Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

Changes coming in Saskatoon

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2005, 01:01 PM
saskhab

vCash: 500
Changes coming in Saskatoon

Don't know if it's available online, but I remember reading a little while ago that Mollekon is going to make some "significant" roster changes this off-season. It was a Doug Maconachie article in the Star-Phoenix... With Keller and Cyr gone, and Green unlikely to come back as a 20 year old, and such a terrible playoff preformance, Mollekon is thinking of 2 years from now rather than a run next year.

The article mentioned Wacey Rabbit as a likely candidate to be traded, same with Bjorn Svensson, and one of Dalyn Flatt or Evan Haw, while Joe Barnes, Devin Setoguchi, Aaron Bader, etc. are possibilities as well... plus some minor names.

Also, it said that Russel Monnette will likely get some experienced help between the pipes rather than be thrown into the fire as the #1 guy with only 1/2 a year of backup under his belt.

The Blades' roster is talented, but it doesn't really fit a team mold, and Mollekon really wants to make his imprint on the team.

Old
04-11-2005, 05:41 PM
Joe Hallenback

I couldnt fathom why anyone would trade Rabbit or Setoguchi. Hey lets trade probably our top point guys for next season!

and then lets trade 3 players that have any size and play with any meaness in Flatt,Haw and Barnes! Hell its not like the reason we lost in the playoffs is because we are a small team!

They need more size and Better goaltending not a complete overhaul

Old
04-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Hordichuk_24

The Blades almost traded Rabbit to Vancouver at the deadline. They were talking for weeks and weeks....

Old
04-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
The Blades almost traded Rabbit to Vancouver at the deadline. They were talking for weeks and weeks....
For who?

Old
04-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Pedersen
For who?
You probably won't believe it (most people I tell, don't) but they really wanted Kassian. The Giants were playing hard ball saying they'll only trade Kassian to the Blades in exchange for Rabbit. So the Blades tried to work with that by getting Kassian, another Vancouver player, and a draft pick in exchange for Rabbit. Unfortunately I didn't get details on whom that other player was going to be.

In the end as much as the Blades wanted Kassian obviously they couldn't give up Rabbit unless they were going to get more in return.

Old
04-12-2005, 03:06 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab
Don't know if it's available online, but I remember reading a little while ago that Mollekon is going to make some "significant" roster changes this off-season. It was a Doug Maconachie article in the Star-Phoenix... With Keller and Cyr gone, and Green unlikely to come back as a 20 year old, and such a terrible playoff preformance, Mollekon is thinking of 2 years from now rather than a run next year.

The article mentioned Wacey Rabbit as a likely candidate to be traded, same with Bjorn Svensson, and one of Dalyn Flatt or Evan Haw, while Joe Barnes, Devin Setoguchi, Aaron Bader, etc. are possibilities as well... plus some minor names.

Also, it said that Russel Monnette will likely get some experienced help between the pipes rather than be thrown into the fire as the #1 guy with only 1/2 a year of backup under his belt.

The Blades' roster is talented, but it doesn't really fit a team mold, and Mollekon really wants to make his imprint on the team.
Strange if true. Poor playoffs aside, they still had a hugely successful year relative to expectations at the start. And they still look like overwhelming favourites to me to win their division next year (PA and Brandon lose far more top end guys, Regina will still suck, and I don't know if Moose Jaw will improve enough to be a contender). Why on earth would they be rebuilding? They lose only 1 forward and 2 defenders off last year's roster, for cripes sake. They're loaded with 86-88 birthdates in key roles.

I can see a trade for a goaltender, but outside of that ...

Old
04-12-2005, 11:32 AM
allin4466

Brandon

Just with what the guy above me said about brandon losing a lot of top-end talent. This is true, but McCrimmon is one of(if not) the best GM in the Dub. Over the past few years hes managed to get top-end talent for next to nothing. And if there is no NHL except with replacement players, whose to say that Fehr, Stone, and Sindel wont be coming back? They've already got a pretty solid D-core, granted they are losing Later, and if Fehr and Stone come back that leaves one overage spot, so Day might be gone as well.

Old
04-12-2005, 04:27 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by allin4466
Just with what the guy above me said about brandon losing a lot of top-end talent. This is true, but McCrimmon is one of(if not) the best GM in the Dub. Over the past few years hes managed to get top-end talent for next to nothing. And if there is no NHL except with replacement players, whose to say that Fehr, Stone, and Sindel wont be coming back? They've already got a pretty solid D-core, granted they are losing Later, and if Fehr and Stone come back that leaves one overage spot, so Day might be gone as well.
Oh, I agree for the most part. From the blueline back everything is intact save Later, and all of the forwards should be back save the big 4 guys (I'd highly doubt Fehr/Stone will be back). They'll still make the playoffs and be a solid team, and could contend if they find a couple quality forwards somewhere. But Saskatoon has a longer list of core guys coming back from last year, and I'd still favour them. But regardless, my point was just that Saskatoon should be a contending team, and rebuilding and planning for 2007 doesn't seem to make much sense.

Old
04-12-2005, 06:09 PM
goalienut

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskhab

Yee-Haw! He's not very good In my opinion but this is just a Raider Fan talking.

Old
04-13-2005, 02:05 AM
allin4466

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Oh, I agree for the most part. From the blueline back everything is intact save Later, and all of the forwards should be back save the big 4 guys (I'd highly doubt Fehr/Stone will be back). They'll still make the playoffs and be a solid team, and could contend if they find a couple quality forwards somewhere. But Saskatoon has a longer list of core guys coming back from last year, and I'd still favour them. But regardless, my point was just that Saskatoon should be a contending team, and rebuilding and planning for 2007 doesn't seem to make much sense.
Well they(brandon) get Mark Derlago back, hopefully he can pick up where he left off last year before that dirty ******* McGillvary broke his neck in the preseason.

Old
04-13-2005, 12:15 PM
saskhab

Today's S/P: Mollekon says fans should be expecting about a 50% turnover rate from last year's Blades to next year's Blades. He's really scouting d-men and players that he doesn't need to teach to work hard (both in bantam picks and otherwise)... in other words, character guys with size.

The Blades had a poor second half when compared to the first. And they looked lethargic down the stretch. They get pushed around easily. Mollekon really likes Colton Gillies, though.

I still expect to see Setoguchi, Barnes, Bader, Bahensky, and McCrae back with the Blades up front... but the blueline will get really re-tooled with no Green. This team had no puck-moving blueliners outside of him, and that's all PA did to nullify the Blades' attack...

This is a talented group that isn't a team. Especially when you take Green out of the picture.

Old
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Round John

The Blades accomplished alot this year especially considering where they came from the year before. In order to move forward and to be successful Molleken is going to improve the teams balance. That means he'll deal a high end guy (a 30 goal and 70 to 80 point player) for a couple of 15 to 20 goal scorers who aren't afraid to go into the corners and get their noses dirty along the boards.

In short he's going to bring more grit and tenacity into the lineup.

The top two lines are going to be solid, the 3rd and 4th lines need some rounding out. The defense will need some overhauling especially with guys like Flatt and Haw who have I think maxed out. I just don't see another gear there out of those two. Look for the Blades to draft a Euro defenseman, and deal Svensson.

The team will try and bring in a veteran goalie. Depending on how the 20 and defense situation works out it could be a 19 year old.

This team being retooled and reloaded for 2007 makes sense when you consider the WHL, and perhaps the Saskatoon Blades, will be hosting the Memorial Cup that year.

Old
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
allin4466

Goalie?

Mike Nichol for a forward?

Old
04-21-2005, 06:24 PM
Round John

Molleken has a few options in goal, some will be dictated by his defense situation, some by the 20 situation.

If Mike Green comes back then he will probably be the third 20 with Waschuk and Bader. Then a goalie who is 19 or younger is the option. Molleken has shown he doesn't shy away from trading within the division so yes it makes Nichol an option, it also makes Slade an option.

Right now I think the Blades are planning on Green not being back, and will try and draft a quality euro d man. If this happens then they still have an open 20 spot and this gives them more options on bringing in a veteran goalie.

Old
04-22-2005, 05:52 PM
allin4466

Slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round John
Molleken has a few options in goal, some will be dictated by his defense situation, some by the 20 situation.

If Mike Green comes back then he will probably be the third 20 with Waschuk and Bader. Then a goalie who is 19 or younger is the option. Molleken has shown he doesn't shy away from trading within the division so yes it makes Nichol an option, it also makes Slade an option.

Right now I think the Blades are planning on Green not being back, and will try and draft a quality euro d man. If this happens then they still have an open 20 spot and this gives them more options on bringing in a veteran goalie.
slade is a cancer to every team he plays on. Good on him for being a spark plug, but he ends up with penalties and suspensions that hurt the team more than they help.

Old
04-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
slade is a cancer to every team he plays on. Good on him for being a spark plug, but he ends up with penalties and suspensions that hurt the team more than they help.
Slade has been great for the Eagles of the BCHL. He has really done a complete 180 and has smartened up a lot. He was playing great up until he got injured.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:42 PM
Round John

Quote:
We're talking risk and reward. Yes Slade's history of attitude problems is a concern, however if it can be controlled the reward is a top flight 19 year old goaltender that will make your team better. Then you can concentrate on adding a 20 year old on defense, either Mike Green IF he's back, or bring in another veteran dman to help the backend.

Regina and Saskatoon have a bit of a history of trades, despite being in the same division, most recently the Ward for Waschuk deal and during the Pats Mem Cup year Exelby for Balan and Keller. Molleken and Parker have worked together in the past so there is a relationship there. I wouldn't be disappointed if the Blades acquired Slade.

Closed Thread