being a top ten draft pick doesn't automatically mean that your game will transate well at the NHL level and become a superstar, there's tons of top ten picks that turn out to be busts because of poor development or injuries. Ill pencil Hodgson into my starting lineup the second he starts showing that he deserves the spot. So far he hasn't even done that yet.

Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
Maybe the advertising was published before they knew for sure who was going to be on the roster. I seriously doubt that the prospect game is so commercially important that the Canucks would "deceive" their own fan base to sell cheap tickets. What monetary gain would that get them? A few lousy thousand or so? This hockey market is a big one not a desperate one.The notion of a petty marketing consipracy is purely for entertainment.
I was answering the assertion that the Canucks never intended to have Hodgson at the prospect camp.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:05 PM
Bean in Charge

Quote:
I was answering the assertion that the Canucks never intended to have Hodgson at the prospect camp.
good advertising isn't about truth. it's about getting bums in seats ($$$).

Bean in Charge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:24 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSightedReaction View Post
benkuzma tweets:
More Cody: "My back has healed. I just need to get the timing back. My timeline will be based on progression."
That's what I was thinking before. They're treating this like any other injured player coming back. You want to gradually increase the intensity for them in practice and monitor their progress.

I think their hope is that he progresses from each step and the final step is being in the Moose lineup right off the bat in a top 6 role.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:36 PM
billvanseattle

Prospects

I think its wise to have had cody sit. The prospects camp is a place for guys trying to prove themselves, and someone coming off an injury would be insane to play there.

At the Canucks camp players know that if they take out a superstar, or top prospect, it is not going to help their chances. This is not true of the prospects tourney. Someone running a top prospect would go over great in their own organization.

I am looking forward to Cody being a contender for the Calder.

I noticed that every proposed lineup for the last month had cody pencilled in for the 3rd line. Then we give a try out to BM and PS and all of a sudden Cody is scheduled for manitoba, perhaps for the year. Give me a break.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:38 PM
VanEric

That's because Gillis heavily hinted that Hodgson will probably start the year in Manitoba so people changed their thinking.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Starfighter
Still in my prime

Quote:
Your answer was ended with a ? so naturally I thought you were asking something... But now I realize that it was intended as more of a paraphrase or rhetorical question on a prevous post. Basically I respectfully DISAGREE with the IDEA of "the Canucks were being deliberatly deceptive" because the motives behind that idea are irrational to me. Ok let's assume that the Canucks never intended Cody to play. AV confirmed with the press that Cody was not going to play well in advance during press conference. It was also broadcasted on sports radio that Cody was not going to play that game. And it was mentioned on tv that he wasn't going to play. So the idea of intentional, ill-hearted, dishonest, DECEPTION is quite inaccurate.

Last edited by Starfighter: 09-17-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Starfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:19 PM
Proto

Quote:
Is it your operating assumption that Axe Hair Gel will result in a bevvy of beautiful young co-eds chasing you around the local supermarket?

I would think it would be next to impossible to prove that the Canucks did or did not have a plan to bring Hodsgon to the tournament before the advertisements were given the go ahead.

Proto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:31 PM
VanEric

They likely did the advertising materials way before they would have known that Hodgson wasn't going to be there.

And I'm not too sure how closely the departments work together and if they even run stuff like that by Gillis.

Old
09-17-2010, 03:31 PM
lush
@jasonlush

The last thing I want to do is get into a legal debate with Wetcoaster, especially considering the fact that I'm not 100% certain I know which advert he's even referring too specifically. But really, advertising with players who engage in a physical sport can't be accountable for injuries sustained by atheletes they employ. Is it illegal for the Canucks to print an advert for opening night with a player on it that gets traded late in the pre-season? What about a player that gets injured in the late pre-season?

Old
09-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Ernie

wow is this argument ever grasping at straws.

If Gillis actually knew whether Hodgson was going to play in the prospect tourney or not, it seems very doubtful that he'd share that information down the chain of command to the marketing department.

So what do the marketing people do? They just put the Canucks' top prospect on the advertisement. Which just happens to be Cody Hodgson.

You're an idiot if you think there's any kind of legal case for false advertising. It's not like they put Alex Ovechkin on there.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:40 PM
Vancouver_2010
Go Canucks & Oilers

I doubt he is going to make it, our team is simply too deep for rookies to crack in now.

Vancouver_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote