HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Taylor Beck

Old
09-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Taylor Beck

Will we see Taylor get a 10 game tryout with the Preds, if he keeps up his pace in the pre-season with the big club ?

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 12:47 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Will we see Taylor get a 10 game tryout with the Preds, if he keeps up his pace in the pre-season with the big club ?
There are a lot of players who could see a tryout; Beck, Ellis, COR. Problem is number of roster spots. Ellis, and I'd bet the cash in my wallet, WILL get a tryout but Beck and the rest, no unless they have a PHENOMINAL camp and FORCE the team to make a move.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:06 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Roussel and Beck will go back to juniors, probably on the first cut. They both have work to do before they're ready for this level.

Ellis could earn a tryout, but we're so loaded up with defenders that I think he's a long shot.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Dave is a killer
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Roussel and Beck will go back to juniors, probably on the first cut. They both have work to do before they're ready for this level.

Ellis could earn a tryout, but we're so loaded up with defenders that I think he's a long shot.
this is what really pisses me off ... the fact he/his team has nothing left to prove in the junior level ... he really should be in Milwaukee this season

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 02:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I don't think Beck's skating skills are NHL worthy yet, but he could prove me wrong and earn a spot through an awesome preseason. I just don't expect it though with 21 NHL ready forwards already in camp and Beck having still a few things to master at the junior level...

I honestly don't think anyone with junior eligibility remaining will get a chance to open the season with the Predators this year. There is simply far too much depth at all positions...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:01 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I honestly don't think anyone with junior eligibility remaining will get a chance to open the season with the Predators this year. There is simply far too much depth at all positions...
I don't know. Johnson has a two-way and Sulzer could be traded. I would love to see Ellis get a tryout in the NHL for 9 games. As always, Time and money effect everything and this time the answer is time. At this time, the roster appears set but one move to dump a one-way defenseman changes everything.

BigFatCat999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:

Ellis should at the very least be on Milwaukee this season, having him in the O for another season would be absolutely stupid and pontless to his development. He has destroyed that league and has been the best defender in the O for 3 seasons running!

Beck should get time in Milwaukee this season, see how his big frame can adapt into the AHL. Roussel probably the same, but I am more excited about the development of Beck. I believe Latta should also be mentioned in this category, but of the three I can see Latta getting one more year in the O.

I would love for Josi, Blum, and Ellis to get to know each others games together in Milwaukee for the season, but I bet by seasons end that two of those three are permanent preds!

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Ellis should at the very least be on Milwaukee this season, having him in the O for another season would be absolutely stupid and pontless to his development. He has destroyed that league and has been the best defender in the O for 3 seasons running!

Beck should get time in Milwaukee this season, see how his big frame can adapt into the AHL. Roussel probably the same, but I am more excited about the development of Beck. I believe Latta should also be mentioned in this category, but of the three I can see Latta getting one more year in the O.

I would love for Josi, Blum, and Ellis to get to know each others games together in Milwaukee for the season, but I bet by seasons end that two of those three are permanent preds!
It's not up to the Preds where Ellis\Beck play this season. They're both too young to go anywhere but Nashville or their OHL teams. They CAN join the Admirals when their seasons end, and surely will, but not before then.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 03:37 PM
glenngineer

I believe Ellis, Beck and Latta have to go back to the O this season as they are not old enough to play in Milwaukee. Any of them could get a 9 game tryout with the big club this year but all will be in the O this year. While I agree Ellis has tore up the O, age restrictions prevent him from being anywhere but Nashville or the O this season. Those are the rules.

As far as Beck's skating ability or lack thereof, Hornqvist netted 30 last year and he's not the best of skaters. At some point we have to stop focusing on individual skills and focus on the results that are produced on the ice. Yes, skill is wonderful but if he's a lousy skater but has a knack of scoring goals at whatever level he's playing at, I can live with his lack of skating ability.

I remember when Jimmy Johnson was coaching the Cowboys and putting the team together, he drafted playmakers and not what these guys did at the combines. He wanted to see what they could do on the field, not on the track or the weights. Same needs to be done at some level with our prospects. Can they play? That's ultimately the bottom line. If Beck can score and he can't skate, does it really matter? His responsibility is the point. He doesn't need amazing skating to take care of his defensive responsibilities. If Ellis can compete at this level, does it matter if he's on the smaller side? If he's getting the job done, it shouldn't matter. I think we get caught up in some of these things and forget about the end results.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Xion

Quote:
this is what really pisses me off ... the fact he/his team has nothing left to prove in the junior level ... he really should be in Milwaukee this season
He would be but there is a minimum age requirement in the AHL. You have to be 20 before the new year and Ellis is only 19. I think his birthday is in the first or second week in January. So its basically the pro club or back to juniors. I can guarantee that he he will be with the pro club for the first 10 game to get a feel of what it will be like. After that he needs to go back to juniors or it will start his contract.

Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:43 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion View Post
He would be but there is a minimum age requirement in the AHL. You have to be 20 before the new year and Ellis is only 19. I think his birthday is in the first or second week in January. So its basically the pro club or back to juniors. I can guarantee that he he will be with the pro club for the first 10 game to get a feel of what it will be like. After that he needs to go back to juniors or it will start his contract.
Can he be here for more than 10 games? I know he can play in 9 before he has to be sent back but say Nashville plays him every other game for the first 18 or 19 games, can we do that and then send him back? Give him a little bit more of a feel for what the NHL is like that way.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Can he be here for more than 10 games? I know he can play in 9 before he has to be sent back but say Nashville plays him every other game for the first 18 or 19 games, can we do that and then send him back? Give him a little bit more of a feel for what the NHL is like that way.
The NHL-CHL agreement stipulates that a player who has not turned 20 years of age by December 31st of the current season or who has not played in at least 4 seasons of CHL hockey prior to the start of the current year must be returned to his CHL program if he is not a part of the NHL roster.

Ellis was born on January 3rd, which means he misses the cutoff by a whole 72 hours and unfortunately has only played in three seasons of junior hockey to this point. Therefore, if the Predators choose to cut him at any point this season from the NHL roster, he must be returned to Windsor (OHL) until their season is finished.

The 9 game rule you reference is not a mandatory date to return the player. The Predators could keep Ellis or any prospect for as long as they want this season on the NHL roster, however once the player plays in his 10th NHL game his contract is no longer eligible to slide and the clock begins towards free agency.

Ellis, Beck, COR, and Latta all have contracts that are eligible to slide this season. What that means is that if those players play in less than 10 NHL games this season, then their contracts are deferred for the year and will begin the following season. The other caveat to sliding contracts is that the contracts do not count against the maximum of 50 per organization, which could play a role in transactions later in the year as the Predators are currently at 51 with the ability to go to 54 if all four contracts slide this year.

Here's a look at our Reserve List that shows all 51 contracts the Predators are carrying right now:

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...9&YearBox=2010

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
He would be but there is a minimum age requirement in the AHL. You have to be 20 before the new year and Ellis is only 19.
This is only partially true. CHL players have to be 20 years old before the start of the new year OR have four years of CHL experience before playing in the AHL. NCAA or European-based players can be signed and sent to the AHL right out of the draft.

We already have ten defensemen competing for seven spots before Ellis is thrown into the mix, so I just cannot see him staying with the club. He may stay late into camp, but I would be absolutely dumbfounded if he made the team over Sulzer, Franson, Parent, Johnson, Blum, and Josi.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 09-17-2010 at 10:30 PM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Xion

Quote:
This is only partially true. CHL players have to be 20 years old before the start of the new year OR have four years of CHL experience before playing in the AHL. NCAA or European-based players can be signed and sent to the AHL right out of the draft.

We already have ten defensemen competing for seven spots before Ellis is thrown into the mix, so I just cannot see him staying with the club. He may stay late into camp, but I would be absolutely dumbfounded if he made the team over Sulzer, Franson, Parent, Johnson, Blum, and Josi.
Awesome, thanks for clarifying that. I assume that the CHL rule is put into place to preserve the league. Also it is 9 games not my a fore mentioned 10.

I think it is very likely that Ellis makes the team out of camp. He may not play any games but the experience with the team is invaluable. If we carry 8 Defensemen for the first 9 games that would really screw up the club. However I do agree that if Blum, Johnson, or Josi force the coaching staffs hand then we will most likely see Ellis gone to the CHL before the season.

Xion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Awesome, thanks for clarifying that. I assume that the CHL rule is put into place to preserve the league. Also it is 9 games not my a fore mentioned 10.

I think it is very likely that Ellis makes the team out of camp. He may not play any games but the experience with the team is invaluable. If we carry 8 Defensemen for the first 9 games that would really screw up the club. However I do agree that if Blum, Johnson, or Josi force the coaching staffs hand then we will most likely see Ellis gone to the CHL before the season.
Not to mention Laakso, Sulzer, and Oliver-Roussel. We have so many players ready for the NHL, and we just dont have the roster spots. Ellis would have to be pretty incredible at camp to knock off all of these guys.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:29 PM
dulzhok

he's a great prospect

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 11:53 PM
predfan24

He might be what we hoped Budish would be for us. A big power forward with great hands. Agility in his skating can improved with hard work. I'd rather he have an issue with his skating then with skill cause you can't teach that. I'm really excited about him.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I didn't notice his skating being that much of an issue, he seemed to be in the right places at the right times, I was impressed by his drive for sure.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 09:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

what impressed me more than anything were his offensive instincts. I had him pegged as more of a garbage goal power forward kind of guy, but his passing, vision and shot were all way above what I expected.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I didn't notice his skating being that much of an issue, he seemed to be in the right places at the right times, I was impressed by his drive for sure.
I had the same thought as yesterday at the scrimmage as that was the first time I really was able to sit down and pay close attention to Beck. His skating deficiencies are highly overstated. He isn't the most fleet of foot but he he isn't a pylon and he certainly isn't any worse than Hornqvist was when he first came over to NA. After watching them him and Franson's skating both aren't as bad as you would come to believe if you just listened to people's opinions from the board.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:09 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed with both of you guys he looks like he's confortable with the puck on his stick, what I loved the most was if you to stop him from going to the net because he's going there...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote