HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pat Burns "feeling well", not passed away

Old
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
pickincherries

vCash: 500
Finally the Star gets it right: http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...h-reports?bn=1

Quote:
Ex-Leaf coach Pat Burns, who is fighting cancer, has left hospital and returned to his home in Quebec.

Burns in the last decade has fought his way through colon, liver and now lung cancer.

“I'm still alive and kicking,” Burns told the Star Friday afternoon. “I'm hanging in.”

Earlier in the day, Leafs adviser Cliff Fletcher told reporters at Leafs’ training camp that the seriously ill Burns had died.

A few hours later, he issued a written apology:

“I extend my deepest apologies to Pat Burns and his family,” Fletcher said.

“Unfortunately, I was misinformed by a friend earlier today and my public comments were completely inaccurate.

“Myself, and the entire hockey community I’m sure, will continue to wish all the best for Pat and we will keep him in our thoughts.”

After Fletcher’s initial declaration, Kevin Dixon, Burns’ close friend, said, “Pat says he is not dead yet.”

“Hey all, just talked to Pat, and he is grocery shopping,” Dixon said in an email.

“He can’t decide if he will have pork chops this evening or steak.

“Finally, it will be pork chops. He said he had steak last night at the restaurant. Reporters screwed up big-time.”

When Dixon got Burns on the phone, he teased him by saying: “I got your box here ready for you. Got to get you in there before the end of the day.”

Burns has taken it all with a gruff chuckle, he said.

Burns himself told TSN’s Bob McKenzie: “I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I’m dead. I’m not dead, far f------ from it. They’ve had me dead since June.”

Burns also spoke by phone Thursday with CKAC radio sports host Gabriel Gregoire. Gregoire said the former coach had reconciled himself to his worsening health, is happy and “doesn’t want to be pitied.”

Burns, 58, is a three-time coach of the year, and was the coach of the Leafs — hired by Fletcher — when the team returned to respectability with long playoff runs in the 1990s.

pickincherries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
LakeshoreWest
Leafs in 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafSadist View Post
June 28, 1994.
The day we acquired Mats!

I always remember this one because I was born on June 28

LakeshoreWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0rtal View Post
Wow the man was Buying Groceries Hope he lives long

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Glad to see Burns is doing better

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 10:18 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Looks like everyone wanted to be the first to report the news, too bad that nobody had their facts straight. What a disgrace, and proof that the media can't be trusted "face value".

ThinMcWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote