HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Todd White Dilemma

Old
09-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Slick Rick 61

vCash: 500
The Todd White Dilemma

I posted this on two other forums. Mods, I didn't see anything related to this topic specifically, but merge if needed please.

We all know why the Rangers took on Todd White. Getting rid of Brashear's guaranteed 1.4M cap hit, and Rismiller's poisonous attitude (Sather loaned him to Grand Rapids) and 1M cap hit off the summer books.

When first acquired, I just figured White would be waiver fodder, but it's well known White and Gaborik played together in Minnesota. White is two years removed from a 73 point season riding shotgun to Ilya Kovalchuk. He's not young, is coming off a shoulder injury, and has knee problems. He's not the quickest guy in the world, but does have decent hands, and will get his hands dirty in the corners.

Now, here's where it gets iffy. In my opinion, Todd White either wins the 1st line job centering Frolov and Gaborik, or he's gone. I do feel he will be given a legitimate shot to make the club, but only if he shows chemistry with the big guns. However, if he were to make the team, how do you see this playing out up front?

It seems he's been written off by most fans. If he does make the team, what happens to Erik Christensen? He does not have the skill set to be a bottom 6 player, and putting him in that role diminishes his value. He just doesn't have a game that translates well to the bottom six. Torts seems set on playing Dubinsky at LW with the glut of centers on the roster, but I'm curious to see how this plays out. Also, it bodes the question of who the odd man out would be in the top 6? If you go White, Frolov, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov, two of MZA/Callahan/Prospal get left out. Callahan is being pressed into a top 6 role, IMO he's more of a "scoring 3rd liner", who can provide 20 goals, get in on the forecheck, and provide endless energy on every shift. I don't see Anisimov getting 3rd line minutes, I think he's going to be given a shot to see what he can do with more minutes, and will get a shot with the top line in camp.

Drury is the 3rd line center (and will get his power play time -- I think he'll have a semi- bounce back if used properly), and Anisimov is going to get every chance to develop with more ice time in a top 6 role. With Kennedy (who projects better as a wing)/Boyle fighting for a spot, I just don't know. What I do know, is given the Rangers cap constraints, White at 2.375M is not going to be a checking line player.

Last edited by Slick Rick 61: 09-17-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Slick Rick 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:01 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

No dilemma, waive him... He's not going to be a Ranger beyond 1 season so I see no reason to utilize him in any important role on this current roster... His cap hit needs to go... Vinny Prospal is the only stop-gap player that should play any important role on our top 3 lines...

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
We have sort of a fight for Gaborik center going on once again in camp.

I am sure that Christensen, Stepan, and maybe even White will be given solid minutes in preseason games to try to impress.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
BOXPLAY

Send a message via AIM to BOXPLAY
the name Todd White and the word Dilemma should not be in the same sentence

BOXPLAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
Slick Rick 61

I should have put "potential dilemma." It certainly is if you consider that most mock rosters have him off the books. It will be interesting to see what happens if he impresses it camp.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Consider the fact that he was a salary dump for ATL agreeing to take Brashear's cap hit... I highly doubt the Rangers pursued him as an option for our 1st line center... They were talking to any team willing to take Brashear's cap hit and Todd White happened to be the salary we had to take back to get them to agree to the deal...

Old
09-17-2010, 02:15 PM
Slick Rick 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Consider the fact that he was a salary dump for ATL agreeing to take Brashear's cap hit... I highly doubt the Rangers pursued him as an option for our 1st line center... They were talking to any team willing to take Brashear's cap hit and Todd White happened to be the salary we had to take back to get them to agree to the deal...
My best judgment tells me he's going down to Hartford as well. Atlanta's whole goal obivously was to save actual cash, while getting closer to the cap floor, all while buying out Brashear. But again, I just can't see the team saying "adios, go ride the bus in Hartford.", if he shows chemistry.

Old
09-17-2010, 02:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
My best judgment tells me he's going down to Hartford as well. Atlanta's whole goal obivously was to save actual cash, while getting closer to the cap floor, all while buying out Brashear. But again, I just can't see the team saying "adios, go ride the bus in Hartford.", if he shows chemistry.
Correct, and the Rangers whole goal was to get rid of Brashear's cap hit and presumably not take back a higher cap hit in the process.... I think Todd White would have to blow away the competition to stay up on the NHL roster, in the same manner that Redden would have to blow everybody away to avoid being waived... In both cases, I think the chances are highly unlikely....

Old
09-17-2010, 03:58 PM
CM PUNK

the only way it becomes a 'dilemma' imo is if redden somehow makes the team and we have to find other ways to clear cap space at which point white becomes the number #1 option to waive.

if we get rid of redden that puts us below the cap by enough that if we carried white over any other forward we'd still be under.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Vitto79

If they chose to keep Redden could they not do it by sending White, Eminger, Zuccarello, Gilroy down?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We have sort of a fight for Gaborik center going on once again in camp.

I am sure that Christensen, Stepan, and maybe even White will be given solid minutes in preseason games to try to impress.
It's like going to a heavyweight fight and watching middleweights go at it. Not a one of these guys are good enough to be #1. On some teams this woudln't even qualify as a fight for 2nd line center.

Christensen- Not nearly consistant enough to be even 2nd line center to me, nevermind top line.

Stepan- Rookie who never played a game of pro. With his skinny frame and college schedule there is no way he could hack that all season. He would break down for sure.

White- Um no.

Vinny Prospal come on down! And no he's not a top line center either but atleast he can fake it better than the others.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 04:54 PM
Black Tank

As an amusing exercise read the Atl board and see what fans who have seen a lot of White think. I know we're not much better off than Atl but they thought he was crap so it's hard to imagine him becoming a player for us. Forget about his stats in the past, they are as meaningful today as Drury's greatness and Redden's abilities in the past.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Dr. Ogrodnick

My understading was that White wasn't on the ice with Gaborik very often in Minny, but I could be wrong about that.

I think it comes down to Wade Redden. If the Rangers like the defense without him and he's the hartford casuality then White is in. If healthy, White is definitely one of the top 4 centers on the team and should play. However, the other cap option is a combination of White and guys like boyle/Gilroy/eminger/Kennedy etc.

Of course all the Rangers could change all that with a trade or two, and considering how heavy they are right now it certainly seems likely.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 05:42 PM
HockeyBurd*

I think training camp will make things very clear and solve all potential dilemma's.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
CarciLOL

Christensen is a maybe. He's been inconsistent his entire NHL career. Yea he's young, and has some potential, but I don't think he'll maintain it through the year.

Prospal was great last season. I see some people penciling his name in on our 3rd line which doesn't make sense considering he was second on our team in scoring last season. I guess some might be anticipating him to have his usual off-year? Hopefully he doesn't.

Anisimov is still young. We all want to see this kid take over the second line center spot, and keep it. Will he be ready for that this year though?

I still see potential in Boyle. I think he's still rounding out his game, getting used to playing primarily at Center. But realistically, he's a career 4th liner.

Kennedy might be able to take that 4th line spot if he looks defensively competent; something he hasn't shown in the past. He won't play in our top-6 though unless he hits his ceiling quickly.

Drury forgot how to generate scoring opportunity's. You can't expect him to Center our top-6, unless he figures things out.

Our centers ****. They are all question marks. From a roster POV, White's a great addition. If healthy, he's a quality hockey player. If he's not healthy, his cap hit wouldn't pose much of a problem. It's a win-win situation.

The cap flexibility we'll have by demoting Redden will open up a lot of different opportunity's for guys like White. I think people here are completely ignoring how thin we are at Center.

It's a long season. Players slump; get injured; get in the doghouse, etc. There is no dilemma with White. It was a brilliant move by Slats, any way you slice it.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2010, 11:31 PM
CanyonofBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan1416 View Post
I posted this on two other forums. Mods, I didn't see anything related to this topic specifically, but merge if needed please.

We all know why the Rangers took on Todd White. Getting rid of Brashear's guaranteed 1.4M cap hit, and Rismiller's poisonous attitude (Sather loaned him to Grand Rapids) and 1M cap hit off the summer books.

When first acquired, I just figured White would be waiver fodder, but it's well known White and Gaborik played together in Minnesota. White is two years removed from a 73 point season riding shotgun to Ilya Kovalchuk. He's not young, is coming off a shoulder injury, and has knee problems. He's not the quickest guy in the world, but does have decent hands, and will get his hands dirty in the corners.

Now, here's where it gets iffy. In my opinion, Todd White either wins the 1st line job centering Frolov and Gaborik, or he's gone. I do feel he will be given a legitimate shot to make the club, but only if he shows chemistry with the big guns. However, if he were to make the team, how do you see this playing out up front?

It seems he's been written off by most fans. If he does make the team, what happens to Erik Christensen? He does not have the skill set to be a bottom 6 player, and putting him in that role diminishes his value. He just doesn't have a game that translates well to the bottom six. Torts seems set on playing Dubinsky at LW with the glut of centers on the roster, but I'm curious to see how this plays out. Also, it bodes the question of who the odd man out would be in the top 6? If you go White, Frolov, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Anisimov, two of MZA/Callahan/Prospal get left out. Callahan is being pressed into a top 6 role, IMO he's more of a "scoring 3rd liner", who can provide 20 goals, get in on the forecheck, and provide endless energy on every shift. I don't see Anisimov getting 3rd line minutes, I think he's going to be given a shot to see what he can do with more minutes, and will get a shot with the top line in camp.

Drury is the 3rd line center (and will get his power play time -- I think he'll have a semi- bounce back if used properly), and Anisimov is going to get every chance to develop with more ice time in a top 6 role. With Kennedy (who projects better as a wing)/Boyle fighting for a spot, I just don't know. What I do know, is given the Rangers cap constraints, White at 2.375M is not going to be a checking line player.
Whites insurance. Simple as that. If any of the younger guys like Stepan, Grachev, Weise, MZA don't earn a spot out of camp, White can be there to fill the gap and presumably put up decent minutes.

This is all assuming that White can sitll actually play though.

CanyonofBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 12:56 AM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Training camp will quickly sort the contenders from the pretenders.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:39 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

its been said before on this site

white is either going to be to a top 6 center for the team

or

he is fodder

the question is IF he does make the club (for whatever reason) who gets the bus ride to the AHL as a result ?

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:08 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Acquiring White was the price for dumping Brashear's $1.4 million 35 plus cap hit. Sather had Atlanta take Rissmiller to preserve the Rangers summer cap money for Staal. White's $2.375 million can come off the cap while Brashear's 35 plus cap hit was stuck on the cap. The Rangers didn't have to include a draft pick or young player to dump Brashear. They picked up White's $2.6 million salary. Atlanta saved $1 million in real money this season after buying out Brashear. Atlanta wanted to buyout White but they could not complete the transaction due to White's shoulder surgery. Injured players can't be waived and bought out.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote