HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Protecting hands from skate blade!

Old
09-17-2010, 08:22 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Protecting hands from skate blade!

I heard of a new product that you put on your blade like a squeege or something like that. Has anyone heard of this and if so, where can I get it and what's the dog gone name....thanks!

Head coach

09-18-2010, 02:22 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
http://www.originalskatesqueegee.com/

That maybe?

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
Right on! You are the man. Ok, next question for you? Have you heard anything about this product and have you used it? I was thinking about buying one for each of my players on the team this year. You know, something different then a towel.

Last year, I had 3 players, not watching what they were doing, slice their hands while drying their skates with a cloth. So this year, rather then having some players out for a couple of weeks during the season, I was thinking about sometype of preventitive measure to take care of this so this would happen again.

How, if I can only find someone that has used it!

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 03:36 PM
Jimers

lol... This product seems like a gag-gift. Maybe what they need is a lesson on how to safely clean a blade. I find it pretty hard to cut yourself if you hold the towel + skate properly.

Jimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:36 PM
weedsnager

buy them each a ShamWow they work great

weedsnager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimers View Post
lol... This product seems like a gag-gift. Maybe what they need is a lesson on how to safely clean a blade. I find it pretty hard to cut yourself if you hold the towel + skate properly.
I hear what you are saying, but for some reason, I see this year after year. I guess you never have cut yourself while wipping of the blade. You are just about the only person on earth that hasn't cut himself.

Hell, I been coaching for 30 years and I am on and off the ice 6 days a week and I too have had the opportunity to cut my finger. It just happens. You know, your taking in the dressing room and someone asks you a question while the skate is in your hand, and you know how to dry your skates...you have done it time after time without even thinking about it. It's like breathing air, you don't stop to think...ok, now I need to breath in and now I need to exhale...you just do it.

Well, the same thing happens when one is dryig off their skates. I don't think it's carelessness, I have seen players of all ages cut their hands trough the towel. I wonder how many other players have cut their hands...or am I the only one?

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 04:55 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I've never seen that happen. You must have a particularly distractible group. The only thing I've ever cut through with a skate blade is a bit of an old t shirt, and I've never cut my hand. I pinch the blade and force the towel down on it rather then ever having my hand directly forced down on the blade.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Jimers

If players are cutting their hands through the towel then they're probably wiping too hard or too fast. You're not cutting wood... it's just water.

Maybe for practice, suggest they help out with the dishes at home :-)

Oh well, whatever works I guess. If it's really happening that often, I guess it's a worthy investment.

Jimers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 06:58 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Right on! You are the man. Ok, next question for you? Have you heard anything about this product and have you used it? I was thinking about buying one for each of my players on the team this year. You know, something different then a towel.
I haven't, I just remember seeing it before on Youtube. I would never use one though. It seems to be hard to slide down the blade and I'd be afraid of it slipping suddenly and having my hand slide across the blade. No thank you deep slices on my knuckles. A towel works fine for me.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 07:10 PM
blueberrydanish

Well if ya got the extra cash might aswell if your players do it a handful of times a season...but personally Id tell em to maybe work on their off-ice hockey IQ =p.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 08:14 PM
Gino 14

It would seem that if someone is careless enough to cut themself because they weren't paying attention, getting them this gadget probably isn't going to solve the problem. If the fact that you're wiping off a razor sharp double edged blade isn't enough to make you pay attention for the two or three seconds that it takes to do it, maybe cutting yourself a couple times will help sink it in.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2010, 09:03 PM
DevsFan84

My suggestion:

http://ar-sports.com/item.php?cid=2&subid=375&id=3

These work really well, and they are also good for dulling down your blade when you first get them sharpened, or cleaning them after you stone them. Its a really tough material so you won't cut through it for a while.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:51 AM
densetsu

In addition to the comments that "players shouldn't be cutting their hands on their skates", the squeegee seems like such a specialized tool.

With a towel, you can wipe spray into your visor, wipe down your visor between shifts, clean off your skates, dry yourself off, wipe off your stick blade, wrap around your visor to protect it from scratches. There's countless uses for a tower. And if you're desperate -- like a beer-league teammate was tonight -- you can use it to quickly control bleeding (after which you should obviously properly clean the wound and apply sterile gauze).

I'd go with buying them a nice, durable, soft and absorbent towel, rather than a gimmicky tool.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Axxion89

I've never cut my hands on a skate blade ever! Even when I talk to people or rush its just being aware.

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I just use my soakers and I've been doing it for 12+ years, playing 3+ times a week including college and have never cut myself nor seen a teammate do so. It doesn't look like a bad product though. Might do a better job getting rid of moisture (or it could be worthless, need to hear a review). Unnecessary in my experience, but not a bad idea if it's been a problem in your lockerroom.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote