HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Evaluate your team's camps/pre-season...

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 07:30 AM
Foppa

vCash: 500
Evaluate your team's camps/pre-season...

Just wanted to conduct a little survey around the league, any input is appreciated for your team of choise:

Here are the questions...

THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp. Even if they didn't/won't make the team.

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. Could be a tryout guy who earned a contract, could be a perpetual minor leaguer who made some noise.

3. Best looking established player. Might be a star that looks better than ever, might be a solid-citizen ready to take the next step in your mind.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Could be you are glad a certain guy is going to make the team, could be you are happy the coach is trying a new line or defensive pairing. Cold be new a new jersey. Whatever you want.

THE BAD
1. Most disappointing youngster in camp.

2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet.

3. Most rusty or worst no-show amongst your team's established players.

4. Worst coaching or managing decision. (Might be a re-hash of #2)

Old
10-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

The Good

1) Trevor Daley/Antti Miettinen/Steve Ott.. all 3 are playing very, very impressive.

2) Barret Heisten.

3) Pierre Turgeon, best player in camp.

4) NA, we'll see when the finals cuts are made. If he keeps Miettinen, thumbs up, if he keeps Lemieux instead, thumbs down.

The Bad

1) Markus Kristofferson, frankly because he got injured by an Aaron Downey hit, but still, before the start was projected to have a reasonable shot at the team. Now leaves NA and returns to Sweden, yet his rights still remain with the Stars.

2) Claud Lemieux

3) Claud Lemieux

4) NA, we'll see when the finals cuts are made. If he keeps Miettinen, thumbs up, if he keeps Lemieux instead, thumbs down.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:41 AM
Foppa

What I can glean from the Avs...

THE GOOD
1. Cody McCormick. Marek Svatos has been excellent but it is Cody who has really surprised. He is still with the club and might have a spot on the team on opening night, jumping right from the OHL to the NHL. Plays with spunk, is polished defensively, and has enough scoring prowess to have some legit upside.

2. Jim Cummins. Looks to have earned a contract and should provide the Avs with some veteran punch off the bench. Don't expect him to play much but with Granato and Tocchet at the helm, you never know.

3. Perhaps nobody has really stood out that much, but David Aebischer has been solid and clearly has at least earned the right to be given a shot to carry this team. Andrei Nikolishin also looks to be set for a rebound year as the valuable 3rd line center.

4. Keeping Svatos, McCormick, and Liles around to evaluate longer and possibly make the team. It would be easy to ignore the rookies given this team's core, but if the depth is going to improve, it will be from within the system now.

THE BAD
1. Can't comment a great deal on this, but Johnny Boychuk clearly needs some more seasoning in juniors. Some fans thought Boychuk might be a guy who would be fast-tracked to the NHL, but his game is still very rough around the edges. Brian Willsie really isn't a prospect anymore but he played himself off the team after earning a new contract over the summer.

2. D.J. Smith - Enough said.

3. Martin Skoula. Has shown no signs of rebounding to the promise he once had as a rookie in the NHL. If he doesn't clean up his act in the defensive zone, he's a goner.

4. This is a wait and see, but if Cummins, McAllister, and Smith all make the team - and then all see ice time along with Worrell...I'm going to be a bit concerned.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:50 AM
thestonedkoala

vCash:
1. Brent Burns. Went from an unknown player taken way before he should've or so says the critics (even me), to a spot on the roster. Could end up being like Graves, I heard. Probably play 50 or so games.

2. Alexander Daigle. He gets another crack at a team and if he can't make it on Minnesota's roster, he doesn't make it. He's going to playing under one of the best coaches argubly and will be a semi-half-assed replacement for Gaborik. Chip in maybe 10-20 goals this season hopefully.

3. I heard Brad Brown name tossed around a bit as being better then usual. He's gotten quicker, which is always good. He's only 29 too, so he should stick around for a lot longer.

4. Signing Foy and Burns is a huge priority for Minnesota, now if they could only sign Gaborik and Dupuis. But this helps out a lot for Minnesota and their future by signing these two. Both have looked strong in camp.

1. Toss up between a bunch of players but there is also a problem of loyalty and too many forwards. Rickard Wallin, Dan Cavanaugh, and Kyle Wanvig were all cuts in the last cut but should've sticked. They will be, hopefully, call ups and sticklers by the season's end or else they are going to probably be shipped out.

2. Travis Roche. I can see why they have him sticking around as the Wild have one of the worst, if not the worst PP in the NHL. He is a puck-moving, QB on the PP, defensemen but that's it. He has no skills other than moving the puck around.

3. Tough call, I haven't heard much about no shows. Some players have stepped up but that doesn't mean a lot. Hendrickson keeps falling on his ass. Kuba keeps imitating a tree. I don't think a lot of guys were rusty. I think Gabby and Dupuis might be.

4. Not moving Roche. Putting Daigle on the waivers. Not putting Hendrickson on waivers. Not signing Dupuis and Gaborik. Not sending Foy down. Not letting Wallin, Wanvig and Cavanaugh stick.

Old
10-03-2003, 09:53 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
NEW YORK RANGERS
THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp. Juris Stals

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. Could be a tryout guy who earned a contract, could be a perpetual minor leaguer who made some noise. None. However the biggest surprises IMO are Martin Rucinsky who looked really good playing with Lindros and Carter and Greg deVries has shown a lot of grit (even dropped the gloves to defend a teammate) and has brought a bit of stability to the blueline. However, to answer the question, Richard Scott.

3. Best looking established player. Might be a star that looks better than ever, might be a solid-citizen ready to take the next step in your mind. I would say that Kovalev playing with Nedved has been the best looking established player. And Lindros has looked better than he did all last season.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Could be you are glad a certain guy is going to make the team, could be you are happy the coach is trying a new line or defensive pairing. Cold be new a new jersey. Whatever you want. Playing Jamie Lundmark with Bobby Holik. Breaking up the Leetch-Poti pairing.

THE BAD
1. Most disappointing youngster in camp. Noone really as I don't think anyone really thought a youngster was going to win a place on the team.

2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet. Chris Simon

3. Most rusty or worst no-show amongst your team's established players. Chris Simon and Dale Purinton

4. Worst coaching or managing decision. (Might be a re-hash of #2) Slats playing Simon instead of Matthew Barnaby with Holik and Lundmark.

10-03-2003, 12:21 PM
Snap Wilson

For the Ducks:

Quote:
Easily Ryan Getzlaf. Aside from him and Fleury in Pittsburgh are there still any other juniors players who have a shot at making the big club? GM Brian Murray is talking to Getz's agent about getting him inked this year. Even if he doesn't get signed, it's encouraging to know he's years ahead of where he should be.

Quote:
2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. Could be a tryout guy who earned a contract, could be a perpetual minor leaguer who made some noise.
Nobody, really. Craig Johnson signed a two-way contract to fill in for Dan Bylsma, and he's looked pretty decent out there.

Quote:
3. Best looking established player. Might be a star that looks better than ever, might be a solid-citizen ready to take the next step in your mind.
Toss-up between newcomer Vinny Prospal and Rob Niedermayer, both of whom have been SCORCHING HOT this preseason. I think Niedermayer is going to surprise some people offensively this year. Supporting players Sammy Pahlsson and Jason Krog have come out firing on all cylinders.

Quote:
4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Could be you are glad a certain guy is going to make the team, could be you are happy the coach is trying a new line or defensive pairing. Cold be new a new jersey. Whatever you want.
Not to sound like a homer, but Murray has been golden. There isn't anything he's done that I *don't* disagree with. Best moves were signing Fedorov and Prospal, giving us a cool third jersey without a duck face on it and changing the netting to the light-colored variety.

Quote:
Chris Kunitz was supposed to be a threat to make the squad and got cut fairly early.

Quote:
Nobody, really. Alexei Smirnov hasn't seemed all that impressive, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was demoted.

Quote:
Fedorov took a while to get going, but he's gotten a goal and an assist in the past two games, and he's looked pretty good otherwise.

Quote:
Again, not to sound like a homer, but I can't think of a bad one. So far, all the moves look pretty great. We'll see how it goes once the regular season starts, though.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:15 PM
AvsGuy

THE GOOD
----------

1) Cody McCormick. from previous reviews i've heard of him, it sounded like he was a project at best. he came to camp and showed everyone else how its done, and he might have an NHL job this season for his efforts. from what i've heard, i was also hoping Tomas Slovak would make the team. i hope to hear more good from him in the next few years.

2) Jim Cummins. i was surprised when they even invited him to camp, let alone giving him a contract. i hear Chris McAllister has been playing waaaay over his head too...

3) I'm hoping for good things from Andrei Nikolishin this year. i told everyone he was a good addition, scoring from the 3rd line, and now he's proving my point. thanks Andrei.

4) Giving the rookies a shot was a brazen move by PL. even though we already have 2 solid scoring lines, it looks as though Marek Svatos, a scorer by trade, might have earned a spot on the Avs. John-Michael Liles looks like a keeper too, and it'll be nice to see him around early on in the season.

THE BAD
---------

1) Darryl Yacboski. of course i'll root for him, because i'm from Regina and he's on the Pats, but apparently he's the worst skater anyon has ever seen. i just went to a Pats game, and i'll vouch for that. holy crap.

2) D.J.Smith should've been on the bus to the minors 3 weeks ago. what a talentless little worm like him is doing on the Avs is beyond me, let alone this close to the season opener.

3) i hear tanguay has been a no-show at camp. i wonder when he's going to start playing with some consistency.

4) the worst management decision at camp was cutting Tomas Slovak. that said, the play of Liles didn't leave them much of a choice...

Old
10-03-2003, 01:42 PM
looooob

Flames

THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp. Even if they didn't/won't make the team. Blair Betts (Brent Krahn close 2nd)

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. Could be a tryout guy who earned a contract, could be a perpetual minor leaguer who made some noise. Robert Dome (does he count?) if not Andrew Ference (does he count?). If not Josh Green, I guess

3. Best looking established player. Might be a star that looks better than ever, might be a solid-citizen ready to take the next step in your mind. Jarome Iginla (8 points in 3 games)

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Could be you are glad a certain guy is going to make the team, could be you are happy the coach is trying a new line or defensive pairing. Cold be new a new jersey. Whatever you want.well the new jersey is nice. Not waiving Gelinas (which was rumoured) was a relief also
THE BAD
1. Most disappointing youngster in camp. from what I"ve heard, Oleg Saprykin I guess. Kind of by default because we had a small camp and most of the other young guys looked good
2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet.Jamie McLennan

?Dean McAmmond? not sure on this one
4. Worst coaching or managing decision. (Might be a re-hash of #2)Not addressing backup goaltending, YET. we'll see what happens now

Old
10-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Dr GLU

THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp. Dan Ellis. I've always been high on the guy, but he came in and posted the best numbers out of any Stars goaltender in the preseason after a little bit of a slow start. I had expected him to be an ECHL caliber goaltender to start.

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. None have really shone that much. Heisten, Valicevic, and Gainey all got some press.

3. Best looking established player. Scott Young. He's been scoring no matter who he's played with.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Miettinen/Kapanen/Lehtinen. That line has looked great together.

THE BAD
1. Most disappointing youngster in camp. Dan Jancevski. He showed little to no progression from last year.

2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet. Claude Lemieux. He's done folks.

3. Most rusty or worst no-show amongst your team's established players. Jason Arnott. He's looked downright awful a lot of the time.

4. Worst coaching or managing decision. Miettinen/Kapanen/Arnott. Jason took the chemistry those two have and ripped it apart for two periods against Colorado.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:18 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp. Even if they didn't/won't make the team. [b]Ryan Malone, definitely. I never thought too highly of him as most prospect followers/scouts/whatever did, but he's made the team. Others include Konstantin Koltsov(best camp out of anyone sans Fleury), Colby Armstrong(strong camp and made huge strides after mediocre season in WBS last year), and M-A Fleury(him doing well isn't a suprise, but him doing this well was).

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp. Could be a tryout guy who earned a contract, could be a perpetual minor leaguer who made some noise. Reid Simpson. For now at least. Haven't heard much about him but he's still on the roster...for now.

3. Best looking established player. Might be a star that looks better than ever, might be a solid-citizen ready to take the next step in your mind. [b]Can I say Lemieux? :p Morozov and Straka both had nice camps.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with. Could be you are glad a certain guy is going to make the team, could be you are happy the coach is trying a new line or defensive pairing. Cold be new a new jersey. Whatever you want. Playing Koltsov with Lemieux in his one game. Koltsov played probably the best he ever has in his career, and that game almost guaranteed him a spot on the first line...almost.

THE BAD
1. Most disappointing youngster in camp. Where to begin. Five players really stand out. Kris Beech, Milan Kraft, Michal Sivek, Tomas Surovy, and Ramzi Abid.

2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet. Reid Simpson :p Brian Holzinger as well

3. Most rusty or worst no-show amongst your team's established players. Well considering we have about five established players I'm gonna say Abid, who held out a little and came into camp and couldn't light gasoline on fire with his play.

4. Worst coaching or managing decision. (Might be a re-hash of #2) Playing Fleury on back-to-back nights

Old
10-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Skrymir

Ottawa Senators

THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp.
Ray Emery. Really strong showing showed Management and fans alike that he has what it takes. One more year in Bingo and he'll be in the big show.

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp.
Alexandre Giroux. Not a cast off, but is heading into his 3rd AHL season. The almost forgotten prospect in the sens system. Came into camp and noone mentioned his name now every local meia source has had a feature on him. Most forget he did score 50+ while in the Q. May have bumped himself into first call-up staus along with Serge Payer.

3. Best looking established player.
Marian Hossa. Without a doubt. Alot of the established players looking good, but Hossa has added a few pounds in the offseason, and is absolutly scary on the ice. Sould challenge for the scoring title this year.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with.
Deciding to give Greg Zanon a contract. No specific reason, I've just always liked him as a prospect.

THE BAD
Brooks Laich. I was really hiped with him coming into the rookie tournament and training camp, but he was virtually invisable out there. Did nothing to impress me at all. Here's hoping for a good first season inthe AHL.

2. Cast-off or minor leaguer who should be sent down but hasn't been yet.Arguments can be made for Vauclair not doing anything to warrent him still being in camp, but I haven't been all that disapointed with our AHL 'veterans'

3. Most rusty or worst no-show amongst your team's established players.Prusek. Of the Golies still in camp he's been the most mediocre. Some have already debated weather Emery should replace him as back-up, but there is next to no chance of that happening.

4. Worst coaching or managing decision.
IMO, not signing Himelfarb. Especially now that we lost Hamel to waivers. Eric was the most visible player at the rookie tournament for the sens, and IMO did nothing to hurt his case when training camp came around, but for some reason I guess they didn't like what he was doing and reassigned him to the OHL.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

THE GOOD
artem kriukov (remember him) is playing pretty well and is still on the roster

rory fitzpatrick continues to impress and could make the team (andrew peters dropping with anybody who looks at him is a close second)

danny briere and drury looking nice

getting kriukov into camp and maintaining a commitment to him

THE BAD
norm milley- hurt, but regardless still hasn't shown a whole lot

none really

connolly hasn't scored a point in 4 playoff games

losing steve begin the waiver draft ticked me off. i can't say i know exactly what regier's options were, but losing a guy you just traded for is annoying, especially considering the energy he and mair would have brought playing on the same line
[/QUOTE]

Old
10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
degroat*

THE GOOD
There are a few candidates for this....
1. Chris Beckford-Tseu (G) - A mid round pick in this past year's draft was the best goaltender in camp during the 4 team scrimage to start camp.
2. Mark Rycroft (W) - He made the team two years ago and was demoted after a couple games. I thought he was done for but has played great this camp and will probably make the team and start the season next to Peter Cajanek.
3. Brett Scheffelmaier (D) - Last year I was wondering how in the world he was ever drafted. His skating was horrible. He decision making was snail paced. This year he was a completely different player and looks like he has a decent career ahead of him.
4. Christian Backman - This is a name that many of you have been hearing for a long time. Once a highly touted defenseman, Backman had disappointed thus far but is finally starting to show he's got NHL talent.

This would have to be a guy named Glumac who earned a contract with his play in camp.

Doug Weight. He's a man on a mission and is loving the fact that he'll be on a line with Sejna.

Just the simple fact that Q is actually giving the young players a chance to make the team. Management has obviously told him that he's going to have to make due.

THE BAD
I can honestly say that there isn't anyone that deserves this label. I would have like to have seen some more consistancy out of Colin Hemingway but he wasn't bad.. just inconsistant.

Laflamme

Brent Johnson. He was downright bad to start camp, but has since come around.

It's too early to answer this. If Quenneville ends up putting the likes of Steve Martins or Mike Danton on the 2nd or 3rd line, then that would be it.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:40 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Ok let's give it a try (for Montreal)...

THE GOOD

Higgins. Showed he'll be a good player some day for his sound 2-way game, grit and examplary work ethic but showed a bigger scoring touch than expected as well.

Michael Ryder. Very late pick that a year ago nobody spoke about or knew. But he was the Bulldogs' best scorer in the AHL last year, as well as the 2nd best scorer in the playoffs. Had an amazing camp so far and will almost certainly start the year in Montreal, to play in his 1st ever NHL game at 23yo. *Note* I'm now worried for his future now the Gainey has drafted Langdon and Begin. I hope he doesn't choose to expose him for that. This would not stand well with me.

Francis Bouillon. One of the best Dman in the camp. This time he's been protected by management and will likely start in Montreal at the expense of Hainsey who could see AHL action for one more year (which could be a good thing to mature and grow up a little under coach Doug Jarvis).

Mike Ribeiro. He was established in the sense that he played in Montreal all year as a 4th liner mostly but has been the best player bare none at the camp and is slowly earning the 2nd center job at 24yo (finally).

Well the vote of confidence given to both Ryder (until now) and Bouillon pleases me.

THE BAD

A lot, but I'd say Hainsey since he will probably lose his NHL spot to Francis Bouillon. I tought he would fight harder for a chance to play in the NHL as he had a shot at it (both Dykhuis and Traverse were sent to the minors).

Higgins, Plekanec and Hainsey will likely be from the last 5 cuts (with the 2 waiver draft aquisitions) remaing to be made. I could see Dackell and maybe Dwyer be the other 2 unless a trade is in the agenda.

Audette. Talked a lot of talk through media about wanting to come back strong from his horrid season but did not walk the walk so far as he's been quite mediocre in his pre-season showing. He'll need to produce or he'll be out of this team for good. Management will have a short fuse with him.

If they send Ryder back in the AHL it will be that as he would need to go through waivers (and IMO he would not pass through). I was pretty pissed also that they did not decide to protect François Beauchemin who's our best stay-at-home in the system right now (considering Komisarek is graduated of course) but he wasn't picked in the waiver draft (at least I don't think so) so everything's fine again.

edit - typo

Old
10-03-2003, 04:45 PM
LaVal

these are all my opinions

THE GOOD

Nominees

- Rob McVicar. didn't expect this guy to be more than a starter in the ECHL. had a relatively poor camp then absolutely stood on his head in the pre-season.

- Tomas Mojzis. we expected him to be capable of a #3-5 defensemen but looked brilliant with NHL ready skills. he's looking like top-4 material and Naslund even thinks he could be a star.

- Ryan Kesler. we expected him to be close, but he is NHL ready and showed off some good tools. will deffinately be near the top of the callups list.

- Jason King. he was a 3rd tier prospect who was considered a longshot, but he many believe he will make the team and is in the final 3 rookies left.

Winner

Tomas Mojzis.

Nominees

Ryan Ready. he has been dubbed a career minor leaguer and is already 25 years old. in the final 3 in the running for the last spot.

Mike Keane. we expected grit, leadership, and hustle... but he's been looking fairly deadly on the attack as well. in the final 3 for the last spot.

Winner

Mike Keane.

Nominees

Sami Salo. getting points-o-plenty and using that massive cannon of his, while remaining to be a rock on defense.

Henrik Sedin. i believe our leading scorer, he seems to have elevated his game to another level.

Winner

Henrik Sedin.

n/a

THE BAD

Nominees

Brandon Reid. plenty of hustle, no results.

Kirill Koltsov. we were all probably expecting too much for him in his first pro camp, not knowing much of the language or the culture.

Fedor Fedorov. slept in first day of camp, and didn't show up until his final game.

Winner

Brandon Reid.

default winner - Tyler Moss. started off with a good game, then played horrible the next 2.

Nominees

Markus Naslund. i don't think he has a point.

Todd Bertuzzi. showed up 1 game.

Brent Sopel. back to falling down?

Winner

Markus Naslund.

Nominees

Sopel/Slegr defensive combination - horrible so far

Daniel Sedin on the RW - got lost and ended up on the LW in his first shift

Arvedson to play with the twins - Arvy's a good player but he's not the sniper the twins need

Winner

tie - Sopel/Slegr, Danny on the RW

Old
10-03-2003, 06:03 PM
Face Wash

LA

GOOD:

1. The Kids Are Alright: Gleason, Brown, Pirnes (notta kid but a Rookie) can play and will contribute. Brown especially, as an 18 year old is extremely impressive.

2. Lucky Can Still Put The Biscuit In The Basket: Luc picked up right where he left off in a Kings Uni. He's actually in the best shape of his life.

3. Cechmanek: So far he's looked good in net. He's gotten a lot of work as AM wants to give him as much time behind the Kings D as possible.

BAD:

1. Plus ça change, Plus c'est la meme chose Injuries, new and old are plaguing this team and keeping them down. Deadmarsh and Allison... Aulin, Norton, Miller, Grebeshkov and Cammalleri all are not going to make the opening night lineup. Zizka & Modry, who should be ready, sat out all of camp because of injuries. No team can recover this amount of quality injured.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:08 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
THE GOOD

Matt Stajan and Maxim Kondratiev. Stajan has not been 'flashy' by any means, but he's been smart with and without the puck (for the most part), and scored some timely goals. No doubt Matt will play in the NHL when he bulks up a bit. Kondratiev impressed with his offensive play quite a bit, and he's pretty good in his own end as well. Another skilled guy who I hope to see with the Leafs soon.

Nathan Perrott. He came out of nowhere and forced the Leafs to protect him at the waiver draft. Much better than Wade Belak. Think Gary Roberts without skill and with a fighting ability.

Ric Jackman, probably. I know he's not 'established' but he falls into category #2 (ready to take the next step). He locked up a role with this team, IMO.

I like putting Tucker with Nieuwendyk. Tucker has said that he's learned quite a bit from Joey since he's been here. I think the addition of Joey can only help Tucks' game. As well, Quinn has seemingly changed his defensive system a bit, for the better.

THE BAD

Pierre Hedin. Looked shaky early on, calmed down a bit since then and has been ok, though.

I guess Brad Leeb

Mostly all of them. :p Sundin, AlMo, Nolan...guess they're saving it for when it counts. Another guy is Aki Berg. Hasn't shown improvement or any signs that he's going to finally 'break out.'

I haven't noticed anything major. Perhaps putting Antropov into the lineup too soon (Damn China doll ); and I think the PP needs some work.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:17 PM
PigPen

Here's my take on the wings' preseason thus far.

THE GOOD
1. Biggest surprise youngster in camp.
Jiri Hudler - He's looked great this preseason as a 19 year old playing against much larger and stronger competition. It's very likely he'll play 50+ games

Notables: Niklas Kronwall - Could be a call-up later in the season and play 20 games to get broken in to the NHL.

2. Biggest surprise cast-off/minor leaguer in camp.
Nathan Robinson. He's an exceptional skater with a good shot and is willing to drive to the net or throw big hits despite his diminutive stature. (5'9" barely)

3. Best looking established player.
Tomas Holmstrom - He's greatly improved his 5-on-5 play in the offseason and actually appears as if he can now handle the puck!!!

Notables: Henrik Zetterburg, Pavel Datsyuk - Zetterburg has better footspeed than he did last year and looks completely adjusted to the NA style of play.
Datsyuk is poised to pick up where he left off at the end of last year's regular season and is shooting the puck a lot more now.

4. Coaching/managing decsision you most agree with.
Ray Whitney signing. He's already showing good chemistry with Datsyuk and Hull and adds much more speed on the left side than we had before.

THE BAD
Boyd Devereaux - It's sad because I like the kid. He's a great skater and is willing to go in the corners and do all the little things, but he appears to be snakebitten when it comes time for the regular season. He's still around because wings' management have hopes he can turn into a solid role player that can chip in 15-20 goals a year. With the turnout of the 02-03 season and a poor showing in camp, it's unlikely he'll get the chance to prove he can do that with the wings.

Notables: Danny Groulx - Seems to have hit a plateau in his development

Anders Myrvold - Solid in just about all areas, but is not exceptional at any one thing. Not talented enough to crack the top 9 of the wings' depth chart.

Derian Hatcher - Hate to say it, but this pickup although logical on paper, doesn't seem to be the right pickup for Detroit. It's only preseason but he hasn't seemed too impressive or intimidating physically yet. I'm assuming it will come with time, but I'd have preferred if the wings' brass signed Ken Klee and Greg DeVries instead of Hatcher, and just gotten rid of Wooley or Dandeneault for a pick or two. It definately would have been cheaper, and both are solid.

Heh...where to begin...

Not picking Turgeon up on waivers or trading for him in the offseason
Yes, the wings' payroll is high. Very high. I don't think that matters to Illitch right now though. He wants one last cup for Stevie and the gang. Turgeon is an egotistical scorer with a lot to prove who also has never won a stanley cup. Players like that seem to have good years while with the wings' (Verbeek, Duchesne)

Also, the wings' are looking for a "big" center who can score. They had their chance and didn't take it. Playing the wings' system I think he could get 70+ points.

Keeping Lewis around.
Although I'm one of his few supporters here on these boards, he's just not the right coach for the current Wings' team. He expects guys like Datsyuk, Hull, Zetterburg and Whitney to dig around the front of the net to pick up garbage goals and hasn't changed the system much at all from last year's.

The players also don't seem to be paying much attention to what Lewis has to say these days. Last year when the wings' went into slumps, his changes to the lines and matchups got us out of them fairly quick. Not so much thus far in Training camp and the preseason. He probably feels like he's talking to a brick wall when addressing a room with names like Hull, Yzerman, Shanahan, Chelios and Hasek.

Management's decision to not add any type of grit up front.
Instead, they stick with Devereaux and Williams who are both good players, but just aren't what the wings' need. Detroit seemed to play at it's best when Avery was in a game mouthing off to the other team's players and stirring things up. Whenever he was out of the lineup, the entire Red Wings' team seemed docile on the ice. Brendan Shanahan and McCarty weren't pissed off enough which hurt their games, and players were running Cujo regularly near the end of the season.

Now I'm not going off on an Arankys-esque tangent about the wings' needing an enforcer, but definately a Moreau, Stevenson, Rasmussen or just about anybody physical who can play a regular shift would be a welcome addition to detroit over Williams and Devereaux.

The whole Cujo-Hasek Debacle.
Do I even need to talk about this one?

Old
10-03-2003, 07:27 PM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen

THE BAD
Boyd Devereaux - It's sad because I like the kid.
only in Detroit is a 25 year old considered a youngster (kidding, just kidding)

Old
10-03-2003, 11:01 PM
agentfouser

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
LA

GOOD:

1. The Kids Are Alright: Gleason, Brown, Pirnes (notta kid but a Rookie) can play and will contribute. Brown especially, as an 18 year old is extremely impressive.
just a few things to add:

-brown has been stellar, four goals so far.
-derek armstrong, a journeyman who earned a spot last year and ut up career highs in games (50 or 60) and points (about 40), is "the best player in camp," according to andy murray.
-petr kanko, junior prospect (with a pink mohawk) who looked great last year but missed all or nearly all of camp due to injury.

Closed Thread