HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

For those with a good shot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-17-2010, 05:34 PM
  #1
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
For those with a good shot

How long would you say it took you to develop a good shot?

For me, it probably took until the time I got to AAA and by that time I had probably practiced shooting a puck about 500k times (500 a day for a few years).

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:46 PM
  #2
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.
 
Harv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,536
vCash: 500
500 a day?

How long did a pair of gloves last you?

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:25 PM
  #3
budster
Schoolyard Puck
 
budster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Utah
Country: United States
Posts: 234
vCash: 500
I'd be willing to bet most of us here don't take 500 shots a MONTH. I'm thinking that the definition a "good shot" might be a matter of opinion.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:28 PM
  #4
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,645
vCash: 500
500 shots a day? Damn! I assume mostly on a skillpad at home? Anyways, I'm currently 24 and have been playing hockey at a variety of levels since I was 8, and I still don't think my shot is anything special

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:49 PM
  #5
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
lol yup 500 a day. I do use a skill pad so my sticks last a little longer. I usually buy gloves off of eBay or get them from teammates who dont want their old ones anymore because I go through probably three or four pairs a year. Anyway, I did 500 a day through AAA and now that I am in the O, I try to get 500 but usually can only get 250 a day.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:35 PM
  #6
weedsnager
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 22
vCash: 500
if you don't have the proper technique , it doesn't matter if you shoot 500 or 5000 a day.......practice makes perfect, if your practicing correctly. there's people that are 170 pounds that have a cannon for a slap shot ,cause they shoot them the correct way, and people that are 225, that are clueless when it come to taking slap shot.

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:47 PM
  #7
Lososaurus
Registered User
 
Lososaurus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 646
vCash: 500
I'm lucky to shoot the puck at all in a game. Playing defense sucks.

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
  #8
happyhab*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pass the bisk View Post
lol yup 500 a day. I do use a skill pad so my sticks last a little longer. I usually buy gloves off of eBay or get them from teammates who dont want their old ones anymore because I go through probably three or four pairs a year. Anyway, I did 500 a day through AAA and now that I am in the O, I try to get 500 but usually can only get 250 a day.

Taking that many shots a day, you must of been one of the top scorers in your leagues or at least one of the best shooters. How old are you now, and you must of had aspirations for the NHL what made you give up or are you still trying??

Sorry just reread your post I see your in the OHL

happyhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
  #9
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weedsnager View Post
if you don't have the proper technique , it doesn't matter if you shoot 500 or 5000 a day.......practice makes perfect, if your practicing correctly. there's people that are 170 pounds that have a cannon for a slap shot ,cause they shoot them the correct way, and people that are 225, that are clueless when it come to taking slap shot.
Agreed, but if you do anything 500 times in a row you tend to work out a lot of kinks in the process. That's to say nothing of shooting 500 times 365 days per year (363 if he takes Christmas and Easter off). If something didn't feel right one day I know I'd find out what was wrong with my approach before it was time to take my 500 shots tomorrow.

As for the original question I still don't have a good shot. For a number of years I either played defense (defensive defenseman) or defensive forward because I had no faith in my shot. All in all I've played about 6 years with a piss poor shot. I'm trying to get better, though.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:22 PM
  #10
Briere Up There*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Žďár nad Sázavo
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
I've played for 15 years and it took me about 10 before I could actually rip it.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:28 PM
  #11
qwertysac
Registered User
 
qwertysac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Montreal, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'm currently 24 and have been playing hockey at a variety of levels since I was 8
Damn thats impressive!!!

And to the thread starter, im having a hard time believing you play in the O.

qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:35 PM
  #12
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Repetition helps because it will strength the critical shooting muscles but the key is to practice good technique. Weight transfer is what makes 100% of the difference. I'll routinely see big guys with crap for shots and then there are kind of skinny guys like me who will break the goalies finger with a slap shot- why? At 185 lbs, I'm using 100% of my weight while the guy who's 265 is using 40% of his.

And by the way, work on getting your shot good standing still before you worry about shooting well at high speed. That takes a long time, and few players are good at it.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:38 PM
  #13
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Damn thats impressive!!!

And to the thread starter, im having a hard time believing you play in the O.
My life is shattered now

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Repetition helps because it will strength the critical shooting muscles but the key is to practice good technique. Weight transfer is what makes 100% of the difference. I'll routinely see big guys with crap for shots and then there are kind of skinny guys like me who will break the goalies finger with a slap shot- why? At 185 lbs, I'm using 100% of my weight while the guy who's 265 is using 40% of his.
Exactly right. Absolutely the most important part of shooting.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 03:58 PM
  #14
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Repetition helps because it will strength the critical shooting muscles but the key is to practice good technique. Weight transfer is what makes 100% of the difference. I'll routinely see big guys with crap for shots and then there are kind of skinny guys like me who will break the goalies finger with a slap shot- why? At 185 lbs, I'm using 100% of my weight while the guy who's 265 is using 40% of his.

And by the way, work on getting your shot good standing still before you worry about shooting well at high speed. That takes a long time, and few players are good at it.
Pretty much. I'm usually the smallest guy on my team and I have the best shot because I get nearly all of my weight into it. I try to work as often as i can on getting my weight into it quicker as well. There are a lot of guys, even that have played for a long time that shoot with all arms, and have double my muscle mass and cant get nearly as much on it.

Weight transfers arent just key to shots too. Its important for hitting as well. I'm in front of the net with guys that dwarf me but I get all of my legs and body into my hits, and they arent using all their weight to brace themselves, or I'm using all my weight to brace myself and a bigger guy tries to hit me with only upper body strength and I win the battles despite being much smaller.

As for accuracy on your shot, there is no secret to it. Just repetition, over and over again until you can pinpoint it.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:00 PM
  #15
pass the bisk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: United States
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Oh also something else to add on shooting, when practicing, don't practice huge wind ups. Try to get a shot off quickly like you would have to in a game.

pass the bisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 04:28 PM
  #16
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Ive been playing for about a few months shy of 2 years now and Id say within a few months of playing I had my wrister down to where majority of the time it was nice and hard not really "floating" into the net. Obviously it has gotten much better since then and its easily one of my bread n butter shots, goalies say my release makes it hard to tell where Im goin to put it so combined with its speed its deadly(IF I HIT THE DAMN NET! I like to try and pick corners, bad habit as a D).

Now my slapper was the shot I wanted to learn since day one, so I worked my ass off on it to get my technique down pretty good. I can put alot behind em aslong as I do it all with the right motions, I still fluff one here and there in a game, but needless to say if someone has blocked one of my slappers before they tend to let it go by after that.

For a C league player my shot developed really quick and just keeps getting better, for now. The biggest thing that really helped me was my balance and being able to really lean into a shot which seems to be a majority of peoples issues, at my level atleast. Now Im sure if I started playing the sport as a youth, my shot woulddnt have developed anywhere near as quick as it did starting at 20, just because naturally your body changes and you are still learning how to use it the right way =p.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
  #17
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Right Behind Me!
Posts: 10,444
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Ive been playing for about a few months shy of 2 years now and Id say within a few months of playing I had my wrister down to where majority of the time it was nice and hard not really "floating" into the net. Obviously it has gotten much better since then and its easily one of my bread n butter shots, goalies say my release makes it hard to tell where Im goin to put it so combined with its speed its deadly(IF I HIT THE DAMN NET! I like to try and pick corners, bad habit as a D).

Now my slapper was the shot I wanted to learn since day one, so I worked my ass off on it to get my technique down pretty good. I can put alot behind em aslong as I do it all with the right motions, I still fluff one here and there in a game, but needless to say if someone has blocked one of my slappers before they tend to let it go by after that.

For a C league player my shot developed really quick and just keeps getting better, for now. The biggest thing that really helped me was my balance and being able to really lean into a shot which seems to be a majority of peoples issues, at my level atleast. Now Im sure if I started playing the sport as a youth, my shot woulddnt have developed anywhere near as quick as it did starting at 20, just because naturally your body changes and you are still learning how to use it the right way =p.
The funny thing is, I'll score more goals with ugly, fluttery wrist shots when I'm skating at a high speed, off balance from a bad angle and just surprise the goalie then when I set up and snap off a good one. It's actually very common.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:51 AM
  #18
Chris43
Registered User
 
Chris43's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 494
vCash: 500
I've worked at an Ice Rink since i've been 14 so almost 9 years.. With all the free ice it was just a matter of time before i could shoot decently.. I'd say probably 6 months of skating everyday.

Chris43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 07:59 AM
  #19
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,329
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
I'm lucky to shoot the puck at all in a game. Playing defense sucks.
Don't worry, I'm lucky to shoot the puck at all in a game and I mostly play offense.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 08:25 AM
  #20
blueberrydanish
Registered User
 
blueberrydanish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The funny thing is, I'll score more goals with ugly, fluttery wrist shots when I'm skating at a high speed, off balance from a bad angle and just surprise the goalie then when I set up and snap off a good one. It's actually very common.
Ya I definitely see that alot. Goalies at my rink play in a few divisions and they always say playing down actually throws em off cause of the speed of things and shots.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
  #21
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
That's good advice. I see a lot of guys playing adult hockey that have the wheels but no wrist shot to speak of. A lot of them started off playing roller hockey and with that light puck they just don't build up the strength in their arms, it seems.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 12:15 PM
  #22
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,645
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
The funny thing is, I'll score more goals with ugly, fluttery wrist shots when I'm skating at a high speed, off balance from a bad angle and just surprise the goalie then when I set up and snap off a good one. It's actually very common.
Ya I definitely see that alot. Goalies at my rink play in a few divisions and they always say playing down actually throws em off cause of the speed of things and shots.
+1 to this, at least half of my goals are total garbage goals tapped in from around the crease in traffic. Though last game I did manage a legit top corner snipe with the goalie fully set!

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2010, 01:51 PM
  #23
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,779
vCash: 500
I'm almost 24, played college puck and now just play on some A division beer league teams and a couple of drop-ins with guys who played junior/college in their past. Probably started playing at about 7 years old. I would say by the time I was 14-15 my wrister was pretty hard/accurate for my age. It's obviously improved immensely over the years as I've gone from a 5'10 150lb 15 year old to a 5'10 195lb adult, but I would say the technique and accuracy were there after about 7 years of organized hockey, starting pretty young. I've had one of the best wrist shots on just about every team I've played on, including my college team (IMO) since I was about 12. My slapper took a little longer to develop. I'd say I started to hit my stride at around 16 and really started to nail it down between 17 and 18. Today my slapper is well above average but nothing special compared to my wrister. I'm definitely a quick snap from the circles kind of guy and my slapper probably constitutes less than 20% of all shots I take in games.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:16 PM
  #24
Lario Melieux*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Jeannette, PA
Posts: 3,664
vCash: 500
Still don't have a good shot* after 23 years of playing lol

EDIT: *wrist shot...

After we were allowed to start taking slapshots around PeeWees it probably took me a couple years to develop a really good slapshot. Didn't really practice it much off the ice, but on the ice I would practice it a lot since I was a defenseman at the time. Once I got to junior/senior in highschool and moved up to senior sticks as I was filling out, as well as a forward position, there was a little adjustment period, but if I was gaining the zone on a rush I could boom a pretty heavy shot on net most of the time.


Last edited by Lario Melieux*: 09-24-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
  #25
Islander102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
I've worked at an Ice Rink since i've been 14 so almost 9 years.. With all the free ice it was just a matter of time before i could shoot decently.. I'd say probably 6 months of skating everyday.
Same situation here, free icetime rules. Over the last year, since I started working at my rink, my wrister has improved dramatically, actually all my shots have but my wrister is still my bread and butter. Usually get one snipe over the glove now every two games or so. Before I started working there I would get one a month if I was lucky.

Islander102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.